The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Life Question # 17

Salinye

Well, it's been quite a while since I've done any life questions, but seeing as people seem to enjoy them the recent Holiday and a discussion with some friends brought a good one to my mind. So, here goes...

Patriotism. Does it bring about more good than bad, or visa versa? Many people believe patriotism is a wonderful thing for a person or country to have. Other people believe that patriotism breeds bigotism (is that a word?) unneeded competition and pride.

What is patriotism to you? In your experience/opinion do you think it has more of a positive or negative effect on you, your country or the world as a whole? Finally, do you consider yourself a patriotic person?

WARNING: These life questions have always allowed us to delve into interesting places in our thoughts and beliefs without argument or debate. In answering this I respectfully request that you do NOT incorporate current political views into your answer. This is not a thread for debate on current world events. These life questions give us windows into you and we all enjoy the sneak peeks! Thanks in advance!

~Salinye :fairy:

Patriotism, an interesting beast it can be. Personally, I don't think there isn't anything wrong with being labeled a patriot, as it means that you love your country and its people.

Patriotism doesn't mean that everything you own is plastered with the flag, nor does it mean that you will die for your country, just that you have love for it. I believe that is is a very fine, and sometimes smudged, line between patriotism and fanaticism. People who do very rash things in the name of their country are no longer patriots, but fanatics (my opinion).

I am assuming that the holiday that you speak of is the American Independance day (July 4th), however, patriots were also standing proud this weekend a little further north, as Canada celebrated its birthday (138) on July 1st.

I've always been a big fan of the saying "Love your country, fear your government." For me, patriotism comes in many shapes and sizes, and like many other beliefs, as long as its not taken too far, it's a healthy thing.

Nothing wrong with being a patriot in my view... Patriotism is good so long as it is tempered with clear rational thought, and a decent grasp of history. Otherwise, you start delving blinding into that dangerous powder keg which only fanantical Nationalism can bring about...

rev...

Hmm. I'm just wandering through, thought I would drop my thoughts in.

Patriotism, as it has been said before, is the love of your country, its people, its culture. I believe that most of us here can agree on that, at least.

What I don't agree on is how people look at the word love in this context. Love is simply choosing what is best for the subject of your love and acting upon it. If you truly love something, you have to show it, or your love is wasted, and all you have is heartache.

I heard this somewhere: "A martyr is someone that dies fighting for what they believe in. A hero is someone who is willing to die for what they believe in, but they would much rather live for it." We need more heroes--not just in America, but in the world. People who are self-sacrificing enough that they would give their lives, but intelligent and passionate enough to realize that they can do much more good if they continue to live and fight for their cause.

Am I a patriot? I try to be. One thing I don't necessarily like is labeling msyelf and others. I have love for my country, and I do what I believe I am called upon to provide, plus a little extra. If that makes me a patriot by definition, so be it. If not, I'm just a guy that loves America.

Good question.

Agreed with everything everyone here has said (like Gryphon I've never thought much about loving my country...it suits me, but...)

Also wanted to add that if you love a thing enough then you love it enough to criticize, heal, fix or perhaps even fight it.

Patriotism. I must agree (at least in part) with C. S. Lewis:

It should (almost) always conquer individualism. It should (almost) always be humbled and disappear in the face of worldly - no matter the country - love.

Example: I should look out for number one: me. But, if I can, instead, have it in me to look out and love the whole of my country, even at times at my own expense, then I should. But if I can, instead, have it in me to look out and love the whole of my world, even at times at the expense of my country, then I should.

To answer the rest: I think it can be positive, but is far often much more negative than positive, because the latter half of the equation is missed. People often turn to patriotism as a noble and wonderful thing, only to forget that they're still playing "teams" - just on a much bigger scale. That doesn't do a lot of help.

As a result, no, I can't say that I'm too big a patriot. I look too much to things yet to be accomplished.

- Justin

PS - MMmm, the recent ruminations on love also turn my mind. Would love to chat/discuss/debate in a more relevent location if interested (PM maybe?), as my thoughts don't nessesarily agree.

Edited by Justin Silverblade

No PM's!!!

It will make a good life question # 18. *grins*

**edited to clarify**

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from opening up a seperate discussion thread on love!! It doesn't have to be used for a life question, my only point was that if something like that is going to be discussed/debated, I'd rather see it on the boards so I can read it rather than having such a great exchange hidden in pm's. :0)

~Salinye :fairy:

Edited by Salinye

• 1 month later...

Patriotism..

It is one of those things, like Cough Medicine, that taken in Small Doses is good, but too much and it can be bad.

There is nothing wrong with having some Patriotism, but when it gets to the extremist point of view, then thats when one should start to question themselves. And example, Suicide bombers. That in itself I dont find as Patriotism no more, that is wrong in my eyes..

Tass from Japan

Oh my patriotism, to love, support and sacrifice for ones country.

Well it's a given most of us love where we live or we would move. Most of us also pay something called taxes to support the governing body that is (at least in theory) supposed to be looking out for the well being of it's citizens. I pay taxes and continue to live in my country so I am a patriot in the sense that webster defines the word. Where love of country gets you into trouble is when you cease to think for yourself and begin to believe that there is only one vision for your country. It can become a problem when you start to believe without question that the people currently running your country truely know what is best for it's citizens. I will make sarcifices when the cause is right, but I retain the right to decide for myself what that might be and what I will do at that time.

I am not sure if being a patriot is a good thing. I wish I could replace with a title like "citizen of the world" where the well being of all the people of this world was the focus.

So long as we only consider what is good for just one country's citizens there will be strife in this world of ours. We need to see a bigger kind of love, support and sacrifice towards all the world's people, and not just our own.

Edited by Regel