The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WW XXVIII: Signup & OOC

As has been noted in another thread, Tanny's WW game is nearing completion, and a new one is due to begin. Here it is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theme: The Runaway Jury (loosely based on the book by John Grisham)

Characters:

-All characters are citizens of the USA (meaning that you have either come to the USA and gone through the process of gaining citizenship, or have been born in the USA)

-All characters are registered to vote, and are between the ages of 18 and 65

-All characters are residents of Harrison County (a division of the state of Mississippi, located along the Gulf of Mexico). The trial will be taking place in the Courthouse in Biloxi, which is the chief city of Harrison County.

-Characters may be of any background, race, sex, etc. provided they meet the requirements stated above.

-----------

Story:

The Trial of the Century' - this term has been bandied about in reference to many legal proceedings over the years, but in the world of Grisham's The Runaway Jury, it seems to fit. Celeste Wood, widow, is suing a major tobacco company for sending her husband to an early grave. Many lawsuits have been brought to bear against the tobacco companies over the years, and all of them ended in victories for the defense. Wood's case could either break open the dam, unleashing a flood of claims against the tobacco companies, or it could seal the tobacco case for decades to come. (from "The Runaway Jury" entry in Wikipedia)

Millions upon millions of dollars have been spent by those on both sides of the lawsuit before the trial has even began. Every detail about every one of the hundreds of prospective jurors has been gathered, analyzed, and memorized without the knowledge of those destined for possible jury duty, in order that the perfect jury may be found to give one side the advantage. However, a few details have not been found.

You are the members of the jury that are to decide this case, and at least one of you has motives other than justice behind your actions.

------------

Roles are traditional, and the persons who survive to the end will decide the verdict. No in-character mention of the wolves or roles is expected or required, but please post OOC votes for lynching with your post in the game thread.

- The wolves are characters who seek to manipulate the verdict.

- The seer is a character that has a source within one of the groups of lawyers, and is able to daily get inside information on any one juror.

- The baner is a person who is suspicious of his fellow jury members, and keeps an eye on one each night, making sure that they create no trouble and are not on the receiving end of any less-than-wholesome schemes.

Wolf/baner numbers will be adjusted to fit the number of players who sign up. Sign up will be open for at least one week.

------------

Deciding the verdict is something that will only be done by those surviving to the end, and they will be PM'd for their decision at that time.

Ultimately, the verdict will be one of two things, or perhaps a mix. It is to be decided by listening to the evidence presented throughout the lawsuit, not by pre-decision on the parts of the jurors.

-Cigarettes do cause cancer, or no adequate warning is given of their effects, and Mrs. Wood deserves payment both for the loss of her husband and to punish the tobacco companies for their deception.

-Cigarettes do not cause cancer, or adequate warning is given of their effects, and Mrs. Wood deserves nothing, and tobacco companies deserve no punishment.

-----------

When posting your character, please give your character's:

-Name

-Sex

-Basic appearance

-Background

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to PM or e-mail me should you have any questions, or need some character help. This is the first game that I have modded, and it is a great change from the one that I had initially planned. I will try to reply to questions sometime between 9 PM and 12 AM CST.

- Johnathan Deere

- Male

- White, well-groomed, wealthy

- Tractor Tycoon who despite being wealthy enough to bribe himself out of jury duty, and probably out of court if he had to, serves like every other US citizen cause he is just so gosh-darn proud to be an american. hard to payoff cause he already has everything he wants.

Hesitant sign up for me. I'm about to begin my exams so can't devote a whole lot of time but I should be able to remain at the very least active in the more basic of terms.

Right...character...

-Name: Katelyn Smythe

-Sex: Female

-Basic appearance: Caucasian, tall, slender, green eyes, short blue black hair. A fan of interesting emo-goth like clothing. Cynical.

-Background: Katelyn grew up in New York with her well-off parents until, when she was 16, they died in a house fire that also destroyed everything they owned (as they were too cocky to even bother with insurance). Broke and orphaned, Katelyn was sent to live with an aunt she'd never met in Harrison County. Unaccustomed to having to actually apply herself, Katelyn found herself out of high school with the most average of grades and no potential prospects for her future, aside from the job she holds precariously at the town's local bar. She misses the big city and dreams of going back, but unless she can find someone rich to marry she knows this isn't going to happen anytime soon. Her change in lifestyle and environment has left her cynical and bitter, and although she has often started a number of fights, she had held enough good sense to keep herself without a criminal record.

Sounds interesting! Well explained, though I'm sure other questions will come up as things develop. Do you have a limit to the characters, or are you accepting "alternates" as sign-up allows?

Character:

Name: Catherine "Cat" Barnes

Sex: Female

Basic appearance: Slightly plump and self-conscious caucasian woman with bright (probably dyed) red hair, always well groomed though casually dressed.

Background: Cat graduated in the top half of her high school class, which fortunately didn't require spectacular performance - for the most part. She married her high school sweetheart, but after they had two children he decided other women were more interesting. She's now divorced, ferociously protective of her eight and six year old daughters, and reluctant to serve for jury duty because that means her girls will have to stay with their father (since the day care she uses while working as Bakery Manager at the local supermarket cannot keep them overnight).

There is no limit to the number of characters.

I have decided that there will be no player characters who are alternates, and I may deviate greatly from having the standard 3 alternate jurors, depending on how well the wolves do.

If there are more than 12 players, I will begin the game with jury selection (picking the jury and alternates from among the several hundred prospects).

Again, please ask any and all questions that you may have about the game. Just don't expect too quick of answers if they are complex. ;)

-Name Natasha Allan

-Sex Female

-Age 22

-Basic Appearance A taller, skinny caucasian woman with fairly long dyed black hair and bright green eyes. Wears black and grey most often, with hints of colour here and there.

