The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Four Words

Gwaihir

This is a game stolen from this site, Ship of Fools and it seems very appropriate for then pen so I'll bring it here.

The idea is easy. I'll start out by giving four words. The next person will write a few sentences (or more or less) containing all four of the words and then give new words. Changing their form is perfectly allowed

Here's an example (with credit giving to 'Master Tubby Bear' who wrote the paragraph below. When yours truly gave these words:

Moose

kumquat

feldspar

parsimonious

The following paragraph was written:

It really riled Dr Bob, the eminent chemist, how parsimonious his wife had been with his packed lunch. Feldspar research all day, and only one kumquat rattling around in the tupperware container. "She's as useless as a Moose in a dressage contest" he said, trying not to think of chocolate mousse.

So, try it!

The four words are

juicy

pterodactyl

jail

blunt

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I could be riding around on a brontosaurus," mused Jason. "I could be soaring the skies on a pterodactyl. I could...!" He stopped when I put my hand on his shoulder. "Time for your vitamins," I told him, handing them over with a glass of water.

"Ah, this apple looks very juicy," he replied, taking the items from me and swallowing down the pills. He immediately started speaking again after, lamenting about all the things he would do if he weren't in jail. "Hate to be blunt," I interrupted, "but you're not in jail. You're in a mental institution!"

Ever had a crazy person look at you like you were insane?

OOC: Hope that wasn't too long.

New words:

five

simulation

delineate (Definition, just in case)

dizzy

Dr. Bob shook his head and turned from Jason's cell with a sigh. He tried to tune out the screams as he walked down the hall, focussing his thoughts on the juicy kumquat in his lunchbasket.

"A pterodactyl, I tell ya!" The sound of the padded cell walls reverberating caused Dr. Bob to pause for a moment. "Hey, Tyrannosaur, come back here and gimme another high-five would ya?!"

Bob shivered for a moment, then strode down the hallway in long strides, faster and faster until he reached the Ward lounge. He stepped inside and closed the door behind him, leaning back against it and staring up at the dizzy blur of luminescent ceiling lights. He fumbled through his pockets for a cigarette.

"Rough day with Prehistoric Pilham, eh?"

Dr. Bob froze up and turned his eyes from the lights, only to go calm when he noticed Security Guard Jack nursing a coffee at the miniature lounge table.

"Yeah, that Jason's a real nut job." Bob shook his head and lit up. "I swear, there're days in this biz where I wish I had just stuck to those goddamn feldspars. It's like a regular simulation of the mental patient experience when dealing with some of these creeps."

"Yeah, though that Pilham ain't bad." Jack took a long sip. "You should've seen Macho Man Morandy Savage when he was around. Spat like a viper, bucked like a moose... had to put him down."

Dr. Bob let out a half-hearted laugh that ended in a smoker's cough. He doused out his cig on a refrigerator magnet and brushed a hand through his hair.

"Jason wasn't kidding, it's like a friggin' jail-cell in this place sometimes." Bob turned to the door. "I gotta go delineate Jason's behavior to Asylum Co-head Pete. That parsimonous bastard cut fifty bucks from my last paycheck just cus I got a description to him ten minutes late. Ain't looking to see it happen again."

"Parsimonous?" Jack shook his coffee cup and watched the liquid twirl. "What does that-?"

But Bob was already gone.

;-)

Next four words:

scofflaw

dodder

polecat

codpiece

Well! With all the scofflaws who come doddering in here on their canes to complain it has gotten hard to work around here. I'm trying to write a scientific masterpiece on the breeding habits of polecats and then in comes some fool who wants to complain about my work. I don't care how they did it in his day! I have seen at least six polecats use codpieces to enhance their attractiveness to the females of their species and I have every right to document this without having to defend myself to unbelieving nincompoops!

atlas

giggle

moose

Zadown

This was definitely not a job for him. Zadown sighed, as the young girls giggled once again. He glanced around the classroom, wishing for the class to end soon, so that he could get out of here. He would definitely not try being a replacement teacher again. The girls giggled again as Zadown hung the large atlas next to the blackboard.

