The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

I present to you...

Vlad

Do you like the new or old FAQ  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vlad walks in to the Cabaret Room, and immediately plops himself on a stool. Ordering a drink, he strikes up a conversation with the bartender.

"This dust? All over me? Oh, I've been doing some remodeling."

*Takes a swig*

"Tore down the old one just this morning, got a good crew working on it."

*Takes another swig*

"Say, can you fill this up again?"

*Hands his mug to the bartender*

"Yep, the FAQ's gotten an overhaul."

*Takes back his mug*

"Tell me what you think after your shift gets done."

*Falls over, and drifts off to sleep*

OOC: So the FAQs are redone. Some of you may have seen it during construction when it wasn't much of anything, but now I think I'm relatively done.

What I want to know is if you folks like this is better, worse or about the same as it was before.

Also let me know if I missed any questions that you think should be added.

It's really really nice, Vlad - thanks for taking the time to do this :).

As a small note... in both the Table of Contents, and the post title, you might want to correct the typo on plagiarism (it's correct in the text per se).

~Tanny

*giggles, shaking her head*

Maybe I've been working too much and seeing things that aren't there... or, more appropriately, not seeing things that are there.. :rolleyes:

A question, Vlad... (forgot to mention last post)... are the Guilds going to have their own FAQ? (I think I read about that somewhere.) I think that maybe their existence could be mentioned... mainly because, specially during the Carnival activities, we hear about guild-sponsored events.

A cent more :)

~Tanny

Naw, you're right. There was a typo and I fixed it. Apparently I'm not so good at this "humor" thing people are always talking about. :P

But back to business, adding stuff to the FAQ is pretty easy. I'd write up entries myself, but I don't know nearly enough about the guilds and how they function.

So Guild Leaders, this is a mission for you: Write up some FAQ stuff for the guilds and PM it to me.

You have thirty-five minutes starting... ... ... NOW!

OOC: Yea, just send me [or Gwai] more questions and one of us'll add them in.

Very nice, Vlad, I like the layout a lot!

The questions and answers are neat and concise, though if you want to spend some time digging into the HTML of the page, (boo!) There should be a way so clicking on the links in the post moves the window's focus down to the right question. If you want, I can dig up the HTML code to do that.

Gyr - I'm not quite sure if HTML is allowed in that forum, so I just stuck with BBcode.

If someone can confirm or deny the use of HTML, I'd appreciate it.

*thinks...*

Yea, real HTML would make everything a lot easier.

Good question, I think it can be enabled or disabled, but sometimes the boards don't like some HTML expressions and tags.

Hm... the FAQ forum is currently set not to allow HTML, but it can be enabled and you use the [ doHTML ] (minus spaces) tag to work with HTML in a post.

Vlad - it'd help if I turned on HTML for that forum, first. *grins*

Update:

Alright, after a bit of troubleshooting, HTML will work in the FAQs forum. You don't need to go whole-hog, simply surround the links with [ dohtml ] and [ /dohtml ] (minus the spaces, of course.)

Unfortuantly... any post from before I turned HTML on won't use HTML, from everything I can tell. I tried everything I could think of to force them to change over, but I couldn't get it to work. >_

Maybe it's just me, but why do you need HTML to do that? Just do what I presume Yui did... link to the "entry" number since each question is in it's own post. You can find the entry # in a number of ways, discussed in ... erg, some thread that I simply cannot find to link to.

As for a guild post... I will whether I or another guildleader can getcha something on that. I think there are already comments that come very close to what we want, I'll have to go looking, but later.

Lastly, I think that calling the questions about the portal "Portal" might not be a good idea, because no one new would know what that meant until they had read it.

Maybe it's just me, but why do you need HTML to do that?  Just do what I presume Yui did... link to the "entry" number since each question is in it's own post.  You can find the entry # in a number of ways, discussed in ... erg, some thread that I simply cannot find to link to.

The discussion on how to link to each individual post is...

here.

The easiest way, if you use the Blue skin, is to click on the "Posted on" link at the top of each post.

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan

Maybe it's just me, but why do you need HTML to do that?

There should be a way so clicking on the links in the post moves the window's focus down to the right question.

To shift focus instead of reloading the page, I need to use anchor tags.

Currently, I *do* link to each post, but it has to reload everything. With HTML, I can make it just scroll down. Saves processor cycles, bandwidth and culminates in a bunch of Intellectual Masturbation. [Am I allowed to say that in here? If not, would someone please edit it out?]

Update: Scrapping the HTML plan. I think I've got everything how I want it.

The way I did it does create problems for updating the FAQ, and remaining cohesive/pretty, but I'll cross those bridges when they approach. Or, I'll pass this off to someone, and that poor soul can deal with it.

But I've got it under control now, I think.

Oh, and Katz - my apologies if I came off too harshly in my previous post. I just reread that, and it felt slightly... mean.

*Prances off to tackle other projects*