The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Remember?

Rune

Rune walks up the stage in the large and grand Cabaret room. She attempts to climb the stairs, but being little more than 3 foot tall she trips a few times. Finally making it up she walks over to the stand which holds the microphone. The room is full of activity and her actions are barely noticed. Realizing that the stand is made for people of a more normal human height she mumbles. Pulling a large moving crate over she climbs up on top of it to attempt to reach the device. Panting and covered in dust she is finally able to see the crowd from the stand.

Excuse... Excuse me. She squeaks. Um, Can I have your attention for a moment? Her voice cracks as the nervous jitters in her tummy cause her to break out in a sweat.

Does anyone remember what it was like to be new? Or to be unsure of your abilities? or to simply want to be accepted? She slowly gains more confidence as she notices the crowd is paying attention.

I keep reading poems, and stories..and I want to comment but its so hard to do. I am not a technical writer, I dont know the terms for poems and literary techniques and for what might not be correct or what may be.. I just know what i think sounds great and I know what its like to post a piece of work and to wait patiently for someone to respond.

She pauses, unsure of their reaction to what she has said.

I also know what its like to post something and wait and check back daily just to never see a response..or to just see 1 or 2 and nothing more. My own mind fills in the blanks with things like "oi, it must have been really bad" or "wow, i guess not many liked it."

Her voice trails off slightly with that last sentance as the crowd begins to stir slightly.

So, uh, So I am gonna make a point to respond to every single topic I read.. but I want to -apologize- now because if I post "wow, that was great!" or "please post more" its not because im posting simply for the post count, but because I really wanted you to know I read it and I liked it. You see, Im just not very good at coming up with things to say. She pauses for a moment, trying to collect her thoughts. But out of respect for you, and for the time you took to post it..I will do my best to respond to it because I think its great. I know that most of you here are very advanced writers and may be a bit annoyed by simple comments when you are searching for more in dept critisim.. but you see im just a very small person and I dont have a lot of in dept in me. She looks downward and begins playing with a tattered string that hangs around her neck. So, umm, thats all.

Rune frowns at the akward silence from the crowd and is pretty positive that she has made a fool of herself. Thank you. She finishes and then attempts to climb off the box. Now emotionally drained from the attention she tries to push the moving crate back to it's position. She is aware that the whole room is watching her ever move and a replay of what just happened floods her mind. The crate now rests in it's original position and she runs towards the curtain area of the stage attempting to escape the crowd.

As Rune disappears behind the stage curtains, breathing a sigh of relief to be out of the spotlight, she is startled by the unimposing figure that melts out of the shadows to her right. Heart pounding from more, now, than just the jitters of being onstage, she gapes at the cowled form as it approaches.

"I hope you do realize, Rune-sama, that no one here has ever thought poorly of any comment made, from the most indepth literary analyses to the simple-smiley responses." Yui-chan lifts a hand and slips the ebon fabric off of her head, revealing a warm smile and grey-green eyes to match. "You don't need to know technical terms or fancy literature techniques to know how a piece of work makes you feel, or what it makes you think about. In my opinion, those are the most important qualities of any literary work, and if that's all you want to comment about on anything I've written, then you should know that you've already helped me immensely. So please, do comment to your heart's content, and be as blunt and honest and mono-syllabic as you want.

"Everyone here, from the founders and Elders to the newest Initiate, feels just like you do. We all have that moment of doubt before we lay our works out in front of everyone. But those of us who've been here a while have learned that there's nothing real to fear, because no soul here, not even on their most grumpy of Mondays, would ever dream of ripping a writer down. Not now, and not ever." She grins and leans in, whispering with a conspiratorial wink, "Besides, you can bet that our Polite Ancient would be the first in line to sic his giant Hamster bodyguards on anyone Rude enough to do so. And then Wyvern would char him/her with some of his Almost-Draconic flames, Gyrfalcon would shorten a few appendages with his katana, and Gwaihir would send Myth to significantly shorten the rest of his/her lifespan."

As Rune blinked, a bit amazed at the Huntress' plain speech, Yui-chan straightened and set a hand on the newcomer's shoulder. "I can't speak for the others, but I would love to see your work when you're ready to share it. I hope in time, you'll know as we do that this is a safe place to show it, no matter how uncertain you are. After all, to be in the halls of the Pen is to be always among friends, whether you have a title or not. Please, remember that."

The Pen's resident Shadow offers one last reassuring smile before bowing low to the nervous young lady. "I'll see you around, Rune-san."

From within the crate that Rune had stood upon when giving her public declaration and apology, Wyvern snickers to himself silently and awaits the appropriate moment to make his appearence. The lizard hides patiently inside the large box until Yui has finished making her reassuring speech, at which point he decides that it's time to take action. Wyv jumps to his feet expecting to crash right through the top of the box and startle everyone... but in the process fails to take into account that the interior of the crate had been secured with a coat of iron sheeting. The result is that the overgrown lizard bangs his head rather hard on the interior of the box, causing a miniscule dent on the top of it before falling back down to his initial position and writhing in pain. Rune, Yui, and Vlad all turn towards the crate... swearing they heard some sort of a sound from it. The three writers raise their brows as a small, insignificant cry for help begins emanating from the box...

