The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Hunt

Racouol

"is he ?" the first voice asked.

"No, I think he may still be alive." a deeper voice answered.

"Look! he is coming to." A third voice said.

Leshiec opened his eyes and saw two men and a woman standing over him. "Are you all right?" the woman asked while the two men helped him to his feet. "What happened?"

" I am not sure. Last thing I remember I was running from Tel Reth during the invasion. Next thing is see are the three of you standing over me" Leshiec said as he rubbed his chin. "What happened to Tel Reth anyways?"

"The invaders were forced to retreat. While the soldiers of Tel Reth were able to drive away the invaders, many of them died. Furthermore most of the city was destroyed during the attack." The bigger man said while nervously glancing into the woods.

"We decided that the best thing to do was to flee the city." the younger man said as he scratched at the stubble growing on his face. "Many of the other city folks are doing the same."

"We figured that we can warn the other towns we pass by of this demonic army. I doubt that the army will need to rest for long before they can make another attack like that."

"If you are interested you can join with us if you want." The woman spoke, "It would probably be a good idea, to travel in a group."

"I thank you for your generous offer, but I am afraid that I have pressing matters to attend to. I would for you to go out of your way to help me." Leshiec said as he started to back away.

"Nonsense, If you need to be somewhere we will go with you. Besides it looks like you are not well." The woman said.

"Very well. I will travel with you until I reach my destination. By the way, my name is Leshiec."

"My name is Fey, the young man is Agon, and the older one is Kron."

Edited by Racouol

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keal'vera sat in her usual place as she spied on Tayne. As usual, all the spell that kept her presence known were active and a teleport spell was just a thought away. She was still unsure if if Tayne knew of her presence, but if he did he gave no sign of it. She wanted to kill this human especially after he killed her favorate pet, however she knew that he was more than capable of her.

She watched Tayne as he packed his belonging. As he ran off she followed, jumping from shadow to shadow to keep hidden and keeping a good distance between Tayne and herself.

Drihiml, attack in three days

Drihiml opened his eyes and smiled. After waiting patiantly for several days he finally got the go ahead to continue his attack. He then grabbed his Falchion and began going over one of his dances.

"It is about time you got me out of that barrel." Ugarte snapped when he say the lid open. Bob just shrugged then gently lifted Ugarte out of the barrel. Ugarte quickly glanced around the area "You did make sure that we were completely alone before letting me out, right?" Bob grunted and nodded his head. "Good, then rest up. We leave for the Pen's Fortress tomorrow." Ugarte then took a razer and began shaving his head.

"How come you're being such a wimp about your arm, Mister? You fought so well against the demons before." Llassar looked with consternation at Robby, unable to understand his pain.

Robby, working to get over the sharp feelings shooting through his arm, simply answered, "Healing magic doesn't work on me."

Teq shot the boy a look for his rude directness, but went unseen.

Robby turned to the older swordsman a moment later. "Do you know how to splint an arm?"

"Oh, yes, of course," answered Teq, hurrying to grab the materials he needed. "I should have thought of that."

There was silence between the three as Robby's arm was splintered. Suddenly Teq cursed angrily. "Who would do this to our little town!?" he cried out.

Matter of factly, Robby replied, "Gyrfalcon."

Teq looked at the man in surprise. "You know?"

"I saw his flag flying at some of the ruins earlier."

"This ... Gyrfalcon ... will pay."

"He'll pay all right!" shouted Llassar, brandishing his sword. "We'll have to avenge Ma. Just let me at the man!"

"Gyrfalcon is very dangerous," warned Robby. "And there are already mercenaries out for his head."

Teq rubbed Llassar's shoulders to calm him, but spoke angrily enough himself. "I don't care. Gyrfalcon must die, and I will do everything in my power to bring this about."

Robby assessed the two, and apparently felt they could be trusted. "Then join us. I am already on my way to kill Gyrfalcon. Travel with me."

Teq nodded emphatically. "We will fight by your side again, it seems. If you mean to kill the man who brought about my Wellin's death, I will travel with you and help you."

Llassar pumped his fist in the air. "Death to Gyrfalcon!"

Gyrfalcon looked between Salinye and the bounty-hunter Mira before closing his eyes and massaging the bridge of his nose. “A demon army rampaging through our world is a serious problem.” he said quietly, trying to sort his thoughts out and starting with the most obvious one.

"How kind of you to notice after you set them loose." Mira spat.

Salinye turned her weary eyes from Gyrfalcon to her companion turned hostage. She placed a hand on his shoulder, "Mira. Even the worst of criminals get to plead their case, yes?" He violently shrugged her hand off, but clenched his jaw in silence once again.

Gyrfalcon clenched his jaw as well and turned towards Mira, his eyes blazing. “Understand this, bounty-hunter. Yes, at one time I was an Archmage. And yes, I led a host of demons when I was possessed by the arch-demon, Exophek. Through the valiant efforts of many, I was freed of his scourge and I helped stop the destruction he had started. I’ve spent centuries since that time trying to atone for what I did under his domination, and I still find those like yourself who aren’t interested in anything more then the gold on my head.” he said heatedly. Salinye placed a gentle hand on Gyrfalcon’s shoulder, hearing the pain that lay under his anger.

Mira looked shaken for a moment, then his eyes narrowed once more. “Tel Reth would prove differently, wouldn’t it?” he said evenly. Gyrfalcon leaned towards him, and Mira pressed back against the chair in the face of the half-elf’s anger. “Understand this, I lost my powers to help heal the wounds to Terra inflicted by the war. I can no longer cast spells, bounty-hunter. Ask Salinye if you don’t believe me, but I could hardly be the source of this demon army.”

Mira chuckled oddly. “Oh, is that her real name? Salinye? When your little spy went among us, she called herself Dove.” he said with a sneer directed her way. Salinye blushed and then shook her head, closing her mouth on whatever she was going to say.

It was suddenly too much for Gyrfalcon, and he closed his eyes and shook his head before turning to Salinye, his expression pained. “Please, could you watch over him? I’ll see to bringing a healer here to tend to both of your wounds, as well as getting meals sent up.” he said, voice flat as he forced himself back to a state of relative calm.

“Of course, GyrE.” Salinye said, though she looked slightly worried as she saw the pain still in his eyes.

Gyrfalcon let the door close softly behind him before he punched the wall hard, barely noticing the physical pain as he walked blindly towards his quarters. Once again, his past had caught up with him, and now it seemed that the Mighty Pen itself might be at risk if the demon army came. All of his friends at risk... because of his past. Gyrfalcon slumped against the wall and closed his eyes, a sick feeling bubbling through his stomach. All of his friends were in danger because of him. The thought left a sour taste in his mouth.

Salinye sighed as the door closed behind the ranger. Turning an angry eye on Mira, she allowed her frustration to get the better of her. “Why did you have to be so rude? Can’t you see this entire situation is really difficult for him?”

Mira laughed in disdain. “You’re asking that of the one who has been tied and gagged and is now held hostage against his will?” He spat his venom-laced words at her. “Sorry if my manners aren’t what you wish, Dove. Oh wait, or is it Salinye?”

As much as she wanted to dispute his angry words, she knew he had a right to feel as he did. She ran a hand through her hair and suddenly couldn’t go another minute without a shower. “Look, Mira. I know this looks bad to you, and I really meant what I said back in the stable. Look, I’m going to go clean up get changed. Afterwards, I’ll let you loose and we can talk. I’ll answer any questions you have.

