The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Harmonious Transformation

Harmonious_Echos

I enter my sincerest supplication, my esteemed colleagues;

I am currently a goat.

Since I am currently a goat, my brain appears to have been rearranged, and I cannot for the life of me remember what the spell components are for the reverse transformation spell (which Muse has impudently refused to do).

I have hired MagicianEmpress to work the spell for me, but until I have gathered the spell components she has to wait, and does so rather impatiently…as do I, since I have grown quite weary of this form!

Please tell me; what items do I need? And where might I get them?

:paladin::orc::elf:(I am loving the new Emoticons by the way!)

Edited by Harmony

Third eye of a two-tongued lizard,

seven candles of eldritch theme.

Then seek a red-haired wizard

for a spellwrought parchment ream.

Three times draw Savador's rune

in beeswax with orange dye.

Scrape the floor with a bent spoon

and neglect not a touch of lye.

When the ritual is done

the spell shall fade with touch of sun.

This rhyme was found in a half-rotted tome hidden in a hollow flagstone, in one of the underground sections of the Keep. Sadly, Savador's rune could not be found within, as the page so titled was almost unrecognisable.

The "third eye of a two-tongued lizard" is undoubtedly the most difficult other component to find; while some lizard species have a third eye with poorer function than the first two, I know of none which naturally have two tongues as well.

Salvador's rune...where have I heard that before? Curse this goat-mind! All I can think of are tasty-looking leaves & roots!

Maybe Wyvvern or Synupier will know of the lizard? Since they are lizardish? Although i wouldn't want to offend them by killing a cousin to steal its eye for my ritual...

Care must be taken with the names of ancient sages. I would be hesitant to use a rune named Salvador's, unless it can be ascertained that the different spelling is merely a translation issue. The consequences of using the wrong rune in any ritual cannot be overstated; anything could happen.

A forked tongue is a feature of some reptiles, and could be the meaning of "two-tongued"; it is then a matter of finding a species which has both that and the third eye. The poem is unclear on its use, but perhaps that becomes apparent later.

I had thought to continue studying the tome myself, but it seems your need is greater. I shall send it immediately.

I have embarked on this quest, with the help of a small and furry friend. (They help me stay focused, and keep me from eating my shopping list!)

Thankfully MagicianEmpress is red-haired, (at least currently), and can get me a spell-wrought parchment, so that will be here soon.

The lye I found in the castle soaparie--a very smelly place indeed, since they have yet to obtain the necessary funds for the usual Castille olive oils and are attempting to use the old *shudder* animal fats cooked off the roasts. I shall have nightmares (night goats?) for weeks.

I stole a bent spoon from the kitchen (yes, I bent it), and some orange dye from the laundry--they are making some interesting wools in there (they are pretty but taste bad). The beeswax I found in the library; a much nicer place, and the beeswax candles tasted great. Some of the books tasted pretty good as well...

Ahem.

My little friend managed to pocket enough of each item (so they say) for the spell, and is keeping me from eating them absent-mindedly...so all I need now are a Salvadorian rune, a lizard's third eye, and seven candles of eldrich flame...which I'm fairly certain is dragon-fire, so they'll be a little harder to handle than I thought...

• 2 weeks later...

Salvador's rune might be hidden in the gallery... try searching the paintings with the ants and melting time-devices! They might hold clues!!

Also, here's your papery stuffs, might want to keep it where it can't spontaneously combust...tends to do that in my hands... And i think your furry friend is waiting just outside, looking a little green...

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of bent spoons. Why not just bend it, nix the "a" article, and make more mysterious like so:

in beeswax with orange dye.

Scrape the floor with bent spoon (Nixing the "a)

and neglect not a touch of lye.

hooray for creative RPG-geeEEEE--poemy making magics!!!

I'm not a witch. I'm a lord of balance, Muuuhhahahahahahahah!!!

Edited by reverie

Hmm... Worth considering, but the existing version has the same number of syllables in the first and third lines of the verse - cutting one may not work, though a full rewording could work better. Admittedly I'm not too strict about syllables elsewhere, including the second and fourth lines of the same verse.

(...)

Floor must be scraped with bent spoon

or

Floor is bent with a scraped spoon (Suggesting something else entirely).

No, I can't think of anything right at the moment. Perhaps if I try again later a better wording will come.

Rules are made to be broken :) Question to ask is what does the syllable count serve? Is it consistant throughout for the sake of meter (I'm terrible at formal meter schemes btw, they completely go over my head), or is it more of loose guideline. If more formal, you can also deviate from the form for effect. I read a Scottish poet, once that did that with an english sonnet. It was like, I can play your game, but here's one better too.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...