The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Succession of Chaos - Redux

Gryphon

The gathering was subdued and small with a number of those who had been in line for the succession gathering to watch as Jerin of Sawall was confirmed as regent during the time of Merlin's absence.

There had been some speculation about whether the Logrus would support a temporary person on the throne and Suhuy had been particularly quiet when asked about what support could be expected for a cantidate from the Logrus for a regent when Merlin was presumably still alive.

A stir ran through the crowd as Jerin approached around the rim of the Pit of Chaos, a slight rustle of movement, a breath of sound. Faces, some human, some demon, most showing little to no interest in the proceedings watched with various emotions being reflected in their eyes.

As Jerin turned from the edge of the pit and took his first step towards the podium on which he was to have the regents circlet confired upon him he staggered.

Suprise and concern in various amounts flashed across the faces of the other cantidates as they realised that a dagger had bitten solidly home into Jerin's throat and they watched as one while he staggered backwards and fell into the Pit, his body returning to the chaos from where it had come.

In the confusion no-one knew who started the accusations, but suddenly all knew that the prize was within their grasp once more: the Regency and the Throne.

The priests shouted over the noise for silence, saying that the choice of the succession would be decided later. Some of the cantidates even heard them, most of the rest were leaving as fast as they could to lay plans or make their way to places of safety. Once again, the great game begins.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samantha paused on her way to the great hall to check herself over once more in a mirror. Satisfied with her sleek and groomed appearance, Samantha lifted her head high and entered the hall, her face already forming the perfectly measured smile - polite but not overbearing or excited - as she curtseyed demurely to the hosts before moving into the throng of people.

It only took a few minutes of circulating the various groups of people to know that the topic on everyone's mind was Jerin's assassination earlier that day. No one spoke it, but the hunger for the regency was nearly a taste on the air.

Samantha couldn't help but smile at some of the more guarded comments about how...fortunate Jerin's death was for the rest of the potential candidates. Even at this she had to agree. Her parents were thrilled to be able to promote their daughter once more for the candidacy of the throne - even more so since Samantha had so recently negotiated the Logrus successfully this past year.

Sipping from a glass of chilled wine as she surveyed the dining hall, Samantha continued her circulation of the various groups and crowds within the party, the years of experience showing in the young woman's grace and comfort as she exchaged conversation pleasntries with the other guests.

Sabastian watched the crowd move around him, acknowledged the sympathies of those that offered them, for the loss of a family member. It was of little real concern, he had grown up watching the race to ally and survive in this place, Jerin had been the obvious choice ahead of himself, and his selection to become regent had proved this. Pity his ability to pick allies carefully had failed him.

The rumour mill had begin its task of speculation and was working to blame all the usual enemies of Sawall. He expected more though, fingers pointed in most directions and the ones pointing were always on the top of his list. He knew who to watch.

:raven:

Edited by cryptomancer

Samantha joined the group beside him, graceful as ever. Sabastian moved to stand beside her, not too close as to be presumptious of her attention, but close enough to be noticed.

Her pleasent conversation was charming as ever, so light as to be noticed as wonderfully friendly, brilliant in the simple way she spun her words to flatter and appeal to all she spoke to.

Sabastian waited, he had pateince to spare for Samantha, he wanted to know her thoughts on Jarins death, she always seemed closest to the truth than the normal rumour, she had friends and family that just lived for the gossip and picked up on more than most would normally hear.

Samantha smiled and inclined her head in greeting when she caught Sabastian's eye, raising her glass in a silent toast as she continued listening to a pair of house ladies gossip about the goings on. After a few polite words she excused herself and moved to speak with Sabastian proper.

"Good evening Sabastian, my condolences for your house's loss. I trust your family received my message?"

"They did and with thanks my lady," Sabastian bowed in greeting and flashed a perfectly controlled smile. "So sad to hear of my cousin's misfortune, but having said that rather ignorant of him to let his guard down."

Samantha murmered a quiet agreement. Jerin had been rather cocky recently before his end.

"Does the house hold any suspicions?" she queried, receiving a rueful grin in return.

"We hold the same, as always. Fingers are in the process of being pointed and threats ensued. As with everyone here." Sabastian flashed a charming smile in Samantha's direction.

"Mayhap you have heard some news amongst your own?"