“Yeah, like I can believe anything you say?” He scoffed.

She shook her head and walked into her bathing quarters slamming the door behind her.

--------------------------------------------------

An hour and a bubble bath later, Salinye returned to her sitting room feeling better than she had in a week. Her long blonde hair was still very damp and hung straight down her back. Her comfortable royal blue pajamas felt much more familiar than the wool country nightgown she was dressed in before. The bottom of the drawstring pants rested on the top of her manicured feet. Her sister used to tease her about her foot fetish. She could be going into battle, and beneath her boots, anyone who looked would find beautifully painted toenails.

Mira looked up at her and couldn’t help the surprise that crept into his face. She looked at him quizzically. “What? You’ve never seen anyone in pajamas before?”

He furrowed his brow and shook his head. “No, it’s not that. What happened to your tattoo? Let me guess, that was fake to?”

“I’m afraid so.” She said gently with a nod. “I’m actually a mage, not a fighter.”

He laughed bitterly and looked as if he might say something when they were interrupted by a knock at the door. “Hold that thought.” She said before standing, the door opening before her. Out in the hall stood Daryl, in human form, wearing sunglasses and holding a tray full of various foods. “Oh, Hey Tom.” She stepped out of his way. He cocked a curious brow, gave her a trademark smirk and entered the room.

Closing the door behind him she turned as he set the tray on the table. He then turned and pointed to Mira. “So, this the guy I’m supposed to kill? Gyrfalcon said you didn’t want to get any blood on your carpet, so I was supposed to take him down to the dungeons.”

Salinye folded her arms raising her eyebrow at the werefox. “Tom.” She cooed in her best “you be good” voice.

“So, what are your wishes? You want another head for your collection, or should I let the Scantavia boys at him?” Despite his words, a grin tugged at his lips, showing Mira that perhaps he only had a macabre sense of humor. Perhaps….

The mage rolled her eyes. “Don’t listen to him, Mira. He’s just causing trouble…as usual.” She pulled a chair up in front of Mira and sat down to face him. “Alright, you are free for the moment.” The moment she spoke the words, the bounty hunter felt the constricting binds loosen and disappear. “Now, before you get any grand ideas, let me just remind you that you’re horribly outnumbered. Before you could reach into your jacket and draw a dagger, we’d have you subdued. I promise to take good care of your weapons, but I’m going to have to ask for you to turn them over to me. If you refuse, I’ll have Tom here take them from you.”

Mira sized the two of them up thoughtfully. He didn’t know exactly what each of his captors was capable of, but something told him that if he was going to make a move, he should buy time until he found a better moment of opportunity. Daryl cracked his hands and grinned at Mira, the sunglasses reflecting back his own expression only making the expression more intimidating.

Silently, he reached into his jacket and handed her several daggers. “Is that all of them?” She asked him, her eyes bearing into his. He nodded. She considered him for a moment before standing and turning her back to him. “Alright, thank you. I’ll put them with the rest of your things.”

Daryl stepped forward, “Hey Sal, you want me to check him? Make sure he isn’t lying?”

“No. I believe him.”

He gently squeezed her arm. “Sal, you can’t just trust people like that. Let me check him.”

She placed her hand on top of his and smiled. “Tom, we spent the last several days at a farm house, he didn’t have much reason to carry many weapons. Most of his things were packed. Besides, I don’t think he’ll hurt me.”

Daryl let go of her arm and rubbed the back of his neck looking between her and her hostage. He knew Sal had good judgment, but he could tell from the look of her that she had been through quite an ordeal. “Alright. Are you sure you don’t want me to stay with you or something?”

Salinye smiled affectionately to her friend. “You’re very sweet to worry, but I think I have things under control. However, I was hoping you could send your pet fox over for the night. I could use some Daryl cuddling and I would appreciate a “guard dog” of sorts.”

Daryl shrugged easily, not fazed at the least by the sudden ploy. "If you want, Salinye, though he has this habit of growling at strangers."

“That’s alright, I’m sure after all Mira has been through, a little growling won’t bother him.”

Daryl gave her arm a quick squeeze before leaving her quarters.

Turning back to Mira she closed her eyes and whispered a few words under her breath. As she did so, a wall of energy formed between them. It had a very faint blue aura about it. Grabbing the tray, she set it on the floor and slid it through the wall to him. “I’m sorry to keep you caged. I gave you the side of the room that has the bathroom, if I need one, I’ll use another. If you need anything, please ask. For now, please eat, and I’m happy to answer any questions you may have.

Edited by Salinye

As Tayne made his way down the road, he had the distinct feeling that he was being followed. There was an itch in the back of his neck that usually came from hunting and being hunted over all these years. Whoever it was, they were silent though, and pretty good at hiding. Everytime he looked around discretely, he couldn't pick up any signs of someone following him. However, it was one of his many magical devices that told him to be cautious. In his left ear was a ring that detected magic being used nearby. It rang like a bell inside his head, telling him that most likely there was someone using a spell to hide from him. Tayne often sat on the border between fear and hate of magic users. Ever since he was young, they had had nothing but an ill-effect on him and his family. As much as he'd like to kill whoever it was that was following him, there was no way to tell if they'd be able to overtake him or not. Perhaps if he was able to lure them into a trap of some sort, he'd be able to take the advantage. As he weighed to pros and cons of such an idea, he concluded it'd be best to continue as he was until the person following him decided to take some sort of action. After all, it'd be foolish for him to put himself in even the slightest position of disadvantage. On he trudged, insofar unbothered until he finally came upon a sign that read:

The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword Keep and Town: 2 Miles

He was close. He could taste the blood that would be spilled. He could hear the cries of pain that would echo through the halls. Most importantly, he could feel the billion-geld reward that he'd take all for himself filling his coffers.

In response to Salinye’s bid for questions Mira plopped himself down into one of the rooms overstuffed chairs and simply sat there, staring at Salinye through the magic barrier that turned the room into a prison. When it became clearly evident that Mira had no intentions of asking any questions, Salinye picked a book up from out of another chair on her side of the room, sat down and began to read. From time to time she would look up from her book to glance at Mira who was now sat rather slouched, his arms hanging down the sides of the chair. He had yet to break his stare.

The minutes passed, and eventually gave way to hours. Some time during those hours there was a knock on the door. Without looking up from her book Salinye willed the door open, allowing a small red fox to come in. The fox, which was obviously the Daryl Sal had asked “Tom” to send over, headed strait to where Sal was sitting and hopped up into her lap. He then curled-up, and closed his eyes. Only slightly disturbed by the fox’s leap, Sal continued reading, now with one hand holding the book while the other absently rubbed the fox’s soft fur.

The sky grew dark as night fell and Salinye was forced to light several candles to continue reading. Still another hour passed until Mira suddenly said, “So tell me, do you love him?”

Both woman and fox lifted their head and looked at Mira with a puzzled expression.

“Love who?” Salinye answered, narrowing her eyes as she did.

Mira chuckled, “The half-elf, do you love him.”

Without any hesitation she replied, “No more then I love any of my friends, if that’s what you’re asking.”

“So all that talk of you being his women was another lie?”

