The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The assignment is given

The bell rings. The heavy wooden door is closed, the faces of parents still peeking through the window as the teacher shoo's them away. Fresh haircuts and new clothes have everyone looking ready for pictures, yet all tiny eyes stay focused on that door long after the last face has vanished.

Maybe mom is still here.

Introductions seem very frightening. There is a strange odor to the room. Everything looks so foreign.

Will this day never end?

The first assignment is given. Use crayons to draw a flower.

I want to go home.

He makes a rose.

Everyone likes roses.

She makes her rounds. "Very nice, Nathan. The sun doesn't really have a smiley face does it, Chelsea? Good, Sydney. Excellent, Liam. Color in the petals, Erin."

She pauses at his. He smiles hopefully, as if to say that maybe he feels better now. He used all 8 crayons. Surely his effort shows. "That's all wrong! Yellow sun, green leaves, red petals."

Then she says to the class, "Don't forget to color things as you see them."

The last full day of school comes before the winter break. Everyone is dressed in sweaters, many of them festive. Secret pals have been chosen for the class party tomorrow, the room will be a sea of red and green then. Tiny fingers fidget throughout the room in anticipation.

I hope no one laughs at my present.

All around the room sit new friends with open minds, all eager to please.

I hope I get to make a gift.

The assignment is given. Use watercolors to paint a card with what you will do on your break.

I'm so excited!

He paints his Christmas morning.

So many pretty things on Christmas morning.

She makes her rounds. "I like your reindeer, Nathan. Make sure not to burn your fingers on that menorah, Chelsea. Looks like you're having a lot of visitors, Sydney. Santa should be more plump, don't you think, Liam? I see you're hoping for a puppy, Erin."

She pauses at his. He smiles hopefully, as if to say, I'm proud of my picture. He has used all 8 colors. She will surely like it. "That's all wrong! Christmas trees are green, not spiny rainbows. Why don't any of the presents have bows on them? And don't forget to rinse your brush between colors."

Then she says to the class, "Don't forget to paint things as you see them."

Spring comes, and only a few lightweight jackets now hang beneath the cubbies. Long pants and turtlenecks have given way to spring dresses and short sleeves. Tiny faces keep turning toward the windows.

Recess in the sunshine!

In unison everyone turns to face the teacher. The rules are readily understood now.

I wonder what our art project will be today?

The assignment is given. Use tissue paper, markers, and pipe cleaners to make a butterfly.

I hope I can find my favorite color.

He picks light blue.

One color is best.

She makes her rounds. "Shouldn't you give it antennae, Nathan? Very pretty, Chelsea. I like the design on the wings, Sydney. That looks like it's ready to fly, Liam! That's beautiful, Erin."

She pauses at his. He smiles hopefully, as if to say, I finally got it right. He didn't overdo it on the colors. This time, she will be pleased. "That's all wrong! Butterflies don't have eyes on their wings, and the certainly don't have mouths on their backs."

Then she says to the class, "Don't forget to make things as you see them."

Finally it's the last day of school. Shorts and sandals seem almost like a uniform today. Children glance back and forth. It will be a long summer, fun and free, but so long before they are all back together again.

I hope they don't forget me.

The room still has it's own unique odor, but now it seems normal. Eyes and ears glued to the teacher.

My last project before first grade!

The final assignment of the year is given. Use any supplies you want, and draw a picture of yourself.

Wow! First grade!

He draws nothing.

Edited by Illianna Wolfsong

As one of those who has never seen things the way I was supposed to I felt a keen kinship to this character. At an age when you are not free to say "But that is the way I see things" make it so much more tragic.

*hugs* well done!!!!

Creativity in school is often limited by how open the teacher is to individualism. Teachers get caught up in what is right and what is wrong that they can often forget what something may be instead of what they were taught it is. The worst part is that the teacher remains unaffected, but that the students walk away carrying the burden of what was labeled a mistake when in truth it should have been praised as creativity. This happens a lot even in higher levels of education as well. An 11th grade English teacher asks you to write a poem about yourself. I do not see how it is possible for a teacher to put a numerical grade on a poem, when poems can be interpreted in so many different ways. None of which are incorrect. On the other hand it should be noted that there are teachers who are the opposite and do everything possible to help their students grow instead of just advance to the next level.

I really like the structure and how it is repeated up to the end. The imagery is intense and it is very easy to feel the emotion in the classroom throughout each season. It’s wonderful as all your stuff is. Thank you for sharing.

• 3 years later...

It's quite easy for me to find writers who do not take me with them to the place where their characters live.

I read this and felt pain knowing I couldn't help this boy.

As such, he does serve as an eloquent, and though painful, gentle reminder. Thank you.

Guest Phoenix

this is such a powerful piece

i felt really strongly for the boy

but although it ended sadly, part of me wondered if he went to art school in the end, and made more beautiful pictures...

maybe i'm too much of an optimist

but that would've been nice

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing,

Bumped and re-read some 4 years later, and it's just as powerful today. Thanks Ozy and Phoenix for finding this one again and replying, doing so has allowed me to re-find it and very much appreciate it again.

And, of course and most of all, Illianna Wolfsong the work is absolutely breathtaking. Very sad. I felt it. Not much else to say.

Thank you.

- Justin