Samantha laughed pleasantly and hid her smile behind her glass.

"Much as you, sir. Common rumours and suspicions, depending on who they come from. The trick is in deciphering the truth from the fact."

Pausing, Samantha surveyed the room full of guests of which they were two.

"We are all once more in the running, and it would surprise me very little if your cousin's killer were in this room. Nor do I doubt that this will be the first."

Samantha turned back and raised both her eyebrow and her glass.

"The true game begins now, as we try to find friend from enemy."

Sabastian smiled with Samantha as she spoke, his eyes studying hers as he tried to find any hint of suggestion there that she was hiding something from him.

But controlled as she always was she gave nothing away. Sabastian just laughed as she suggested the game was just starting,

"Samantha, it really does depend on the nature of what you consider the true game. Unfortunately for Jarin the game was in full swing as he took his last steps. Personally Jarin and I had been playing the game against each other well before this and really do hope that Sawall does not declare a vendetta against anyone this time."

Samantha looked slightly startled at the suggestion, but hid it quickly, Sabastian noted the shift in her eyes.

"It is not often that they do, but he was rather highly favoured, and will be a loss to the house significant enough to at least have them discuss the possibility of all out revenge." smiling, Sabastian lowered his voice, "I would like to find those responsible for elliminating Jarin and thank them for clearing my path. If that is, I thought I would be safe enough talking to them, as vendettas do tend to increace animosity rather too much."

Sabastian grinned, his eyes sparkling enough to interest Samantha in passing on his suggestion as rumour. He could then let the usual whispers do the rest, he would find the assasin soon enough, then he could really start to play.

The General strode through the halls, his hoofs clacking on the stone, his staff in attendance making precis reports: troop strengths and positions, supplies, resources, allies and enemies.

He heard it all and digested it.

The finest military mind of many generations.

Here to protect the realm.

He liked his position and he liked the status quo.

Not having some one on the throne was a bad thing.

Chain of command and all that.

So many houses, so much intrigue, one of the reasons why he left all this to be in the army.

But they kept bringing him back.

He stopped and listened and saw a group of the major players talking:

Akallabeth - Ciroth of Hendrake

Johann of House Wererathe

Cid of Tarquin

What were they doing together?

He'd put his staff on it.

Good intelligence is worth it's weight in men.

He continued down the hallways, his staff in his wake, his hoofs clacking on the stone.

Johann nodded towards the General. A good man in time of need, but his greatest strength was also his greatest weakness, and almost made Johann preexclude him from the now open race for the throne. The General was one of the best military tacticians he had ever met, but unfortunately he seemed to like having his orders coming from someone, and Johann was not sure what the absence of that someone would do to him. This unknown was why he still might hold ambitions for the throne.

Johann turned back to the two he was standing next to. Ciroth was a powerfully built man, one who it seemed to Johann, could easily hold his own in physical combat. Cid was an enigma. Johann was never sure what emotions played under that mask of his.

The events of the last few minutes had only surprised Johann, because he had not expected the assassination to happen so soon. He had guessed that after Merlin's departure the first regent would not last long. Democratic choice had never been the forte of the court. Much blood would still flow before the end.

Johann spoke in his customarily low voice. Those who weren't used to it, had to strain their hearing to catch his words, but most already knew from reputation that Johann spoke quietly. He never wasted words either on unnecessary phrases, keeping to the bare minimum when publicly speaking.

"Did you see the assassin?" he asked them. His voice was casual, almost conversational, but invited the two others to share their information with him. The unspoken promise of reciprocating this exchange of information was carried in the wake of his words.

Cid threw back his head, raking the air with the plumes from his ridiculous wide-brimmed hat, and laughed. "Ha! Ha! Wouldn't have been much of an assassin if we had seen her!" he boomed, slapping Johann on the shoulder and nearly knocking him into Ciroth, who nodded slightly. "Mark my words, it was some bird who's done it, one minute they're half out of their corsets and the next they've got a dagger point up against you and 'I'll scream if you come one step closer!' when they haven't left half a step between you--"

He broke off and turned his jolly mask first towards Ciroth, then to Johann.

"You've never even tried Samantha, have you, mates?"

Duke sat in a lrage chair, toying with the knife he usually kept at his side. He ran his long fingers up and down the edge of the blade and quietly imagined the sensation of it entering his throat. He shuddered.

