The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Prom Night!

Mynx

Meredith nods agreement to Ricky's words. That seems like something Bobby would do. They were never a particularly bright crowd. The conversation progresses for a few minutes before Meredith makes an excuse and leaves. If she had an inch less self-control, one of her observant peers might have been able to tell she was in a huff over being a third wheel. But, as it was, they couldn't.

The girls' bathroom is the perfect refuge for Meredith to reapply her makeup and fix her hair as she thinks about where to go next. There wasn't much on her agenda; just finding a date for the prom. Meredtih's hands still as she thinks back to what Ricky said. He said it was Bobby's fault...everyone seems to think it wasn't an accident. Someone killed M.B. Brown.

The locks click as Meredith turns the key. She doesn't start up the car though. Pulling out her cellphone she dials Bobby Jones' number. It's the perfect way to kill two birds with one stone. She can interrogate Bobby about Brown and find out who he's going to prom with. If Bobby's innocent, potential suspects are waiting in the wings. There's no way a killer is ruining her prom.

"Hey Bobby. It's Meredith. I was calling because, well, M.B.'s death was so tragic, and I was wondering if you knew anything about it."

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as he could after hearing the announcement, Duke burned rubber to get home. With a perfect slide he parked his car right before that of a customer his father was talking to, got out of the car and went to his desk where he threw himself into the chair to think. For some reason that was always easier amidst the parts lying around.

Brown ... killed in an accident. It couldn't have been suicide, he wouldn't have used his car then. That thing had some sweet mods, too ... pity. An accident? Brown? He was a bastard, true, but he could drive. And he was smarter than to drive while drunk ... so it must've been something more sinister .... but who? Someone jealous of his car?

OOC : Accusing Pete Reds / Knight. If Brown was planning on putting NOS in his car, it would've put the pressure on Pete ...

"Hey Meredith..."

Pete watches with an amused expression on his face while Bobby talks to Meredith...

"Yeah, me and Pete were just talking about this so called accident that Brown was in and there is something I can tell you about it... There is no way he was racing while drunk at the wheel."

Meredith loads a heap of sarcasm into her next few words, "Oh yeah right. Like how would you know anyway?"

Bobby misses the sarcasm, beer'll do that to you, and replies.

"Cos the coach would kick him from the team if he ever got done for drinking and driving that's why... and besides he'd never let the team down like this - we got a big game next week and there's no way to replace Brown on the team by then."

Sue overheard Jenny asking for a lift to the mall, and turned to stare in amazement at her complete lack of concern. Everyone else seemed at least a bit puzzled, why wasn't she?

Sue watched Jenny leave, speculating on possibilities in many directions.

OOC: Accusing Jenny/Patrick Durham. Even if she *doesn't* know what caused the "accident" - she's a bitch and so am i, and too many of the guys like her so it's time to cut down the competition a bit. ;):P *giggle*

Ton comes to school in quite a good mood. While watching the most classic film of all time, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, he fell asleep and had a most marvelous dream. In it he was sitting upon a throne of shrubberies, surrounded by short knights. Unfortunately, in the midst of all this, his kingdom was invaded by a large, wooden badger. Though it caused little harm on it's own, it's speech was most impolite. Fortunately, he was able to use his magician's staff to burn the badger to a crisp, thus saving his kingdom, and causing his many short knights to shout "Nu!" appreciatively around him. Then he woke up, and had to rush slightly more than usual to get to school at a decent time.

Upon arriving, he found out some evil news, at least in some ways. Brown's car had been totaled. And nearly topping that, Brown had been killed in the process! Strange events come in twos, he thought.

Throughout the rest of the day, there was little talk of anything except Brown's car's destruction, his death, and the prom. Of course, many of the prom canidates seemed to be trying their best to knock each other out of the running for prom king/queen with their accusations of foul play. Oh well. . .

Continuing through the day, Ton tried to keep a sharper eye out than normal, searching for a decent date to prom. Of course, no date would be preferable to a bad one. . .

(OOC: No accusation this round.)