“I believe the words I used were ‘knew him intimately’, not ‘women’”, Sal replied, saying the last word with a certain venom. “But yes, that was yet another lie, I really do seem full of them lately.”

Mira rolled his eyes and was planning to return to brooding, but Salinye had other plans.

“Don’t you think that I’ll take that kind of attitude from you!” she said in that kind of tone a mother takes with and insubordinate child. “You saved my life, yes, and for that I’m grateful, but you were being paid to kill Gyrfalcon, my friend, and if you think for a minute that I regret kidnapping and holding you like this, you're dead wrong.” Then regaining her composure she said, “I only wish you could see the lies Urgarte told you for what they are.”

Now it was Mira’s turn to raise his voice. “Lies! I saw his banner as clear as day not a week ago, lying in the ruins of what had been Tel Reth. And from what you’ve told me today, I don’t think you’re in a position to accuse anyone of lying!”

Both of them were surprised to find that they were now standing, wordlessly glaring at one another. Salinye had her hands clenched in fists at her sides and it took all her will to keep from trembling visibly with rage. Daryl had placed himself between the two humanoids and was fiercely growling at Mira, but Mira paid the fox no attention. Several moments passed, with neither side willing to stand down. Finally Salinye whirled around and retreated into her bedchambers with a slam of the door.

Mira felt a twinge of guilt as he once again sat down. He hadn’t meant to be quite so angry or rude, but he couldn’t stop himself. They had been getting along so well together, first back in Tel Reth and then on the farm, that he had hoped she was beginning to like him, at least as a friend. But now he knew the truth, that she saw him as an enemy. How had he let her manipulate him like this? In truth he was angrier with himself then he was with her. This wasn’t the first time he had let his interests in a girl get him into trouble, but he swore to himself that it would be the last. Looking down he noticed the tray of food that had lay in the middle of the floor, forgotten since Salinye slid it over to his side of the room some hours ago. He reached over to it and pulled from off it an apple. With a grumpy look on his face, he bit a chunk out of it, suddenly realizing how hungry he was.

When only the core remained, Mira looked around for a place to put it. He noticed that Daryl had curled up in Salinye’s chair and was fast asleep. Then turning his gaze to his side of the room he noticed a set of curtains. So as to not wake the sleeping fox, he quietly made his way to the curtains and peeked through them. Apparently Salinye had forgotten to block this window with her spell and looking out Mira took in his surroundings as best he could in the starlit night. From what he could tell, he was about four stories up, above a large courtyard. Looking around he saw other buildings and light streamed out of at least a dozen other windows, vainly attempting to mimic the stars above. He must be in some sort of castle he reasoned. Knowing that castles were usually filled with armed guards who had express instructions to kill intruders on sight, he would have usually thought better of attempting an escape, but Mira’s current mood gave him the extra motivation he needed to attempt regardless. He knew he was much too high up to simply jump out, but the walls were made of hewn stone, which was perfect for climbing. Even in the dark, Mira was pretty sure that if he took his time, he’d be able to make it all the way down to the ground. Once on the ground he would start worrying how to get past the rest of the castle’s pitfalls. Mira swung his legs out the window, and felt around for a foothold. Then he began to lower himself the rest of the way out.

He was almost all the way out of the window, and was currently looking down when he felt a tug followed by a distinct growl. Looking up Mira saw that Daryl had latched on to his shirt and was trying to pull him back into the room. Mira was thoroughly amused by the fox’s actions, but that amusement was quickly replaced with horror as he witnessed an amazing transformation. Suddenly Daryl was not the cute, loveable, little fox he had been just moments before. Now he was a monster. Half man, half fox, Daryl grabbed Mira by the neck with one of his newly formed hands and roughly pulled him back through the window. Mira tried to let out a yell, but the intense pressure on his throat made any noise other then a pathetic croak all but impossible. With a roar Daryl threw Mira sliding across the floor, and into the magic barrier. From a heap on the floor Mira instinctively reached inside his coat for daggers that were not there. Looking up, he could only stare with a shocked look on his face as the man-beast made its way across the room to him.

"Daryl No!" Shouted Salinye as she burst out of her room. "Don't harm him!"

"But he was trying to escape." Daryl said his gaze still fixed on Mira.

"And you've caught him. Now there is no longer a reason to be violent."

Daryl snapped his jaws at Mira and let out a low growl. Then leaning close, he harshly said to him, "You may have known pain in your life, but if you somehow manage to hurt her, I'll show you pain like you've never imagined. And the next time you try to escape, you had better be silent, because if I catch you again, I'll make you silent."

Then Mira and Salinye both looked on as Daryl transformed into his human form. The sight put a queasy feeling in his stomach. The whole thing was just unnatural.

Once human Daryl turned to Salinye asking, "What would you have me do now?"

"Wait here." she said disappearing into her bedchambers. She reemerged several seconds latter caring a thin spring coat. Donning she said, "I'm going out to get some air and to clear my head. Daryl, watch Mira until I get back, and don't you cause any trouble." Turning to Mira she said, "I was hoping you wouldn't attempt to escape, and that I could allow you free reign of my quarters. I know that you hate this current situation, I would too if the roles were reversed, but any escape attempt will undoubtedly end badly for you, and until you realize that, you will be confined to this half of the room."

With that the door to her quarters swung open, and Sal walked out with a quiet whisking of her pajama pants. The door immediately closed behind her and Daryl and Mira were left alone.

Edited by Mira

Salinye inhaled the cool spring night air in deeply as she walked through the courtyard. After so many days pinned down in the farm house, then the last several hours caught in a battle of wills with Mira in her quarters; she just needed a few minutes alone with her thoughts. Although her dove had come to her, like she beckoned, she had sent the message that she wished for the druid to visit her tomorrow. Gyrfalcon had given her enough healing that she would be able to be remotely comfortable throughout the night. She was still quite tender, and her energy was more than sapped, but she knew once her faithful druid friend tended to her, she’d be as good as new.

Looking up to the stars she leaned back against the courtyard fountain. She allowed herself to drift into her thoughts. She pondered her “prisoner”. How she wished she could make him see the truth. She hated the way he looked at her with such contempt and anger. However, if that was the price of protecting Gyrfalcon, then so be it, she only wished she could make him see. Then there was Gyrfalcon. She could see how heavily this situation weighed on him. Saw his pain, heard it in his voice. If only she had the ability to mend such pains…

It seemed it was quite easy to get into The Pen's keep. Much easier than Tayne had expected, anyways. He had decided against asking for Gyrfalcon's whereabouts however; even though he was certain no one knew about the current hunt for Gyrfalcon, it was still well known that there was a bounty on his head. Strangers appearing at dusk asking for someone in particular weren't usually a good sign, and any sort of supsicion on himself would blow his cover. So instead he had requested a bit of food and a place to sleep for the night. After a few hours of reviewing his plans, he slipped out the window, and made his way down a cobbled path that led from one courtyard into another.

Cautiously and silently he stepped on, and noticed an elven woman standing by a fountain. Alone. Unarmed. Tayne took a look around. There seemed to be no lights coming out of any windows nearby. He supposed he could have a quick minute of personal enjoyment here and now. After all, he was certain he was days ahead of his competition. Pulling down his hood, and walking in a normal matter, he approached the woman. "Hey there," he said in a friendly voice that edged on sinister, "Don't you know it's dangerous to be out alone this time of night?" In a smooth motion, Tayne moved one of his still-concealed arms slightly and produced a dagger in one hand.