Duke put the knife away. He had no intention of leaving this life in that manner.

Climbing quickly out of the chair, he sought to find the family of Jerin to offer his condolences. Not so much for the family itself, for most would already be taking advantage of their family members death, and in this court, who knew, might be responsible for his death themselves. No, he did so only to honor the death of Jerin, for no matter how corrupt or unworthy a person may have been, Duke believed they desrved a moment of repsect in death.

He played with the hilt of his dagger as he walked. He only hoped someone would pay him the same respect some day...

Edited by MeThinksUFoolish

After the toodoo, Choseyre floated out of the way and it was a little while before she rejoined the group. When she did, there was a smile on her face and she strolled up to Katelyn.

"Well, well! That was a more interesting confirmation than I expected. But how are you? How have you been doing. Considering your status and your upcoming alliance, this must strike you as particularly interesting. With a grin, Choseyre paused a moment for an answer before continuing.

For myself, I think I would prefer to befriend the throne but I do like a bit of drama, you know! Frankly, it's a shame that I left the country to study for a bit but I didn't expect all this to happen!

Written with Azuran - thank you! :)

~~~~~~~~

She stepped away from the group around her, smiling gracefully and exchanging some last pleasantries. Her dark-blue eyes were sparkling, full of laughter - but also with a hint of mystery behind the long lashes. In her long midnight blue dress, her milky skin seemed to glow and radiate light.

Eyes glanced at her as she slid towards another group, unable to not notice again one of the Minobee sisters. The most observant caught the glint of blue-grey jewels in her hair, identifying her correctly as Katelyn of Minobee. To confirm that, Sol of Sepharis quietly joined her in a few steps.

”Whoever killed Jerin probably didn’t hang around…” Sol was scanning the others around Katelyn and him with the scrutiny of a warlord nevertheless. Had he seen the guilty party, it was clear that he would have delivered his own wrathful judgment upon him right then and there.

Katelyn tilted her head a bit, apparently lost in thought - except for her eyes which didn't miss anything around the room. Across from her, Karen caught her eye and nodded before turning to the couple at her side.

Katelyn turned back to her fiancée and what he was saying.

"True, I do think I could be a much better Regent than Jerin—I have the command and strength that he lacked—but there’s no excuse for cowardice such as his assassination was!”

Sol instinctively despised cowards, as any great military leader does. Katelyn nodded, also whispering, "One could have given him the chance to defend himself, yes... but that would also have been sloppy strategy. Jerin wasn't fit, and sometimes the necessary measures cannot wait for finesse."

Sol frowned, but Katelyn's eyes didn't waver. "It needed to be done, Sol... whatever the means, the result is still the same. The Regency is open, for the best among us."

Her tone was soft, but left no dobts on her thoughts - the best among them, and she was one of the best. Whether openly or not, she knew House Minobee had their eyes and hopes on her and her sister. And even House Sepharis wouldn't openly disagree with them, not while the alliance was kept strong through marriage ties.

Sol scowled slightly, running a large hand over his ashen beard subconsciously. His mind, however, couldn’t help lingering on the availability of the Regency—he knew he could be the greatest ruler of all time if it came within his grasp. Remembering again what Katelyn had been saying before that, he rationalized, “all I’m saying is that the ends don’t justify the means. Sure, a coward might get into power that way, but that’s the same way he’ll fall when it gets back around to him! Or her…”

In spite of the intensity of his answer, Katelyn relaxed. Sol's presence at her side was comforting, and even when they disagreed she knew that they respected each other too much to let it truly come between them.

Sol noticed Katelyn's tension gone, and touched her face lightly and briefly with a hand. She smiled, remembering the same gesture at the end of the Ritual of Courtship.

"I humbly request the blessings of the Holy Church of the Serpent on my courtship of Katelyn of Minobee. I have with me a blade suitable for consecration."

Sol had produced the knife, one that later he had given her.

"Proceed, Sol of Sepharis"

Under the stern gaze of the priest, Sol had taken the knife by its blade, holding it tightly until it cut the skin. Then he had offered it hilt-first to her, saying softly the words of the ritual.

"This is the consecrated blade, washed in my blood. If by allowing me this closeness you are betrayed, my blood on this blade will help it find my heart in punishment for dishonor."

She had taken the knife, looking into Sol's piercing sky-blue eyes and barely registering the Priest's words.

"So let it be written, so shall it be, in the Eye of the Serpent."

Katelyn knew that she was fortunate - politic maneuvering had decided that Sol would be a good addition to the Minobee assets, being the skilled military commander that he was. While House Sepharis was clearly pushing Sol into their intended alliance with a Great House, using the friendship ties he had with her.

An arranged marriage with a friend shouldn't be a problem with Katelyn, and it wasn't. There wasn't passion in her - she doubted she could ever feel that, towards anyone - but what she felt was enough. Or so she hoped, since she was aware that Sol deserved more than that.

Sliding elegantly across the floor, reserving a polite word to those who greeted her, Katelyn approached Sabastian as Samantha left for a while. Her voice had a crystalline quality, modulated carefully to not be too low or too loud.

"Greetings, Sabastian. I offer my sentiments on the loss of your cousin... and bow to the fortune of House Sawall on having another one who qualifies so high for the Succession."

Sabastian inclined his head, acknowledgin both the condolences and the compliment, while wondering what the Minobee sister had hidden behind her words. Katelyn smiled, showing in her eyes that she was aware of that first, instinctive thought.

Katelyn was also aware that, besides Sol at her side, there was another one observing her. She let her gaze wander away from Sabastian for a second or two, to locate the tall Chaosite sipping a drink in a group nearby.

Ciroth of Hendrake... a warrior. Who is he looking for in this group? Sabastian, Sol... myself?

Choseyre's voice calling her came in that moment, and she smiled at her as she approached.

"I have been well, thank you, Choseyre. I hope you have been doing the same. As for our alliance... it will make both our Houses stronger."

"I think if everyone just remains honorable," Sol stressed the last word slightly, "we'll be able to see a new leader emerge soon enough..."

Katelyn smiled to herself, and added, "I've heard about your studies... what have you learned of interesting? I'm quite sure that it would help you in the current situation, too..."

Even talking to Choseyre, Katelyn's eyes never left Ciroth or Sabastian completely - though neither the latter nor Choseyre would find any fault in her.

Keeping his face emotionless, Ciroth replied to Cid,

"No, I have not."

Cid did not only wear a physical mask, he thought. He seemed to hide his thoughts and his agendas behind his caricature of a pirate. Who knew what was going on inside that mind besides Cid? Ciroth didn't believe that Cid would be one to share his private mind with others, even in his house. However, Ciroth knew that Cid looked at the death of the former Regent designate with as much greed and anticipation as any other in the room. Thus he ought to be watched.

He glanced slightly to the side, and skimmed over Johann. He seemed to be an honest enough man. Making it all the more likely that something might be hidden behind that guise of fair words, and unstated promises.

Johann knew there were none that he could trust , though perhaps some would be worthy of being allies. If he kept his eyes on them.

Obviously, the best people to have as allies would be leaders. Commanders. Those who truly knew how to direct others.

He knew that he was an excellent warrior and commander among the Chaosians. After all, had his house not always been recognized for it's talent in war? Honor...loyalty...martial prowess. No other house could stand with Hendrake in this field.

But who else was there to look to?

The General immidiately appeared in Ciroth's mind, nearly causing him to give a thin smile. He was a leader of troops, certainly. However, as implied by his name, he was a general. He needed another to give him his orders. Though he did seem to be growing bolder as time went on...

Ciroth lifted his glass of fine red wine to his lips, and took a sip while looking at Sol of Sepharis. There was another commander, a fine one who also valued honor, or gave lip service to it, at least. However, Ciroth had a feeling that Sol would be true, wether he would be a leader... or an ally. He glanced away slowly, moving on to another group as it became that one of the twins of Minobee had noted his interest in Sol. Probably the one that was Sol's fiance, though Ciroth couldn't tell for certain at that distance.

Other than those two...

Ciroth let his eyes wander throughout the crowd, still slowly sipping the glass of wine

There were no other military leaders among the others, not that he recognized. All the others seemed to be of other backgrounds. Mages, sorcerors, and various others adept and dangerous in their own ways, but none that he saw as being familiar with command of others.

He knew who he would need to go to... one way or another.

Ciroth turned back to Cid and Johann, having finished his short lapse into thought.

"I'm quite sorry, just drifted away from what you were saying," he said with a slight smile and bow of his head.

"Now, where were we?"

Samantha continued to circulate the room, exchanging pleasantries with many as she listened to their words, trying to see if anyone was going to slip up in what they said. It rarely happened - all who were in the courts were trained against such a thing until it became second nature - but every now and then...

