The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Pennite Dictonary of Words and Terms

*Yan Yan places a huge leather bound book onto a black oak podium. Next to the book is a quill and bottle of ink. With that done, he hangs a sign saying;

Hear ye, Hear ye!

In an effort to expand our Pennite culture, I have come up with the Pennite Dictonary of Words and Terms. Please feel free to add unusual or unique words or terms you use or have heard. Enteries can't be words used common English.

For Example: Booble- To confuse others via the use of mammary glands.

Please submit words and terms in this thread. After a period of time (a month or two from now, the book will be closed and will become an item that will go to the person with the most words.

Looks baffled

Those are in use by Pennites? I think I need this dictionary then...

Offers up one.

Peredhilish Torture - noun: The result of healing or de-stressing.

"Gah this week's been HELL. I'm checking into the Polite Dungeon for a weekend of Peredhilish Torture!"

confuzzled- verb- to be BOTH confused and puzzled at the same time, hense making the level of confusion higher than being just confused or just puzzled.

"Zariah looked quite confuzzled when she was surprised with a bouquet of flowers."

(OOC: I used this word FOREVER ago before it became a popular 'urban' slang term)

Foop - n. The small amount of soda (or beer) that sits by the rim of a can after a sip. Usage: "He always sucks the foop off his can because he's obsessive compulsive."

~O~

Modabout - conj. "Modivated about." Usage: "What are you modabout?"

~O~

Belignorant - adj. To be stubbornly and aggressively foolish. "The father of one of my students is the most belignorant person I've ever met; he doesn't believe in 'book learning.'"

Questions for YanYan:

What were the stories behind those "code flowers" I see popping up here and there?

How did Wiggly Cabbages and purple fuzzies originate?

Why is it "Belignorant" instead of just ignorant?

Who first used "confuzzled" on Pen territory? (Bit of a trick question, there. I think it came here via the Shoutbox, but that record only goes back a certain number of lines.)

How did Wiggly Cabbages and purple fuzzies originate?

Why is it "Belignorant" instead of just ignorant?

I have vague memories of wiggly cabbages from several years ago, but someone will have to refresh my memory.

~O~

The difference between ignorant and belignorant is the attitude towards learning; ignorant is a neutral term. Belignorant is anti-learning.

To be Cambronned- To be the object of an embarassing situation caused by said feline.

Example: Wyvern followed Cambronne in the Café's kitchen, only to get smack by its staff as they mistook the almost dragon for a thief. Wyvern had been Cambronned.

To be Carboned- See To be Cambronned

Hugtackle - boisterous, exuberant, affectionate and energetic emotive greeting, usually with a running head start (See Flying Hugtackle).

Carp - Smelly slippery instrument of choice by Mods against unruly posters. A holdover from the ancient AMUBB, first seen by this poster from Tzimfemme and Gyrfalcon. Also a sometimes Familiar of Tzimfemme.

Edited by The Portrait of Zool

Rydia. The Anti-Spam Carp belonged to Rydia and hasn't seen serious use since early 2001, or whenever she donned it as a pseudo-Killer Necktie as part of her masquerade costume. The cloisonne trinket is presumed to be somewhere on her shelf of shinies.

God-seed: The offspring of a God/Goddess and a mortal through a complex ritual

Shatter-bolt: A four pronged crossbow bolt made of slate with tips dipped in lead or silver for stability. The bolt seperates into four jagged shards on contact with a lightly armored target.

Sharpein: A member of a race of 'caniods' from Chasric 7. These dog-like beings can move on all four legs when running, or two any other time. Highly advanced with technology, they have set up an airbase outside the Pen. The average Sharpein is a little over 2 ft tall and about 500lbs due to very dense muscle structure developed by the high gravity of their home world.

"As much fun as juggling chainsaws": Means that the activity in reference isn't exactly fun.

Warding/sigiling: Using magical writing protect an area or object.

Universal Energy Flow: This is a magical theory which states that all energy; both physical and spiritual, are linked in one form or another. If one is in tune with the Univeral Energy Flow, they can sense events that would case 'ripples' in time and space. It is theorized that this is how pre-cognents and post-cognents are able to see the future/past; by 'reading' the ripples on a subconcious level.

Vortexes/Nodes: Geological points that are connected by lay lines/vortex channels. A vortex/node is a large concentration of positive (nodes) or negative (votrexes) energy. Some that are 'gifted' with the use of either can perform feats of magic when near one.

Node Stone: After a node has been collecting energy for a long amount of time, a physical form is created by the formation of a crystal, or node stone. A large node stone is said to have been placed into Aaron's staff before it was placed into the Ark of the Covenant. This later became known to mages as the 'Wandering Node'.

The Dumbness: the 'Dumbness' is a spiritual being much like Death, save for it's primary function. The Dumbness will inact circumstances that are hard to pervent, but will completely spoil your plans. You will forget little details normally paid attention to, lose your car keys at the last possible second when you need them; finding them were you looked fifteen times before, or think one thing and say another durning a conversation, making yourself look really foolish. The Dumbness will not leave until it feels that it has cause enough chaos in your life and moves on to it's next victim.