The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Buying Them Back

This is where one can post previously composed stories, correct?

"Stolen. Every last one of them," said the Father, slumping into his favorite chair with a frown.

His Son was also on the porch, and glanced up with the same pensive look of concern. "Where are your creations now, Father?"

A hand merely pointed down the road, to the Merchant's shop. Everyone knew of the death the Merchant sold there. The Son bit his lip grimly and declared, "I will go and retrieve them."

"No, Son. I gave that shop to my children, who gave it to the Merchant. I will not allow you to simply go and take my creations, no matter how precious they are."

"I know," the Son replied, and jumped over the fence rail. "I'll pay for them."

The Father watched with tears in his eyes as his son walked bravely into the Merchant's shop.

The interior was full of horrors of every kind; deeptively tempting, outright gruesome, inescapably controlling. Each reached to ensnare the Son as he passed, but he stayed out of reach, and they stayed on their shelves.

Then the Son's eyes fell upon his Father's creations, scattered amongst the horrors. They were already tainted. "So many," he whipered. Not only the Father's chosen, but every work was immensely precious.

"May I help you?" aked the Merchant behind the counter. He grinned maliciously.

"Yes," said the Son firmly, though his stomach fluttered. "I have come to buy back my Father's creations."

"Now, now! They're here on their own. I never exactly stole th--- Did you say 'buy'?"

"Yes."

The Merchant grinned wider. Here, he had the most beloved Son of his worst enemy, coming to pay any price. And for something that was already his!

"Well, you know, I can't give them to you cheap."

"I know."

"Given their rarity and unique formation, I think I would have to require... your life blood."

The room was deathly silent. The Son did not look surprised. He nodded.

It was all the Merchant could do to keep from dancing with glee. The Son would be completely drained. He would die! A deliciously painful blow to the Father! And with the Son dead, no one could take the creations from the shop, anyway. It was as if the Father had planted a gift on the Merchant's doorstep!

The deed began. Quietly, trembling, the Son stood still as the Merchant set his wares on the young man. Even the Father's creations joined in, withdrawing more and more blood. The room was filled with the stench and splatter of it. Slowly, the Son's head began to nod, his eyelids heavy. Weakly, he slumped against a toy shelf.

Death drew the breath from his lungs, and he lay silent.

The Merchant laughed and danced on his wares for joy, trampling them underfoot. They cried in pain, yet cried for more. Grinning in triumph, the Merchant crowed, "I have finally won!"

"No." Still soaked in his own blood, the Son slowly rose to his feet.

The Merchant's leer froze, and he let out a shriek of anger. "But you died!"

"And now i have defeated death!" The Son turned to his Father's creations, each peering up incredulously from the floor. "Come. We're going back to my Father's house."

The creations did not move. They looked at one another for second opinions, unable to imagine anything outside of this shop. In the end, only two stepped forward, the smallest and shabbiest of them all.

The Merchant laughed at this unexpected counterblow. "I may have lost, Son, but at leaast I will take most of your precious creations with me!"

The Son did not reply. Instead, with great love and care, he bent down to lift the two puppets into his hands.

They were soaked with his blood, but didn't seem to mind. Together, the three of them left the merchant's shop on the way home.

"Will the Merchant always prevail?" asked one creation.

"No," said the Son. "Someday, we'll come back."

Ha ha, wow I totally forgot about this post, and I didn't check for replies. Thanks for reading, friends! I'm so glad you liked it!

As for the allegory... mwa ha I'm so glad you asked. :woot: See, God is both our Father and our Creator, and we the creations are wrongfully ruled and ruined by Satan, who is kind of like a bad merchant in some ways. Jesus is God's Son, who gave His life to buy us back.

I really like this allegory, Jareena. I too have seen it in many forms. Have you read the book by Max Lucado called *thinks what is that darn book called* errrr I'll think of it then edit this. LOL

Anyway, nice work. I always appreciate a good allegory. Well written!

~Salinye :butterfly: