The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Question of the day

Sweetcherrie

Well, by definition, a slam is:

# winning all or all but one of the tricks in bridge # - unless one is playing bridge inside the revolving door, then no, this would not be applicable (though it would make having one's 'turn' a whole lot simpler)

# close violently; "He slammed the door shut" # - as a revolving door has at least a portion of itself 'open' at all times, then this would not apply either, regardless of how violently one swung it.

# the noise made by the forceful impact of two objects # - this one is more of a grey area. IF (and it's a big IF!) the door was slightly out of alignment to begin with, or was rendered so by the 'violent' swinging mentioned above, then it would be possible for one (or more) of the partitions to 'slam' into the frame of the door... hmmm... this one has potential, methinks.

# strike violently; "slam the ball" # - one could certainly strike a revolving door violently. A definite positive result here.

# a forceful impact that makes a loud noise # - really just another way of phrasing option 3 above.

# slam dance: dance the slam dance # - it's a tight space, but it could be done, I suppose.

# shot: an aggressive remark directed at a person like a missile and intended to have a telling effect; "his parting shot was `drop dead'"; "she threw shafts of sarcasm"; "she takes a dig at me every chance she gets" # - I've never abused a revolving door in this fashion, but again this option has potential.

# Systemic Lupus Activity Measure. A method of measuring the disease activity of lupus. # - I don't even want to contemplate this one...

I believe, IMHO, that given the array of results above, it can be said that it is possible to 'slam' a revolving door. I would, however, like to raise the even more disturbing question: "Is it possible for a revolving door to slam us?" One must always be careful to guard against the insidious nature of revolving-door prejudice - it just breeds a vicious cycle of hatred against doors of all varieties.

:)

Sure you can slam a revolving door, you just need someone in there you don't like to slam it against.

Of course, the fun thing is, you can pull back on some versions and slam them from the other side.

Not that I've ever done this, but I've had a vicious door or two slam me!

Because a birthday is accurate.. time of conceiving is not... not even when the couple (or at least the mother) keeps a list of all the time she.. y'know :P

Either way you'd most likely end up with a 'birth'-week.. not a day. I'm betting big coorporations would love the idea of people having to buy a week's worth of gifts.. but it's not really convenient all in all I'd say.

(Hello world, quite a nice forum you're having here :) You might have seen me browsing for a few days already, but I didn't want to post before having completed my application for the recruiter's office section... well... I still think I can add some precision about that last question ;))

I'd say what Appy said if someone ever ask me that, but well, the breath idea isn't bad either.

As a precision, everyone isn't using the date of birth as the start of our life, as it is written in the Wikipedia : East Asian age reckoning is a concept used in East Asian countries originating in China. Several East Asian cultures, such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese, share a traditional way of counting a person's age. Newborns start at one year old, and each passing of a New Year, rather than the birthday, adds one year to the person's age. This system is still widely used in China and Korea, but less common in other countries.

Another thing to note is that when doctors figure out the time of conception, they always start counting from your last period.

So that means that they start counting the child's existance two weeks before it is (typically) even conceived.

maybe it is because the kid in the womb is not really counted as a human but is consitered a parasite instead. For 9 or so months as they steal nutriants from the host (the pregnent female) it will grow in size until it starts causing disfigurement of the host. Eventually this parasite will realize that the host can no longer provide its nutritional needs. At this point the parasite will leave its host rather forcefully.

This forced exiting of the womb is when the parasite has reached its final transformation into a human. Becouse it is now a true human it can have birthdays starting from the day it made its transformation

Hmm, maybe instead of happy birthday it should be happy transformation day.

Edited by Racouol