"...hhheeeellllp meeee.... *sob* ...I caaaan't get oooouuuuuut... *sob*"

Cautiously approaching the box, Vlad and Yui pry it open while Rune curiously trails behind. Once the lid has been lifted, Wyvern sluggishly crawls out of the crate, rubbing his aching head and quietly cursing to himself. Once the overgrown lizard has gotten back onto his feet, he strikes the most heroic pose he can muster (which actually seemed more villanous than heroic) and exclaims:

"Indeed, Rune, as Yui said: you needn't worry about knowing technical terminology for posting on these boards. In fact, many people may actually prefer recieving simple words of praise and acknowledgement as opposed to analysis... there's no better way of knowing your being read and appreciated!" :)

Wyvern then clears his throat, takes out a container of kerosene and a lighter, and proudly exclaims:

"Just to back up Yui's statements, I have decided to run a demonstration of how I can char rude people with my Almost Dragonic flames! Behold!"

With that, Wyvern gives a signal and a curtain in a far corner of the room opens to reveal the commercial rap celebrity Ja Rule, who has been bound in chains and is wearing a sign around his neck that reads "Rude Person". Wyvern cackles with glee as the rap star is brought to the center of the stage, and rubs his scaly palms together in anticipation. The reptilian Elder then picks up his kerosene and lighter, turns to Rune, and explains:

"While I can't actually breath flames like other lizards of my brethren, Yui is certainly not lying when she notes that my flames are 'Almost Dragonic!'"

Wyvern points to the brand names of the lighter and the kerosene.

"As you can see, this is an "Almost Dragonic Lighter ™" accompanied by an "Almost Dragonic Container ™" filled with "Almost Dragonic Kerosene ®". Remember to always buy "Almost Dragonic" products... Sure, they may be three times as expensive as other stuff out there, but they more than make up for it in gimmicky name value... Errrr... I mean quality!"

Wyvern then grabs the microphone from the stand, turns to Ja Rule, and exclaims:

"Any last words, Mr. Rule?!"

Ja Rule foams at the mouth, growls, and then shouts at the top of his lungs in a needlessly loud and hoarse voice:

"[CENSORED] [CENSORED] [CENSORED], MUUUUURRRRRRDDDDDAAAA!!!!! [CENSORED] [CENSORED] MUUUUURRRRRRRDDDDDDAAAAA!!! [CENSORED]!"

After Ja Rule has made his "declaration", Wyvern grins evilly and takes out his lighter to do the dirty work. Unfortunatly, as the lighter is "Almost Dragonic Brand", it takes Wyv several hundred tries before he can get it to spark a flame... and by the time he's managed to do so, all of the kerosene has leaked out of his defective "Almost Dragonic" container onto his feet! Fortunatly, the "Almost Dragonic" kerosene turns out to be defective as well, and the overgrown lizard isn't burnt...

Unfortunately, Ja Rule manages to escape once again to corrupt the youth of society...

Thoroughly embarassed, Wyvern bows to Rune and Yui before rushing from the scene, wiping kerosene from his claws as he does so...

;)

P.S: I'd love to see you actively posting with us, Rune. :)

Sometimes things seem distant - others who have reached what we want seem to be high above us, better than us. That is often an illusion created by us ourselves, and that illusion is the tallest wall in our way to success.

That's what I wrote when my different personalities debated whether to join Pen or not, close to two years ago. It still seems very valid. There are still people here whose skill with words seems intimidating to me, but I just try to actively ignore it. *shrug*

And yes, simple "I liked it" replies to my works, when they merit such compliments, still give me a warm and fuzzy feeling no matter if it's the 5th or 500th such reply. :)

Rune stares wide eyed at Yui-chan as the shadow addresses her directly and with respect. Unfamiliar with being treated in such a manner she almost appears to be frozen from the impact of the kind words. Once Yui finishes and bows, Rune does the same and quietly whispers “Dômo arigatô gozaimasu” in response to Yui’s kindness. She then watches with added interest as the scene between the overgrown lizard and the disgruntled rapper plays out. As Wyvern rushes out through the door she closes her eyes and whispers a word of thanks to him as well. From the distance she can make out the confused look on his face as her thoughts invade his mind briefly to convey her gratitude. She then turns to Vlad and Zadown and also thanks them for their response to her speech.

This community is very powerful because you each stand behind one another and offer support. Her voice can barely be heard over the loud rumble coming from the main area of the room as the crowd begins talking among themselves once more. A single stone can be cast beyond reach by the weakest man, but when added to others it can become strong enough to defend a castle. I am not sure that I will ever get to be a part of all this.. you see I am very different. She looks downward as though criticizing her very existence. But none the less I will do my best to try.

Rune pauses for a moment as though she has had a sudden revelation. Hey, I wondered why that moving crate was so heavy..

• 8 months later...

well deserving of being bumped.

i *still* feel that way every time i go to post something and almost delete it instead, or think three times about whether or not it's okay to leave non specific comments. and then i post anyway, because by and large the people here are *nice*, and sometimes there's someone out there who really understands - and then we both feel a little less alone. What seem like dumb comments when i leave them for others - when they say the same thing when i post, it's not dumb at all, it means a lot! so i leave my "dumb comments" anyway cuz maybe to someone else it's not dumb.. and at least they know i read it, and wanted to say something about it.

i don't care how simple the comment is. that something that means something to me also means enough to someone else that, in whatever words they could find, they wanted to comment on it - that's what matters. it's putting a piece of myself out in public view and watching everyone turn away in silence, that hurts.