Eventually, she found herself at the open balcony, taking in some fresh air as she continued to watch the crowds in their constant dance of politics. She smiled and raised her glass to a few party members she recognised out on the balcony, but when none made any move to strike conversation with her, Samantha went back to pondering Sabastian's words.

Sabastian is right, she mused. The game was in full swing by the time Jerin entered that particular...round...

The question is, who here was playing?

Denor stood in his usual postion, not walking just standing holding his hands behind his back. A look of thought was deepset into his face.

There was a lot to think about. A new game had been started although the game seemed the same that he had just played not long ago. But there were always subtle differences.

He nodded as people passed by. All of the familiar faces were here. But he didn't speak. Too much to think about, to much to plan, too much to do.

Sabastian excused himself from the ever shifting group, he was getting tired of the constant sympathies, and the fact that so few were truely sincere was annoying him.

Moving to one of the many seats he sat and relaxed a little, still watching the crowd, listening for snippets of conversation that may end up being usefull.

Ideas of the strengths that various candidates had lead him to weigh them against each other. Sawall may have had favour with Jarin, yet he doubted a second from the same house would be selected so soon. Assassination was always such a blatant indicator that the selection was a mistake. He needed allies in this, Jarin left too many enemies, even if it was just one, he died for the error.

There were the houses that had always supported Sawall, but most would be out for their own adenda now, the smaller houses made more sence to woo, as they had most to gain from a strong ally.

Edited by cryptomancer

Without a doubt the evening had been a success. Most of the cantidates for the succession had attended and their circulation amongst the crowd let some of the high society get to know their potential regents somewhat better.

As the party broke up several of the cantidates strode across the open plaza towards their carriages in preparation for their journey home.

Cid approached his family vehicle with a nod to the driver to open the door, letting his mind range over the evening. Had some of the cantidates been cooler towards him than he expected? Perhaps they could see the threat that he posed towards their chances for the regency?

A sudden premonition warned Cid moments before the attack came and with smooth skill he ducked under the dagger blow that was aimed at his throat, a savage primal roar sounding from his throat as his form rippled and changed to that of a half man half lion.

Turning the duck into a tumble Cid came back to his feet well within arms reach of the would be assassin, a slight flick of his wrist tearing the failed killers throat out and dumping the remains on the ground with a look of contempt.

With a look of disgust at the petty excuse for an assassin at his feet Cid of Tarquin began the shift back towards his human form when from behind him he heard a soul chilling wail.

The approach of the fire angel was anything but subtle - it didn't need to be. Upon seeing that it's target had spotted it the twelve foot tall beast lunged forward, it's red-brown body appearing to be covered in fresh blood as it reflected the red colour of the sky.

Despite knowing fire angels to be virtually indestructable Cid put up a respectable fight for the few minutes he survived. He successfully managed to cause several minor wounds on the massive chaos beast before one of the spikes on it's body took him through the chest.

Staring down at the mortal wound gushing blood over the stone of the plaza words rippled across Cid's failing consiousness... "They wanted me dead worse than I thought..." Then the fire angel ripped his head from his shoulders and tore apart the remains of the corpse.

After giving a disinterested look at the few observers remaining in the courtyard the fire angel grabbed a portion of what used to be Cid of Tarquin and began to feed.

(written for the day party and though it's a bit too late I dont' want to waste it so I'm posting anyway.)

s Sol spoke, Choseyre's blue eyes darted to him with interest. "Do you think people here will behave with honor? This is a" She paused a moment here. "This is an interesting court and sometimes it's hard to know who to depend on for honor or anything else."

Smiling, Sol closed his eyes briefly, scratching an itch on his forehead and exposing the snake tattoo in the process. "I trust my faith to illuminate the path of honor, and to expose those who would sin. And I've been known to be an excellent judge of character..." Sol smiled a little more and took a small sip from his drink.

Choseyre chuckled. It seems a useful faith and a rare enough one. Perhaps if more followed your path, we'd have a smoother path before us. I think sometimes we forget that this regency must be all about the country. Really, I just want to help this country. There are so many wonderful things to be done! That's why I don't plan to fight and it's why I dislike what happenned to Jerin. I rather suspect you could be a better king than he but I wish this could have all been settled differently.