"Canada, situated in North America." - Zadown announced pointing at the map, tracing the country's borders.

"Is that where moose come from?" - a blond girl asked. The whole classroom erupted in laughter, and Zadown sunk down in his chair, finally giving up.

Next words:

anticonstitutionally

grizzly

radar

vodka

Jim took a drink from the bottle before handing it to the man next to him. Both men huddled together in the dimness beside the snowbank, dressed in thick animal furs, the freezing air making ice mustaches of their breath. Jim grimaced with the lingering taste. "What a horrific antiappealing siphon dredge. And us with nothing else!"

The other man made a pained face as he took a long swig in turn, and then said, "Dammit Jim, I'm a word game NPC, not a two-bit scholar. If I have to tell you to speak english again this bottle is going where the sun don't shine, and I don't mean over the snowbank!"

Jim grimaced again as he took his next swig, then replied, "No really, this stuff is anticonstitutionally grizzly radar vodka. How do they get this to taste so bad, simmering antiuncontaminated seal viscera?"

Soul

Quantum

orbitron

fluffy

"Sir, can you tell us what the Kinetic Biomatter Orbitron actually does?"

Jeff Waxworthy wiped his brow. "What 'n a who now?"

"Explain your work, sir."

"Oh. Yeah. Well, er, it works on the quantum level, uh, by uh, looking at the, er, the parts inside of you that make up your soul. It-"

"Sir, can you explain that further? What physical components have you found for the soul?"

"Er... what?"

"What parts, Mr. Waxworthy?"

"Er..."

The examiner sighed. "Get him out of here. His whole report is fluff. He's not getting a passing grade from me."

Sorry... New words:

switch

history

aquamarine

newt

Edited by Katzaniel

There are many key points in history where circumstances and forces collide to irrevocably change the trajectory of events. A careful examination of precursor conditions and events will usually reveal, in clear logical fashion, the causal chain, but that is not always the case. Sometimes, the sequence of events is completely counterintuitive, often mysterious, and occasionally, evil.

One such example from history is the inexplicable switch of the Aquamarine Newt. What happened to them, we do not know, nor do we know what malevalence was behind the source of the orange ones that took their place. What we do know is we really miss our little squishy blue buddies.

:rubberchicken:

Pyramid

time

erotic

nuclear

By the time our camels arrived at the pyramids sweat was pouring down our backs. Normally I wouldn’t like sweating like a pig, but the man on the camel in front of had taken his shirt off, and boy, that was in one word 'wow'. Small drops of sweat were following traces over his browned skin, down towards the edge of his jeans, and all in all it was a rather erotic sight. It made me wish I was a drop of sweat.

When the man came over to make the camels kneel down so we could descend I kept hoping he would make my camel kneel last so I could see this guy’s muscles flex as he got of his animal. I felt all sorts of chemical reactions unfold in my body, and I think that if he would have touched me there and then, nothing short of a nuclear explosion would’ve wiped us of the earth.

I drank in his beauty, and his gorgeousness until I felt fully refreshed, and then looked next to me. My dear husband was smiling at me, holding out his hand to help me get off my camel. Oh well, back to the real world. I descended and pressed a kiss on my hubby's cheek, I don't think he will ever guess what it was for, but I know. I know.

ghosts

ninja

mouse

candystore

I'm a ninja, I'm a ninja, I'm a ninja.

I repeat the sentence dozens of times in my head, trying to overcome my fear. Beads of sweat run down my face as I crouch on the roof of the candystore, awaiting the perfect moment I had been taught to seek. I do not comprehend why I am so afraid. I mean, there have been rumours and legends about this particular shop being haunted by ghosts circulating for hundreds of years, but a brave ninja like me does not heed those rumours.

I shift the shuriken from my left hand to my right, then suddenly freeze as I hear a noise from behind me. A new wave of sweat breaks out all over me, as I turn around, sincerely expecting to see a ghost creeping from one of the cracks in the roof.

But it is only a mouse. Cursing my own foolishness and fear I turn back, and see that the perfect moment has already passed.