Whateve Salinye was thinking at this point, it disappeared. She had been so wrapped up in thought that she hadn't even noticed anyone approaching her. Hoping that she hadn't jumped when Tayne addressed her, she laughed slightly and turned around as she said, "Yes, so they say..." her words were cut short as she recognized who was in front of her. One of the bounty hunters who hadn't gone to Tel Reth was now here, right in front of her! Her mind raced for something to say! She had to make a plan...

...Tayne's faced quirked for a moment. He had recognized Salinye's voice, but it took him a few moments to place it. "Dove? Yes, that's you, isn't it?" she nodded and Tayne grinned, "So, I guess you got here ahead of everyone too. It's a shame I'll have to split the bounty with you, but I suppose a little help wouldn't help. Of course, we *are* probably pretty far ahead of everyone, and no one's around..." Salinye made a face of disgust and shook her head. Tayne didn't seem to mind and just continued on, "Anyways, what's with the look?"

"Well..." still somewhat affronted from Tayne's insinuated offer, Salinye did her best to regain her composure, "...I didn't want Gyrfalcon or anyone else to recognize me, so I cast this illusion on myself." that seemed to make Tayne frown. She paused for a second as her plan snapped to place in her mind. "Listen, I know where Gyrfalcon sleeps, and I can lead you to him right now. I think I'm going to need some back up anyways, so you may as well come along."

Tayne thought for a moment, then nodded. "Very well then, lead the way." he gestured with his open hand for Salinye to lead, and he fell in behind her. After a few feet of walking, he struck with lightning-like alacrity. Dagger in hand, he stabbed Salinye in the lower back, piercing her flesh and spraying blood all over the cobble. She turned and stared at Tayne in pure disbelief as she fell to the ground. She tried to mouth something, but she was too shocked to form words. As he leaned in to finish her off, her defensive reflexes sprung to life and Salinye kicked Tayne in the shin, hard. This sent him tumbling back a couple steps with a growl. The large warrior reached into his cloaks and pulled out another hand axe and lunged at Salinye again. Gathering her wits as quickly as possible, she muttered a few words and there was a blinding flash of light. Tayne dropped to the ground, covering his eyes; Salinye hobbled to her feet, cast a haste and an invisibility spell on herself and sped off towards the nearest door. She rushed through it and made her way as quickly as possible towards Gyrfalcon's chambers.

Meanwhile, Tayne writhed on the ground, completely surprised. After all his preparations, he had fell victim to a simple light spell. The thought hadn't occured to him that someone would use a spell that wouldn't be targeting him directly; he had figured Gyrfalcon would be throwing fireballs and lightning bolts at him, not a bloody light spell! He cursed his luck, pulled himself to his feet and tried shaking the stars away from his eyes. The cursed woman had got away, and knew where Gyrfalcon was. He had to find her before she got to him... and then something dawned on him... what if she happenned to be on Gyrfalcon's side? She could have been leading him into a trap. He cursed his luck again and decided regardless of what her plans were, he *had* to get to her as soon as possible. He decided to head farther down the courtyard, opposite of the direction he had came from. A few steps down the road, he noticed that there seemed to be droplets of blood leading to a doorway not too far away. Of course, he *had* stabbed her, so naturally, there was a blood trail. Grinning, he put his hood back on, and hurried towards the door. Quietly as possible, he slipped inside, and found it was easier to see the blood trail inside. Grinning with murderous glee, he followed it and hoped blindly to find Salinye before she could cause him any trouble...

Edited by The Big Pointy One

Salinye staggered down the corridors of Pen Castle. Blinding pain radiating from the lower left side of her back and pulsating up and down her body. She wasn’t a healer and didn’t know a lot about wounds, but she could already feel waves of nausea sweeping over her from blood loss. Her only thought was to get to Gyrfalcon, first to warn him and second to see if he could cast at least a minor healing spell to slow the bleeding until she could get to a priest or a druid.

She could feel the hot sticky blood soaking into her pajamas and dripping down her leg. She pressed at the wound with her left hand, vainly trying to add pressure. She stopped to lean against the wall as she neared the first flight of stairs in the tower that housed Gyrfalcon, Daryl and her personal chambers. Not wanting to pause for too long, she took a step only to slip in the puddle of blood that had pooled up at her feet. Catching herself on the stairs she groaned and heaved herself back into a standing position. Climbing the first flight she didn’t even think to stop at her own quarters, forgetting entirely that Daryl was there and would help her. She only had enough mental strength to concentrate on one goal through the intense pain. “Get to Gyrfalcon.”

Rounding the corner and climbing the second flight of stairs, she paused at the door to Daryl’s empty chambers, gasping to catch her breath. Finally, rounding yet another corner to face another flight of stairs, she was careful not to slip in the blood this time. Sucking in her breath she trudged up the stairs as quickly as she could grimacing with every movement. Finally she reached the door to Gyrfalcon’s chambers. Placing a bloody hand against the door to steady her, she pulled her other hand from her wound and reached for the doorknob only to have it slip from her bloody grasp. Finally, she banged against the door with the flat of her hand.

Inside his quarters, Gyrfalcon looked up sharply, the rattling of the doorknob and then the banging on the door surprising the half-elf. Cautiously, he snatched up his katana and moved to open the door. Salinye heard the movement inside and leaned against the doorframe impatiently waiting. Cracking the door open, katana held defensively. He opened it further and blinked in surprise at the blood-covered corridor, door handle, and the bloody handprint on the door. "What...?" He stared through the cracked opening in confusion.

“Gyre,” she mumbled through her pain.

“Salinye?” He said startled. She leaned forward and he allowed her to push the door open. He grasped her arm blindly as her body weight became supported by him. She gasped in pain as his grip jostled the hand she had pressed against her wound.

"What happened, why are you invisible?" He said, his concern growing to fear as he looked down to see a drop of blood join others on the floor, then another. And another.

Salinye pushed against him trying desperately to get him to back further into the room while kicking her foot behind her in a vain attempt at shutting the door. "Bounty hunter attacked me." She said relaxing a little finally able to release the concentration needed to hold the invisibility spell. Gyrfalcon pulled her into the room and thrust the door shut behind her. Salinye grimaced as she leaned back for a brief moment, enough to twist the lock and hear it snick behind her.

Gyrfalcon's eyes narrowed. "Mira?" he said, voice dangerous as he pulled her deeper into the room, forcing her to lie down on the bed so he can inspect her wound.

She shook her quickly paling head to the negative as she rolled on her side, her back to him. Her dark blue pajamas were drenched in blood. Gyrfalcon frowned seeing the severity of her injury and placed his hands over her back. He quickly chanted the most powerful spell of healing he had remaining to him that night, one that hadn’t been necessary earlier. She cried out softly as the healing powers pulsed through her with a burning pain. Gyrfalcon didn’t pause from his chanting as his thoughts divided. …though, that makes it all the more dangerous. Daryl would have torn Mira limb from limb if it had been him. But if there is another… The half elf’s eyes flickered to the trail of blood leading from the door to the bed, never ceasing his healing chant.

Salinye spoke between pained gasps of air. “I…would have…fought him…but…he got a surprise…attack…knew I needed…healing..”