"So true, so true," Sol nodded. "Well, here's to wishing the best for the lands!" He raised his glass, tilting his head towards Choseyre respectfully.

Choseyre nodded and raised hers in return. With a peaceful smile she surveyed the room. All was going well. Katelyn saw the break in conversation and graciously filled it by asking how Choseyre's studies had gone.

As she heard Katelyn speak, Choseyre's introspective face turned to a lighter smile "Well, I spent most of my time studying the magic of people and yes it does indeed come in quite handy." Choseyre twirled a glass of wine as she paused. It's just that studying in magician dark rooms is quite drab compared to this court as you can imagine."

As Katelyn nodded, Choseyre smiled and gave slight shrug. Both women turned and Choseyre moved off towards Samantha. "So, what do you think of all this?"

The General sat at his desk reviewing reports of troop movements out in shadow, a necessary part of his daily routine.

With a noise of satisfaction he pushed the last of the reports to one side and allowed himself the luxuary of a moment's rest and contemplated the upcoming struggle for the regency and the throne.

Were The General more given to displaying his feelings a grin might've played across his features, as it was he settled for displaying a thin smile. Everything was approaching readyness, in a few days it wouldn't matter who was selected as regent because there would be enough loyal troops within quick hailing distance to ensure that the choice of regent fell upon The General's choice... that being himself.

Let the others in the Court think him weak or needing to take his orders from higher ranked members of the Court. They would learn otherwise once the throne was his.

Ringing for one of his staff The General indicated that the aide was to bring in his dinner, prepared by his own staff and served in the privacy of his own quarters.

With typical military efficency a junior member of The General's staff brought in a meal that The General did a good job of inhaling utterly, a battlefield habbit that had stayed with him in recent troubled times.

Pushing aside his tray The General turned back to his work in time to feel a stabbing pain ripple through his stomach and the rest of his body. Gasping in agony he turned to the junior staff member only to see a grin of triumph plastered all over the young assassin's face.

With a bestial growl and a grunt of effort The General grabbed his massive sword and took a shaky step towards the assassin, then another before collapsing on the floor as the strength flowed out of his body, his sword rolling free of his grasp.

Another massive shudder ran through his massive body as The General coughed up a fountain of slighty green liquid, then died face down in the slime.

Carefully the assassin collected the little evidence that he'd ever been there before shifting form to that of a non-descript palace servant and scampering from the room unnoticed.

"So much for the possibility of a military ruler." Sabastian's thoughts sifted the news of latest killing. "It really was a pity, military rulers were always a good option, they possessed a strength of charactor that so many politicians lacked."

Sabastian moved about his rooms restlessly, the latest kill had upset him more than others, because the general was definitly one of the stronger of their number, the success of an assassin against him hinted at a deeper power struggle than the regency, could someone actually be after the throne? These thoughts disturbed him, Sawall was a strong house but if a usurper took control they stand to lose a great deal.

The idea of a vendetta played in the back of his mind as Sabastian moved to find more news, and listen to the gossip in the main halls.

Samantha sipped at her coffee as she listened to her gaggle of family 'friends' gossip about every viable topic under the sun. She was paying enough attention to take in what they were saying, but remained without much interest until the General's assassination came up.

"I just can't believe the audacity of whoever it was!" one of the girls exclaimed as she accepted the refill offered by one of the servants.

"Some will do a lot to get closer to the throne," another commented. "Although if they got caught it would destroy their reputation within the courts."

Samantha nodded and made a small noise of agreement at this.

Whoever was skilled enough to remove the General would have no small level of confidence about his or her skill.

"The problem is," she pointed out to her friends, "what if whoever is doing this does not get caught? How are we to know the difference between good politics and less than honourable actions?"

Samantha watched as the group fell into a troubled silence, before one of them - Annalise? - broke the spell with a story about yet another suitor who had decided to pursue her. The rest leapt on the change of topic with a furor, and were soon gossiping loudly again, leaving only Samantha to her worried thoughts about the rising possibility of deception in the courts.