-Background Lived with the "normal American family" up until she graduated from High School with average grades. She went to a community college for a year before she dropped out to become a waitress and save her money. She has no children to worry about, but is very annoyed about this entire jury duty thing, as it will take time away from work and the "love of her life" and "absolutely perfect" boyfriend.

Thank you to everyone who has signed up so far! :)

I'll be closing signup on Saturday, and intend to start the game on Tuesday, at about 5:30 AM GMT.

------------------------------------

Those signed up so far...

-Savage Dragon (Johnathan Deere)

-Mynx (Katelyn Smythe)

-Ayshela (Catherine "Cat" Barnes)

-NightFae (Natasha Allan)

-Patrick (character to come)

Vahktang, did you intend to play?

------------------------------------

I must admit that I did not accurately portray the possible verdicts. The following could be possible "positive" results for the plaintiff:

-Tobacco companies are to blame for the death of Jacob Wood, the plaintiff's deceased husband.

-As the Tobacco companies are to blame for the death of Jacobe Wood, they should pay the estimated earnings that Mr. Wood would have made if he had not died at an early age.

-As tobacco companies would not feel the loss of several hundred thousand or a couple million enough for the verdict of "guilty" to change anything, they should be charged punitive damages of an unspecified, signifigant amount.

For the defendants, the following would be the possible "positive" result:

-Tobacco companies are not to blame for the death of Jacob Wood.

--------------------

I'd be thrilled if more players signed up, but if none do, I will greatly speed up and compact the game. Regardless of the number of players, the game will begin on Tuesday, 5:30 AM GMT.

if still taking roles add me

When posting your character, please give your character's:

-Name B.A. Peterson

-Sex male

-Age 40

-Basic appearance balding bearded bespectacled overweight tends to dress casually

-Background Nonlocal who came to town from northeast to get inheritance form his Uncle Brian. Uncle Brian wanted to keep in local so he opened up a book/comic /hobby store by converting his uncles old store. Relatively likeable but non native who pushes town sense of properness. Has been here ten years already but in some ways will never fit in. Likes serving jury duty but people are never quite sure why.

Edited by Giles Jordan

Here be a character:

John White-Toe

John's father still lived in an indian reserve in the heart of the U.S. Midwest, but John, breaking with the family tradition had moved away from the small remnant of his ancestors' lands, earned a Master's degree in business and now runs a small car loan firm of his on the outskirts of Biloxi. He still carries several marks of his heritage though, mostly tatoos on his back and chest, and his long hair is tied in braids. Next summer he shall have seen thirty-two winters come and pass.

I'd like to sign up, but I just got here and know very little of this werewolf game. When I find time I may read the other ones. Is there any place that has all the rules laid out, and shows how the game works? I'm not getting this "lynching, baning, killing" thing, and how is the seer decided? I'm just ask general questions on the WW game, and not on this specific game in general. If someone could PM me on how this works, that would be greatly appreciated.

Sweetcherrie, thanks for giving srsizzy the link to the WW questions/answers thread. srsizzy, if the thread doesn't answer your questions, please leave a post here or in that thread, and someone will answer your questions. If you'd like to play in this game, I'll need your character's name, sex, age, basic appearance, and background before the game starts on Tuesday at 5:30 AM GMT. Details of the background of this game are in the first post in this thread, and further ones may be discovered by PMing me. ;)

To everyone, I'll be sending out roles (villager, baner, seer, wolf) to all players after the first day phase. Day phases will run the standard 2 days, and night phases will be 1 day long. Roles of lynched/"killed" players will be announced with the post of their lynching/"death".

-----------

Those signed up so far...

-Mynx (Katelyn Smythe)

-Patrick (John White-Toe)

-Giles Jordan (To be announced)

srsizzy, I'll add your name and character once you confirm that you wish to be in the game.

-----------

Also, as a note to everyone, I'm only online and replying to messages/posting between about 3:00 AM and 5:30 AM GMT due to time limitations, so make sure that you ask questions well before you require answers. Feel free to post, PM, e-mail, or IM via MSN Messenger if you wish to talk to me.

Name: Jimmy Thompson

Sex: Male

Basic Appearance: Brown hair and hazel eyes. His hair is generally disheveled, as well as his casual clothing. He isn't tall, or short, and is fiarly unrecognizable in any way. So normal, that he almost stands out more in modern society.

Background: Though it would seem like he had a normal life, he spent seven years in a mental institution for harsh paranoia, and extreme halucination. During his entire childhood he saw a man named "Todd" every once and while, and "Todd" would convince him to do things. He got out of the mental institute by convincing his psychiatrist that he was "better". Other than that, his life was as normal as it could be for being delusional and paranoid all the time.

List of players:

-Mynx (Katelyn Smythe)

-Patrick (John White-Toe)

-Giles Jordan (B. A. Peterson)

-srsizzy (Jimmy Thompson)

----------------

I may run slightly late (15-30 minutes or so) with the first post due to working an hour or so later than I had planned.

srsizzy, your post looks excellent.

-------------

I'll try to provide additional information on each of the juror NPCs, but time is catching up with me once more.

------------

Expect that the next days will consist of witnesses, starting with the ones brought by the plaintiff, and followed by those the defense has chosen. They are to be key in giving the jury information to decide the verdict, though it is expected that the jurors will also follow their own opinions and experiences.

------------

On another note, I've made a slight change to the special roles. The baner has been removed due to the number of players, and there will be one wolf, and one seer.

And as you have probably seen, your roles have been sent.