Gyrfalcon’s words faded to silence as he finished his healing spell. “I know, Salinye. I know. He said, summoning his katana to him and setting it next to her as he prepared himself to cast another spell. She turned onto her back and raised a bloody hand out to him. “No, no more healing, this is enough to keep me conscious, you need energy to fight. I’m okay for now."

“No you aren’t, Salinye. Now roll back over and hold still while I cast again.” He said gently but sternly and with concern in his eyes. They never had time to debate the issue as two axe blades slammed through his door causing splinters of wood to fly all about the room. The ranger immediately grabbed his katana and stood in a defensive stance, while she prepared to cast a ward of protection upon him.

Edited by Salinye

"Lets go Bob, we need to get the the Pen's keep before the demons decide to attack it." Ugarte said while he slid his had across his head. Bob opened his eyes and looked at Ugarte for a moment. "What is the matter with you Bob. We need to hurry with your incredible speed we should be able to get there within 2 days. We need to get to the keep before the attack. You also do not need to worry about revealing us to our enemies. " Ugarte quickly crawled onto Bob's back.

Bob looked at Ugarte and nodded. His body then started to change...

Keal'vera smiled as she watched Tayne bury his dagger into the elven woman's back. She admired how he was easily able to perform such a sneak attack and knew that without healing the woman would die. Keal'vera was further amused when she saw Salinye kick Tayne in an attempt to stay alive. She watched as the elf cast her light and invisability spell to make a getaway. Keal'vera decided not to dispel the invisability and instead see if Tayne can catch her without any help.

Keal'vera allowed the shadows she used to hide herself to dissipate after Tayne left. She stretched her wings and sauntered to the still fresh blood on the ground. She then knelt down and slid her finger across the puddle. She then lapped the blood off the finger and frowned. Elven blood usually tasted sweet, however, while still sweet, it seemed to taste slightly odd.

A scream from behind her startled Keal'vera for just a second. Insinctly she spun around and cast a spell at the area the scream came from. The scream stopped immediatly and Keal'vera watched as a young woman fought to get air into her lungs. As the woman finally fell, Keal'vera cast another spell to gather the shadows around her again. Moving from shadow to shadow, she followed the trail of .

The pen came alive with mages flying all over the place in the air and guards running around on the ground. They all heard the alarm, an alarm that meant there was a demon in the keep. This alarm could only be heard by the people living here but anyone could tell that something was amiss.

Edited by Gyrfalcon

Following Salinye's blood trail was easy enough. Noticing how it seemed to pool a bit around a few corners and at the bottom of a couple sets of stairs. In fact, there was a spot that looked like someone had slipped; Tayne assumed it was her. Grinning his mad man grin again, Tayne hurried along up the stairs. He had to be catching up to her at this rate. Hopefully he'd find her before someone else did. As he rushed onwards, a few wanderers were confused to see a blurry image of what must of been a man running by. In fact, one unfortunate person got knocked aside by the large man. Unluckily for Tayne, it slowed him down by a few crucial seconds. Combined with a few more seconds here and there that he spent examining certain parts of the blood trail, he managed to lose enough time to allow Salinye to escape into Gyrfalcon's chamber.

After a few scant minutes, Salinye's trail ended right at a door which Tayne assumed was Gyrfalcon's chamber. He pressed his ear against the door to confirm the fact. He heard conversation between Salinye's familiar voice and an unknown male voice which Tayne assumed belonged to Gyrfalcon. Figuring there was no time like the present, he tossed his cloak aside, and swung his hand-axes into the door, hard. He pulled out the hand axes from the door, swung them in a few more times and then booted the door wide open.

"Salinye...?" Gyrfalcon said quietly.

The elven sorceress nodded as she completed casting the ward around Gyrfalcon. "It's him."

At this point, words weren't necessary. Gyrfalcon rushed in, his katana weaving around Tayne's vicious handaxes. The two swung back and forth, metal ringing on metal often. Blows were made, but at first they were only light. A small slash along an arm... a nick around the face... a tear in the clothing that revealed armour beneath. The two experienced warriors were testing each other. As their pace began to hasten, Gyrfalcon couldn't help but notice that Tayne's wounds seemed to be closing themselves fairly rapidly. He noted that as he pressed harder, with a multitude of quick slashes and feints intending to trap Tayne's hand-axes. However, the large man was on to Gyrfalcon's strategy, and as soon as he got to the point where the ranger would have both of his axes locked in place, he released his grip completely, dropping both axes and pulled out his broadsword in one hand and a knife in the other. As he swung the sword, flame trailed in the air from the back of his blade. He caught Gyrfalcon somewhat offguard with the maneuver and even though the half-elf was able to recover fast enough to go for a killing blow, Tayne managed to turn in time to avoid the blow. He knocked Gyrfalcon's blade to the side then followed up with a kick to his chest that sent him flying to the ground. Turning back around, Tayne launched the knife in his right hand at Gyrfalcon's throat as the ranger fell to the ground...

“Ugarte! Bob!” Robby’s cry was shortly echoed by that of Llassar, but there was no response. They’d been searching the ruins of Ugarte’s estate for several hours without any sign of Robby’s wealthy alleged patron. Robby had recovered a servant’s uniform and had replaced the tattered and scorched rags he was wearing with it, without bothering to get his right arm into the sleeve, but that was the most exciting thing they’d found so far.

“I heard something, there!” Llassar dashed to a pile of ruined stone and brick and began furiously digging Robby and Teq ran to aid him, but not quite as quickly as they had the first three times Llassar had thought he’d heard a muffled cry for help under the rubble. Teq was exhausted and the when the stiff fabric rubbed against Robby’s burns it was quite painful.

Robby mused that if he were healthy he could have made faster progress than the three of them were now making by working together. Instead he dug weakly and only used his left hand. Teq was in a similar situation, lifting heavy pieces of stone with relative ease, but moving slowly from a mixture of blood loss and exhaustion.

Then, to the surprise of all but Llassar, the rubble emitted a faint groan. Robby and Teq bent all their limited strength to the task now, and the three rescuers came to an intact section of wall between themselves and whoever was trapped within.

“Robby?” Teq said.

Robby shook his head, “I could knock a hole in it, but I might kill him. Let’s try to dig around.”

Minutes passed and the digging continued. With all the injured and unaccounted for in the city there was no one else to help and the work went slowly. Eventually they managed to uncovered the broken edges of the small section of wall. The three of them lifted together and discovered a man trapped beneath.

The man far too heavy-set to be Ugarte, but not nearly large enough to be Bob. He screamed as they lifted. He was lying in a dip in the rubble, which he must have fallen into just before the wall came down. The small, hollow space had saved his life but the lower half of one leg had not been in the dip with the rest of him, and had been crushed nearly to the point of being severed.

He clawed at the legs of the companions, and begged for aid, nearly tripping Teq with disastrous results as they pushed the ruined stone completely clear of him. Once the nature of the injury became apparent Llassar began looking ill.

“Llassar, go find a priest!” Teq ordered. Llassar gave a weak nod and staggered off to comply.

“Your son hasn‘t seen combat before today, I take it.” Robby said as he attempted with only his left arm to stop the injured man’s thrashing, which could only worsen the injury.

Teq kept his torso pinned as he spoke, “I’ve taught him how to use a sword, but you can’t teach some one how to deal with what the sword does.”

