The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Pen Invitational Poker OOC thread

Here is where you can talk about the game outside of the Poker Tourney. Unfortunately, Deg just informed me that he won't be able to play. I will deal with that in the game. Also, any comments on the game and it's set-up or questions, post them here or PM me. Thanks.

Yan Yan

Have you got crying-in-your-beer country music or rock-hybrid country music playing? Would you welcome a cocktail waitress with some experience serving more alcohol to the terminally drunk, and certified for proper handling of Ol' Peculiar?

What kind of behaviour gets one banned from an old western poker tornament? From TV I was under the impression that anything upto and including shooting anyone who you lost to (if you accused them of cheating first) was acceptable. ;)

Oh, and it might've been posted elsewhere, but can we have a link to the rules of the game here somewhere? Please?

Edit:

Ok, my bad- I should've read the main thread before posting here.

Hopefully with the practice round I'll be able to make some sence of the rules... I think I've almost got them.

Edited by Gryphon

Okay, I don't quite get the mechanics of the, whatever they're called, bets?

We all PM you our bets immediately? What if it depends on other people's bets? I mean, if three people raise it, and you're not doing so well, you'd probably want to fold, but then you might want to hold another round if it isn't raised at all.

Also, you said the "blind" (is that basically the dealer?) can raise if it hasn't been raised yet... does that mean it can only be raised once?

If anyone raises the bet, It will be posted. You can also give multiple options say "I want to call, but if anyone raises, I'll re-raise" That would help keep things going s little quickly.

Yan Yan.

*BTW: Aside from a slight kink here and there that is getting ironed out, how does everyone like the consept?

Edited by YanYanGanaffi

I haven't managed to post in the thread yet as I've been busy with paperwork this week, but I caught up in reading it this evening and wanted to note that I'm enjoying the approach so far. :) I should be able to post in it around Thursday... I take it that Sweet and I are the first ones up for a round of Texas Hold'em given the line-up?

A question concerning bids: is there any specific amount that characters are given as a starting bid, or should we just make up our available spendings?

Looking forward to writing in this story with you guys. :-) To echo Mynx: yee to the haw,

Wyv~

- who will try to stay unbanned for as long as possible, but no promises... ;-p

Sorry Gryphon! From now on I'll be sure to get it right.

Also, Parmenion I believe it was who called me Katz: No biggie, but Katz is a different character who's off on a mission for the guild at the moment, so I'm playing as Inbi. There's nothing really important to know about her, she's a human, very average really, except that she has ice and fire magic.

Just so's y'all know. :P

'ey youse. Dealer. Da Boss di'n't signs up - *I* did. Sorry 'bout da delay, but Da Boss 'as been runnin' me ragged.

(Guido is in the game. When his clothes changed from his black zoot suit and fedora, they would've changed to black suit pants, white lace shirt with garters, a peacock green vest with watch and silver chain with fob. and a derby bowlder hat. Like a traditional Riverboat Gambler.

Sorry about the 24+ hour delay in getting back to you, Real Life snatched me.)

Since it'd be useful for people in the game to know, here is the super-short version of my Umbra character - since I've been too slack to post a full one in the Piazza as yet:

Umbra is a fledgling shadowlord - in their natural form and place they are essentially no more than the stuff of shadow, animated and controlled. His appearance in and around themightpen is usually in the form of a shadow with glowing eyes, colour dependant on what mood he's in. Good and evil are extremely flexible though he tends to lean to the side of good... usually.

For the purposes of the game Umbra is existing in his mostly humanoid form which he was bonded to when he first came into this world. Sometimes he appears to be a human obscured by shadows, other times he appears to be mostly human. His eyes will always seem to glow slightly.

It might be relevant to know that shadowlords tend to have some fairly hefty magical abilities that grow with time as the individual grows in experience. Umbra's skill level is currently undefined, at least in comparison to some of the other beings who hang around themightypen. :)

I hope this helps those who need to mention him in their posts in the game. I will eventually post more in the Piazza.

Hope this helps if you need

Okay, so what's "check" and "bet"? That's what happens after someone's raised? (ie, Is check the same as call and bet the same as raise?)

At the end of a round, there are 5 cards on the table and 2 in your hand, and you pick *any* 5 of those to form your hand?

What I didn't realize is that the flop is common to everyone. Is there any way to trade cards, then? Or is that basically what's going on with the extra cards on the table?

Okay, to call means to match the current bet. If you already have the amount of the current bet *such as if you are the blind or at the start of the Flop betting round, you don't feel like betting, but don't want to fold, you can check. Simply put, if the turn falls on you, and you don't have to bet to stay in, you can check.

You can use any 5 cards on the table and/or in your hand to build your hand from.

The only way to trade cards is to cheat. If you get caught cheating, you are disqualified.

Well, this is where the game ends and my actual Quill Quest begins. Thanks for participating, but as the Elders said, I have to do the majority of the writing, which was my intent all along. Hope you guys enjoy the story....

Rev. J. K. Beasley

Edited by YanYanGanaffi