The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Mighty Pen Quiz

Patrick

How the QQ shall happen:

When signing up I ask everyone to give a topic, this topic shall be one of the topics from which questions can be asked during the quiz. (I shall also be adding some topics) You can add a topic without needing to participate in the quiz.

There shall be three stages as described below:

Stage 1: Free rp, backstage before the start of the Quiz Show, during which Fred and Heather shall be interviewing the contestants one by one, to introduce them to the spectators. Even non-contestants would be able to rp here. The interview is not obligatory for Stages 2 and 3, as the host and organiser might not have enough time to interview everyone before the start of the show (read: if you don’t want to do the interview but want to participate in the quiz, go ahead).

Stage 2: This is the stage, which would require the participants to be the most active. In this stage some (preferably 8 or 12 (16 if a lot of interest in it)) contestants would battle it out for the title of winner. This shall happen in the following way:

There shall be several rounds (depending on the number of participants) and in each round people shall be paired up against each other one vs. one. At the start of each one vs. one quiz both of the participants chooses one of the proposed topics, questions during their match shall mostly come from these two topics (4 questions from the first topic, 4 from the second and 2 from other topics, determined by me). Topics can be non-conventional ones also, I just ask that they not be too specific, so that I can find a fair amount of questions to ask on them. :)

Now, in order for the competition to be fair, I shall pm the list of the questions to both of the participants and shall wait for them both to send their replies. This reminds me of another thing. I would very much like that google and other search engines not be used to find the answers, because it ruins the whole idea behind the quiz. Of course, I can’t check that people don’t use them, but I ask you not to. Once I have the replies of both participants, their quiz shall be played out in a co-written post by me, and the two of them (if due to different time zones this isn’t possible then it might be broken into several posts). After the match is finished a winner is announced, who then goes on to the next round. This all continues, until there is only one left standing, who is announced the winner.

The winner shall get an item, along with a possible monetary prize (geld), which is being negotiated at the moment.

The item the winner gets:

Cryptic Musings

Cryptic Musings is a rather tattered looking book written several centuries ago, by someone who's name was never recorded. Cryptic Musings isn't the real title of the book, as to what that might have been no one has a clue as the title page is missing. It might look old and worthless, but for one who knows how to use it the book can give valuable advice.

The only text in the book is "Write and then think about the answer." written in a scrawling writing on the first page. A small note accompanies the book, explaining how it works.

Write a question inside the book with any ink, the pages shall absorb the ink. An answer shall appear on the pages, and fade soon afterwards. Depending on the hardness of the question the answer is easier to understand or harder. For very complex questions deciphering the answer can take years.

Stage 3: Team Competition!

Those who wish to participate in this stage can sign up independently from Stage 2. For this stage the participants shall be divided into two groups for a team quiz. This isn’t intended as a serious competition, more like a fun competition, and the questions shall also reflect this. I shall post all of the questions at the beginning directly in the quiz thread. The teams shall have to divide amongst themselves, who replies to which question, after which that person is free to make his/her reply whenever he/she wants to. (there shall be as many questions as team-members). Whoever gives the more funny/witty/humorous reply nets his team 1 point. In the end the team with more points is declared the winner.

Brief descriptions for the two characters I shall be using for the QQ:

Fred Jickson

Fred Jickson is 42 years old, and has a bald patch at the front of his head, which he usually combs his hair over to hide. He is a short man, and has started lately to gain some weight. Although his physical appearance does not show it, he is one of the best show organisers, albeit he has a few quirks of his own, like his like of colorful things. But he always gets the job done.

Heather Monsley

A 26 year old student, who is majoring in art, she has many hobbies. She likes to dance, has a small talen for singing and likes to take part in beauty competitions. Last year she took part in the Miss and Mister Student competition, one part of which she won, partly due to her physique and partly due to her charming smile. She has shoulderlength brown hair, which she lets flow freely. Her brown eyes match the color of her hair nearly perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

Venefyxatu shimmers into view, looking very distracted, as if his mind is completely focussed on other things.

Sorry for being so late - I've been ... occupied. I'd love to take part in this. As for a topic ... Horoscopes.

With something resembling a slight grin, he adds,

"Fill this in however you like."

Then the necromancer shimmers out of view again.

Edit : to an approved topic ;)

Edited by Venefyxatu

So, so far we have:

Sweetcherrie - Dana - Dreaming - Stages 1, 2, 3

Appy - character to be determined - Current Age - Stages 1, 2, 3

Katzaniel - character to be determined - Computers/Technology or Words ending in X - At least Stage 2

Venefyxatu - Venefyxatu - Horoscopes - Stages 1, 2, 3

Gwaihir - Gwaihir - Plants - Stages 1 and 2

That is 5 participants so far. For easy organisation of the Stage 2 tournament 8 would seem to be an ideal number to go for, but I can work with a minimum of 6 participants. I have someone who has agreed to take part if I can't find enough participants, so I can attain the 6, would be great to get to 8 though. :)

Edited by Patrick Durham

Okay, by "Current Age", Appy, did you mean like current technology and/or current events and/or ... what? Because I am so tempted to say computers but I think that's partially covered in Current Age.

I could be mean and say Canada. Hehe.