Robby brought a knee into play in an effort to prevent any more blood from pouring out the injured leg. He debated trying to render the fellow unconscious, but decided it might be dangerous, as he didn’t really know what other sorts of injuries were at work here. “He did pretty well, I think.”

“He’s just coming down from his battle-rush now, though” Teq said. Whatever he was going to add, conversation stopped when the thrashing of the injured man’s intact leg brought it suddenly into contact with Robby’s broken arm. Much to Teq’s relief Robby didn’t release the injured leg though he seemed to stop breathing for a moment.

An undetermined period of time passed in silence with both men focussed on their injured charge before Llassar returned with an old, exhausted looking priest who himself sported a painful looking cut across his mostly bald head. Several more minutes passed as the priest recited prayers that his god mend this unworthy mortal flesh. The injured man stopped his mad attempts to escape, but Robby and Teq did not release him until the priest announced he’d finished.

The man didn’t rise from the ground, instead he commented that his leg still hurt.

“Oh yes, don’t walk on it, yet.” The priest sighed tiredly, “The bones will be very fragile for a few weeks.” Only then he noticed Robby’s arm, “It’s been splinted properly, Give it time.” And he tiredly moved on.

Llassar and Teq managed to fashion crude crutches from the surrounding rubble, having only one useful arm Robby wasn’t of particularly great use in the process, and instead he wandered off, continuing to search the rubble.

“Teq. Lassar.” He called in a voice that was calm but carried with it a certain urgency.

Teq approached at a controlled jog. Llassar, alarmed by seriousness of Robby’s tone, drew his blade and approached more slowly. When they found Robby, however, he appeared to be in no danger.

Robby reached into a hole he’d dug into the rubble and drew from it a handful of shining whitish coins.

“Silver?” Llassar asked, not recognizing the metal they were made from.

Robby tossed a coin to Llassar and when he caught it he was surprised by the heft. It was far too heavy to be silver, too heavy to be gold, even.

“Platinum.” Robby said.

Llassar turned to coin over in wonder, his home hadn’t been worth this coin.

“You’re holding a small fortune,” Teq said to Robby, suspicion creeping into his voice.

“And there’s a much larger fortune here.” Robby supplied, “The money Ugarte was willing to pay for Gyrfalcon‘s head.”

“You knew this was here,” Teq said, “You came here to loot the ruins.”

“I don’t like robbing the dead.” Robby explained, “but he hardly needs this now, and I intend to use this money for the same thing Ugarte would have. We can’t nearly carry all of it, but we can still hire a few swords on our way to kill Gyrfalcon."

Edited by Tamaranis

Curled in a ball under the table that they had all been sitting at holding the mask in one fist and trying to figure out how she was going to manage how to get out of this mess when she heard Robby ,Teq and Llassar scabbleing though the rubble of the mansion. Though she had little room to manouver she got in position to bang on the underside of the table with her feet. Bang! Bang! Bang! "I hope they hear me soon." She had no magic left to get herself out having used all of her strength to hold up her shields as the chaos began.

"Can anyone hear me?" Bang Bang Bang!!! "Please goddess! with one spark of borrowed magic the little stored in her crystal necklace Wren sends a bright purple light out though the rubble "Please let them find me"

Edited by WrenWind

Gyrfalcon made to roll backwards, propelled by the force of the assassin’s kick. But instead he froze as a pulse of sound roared through his skull, one of the Pen’s many silent alarms. His mind cleared in a split second, but by that time the dagger had reached his throat.

And it deflected away cleanly, the blade ringing like it struck a stone wall. Gyrfalcon rolled to his feet even as the faint blue glow surrounding him faded once more, facing the snarling mercenary who swung his flaming long sword in one hand, drawing another dagger with his free hand. Behind Gyrfalcon and to his left, Salinye moved her hands in precise patterns, muttering the words of a spell.

As the mercenary advanced, Salinye uttered the final words of the spell and pointed a hand at Tayne. A massive arc of lightning shot from her hand to the mercenary... and split around him, merging on the other side to thunder out the doorway and down the corridor, bouncing from wall to wall. “He’s resistant to magic, GyrE!” she said, not entirely surprised but disappointed none the less by the lack of effect from her spell.

“It would have made this easier.” Gyrfalcon grunted, parrying sword then dagger then sword again, circling between Tayne and Salinye as the mercenary made to throw his dagger at the wizardess, Tayne’s face twisted with rage. “The alarm ringing in my head doesn’t help either!” he said, suddenly stealing the offense from Tayne and coming forward, slashing with each step, forcing the mercenary back away from Salinye.

The half-elf’s momentum was stolen as Tayne leapt ahead, taking a vicious hit to his dagger arm for a chance to chop at the half-elf with the flaming longsword. Gyrfalcon dived aside desperately, and Tayne turned to pursue before his eye caught the vulnerable Salinye, caught in the midst of another futile spellcasting. With an evil laugh, Tayne turned towards Salinye and raised the longsword high, intending to split her head in half.

The elven wizardess completed her casting and smiled beatifically at Tayne as the sword began to sweep in. To the side, Gyrfalcon’s chair leapt from where it had been pushed at an angle to the desk and smashed Tayne across the shoulder and head, throwing him against the wall. As the mercenary rose to his hands and knees and shook his head, Salinye’s eyes met Gyrfalcon’s for a second before she rushed by the mercenary, disappearing through the doorway. Gyrfalcon grinned, relieved that he would not have to worry about his grievously injured companion and lunged at Tayne, catching the man’s shoulder with the tip of his katana, the enchanted blade rasping across the chainmail beneath Tayne’s clothing, rupturing a few rings but doing little else. In return, Tayne slugged Gyrfalcon hard in the stomach. Gyrfalcon dove back in a roll and came to his feet, keeping his distance to catch his breath. Even as he did so, Tayne grinned as the wound on his dagger arm slowly closed and hefted his longsword. “You don’t have a chance, half-elf” he boasted, and right about then, Gyrfalcon was starting to agree with him.

The ranger growled and discarded those defeating thoughts. His eyes narrowed as he swung his katana through a pair of loops before pausing in a guard. “Keep on convincing yourself of that, it’ll make killing you easier.” he said coldly before gliding forward, katana flashing and ringing off Tayne’s weapons as the mercenary attacked as well, laughing maniacally.

"He's right, Papa."

Teq looked suddenly very old, and didn't answer for a moment. He reached his hand out and held Llassar's shoulder. "He is," the man finally intoned, "He's certainly correct. And anything that aids my vengeance should be welcomed, not spurned. So be it, then. We use the money to buy some help, and we utterly destroy this Gyrfalcon when we get the chance." Teq nodded almost brusquely, then started walking toward the door. He didn't want to help carry the loot, he couldn't make himself do that. Llassar looked confused for a moment, uncertain whether to follow his father or help Robby.

The odd man picked up a chest with surprisingly little difficulty, so Llassar decided he could grab the second one. It must have held much more money, thought the boy as he struggled with it. Teq went outside and stood looking at the ground as Llassar dragged his chest a few feet across the floor, and Robby hefted three more on his own, piling them up outside.

Llassar tried pushing, pulling, and finally decided to find some round sticks to use in rolling the thing. He went off in search of that, while Teq finally came back inside and began helping Robby.

"Come on, Llassar. We've got them all down now," called the father to his son. He and Robby were both surprised by the reply. "I can't tell where it's coming from," he said, worry emanating from his youthful voice. The two older men followed the sound down to him.