Next words:

powergamer

quizzical

fish and chips

stupor

I listened to the politician make his speeches and I really tried to be open minded this time. I tried to not to assume anything but with some people it's so hard not to. This time that son of unmarried parents was explaining why he had voted against a ten million dollar allotment to the hippopotamus rescue fund. In vain his reasonable opponent quoted statistics and noted that at least ten hippos have died in the last year due to sphincter cramps. One poor baby even got buried by lava because it began to have craps as it was running after its mother in an attempt to escape an erupting volcano. What kind of country would refuse to spend ten million to save sweet hippos from sphincter cramps?

OOC: I was just thinking how nicely short Zool's reply was, and then this came out of my fingers....oh well :P

*GLUMP*

Dennis felt himself being swallowed by the hippopotamus, and it didn’t even hurt. He swam to the hippo’s stomach and swam around a bit. It was awfully dark in here, and he wished he’d never ignored his mother’s wise words, and swim too close to the beast’s mouth.

Just as he was about to give up he heard a sweet voice crying for help. As fast as his fins would take him he swam towards where the sound was coming. Looking around he finally saw where the voice came from. In the middle of the hippo’s stomach there was the most charming little fish stuck half above water. Her fins looked awfully dry already, and Dennis saw that she was getting weaker and weaker.

Without thinking Dennis came to the rescue and bumped as hard as he could against the plants that were holding down the girl fish. Another big bump and she was free. He supported her down into the watery stomach content, and finally she could breath again.

“Are you ok?” He bubbled.

The girl nodded, and a small bubble came from her mouth.

“I tried getting out of here, but this hippo seems to have an iron stomach.”

Dennis’ already globy eyes widened, “You mean there’s actually a way out?”

The girl fish nodded, “And now you’re here, we might just be able to make it. We have to create lots of bubbles, and give the hippo gas. That way he might just have to fart, and we could simply spray out together with the bubbles.”

Our fish thought about this for a moment, and then nodded as manly as he could, “Don’t you worry, we will get out of here.”

They started bubbling, and bubbling, and Dennis was started to feel light-headed, that’s how hard he worked on getting the biggest bubbles. But finally they heard a small rumble.

“Faster!” The girl fish shouted excitedly, and they worked even harder to get more and more and more bubbles.

Then with a heavy rumble the hippo passed gas, and the two little fish rode the wave that was being pressed through the hippo’s sphincter. Like a volcano water, and air, and Dennis and his new-found girlfriend were spewed out of the hippopotamus. With a ‘plump’ they landed back in the pond and quickly swam away from the beast.

“Phew, that was close,” Dennis said.

But before he could bubble more, the girl fish had given him a kiss on his bubbly lips, “Thank you so much, now I will go look for my boyfriend, he must be worried.”

And she swam away, leaving poor Dennis with a fishlip that almost touched the bottom of the pond.

New words:

- Roses

- Screwdriver

- Teaspoon

- Polka dot

(LOL! Those are both pretty funny! :D )

"Do you have your screwdriver?" The section Sargeant wasn't shouting exactly, but with his mouth inches from Private Dennis' ear, it sounded REAL loud to him, especially the way it echoed in the small metal room they were in.

"Yes Sir!" Private Dennis third class looked sharp, standing at attention in his stiff white coveralls, his hair perfectly trimmed, his black shoes gleaming, single silver dot rank insignia flashing on his lapel, his gaze staring straight ahead, immaculate toolbelt around his waist.

"Do you have your teaspoon?"

"Yes Sir!"

"Are you going to trip through the roses and throw clods all over the Admiral's wife's nice Polka dot curtains?", nearly shouted the Sargeant, indicating the decor with one hand without looking away from Private Dennis' eyes. Warm light from no definite source made space-age fixtures gleam against one wall, while a plot of real dirt with roses opened against a dark round window, out of which nothing could be seen but stars, and over which hung the curtains, half open.

"No Sir!" Private Dennis managed to keep an absolutely straight face.

"Then whip that tool out and get to work!"

