The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Food for thought

Peredhil

Lovely quote given to me by our own Soaring_Icarus, the originator is unknown to me.

At some time in our lives, many of us have sought "comfort food" for emotional consolation.

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the solution.

Do you agree with this, or disagree? If so, why? If food isn't the solution, what else might be? And what are the problems that could lead to food as a solution?

I'll start it off:

I know I see many parents bribing children to stop crying or to be quiet with food or sweets. Could this be a contributor?

If I'm not wrong, there are certain kinds of food that stimulate the release of neutrotransmitters that are responsible for the sensation of well-being (think endorphins). That, coupled with being used to look for comfort in food (from being used to that since childhood), might lead to a reinforcement of the behavior...

But leaving chemistry aside... I think Peredhil has a point; being used to having food when they need something else (comfort? attention?) would lead people to keep looking for it when they cannot find an answer for emotional needs. I know I have many friends who say they tend to eat a lot more when they are depressed or anxious; though others say they just lose all appetite (as I do), so I guess it's just another hypothesis?

Oh, and as for solution... putting aside the 'look for emotional help somehow', I think physical exercise also release endorphins, making you feel better :) (I should go and recall all those classes on physiology... *mumbles*)

I know sometimes when you think you're hungry it's actually your body trying to tell you it's dehydrating and needs water. I remember some health teacher or another telling me once that "if you're thirsty you're already dehydrated."

Not sure how that fits with the idea of comfort food but I know sometimes I've opted to eat because I can't be arsed/don't feel like water...

Well, until we figured out that peanuts were killing the explosively allergic, not degrading the quality of life like diabetes and terrorists but actively killing them, food (and non-alcoholic drink) were a safe bet for a comforting transaction, universally positive. If food wasn't the solution, it was at least not likely to be a new problem, and it's much more concrete to offer a plate of happiness than to offer an empathetic ear. Your recipient can't be seen reaching out to accept an ear.

Also yes, there's something to be said for eating celery when the mere thought of another glass of water puts bile in your esophagus. (Or was it the water itself? It's safe if it's sunny outside and the water tastes green ((like chewed grass stalks?)), but rainy weather and the muddy taste call for a filter, and changeable weather and a metallic aftertaste means filter and boil it.)

celery is goodness. If you break a stalk of celery and put it in the tomato sauce when cooking spaghetti, it pulls the acidity out. Throw away the celery and serve, and people with sensitive tummies like mine can safely eat without automatic heart burn payment.

Similar to putting a cut potato in with beans when cooking, apparently.

I know I see many parents bribing children to stop crying or to be quiet with food or sweets. Could this be a contributor?

It's far deeper than just that. Think about it.....as we are raised from childhood, we have birthdays. Our special days. And we celebrate them with cake and ice cream. We have Halloween, where we get to dress up and become someone else for an evening and we get candy. All throughout childhood, we often get "treats" for doing "good".

So, in many cases our sense of self esteem, or sense of self worth can be tied to food. When you're sad and not feeling good about yourself as an adult, doesn't a little "treat" make you feel a little better? Maybe a little cake and ice cream make you feel "special" or a little candy lets you pretend you're someone else. Or maybe you just want that feeling of being "good" you had as a child.

For the Doctor it's a case of .....if one freshly baked chocolate chip cookie makes the Doctor feel "good"....then eating a dozen in one sitting means the Doctor is "great" :)

Some people develop an emotional relationship. Food may not be part of the solution, it's not quite that simple.