Llassar was standing in a particularily rubble-filled room, and he put his fingers to his lips when his companions entered. "There's a knocking." They all stood silently, and then Robby strode forward. "Here," he said, "and there's a voice, too." The three of them gathered around the broken table in the center of the room, and lifted.

Edit: Pfft, apparently he's been spelling it "Robby" not "Robbie"...

Edited by Katzaniel

Dust and pebbles began to shift and slip around Wren as the table top that had saved her began to lift . Slowly more light filtered into her and she extinguished her light. When the men finally were able to toss the table top aside she sat up and looked at them "Thank you Oh! Thank you so much ! I wasn't going to be able to bang much longer. Does anyone have any water?" Where did all the demons go? Is anyone else stuck under this stuff? Who is responsible ? where did the gold go ? What is this mask suposed to do ?The stream of shock driven rapid fire questions seems endless Wren didn't even stop to beathe much less give anyone a chance to answer.

• 2 weeks later...

“Wren, Wren, Wren. Listen to me Wren. Wren, listen.”

Despite the firm tone of what he was saying, Wren wasn’t listening to Robby and she continued to spout a constant stream of questions.

“Wren! Stop!” Robby increased the pressure of his grip on her shoulder until it became painful. In response she drove the palm of one hand upward at his nose.

Current pain and memory of worse pain overcame reflexes and Robby didn’t move his free hand to intercept. Instead he turned his head so that Wren struck him just under his eye, her hand bounced away with no apparent damage inflicted. Robby took a step back anyway.

Wren seemed to take in where she was and who was here as she paused for breath.

“I got separated from everyone else when the demons attacked,” Robby started, “I don’t know much more than you. You’re the only other hunter I’ve found since they made their retreat. There’s no sign of Ugarte or Bob either, but we’ve recovered some of Ugarte’s fortune.”

• 2 weeks later...

Since they were both experienced warriors, Gyrfalcon and Tayne seemed to be thinking along the same lines as they circled each other around the room, trading the occassional blow while they recovered a bit of strength. It was clear to them that Gyrfalcon was the better sword fighter, but with all of Tayne's equipment, the larger warrior had the advantage here. Of course, Tayne wouldn't let on to that. Grinning sadistically, he taunted Gyrfalcon, "You know, once I take your head, I'm going to take your wench too. After that, maybe I'll clean out this little keep. I wouldn't mind my own castle, as opposed to some hole in the ground. Of course, with the billion geld reward I'm going to get, I can buy any castle I want." he laughed.

Gyrfalcon's expression just seemed to get more grim and determined. "Don't count on it." was all he said. This time, launching an actual attack, Gyrfalcon lead in with a series of jabs that he hoped would help destroy Tayne's armour, link by link if he had to. As Tayne deflected the critical blows then went for a stab of his own, Gyrfalcon twisted a bit to the side and watched Tayne's sword fly all the way by his head. In the split second that it was next to his face, he noticed the ring on Tayne's finger that seemed to be glowing with a low green hue. As he twisted the other direction to dodge the dagger that was about to make impact with his skull, he realised that that ring must be the one that's healing his wounds. He'd just have to remove that. For now, he bid his time, waiting for the right moment to slice off Tayne's hand.

As he pressed his attack, Tayne noticed the slightest of changes on Gyrfalcon's face. He was still as grim and determined as ever, but there was something akin to a flash in Gyrfalcon's eyes. He must have figured something out, and that could only mean trouble. Pressing harder, he tried to match Gyrfalcon's speed and put the ranger on the defensive. If he could only deflect Tayne's blows, he couldn't do whatever it was he was planning. He had dropped his other equipment in his haste to make it to Gyrfalcon's room, so he was left with what he had in hand. He didn't see any option but besting Gyrfalcon in combat. His only chance was to offer Gyrfalcon a good opportunity to slice him somewhere juicy as a feint so he could make a killing blow with his other weapon. Tayne was losing his offense quickly though, as Gyrfalcon kept making better deflections and parries against both of Tayne's weapons. The rangers swordplay was amazing; Tayne was starting to doubt his chances. He had to act. NOW.

Tayne lead with a dagger stab aimed at Gyrfalcons midsection which was deflected quickly and harmlessly to the side. Giving a quick twist of his wrist, Tayne followed up with a jab aimed at Gyrfalcon's shoulder. As the ranger moved to deflect the blow, Tayne quickly reversed his grip on his dagger and brought it in a diagonal backhanded slash across Gyrfalcon's chest. Time seemed to freeze for both combatants. As a look of shock entered both of their eyes. They stared at each other for that split second, rage and surprise burning; then time resumed it's frantic pace. In a searing amount of pain, Gyrfalcon had pulled a surprising maneuver and instead of simply deflecting Tayne's longsword, he sliced his hand off at the wrist. The jolting pain caused his other arm to flinch, so as opposed to slicing through inches of flesh, Tayne just ripped accross the ranger's chest. The wound left a bloody trail, but the wound wasn't close to fatal.

Tayne dropped his dagger and clutched the bloody stump where his hand used to be and bellowed in pain and rage. He had failed.

• 2 months later...

Salinye stumbled down the corridor stairs, the exertion leaving her gasping for breath. Although Gyrfalcon’s spell had slowed the bleeding tremendously, she still had lost a lot of blood. She would be fine for a little while, but would have to find some more in depth medical attention before too long. As she reached the platform between flights of stairs, she shook her head and whispered a quick spell to stop the blaring of the keep’s alarms in her head. In the meantime, Daryl and Mira had heard the commotion from her chambers two floors below. The werefox fled her room in human form taking the stairs two and three at a time. He tried to stop himself from crashing into the mage full speed and managed to throw his arms around her and stop her from toppling over completely. The collision made her cringe with renewed pain. Daryl took one look at her pale face and pulled one of his arms from behind her. The sight of her blood covering his hand set him on the edge of beserking into his hybrid form.

“Daryl.” She gasped relieved to see him.

“Who did this to you?” He asked with a cold edge to his voice.

“Another bounty hunter. He’s in Gyre’s quarters.” She whispered leaning into the wall so that he could go help the ranger. Immediately he fled up two more stairs before stopping to look back down to her, visibly torn. He worried about leaving her alone so badly wounded, but also worried about Gyrfalcon. Another crash was heard from above them.

“Go to him, Daryl. I’m fine, honestly.” She could see the hesitation in his posture. Pulling herself up to her full height she let go of the wall and spoke more firmly. “The keep is alive with people to help me, you’re more use to him in battle than to me as a healer.” With a final nod the werefox climbed the stairs and disappeared around a corner.

Placing a hand to her forehead she took a few deep breaths to regain her energy and continued the descent down to her chambers. Daryl had left the door open and as she entered she could see Mira pacing back and forth agitated. “Dove!” He reverted back to the name he knew her best by. “What is going on out there?” He called out irritated while running as close to her as he could behind the energized barrier. Although the dark blue of her pajamas made it difficult to notice all the blood drenched into them, his eyes were immediately drawn to her blood smeared feet. Lifting his gaze to meet her eyes once more, his tone became a bit gentler. “You’re hurt. Who did this? Gyrfalcon?!”

She leaned against the chair she had sat in for so many hours earlier that evening. “Of course not. The same bounty hunter who attacked me is now attacking Gyre.”