Private Dennis responded with precision moves, retrieving from his tool belt the 'teaspoon', a long handled spoon shaped implement of some kind, and plungeing it into the bowl in front of him.

"Just remember Private, you are going to be the best damn plumber in Starfleet!"

Celestial

Fact

hair

Mammalian

Celestial angels enviously stare, an objective fact of intention. She stands apart, yet unaware; Eyes flashing joyous saphire invention. Her hair dances with her every move, in flowing chestnut tresses, her every move a symphony, in effortless sanguine stretches. Her smile, connective, lights the men on fire, but it's her body, sculpted by God, that's the center of mammalian desire.

Teddy bear

hug

dragon fly

flower

The late afternoon sun basks the cotton fields in a golden glow. My mind wanders back to the days when I still believed in pixies, when I was still a child. The days of my innocence, when I used to help my father in these fields. Oh, the blisters I had on my hand when I was eight years old! I'm shocked out of my daydreaming by the daily freight train passing behind me. The driver, as every day, waves to me, and I wave back. Then, heavily leaning on my gnarled staff, as is the privilege of an old man of my age, I turn back to the cotton fields and tell the workers that their shift is over.

rabbit

asterisk

french fries

coffeine addict

The rabbit's eyes bugged out and its nose twitched so much that it looked like an asterisk. It was eating french fries in an unsuccessful attempt to to deal with its coffeine addiction. Ever since the advent of coffeine - extra-high caffeine content coffee - the whole world was addicted.

Mwahahaha!

Erm... more words... (and these will actually be words, not phrases, you crazy people)

mwahaha

sail

glass

honey

"Where is my glass of honey??" roared Bill the Pirate's voice over the deck. The sail boat the pirates had captured two days earlier was anchored in a hidden cove. Bill made his way to the back of the boat, where finally he spotted his glass of honey, in the shaky hands of the proprietor of the vessel. "Mwahaha, honey!!" - Bill said, before starting to drink it down in big gulps.

Edit, because I forgot to post the new words...

beach

Linux

jingle

straight

Edited by Patrick Durham

Matt sighed in exasperation as once again a beach bum jogged by, kicking sand straight into the keyboard of his new laptop. Being dragged off on holiday was bad enough, with the newest updates for Linux due any day and the network waiting for him back at home. This, though, was just too much! Sentenced to a day of "fun and sun" when he had his contest entry for The Most Evil, Addictive, Mind-Numbing Jingle Ever contest to compose? He shook his laptop gently and once again deposited a small pile of sand beside him, then scowled and slogged off toward the hotel in search of a dark and peaceful corner near an outlet.

Ripp Guitar lay dreaming peacefully under a starry sky, the spreading radiance of the rising sun slowly brightening the eastern horizon. From somewhere far down the slope of the mountainside below the deck he was sleeping on a faint call reached his ears... the first cock-crow of the day.

The far-off peal faded in ever-weakening echoes across the wooded hills, like the last wisps of a cloud evaporating over a desert, or the last few drops of water in a bathroom sink circling down the drain, and as the call faded the faint eastern light brightened in the birth of a new day, as down cracked, The top of the sun's head peeking from Mother earth's canyon, issuing light in a brilliant delivery.

Calm descended for one eternal moment in the peace of the brand new day, then Ripp took a sharp intake of breath, leaped up, grabbed his guitar, which was always kept in the arms of a large teddy-bear, plugged in and 'hot', and began aggressivley strumming mighty riffs.

Five one thousand watt amplifiers screamed Ripps 'Good morning' out across the green fields of the valley far below. The notes quickly rose in scale, then dove and rose again in quixotic screaming ecstasy of feedback and the over amplified heterodyning of steel strings.

Striking five last vigorous chords he finished, then smashed the guitar to bits in a single powerful swing, the hills alive with the sounds of musical deconstruction. Taking a ready can of lighter fluid from between the BBQ and the cheap lounge chair he had been sleeping on he doused the wreckage of the guitar, then lit it with his lighter.

Sitting back on the chair to warm himself in front of the licking flames, it suddenly entered his mind that it was a new day, and he was awake.

skin

cosmic

shimmering

toad