Duke paced the floor of his chamber, muttering under his breath. his brows were furrowed deeply and his recent insomnia apparent in his features. he had a heavy weight on his chest and he could not rest until he had talked about it with someone. there was just one problem, in a world of politicians like Duke lived in, there was no one safe to talk to, no one you could trust to keep secrets, no shoulder to cry on. Duke had often felt like he could use a shoulder to cry on.

he had no one, but Duke knew he would not be able to rest until he had talked so he just made do with what he had. Duke sat down on the edge of his bed and just began to talk. His voice was soft and paused often, but it was clear with no hint of quivering. He knew no one was listening but he spoke because he had to be heard.

some call this prayer.

what he said was this,

"I am a chess player

and like most chess players, I have a terrible habit of comparing the court's politics with the politics of the board. the obvious comparison of kings and queens makes it far too easy for men like me to classify the people around them as pawns or knights; castles or bishops; pieces or players.

however, contrary to the game of chess, every person in these political games hold two roles, the one they appear to be and the one they are. often men who made themselves to be kings are sacrificed as pawns. often the players will hide among their pieces.

I have always played the part of the pawn. with the death of my family at such a young age, I have been at the mercy of the people around me for quite some time. and in truth, I am afraid to be anything more than a pawn. as a pawn I am often overlooked and I have a lesser chance of being destroyed as a king or queen might. I prefer the role of pawn because i am afraid of these other pieces, pieces that could so easily destroy me.

the same way they destroyed my family...

and so I have always been charismatic, I have always been generous.

as a friend to everybody i am safe.

but it is times like these, when the comparison between chess and politics becomes frighteningly strong, that chill me to my core. the "players" are moving too fast for me to follow and "pieces" are being toppled on all sides of the board. even as a friend to all i am at risk, for these players are willing to sacrifice a friend to win.

I have no doubt that these players would be willing to sacrifice all the pieces in their control to win this horrific game.

no, even as a pawn, I am not safe. perhaps the time has come for me to be more than a pawn...

but i am so afraid

even a pawn can become a knight if it reaches the end of the board..."

Duke sat in silence for fifteen more minutes at the conclusion of his prayer. then he extinguishes the light and disappeared into the darkness

in the darkness a soft voice said, "sometimes if you can't win the game, the next best thing to do is upset the board."

Sabastian ignored the first summons to the Sawall House Council, he did not wish to discuss the pursuit of a all out vendetta.

The second and third arrived almost similtaniously.

The meeting was brief, he was handed an envelope and instructions to confirm its contents, simple, no negotiations.

Sabastian scanned the contents as he returned to his rooms, "interesting" he thought, the council has a few leads, and more substancial than mere gossip. He looked at the two names on the first page, neither would be easy to pursue, both had rejected closer ties with Sawall in the past, this indeed would be interesting.

It only took a few monents to decide between the two who he would approach first, and moments later left his rooms to find him. Somewhere public first, force a polite meeting where all could hear.

Edited by cryptomancer

The staff gathered.

"With the General dead, what measures shall be taken?"

"Sack the city. Death to all the high houses."

"Not just the high houses. All the houses."

"Military rule."

Agreement amoungst some, consideration amoungst others. No one actually disagrees.

"And who exactly is to rule," says the General's closest aide.

Several begin to speak up and notice the others, then quiet and look abashed.

"A council then. A military council."

"That is not the way of the military caste."

"So we should do nothing over this?"

They think for a moment.

"A military grab for power without a single individual to command would lead to civil war."

These blooded veterans to a a person almost all shudder.

"We are agreed then, no grab for power from the military.

"We serve the throne, whoever is on it."

"Until we get another General."

Several smile at that.

"Yes, agreed. "

"And until that time, we shall be prepared, and preparing."

They all agree.

"Now, on to other matters."

Sabastian sat and relaxed with a drink in front of him on the low table. This place was perfect, quite, but with enough people to prevent any public aggression shoud the council's suspicions prove true.

He took a sip of the dark liquid in the crystal goblet and replaced it on the table, then, summoning a messanger he gave inistructions.

"Please convey my invitation to Sol of House Sepharis to join me."

Sabastian watched the messanger leave, now was the test, if all suspicion was correct, this would end very quickly, or not happen at all. It was just a matter of waiting now, see if Sol would be drawn to discuss things in more detail.