“A bounty hunter attacked YOU? Maybe they knew you weren’t really who you said you were.”

“Maybe.” She stood straight and walked across the room to a bureau. Raising her bloodstained hand to him while closing her eyes in a moment of concentration the light blue aura that separated them faded. “Your weapons are in here. Your other bags are in that closet.” She pointed to a small linen closet to her left then leaned heavily against the bureau.

Mira stood his ground momentarily conflicted. Just yesterday he had considered her an ally, perhaps even a friend. Now, potentially, she is the conniving companion to a cold-hearted murderer. “How do you know I won’t take advantage of your weakened state at harm you?” He asked keeping his features neutral.

She looked to him without fear. His question brought about feelings of annoyance in her, if anything. “Because you’re good. You’re not like them. I know you won’t hurt me, so pick a new strategy.”

He considered her for a moment before replying. “Alright. How do you know I won’t gather my things and go assist that bounty hunter in killing Gyrfalcon.”

Her gaze turned so icy that he almost regretted his words…almost. “Because Mira, you would lose and I’d rather not see you dead. However, I leave you your free will. Choose your side or flee and don’t choose at all. You may be a lot of things, but my instincts tell me that foolish is not one of them.” Finally tiring of standing and her injuries getting the best of her, she slumped down to the floor and leaned her head against the wall to rest. “Do as you will, Mira.”

• 1 month later...

"We found the gold," said Llassar excitedly. "We're going to use it to buy more mercenaries, right Papa? And get someone named Gyrfalcon who did this." The boy turned around to find his father gone. He turned around once more, getting worried.

"Oh no," he muttered. "He was just here." Robby glanced around, saying, "I'm sure he's fine." He went over in his mind the things that might have happened, but common sense told him that anything dangerous would have made a noise. He grabbed the boy's tunic, stopping him from running off. "If something did happen, which I highly doubt, going off one by one to explore is not the smart course of action. Help me get Wren to her feet."

Llassar, looking rather concerned, knelt so that Wren could put her arm around his neck. Doing so, she began questioning again. "Gyrfalcon did this? Where are we going to find more mercenaries? Are you sure that's a good idea, anyway?"

"Yes," said Robby, checking Wren for serious injuries. "If we can find help from anyone in this town, it's the best way to use the money."

Wren coughed and had just started to ask about water again when Teq reentered the room with a flask. He held it to lips and she gulped it down. Llassar began a tirade about how worried he'd been and how Robby hadn't let him go look.

"I suppose I should have said something before I left," the man said gently to his son. "But Robby was right, you can't just go running off if you suspect that there is danger. Whoa, go slowly... Wren?"

Forcing herself to stop drinking for a moment, the woman nodded. "Yes, my name is Wren. I know Robby already, but who are you two?"

"Teq," he gestured to himself and then his son, "And Llassar. My wife was killed in this attack, so we have joined your group." A tear appeared in his eye and he wiped it away, saying a little too harshly, "Can you walk?"

It turned out she could, and they made their way back outside. The four of them decided that they would split up into two groups and meet back at the house by nightfall, with whomever was coming along. They fashioned two crude wagons out of the debris and set off separate ways, Teq pulling the cart beside Wren down one street while Llassar tagged along with Robby and their cart down another.

"Don't those burns hurt?" Lassar asked suddenly.

"Hmm? Oh yeah. Sure, they hurt like hell.” Robby answered.

“Well, shouldn’t you do something about them? Won’t they get infected?”

“Nope.”

For a few minutes they trudged on in silence. When it became perfectly clear Robby wasn’t going to elaborate on that, Lassar pressed, “Well why not.”

“Magic.”

At first it seemed like that was all the information Robby was going to volunteer, but then he continued.

“It’s sort of a trade off. Healing spells don’t work on me, but my body pulls ambient magic out of the air. It uses it to automatically banish infection and conjure new skin. New muscle and new bone when it has to, too. In a few days I‘ll be good as new.”

“That’s amazing!”

“Sure is.”

“Well, how does it work?” Lassar asked.

Robby grinned, “Magic.”

• 2 months later...

Without so much as a word, Mira grabbed his belongings from the closet where Salinye had said they were and dumped the contents out into a small pile in the middle of the floor. Once he was satisfied that everything was still there he picked out his daggers from the other items, and deftly made them disappear into his coat sleeves, boot tops and a handful of other places where they could be easily hidden, and more importantly, easily retrieved at a moments notice. When he looked up again at Salinye, her eyes were shut and her head had fallen lazily to one side like some sort of overgrown rag doll. He jumped over to her and gently shook her back to attention. She never opened her eyes, but mustered the strength to pull her head back upright, letting out a slight moan that illustrated the effort of the task. The wound at her side was still bleeding, though the flow had dwindled to all but a trickle. She's so pale, he thought to himself. Please let her find the strength to make it long enough. He realized he had no idea how long "long enough" would be, but shook the thought out of his head before it was able to set roots.

"We need to get you somewhere safe" Mira said as he stooped down and wrapped one of his arms behind her neck and the other beneath her knees. "If there's one bounty hunter, there could be more." Then he stood up with Salinye in his arms and turned towards the door. Since he had seen her open the door to admit Gyrfalcon and Daryl, he had no problem opening it himself, or as little problem was possible when carrying an injured elven lady. Once outside the door though, he realized he had no idea where he was going. Jokingly he said, "I bet you're wishing you had given me the full tour now", but if Salinye heard him she showed no sign. Once again pushing terrible thoughts out of his mind he tried to access the situation. From what he remembered from his brief view out of Sal's fourth story window before he was so rudely pulled back in, there was a corridor that attached Gyrfalcon's tower to the rest of the keep on the ground level. Maybe there was someone there who could help Salinye there, or at the very least, someplace where they could be safe until the fighting was done. Not for the first time, Mira wondered how he had managed to let a girl and promises of wealth get him into such a mess as he rushed down the steep stairwell and into the main keep.

• 3 months later...

Keal'vera cursed her luck when she encountered the first patrol. While she knew that no one would be able to see her while she covered by shadows, she could sense multiple attempts to detect her and knew that the spell that kept her hidden could easily be dispelled. She considered herself lucky that she had not been detected yet but knew that if she did not hurry she would be found and killed. In an attempt to keep herself hidden, Keal'vera constently would backtrack and take alternet routes while trying to follow the now drying blood trail. She then realized that the patrols would eventually noticed the trail of blood if they hadn't already. Muttering to herself quietly she made her way to Gyrfalcons tower.

When she got to the enterance to the tower she notices a bunch of guards and wizards swarming the place. Keal'vera then noticed something brush her spell, she had been discovered. Before the wizard had a chance to act, she dispelled her spell and ran towards the the suprise guards blocking the enterance of gyrfalcons tower. She managed to get threw the guards before they had time to act but felt several spells being thrown her way. She skillfully avoided most of the deadlier spells but winced in pain as several bolts of pure energy managed to slam inter her right arm. Dispite the pain she continued to run up the stairs.

Gyrfalcon!! Are you all right?!? We noticed a trail of blood going to your tower. We were also attacked by a Succubus near the enterance to the tower. It is headed up your way!! Murdock sent out his thoughts hoping that Gyrfalcon was still alive. With sword in hand he and several guards ran after the demon.

Edited by Racouol