How about this, if computers/technology is overlapped with Current Age I'll contribute "Words ending in X" (I'm picturing giving the definition and having to come up with the word, but play it how you wish.)

Wyvern hop-skip-jumps in circles around Patrick's sign-up stand as Gwaihir carefully pens his initials on the colorful sheet. The reptilian Elder's tail twitches in anticipation as Gwai moves away from the booth, and Wyv grabs an owl feather quill as a number of news reporters start circling the area. The lizard poses in front of the sign up sheet as the paparazzi cue up their blinding flashes, flexing a scaly arm in an embarassing display of scales and no muscle. He then places a pair of Almost Dragonic Brand Plaid Horn Stockings™ on his head and poses in a pic that wouldn't look out of place in the National Geographics "Endangered Species" section.

"As you can ssssssee, I am now etching my initials onto the sign up sheet."

Wyvern scrawls a large 'W' and poses, only to realize that he's accidentally written the letter on a posterboard for the quiz show. He cringes as he watches the dark ink trickle down the board, and promptly signs his name in the appropriate place, almost blotting out the other names written there in the process. The lizard lets out a nervous laugh and rubs the back of his scaly head with a claw.

"Mr. Wyvern." A reporter levels a microphone connected to a long pole in front of Wyvern's face. The mic clashes against Wyvern's snout with a loud screech of feedback. "You've mentioned that your participation in this quiz will be a shameless publicity stunt to make up for your disasterous performance in the earlier beauty pageant. How far do you plan to go in this gameshow?"

"Partsss one to three, and I'll beat the top of the competition. After all, I'm choosing 'Famous Pennites' as my topic..."

;-)

Updated list:

Sweetcherrie - Dana - Dreaming - Stages 1, 2, 3

Appy - Eda - Current Age - Stages 1, 2, 3

Katzaniel - Jhenrau Tyier - Computers/Technology - At least Stage 2

Venefyxatu - The Madame - Horoscopes - Stages 1, 2, 3

Gwaihir - Gwaihir - Plants - Stages 1 and 2

Wyvern - Wyvern - Famous Pennites - Stages 1, 2, 3

Edited by Patrick Durham

• 2 weeks later...

I posted the two interviews closely together, because both had been already written and the supposition when we co-wrote the interview with Gwaihir was that not too much happened between Gwaihir's interview and Dana's, because then several things might have needed to be changed in the post.

"Character to be determined", by the way, can now be replaced with "Jhenrau Tyier". I have posted a bit about him in the Piazza but the gist of it is that he was a Captain of a spaceship (in a sci-fi setting :P) but couldn't handle power well; demoted to janitor but *still* screwed it up, then ousted off the ships altogether. Then he managed to find a portal to the Pen. (That seems to always be the way of it with my characters, but really, how else am I supposed to get him here?)

I *might* post his arrival during the interviews, but he won't be interviewing even if he arrives. I probably won't, since that would require being caught up in the reading, which I'm not. Anyway, I intend to catch up for Phase II.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So...Stage 2 has been started. :)

Ever since Aardvark's remarks in #thepen that a QQ should be written alone I've been wondering how to do this stage. I have come up with two possibilities, and would like to ask the participants, and especially Gwaihir, which of the two I should go with.

1. I pm the players with the questions, they send the answers back, and then me and the two players co-write their quiz with all the timezone problems it brings.

or

2. I pm the players with the questions, they send the answers back, and then I write out the quiz as it happens, then before posting ask the two contestants whether their characters have been misplayed, possibly make changes and then post it.

Edit: Gwaihir has told me that there is no official rule on whether a QQ has to be done completely alone or not and as long as I do the work there won't be criticism for having help, so the question modifies itself to which version people would prefer, possibly even being different for each "match".

Edit to edit: The other two first round matchups, which shall take place will be Sweetcherrie vs. Gwaihir, and Venefyxatu vs. Appy.

Edited by Patrick Durham

Mysterious woman has become Eda in my post as Appy had requested. And I'm still waiting on which of the two methods of Stage 2 you would prefer: co-written between 3 people, or me writing the whole thing, then asking whether there are character inconsistencies before posting. Or should I decide which way to go myself?

Edited by Patrick Durham

I would write up most of it yourself and then simply check with the people for char inconsistencies. That way you will also have the great feeling of pride of having done most of this project by yourself.

Not sure if that sounds scatterbrained, but if so, I went out and slept like...well not enough last night :P

After some thinking, receiving some advice, and then some more thinking I have decided to write the actual quiz posts all by myself then send them to those, whose characters are being used, to avoid characters being misplayed. :)

Free roleplay between those not taking part in the current match is welcome of course.

Edited by Patrick Durham

I feel that some clarification is indeed needed, so here goes.

When it comes to someone's quiz, the two people facing each other in the quiz choose a topic and PM me with it. I then make 4 questions for each of the two topics and add two more questions, from two other topics, making a total of ten. Then I shall PM back these ten questions to the two people and both of them shall send me their answers, answering the questions to the best of their knowledge. I shall then write the post of the quiz between the two of them and post it. If any serious misplayings of a character happen I shall of course, upon request, go back and edit.

Currently Wyv and Katz have sent me their topics and I really should send them their ten questions, so I shall do so quite soon. B)