The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Haiku Challenge!

Yo!

To everybody out there feeling poetic and in touch with nature, and all green and blossoming around them.

Spring time is coming, and with ‘Five elements’ slowly wrapping up I decided we need a new challenge ;)

This time we’ll be haikuing…errr….yeah, haiku it is. All Haiku will have to be within the subject of nature. I’ve found a definition online:

Haiku

Most popular definition, but there is more to haiku than meets the eye:

Haiku (also called nature or seasonal haiku) is an unrhymed Japanese verse consisting of three

unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables (5, 7, 5) or 17 syllables in all. Haiku is usually

written in the present tense and focuses on nature (seasons).

The 5/7/5 rule was made up for school children to understand and learn this type of poetry.

For an in depth description of Haiku, please visit the Shadow Poetry Haiku, Senryu, and Tanka

section on shadowpoetry.com. There is much more to haiku than the made up 5/7/5 version.

Example #1:

Pink cherry blossoms

Cast shimmering reflections

On seas of Japan

Taken from www.shadowpoetry.com

Rules:

- traditional 5-7-5 haiku

- each haiky has a focus on nature

- anybody can enter

- have fun….err….yeah! ;)

In this challenge I have the great honour to be working together with: Tannuchan, Finnius, and Gwaihir. Each of us 4 will in the end pick out the poem we liked best, and give comments on why we liked this one best.

Now, what would a challenge be without a price? So just as that little extra incentive we will give out 50 geld to the best haiku written, if we manage to get at least 10 contestants.

I think that should be about all there is to it, and here the only thing left to say for me is: Good luck ^_^

Jikes! forgot to give a closing date....I think the end of this month sounds pretty ok....so you all have till the end of March to post your haiku.

and already got a question as well:

Can a person submit more than one haiku?

Yes, you can submit as many as you want, the goal here is to inspire people, not to hold them back.

So let those juices flow! ^_^

I let the sun in:

The light makes all things certain,

Its warmth on my skin.

Crisp air echoes sound,

Colours swirling all around -

Leaves cover the ground.

Shining, sparkling snow -

I regret the tracks that show

Everywhere I go.

Like a carefree fling,

Fresh new buds and thaw do bring

Love to everything.

(Freeze and thaw, you see,

Cycles to eternity -

Sun returns to me.)

Mmm, like small jewels these are ... and that comment about spring, it's really not spring here yet. Was really amused about an outdoor advertisement that says "When winter turns to spring!", advertising waterproof shoes - in -22 C temperature. If that's spring, I'd hate to see what a real winter is like. ;)

Will see if I can add one or two myself, later. ^_^

Two of them here...feel free to let me know if I managed to screw up what it means to be a Haiku! :)

Watery thunder

Sending foamy sea skyward

Waves dance on the rocks

---

Nature's crystal ball

A dew drop shimmers brightly

Sunny prophecy

And yea, this isn't actually an entry--it's just a dorky computer graphics themed one that I ended up with while writing the others ;P

Sun pops into view

Fragment shader adding bloom

High dynamic range

Edited by Azuran