The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Brain Teasers

Sweetcherrie

I will start with a teaser, and the person who guesses it will post a new teaser or pass it on to someone else :) (pointed out to me by a neighbour, looked like a fun game ^_^)

Question

There are 8 sisters in the family and each of them has a bother? How many brothers are there in total?

Ooh! Ooh! One!

The man who made it didn't need it.

The man who bought it didn't use it.

The man who used it didn't want it.

What is it?

PS. This will be interesting, when someone posts a wrong answer with a new question and it isn't found out until days later...

PPS. Is this too hard? I'm not sure if I know any easier ones that aren't totally obvious.

Edited by Katzaniel

VOLCANO!!!!!!!!!!!

You can have me but cannot hold me;

Gain me and quickly lose me.

If treated with care I can be great,

And if betrayed I will break.

What am I?

*backs slowly out of the room* sorry i should give others a chance i just love riddles :)

Edited by Beautiful Nightmare

Trust?

Love?

Please don't kill me! Arg!

As I was going to St. Ives,

I met a man with seven wives;

Each wife had seven sacks,

Each sack had seven cats,

Each cat had seven kits.

Kits, cats, sacks, wives,

How many were going to St. Ives?

Wyvern scratches his scaly chin, then proceeds to lay out a large map of St. Ives across the Cabaret Room floor. The overgrown lizard then pulls out several tiny token figurines of women and cats, which he positions over the span of the board in careful geometric measurements.

"Well," murmers Wyvern, whipping out a large accounting calculator and several triangular rulers. "One would firssst need to account for the various possibilities of travel direction, of course. Let's say that X is North, Y is West, Z is East, and Zool is South. They wouldn't travel South in fear of severe burnings, thereby leaving the option X(Y+Z) the most plausible. That equates to something along the lines of "sideways up and down."

Spectators in the Cabaret Room watch with blank expressions as Wyvern squiggles lines up and down over the map. They sigh and shake their heads when the reptilian Elder decides to get artistic with his lines and draw little pompom stars at the end of each of the lines, along with two googly eyes and a jagged snout. The lizard tags his doodle "Oktopus - by WiivEe" and flashes a smile of childish accomplishment to the crowds, only to realize the derailment of his project and go back into "serious mathematician" mode.

"Err, anyway, one would also need to account for the potential casualties, such as pitfalls, deep rivers (Oregan Trail, anyone?), Almost Dragonic Brand Kitten Experimentation Outlets™, and Volcanos leftover from previous riddlesss."

The crowds raise their brows as Wyvern begins typing things on his calculator with reckless abandon.

"Of course, add to that the common frequency of traffic in the direction of St. Ives, minus the number of traffic accidents, added to the total sum of foreign immigrants multiplied by the rise of immigration, and you come out with-"

The calculator begins to spark and malfunction as Wyvern's claws slam against it harder and harder, sending accounting paper flying to the ceiling. The overgrown lizard pounces and snatches the rocketing paper, letting out a triumphant cry and announcing his result:

"12,345,843! and 1 kitten."

Wyvern collapses to the ground, rolling over the smoldering ashes that remain of the expensive Pen funding calculator. He then folds the result paper and tucks it behind his left horn before grinning and raising a claw.

"As for my brain teasssser, I have something rather special for you all." Wyvern grins and moves past the map to a table in the corner of the room. He picks up a large platter that rests there, and brushes the purple cloth that covers it with a claw. "What's packed and white and dead all over?"

The spectators cast concerned glances to one another, until Wyvern unveals the tray... at which point they stand aghast in bewilderment.

"Almost Dragonic Brand Kitten Brain Crumpet Snack™, and I've got teaser samples!" Wyvern offers Lord Panther a white blob on a toothpick, only to watch him turn away revolted. "What'sss wrong? They're fresh from the road to St. Ives!"

;-)

One.

...what? A brain teaser? Oh. Uhm... I'm thinking of a number. Here's a hint:

The deadliest of all single-digit numbers

is a jolly good fellow

he's kind to mice that can't see.

Evening darkness creeps on his face

Like the last pool ball

Wearing good shoes.

Edited by The Big Pointy One

See, the thing about that one is that the man and his followers *could* have been going to St. Ives, couldn't they? In which case it would be 1 (Canid) + 1 (man) + 7 (wives) + 7^3 (cats) + 7^4 (kits) = 2753. I wouldn't count the sacks, myself.

On the other hand, the question is excruciatingly vague because it doesn't mention anything about whether other travellers were met, going which direction, and never *mind* mentioning other roads, or the range of dates to be included.

*grin*

is a jolly good fellow

Like the last pool ball

Wearing good shoes.

I'm a little lost on this one, but I'm going to guess 7 because it's not only sharp and pointy but 7 ate 9! Haha! Yeah, and I'm not going to include my own riddle, because both of the answers I just supplied are wrong, or at least I don't know *why* 7 is right, if it is.

is a jolly good fellow

Like the last pool ball

Wearing good shoes.

7 (7 ate 9)

4 (for he's a jolly good fellllow...)

3 (blind mice)

?

8 (the black 8 ball)

9 (dressed to the nines)

That middle one doesn't ring a bell, I'm afraid...

Taking a second,

~Yui

Heh, good job Yui ^.^

...that one is the toughest. It's a bit more obscure. Hint: it's a number, referring to the evening, when 'darkness' is on his *face*.

As for the last one, it was actually supposed to be 2, like in 'goody two shoes', but your answer is better ;p

Edited by The Big Pointy One

Read each line aloud without making any mistakes. If you make a mistake you MUST start again without going any further.

This is this puzzle

This is is puzzle

This is how puzzle

This is to puzzle

This is keep puzzle

This is an puzzle

This is idiot puzzle

This is busy puzzle

This is for puzzle

This is forty puzzle

This is seconds! puzzle

Ran accross this one online and thought it was funny..... not really a brain teaser but still nice ;)

some

spoiler

space

Now, go back and read the third word from each line from the top :P

Well, it should probably be Yui's turn to post the next, but since she doesn't seem to be taking it...

I'm guessing 6 because it hasn't been used yet and it's a better evening time than 5. Mm, could also refer to clock face though I'm not sure how exactly that works in. Anyway, so that y'all have something else to consider:

Angry and hungry are two words that end in '-gry'. There are three words in the English language. What is the third word?

PS. You may have heard that one before, as I had, but the way people often tell it, it has no answer. This version has an answer.

• 3 weeks later...