Ricky sat in his jeep, thinking through the day's events, "so many people just pointing fingers, damn, it was just an accendent, maybe caused by drink and stupidity, but an accident none the less." He watched the other kids leaving school.

"I guess it was a tad stupid to suggest Bobby was involved, after his accident, there were a lot of others that could be equally to blame." Ricky watched as Pete Reds Backed his car our and sped off. "there goes another possible." Ricky backed out and drove home, thoughts drifting between the death of one of his team mates and Jenny, he really liked her, "time to ask if she would go to the prom, times a running out."

:raven:

OOC: Change of vote to Pete Reds/ Knight

Dee watched Ricky and Jenny leave, and decided that she needed some more information, but who to ask?

She glanced over the crowd in the cafeteria, and decided than none of them had known Brown well enough to give her the answers she needed. She looked again and saw that Ashlee was missing. She might have known Brown in a more ‘intimate’ way. Dee dug her cell phone from her schoolbag, and dialled Ashlee’s number.

“Hello?”

“Ashlee, it’s Dee.”

“Dee?” Ashlee sounded confused.

“Yeah, I wondered if you could tell me some more about Brown, I guess you heard?”

OOC: Vote for Pete Reds/Knight, cause apparently it's the cool thing to do ;)

The dissention amidst the students continued, with a growing animosity towards Pete as the day continued into the night.

It soon became clear to everyone (except, oddly, Pete himself) that even if he was not partly responsible for Brown's death, he was certainly not gaining himself any respect among his peers.

The following morning was met with yet another poilce car outside the school. Thinking it to be nothing more than a follow up of Brown's death, it succeeded in obtaining barely a glance from passing students.

Johnny's regular announcements were cancelled it seemed this morning, as with the crackle and screech of one who is unused to using such equipment, Principal Driver's voice boomed once more over the speakers.

"Pete Reds to my office. Now."

Looking confused, but nothing more, Pete got up from his seat and complied with the order.

When he was admitted into the office, Pete found Driver sitting behind his desk talking to a police officer, while another held a large Alsation on a tight leash.

"What's wrong, Principal Driver?" Pete asked, looking nervously from officer to dog to teacher.

"Why don't you tell me, Pete," Driver was not looking impressed.

"We recieved a tip this morning that your locker appeared to be smelling funny. And sure enough, we found a surprisingly interesting array of drugs hidden there once we opened it up."

Pete blinked in shock. "What? I - I never - "

"Save it, Mr Reds." Driver interrupted. "As of now, you have been expelled from this school. And I believe these officers wish to speak with you."

OOC: Pete Reds/Knight was an innocent Villager. Better luck next time. Night phase now begins for the next 24 hours. Specials, lets have your votes.

At the end of the day after M.B.'s death Jenny went home after school. Sitting down at her desk she switched on her desktop computer and logged in. She checked her email and then logged onto MSN. There was no one interesting on, so she set her status as busy.

She took out her books and notes from her bag and started studying. Half an hour later when she was just about to start studying maths her father's voice drifted up the stairs.

"Supper's ready Jenny!"

Peter Marrington, Jennifer's father had lost his wife, Jenny's mother, when Jenny was only six months old in a tragic car accident. He did not remarry and spent most of his free time with his daughter. When not spending time with Jennifer he was a cook in an expensive restaurant close to the city center. He worked the midday shift, preferring to spend the nights at home.

This night he had made an excellent chicken curry. Halfway through the supper the phone rang. He answered and came back a few minutes later.

"Seems like my car shall not be repaired in time for me to be able to take you to your prom, darling. I'm sorry. Will you be able to find a lift?"

"I'll try Dad."

Finishing her dessert of vanilla pudding Jenny went back to her room, where a pop up window greeted her on her computer screen.

Ricky (richard_earl@sunnyvalehighschool.com) has added you to his/her contact list. Do you wish to allow this person to see when you are online and contact you?

Jenny clicked to allow him to see her online and waited to see what Ricky had to say.

By the time Ton went out to his car, the parking lot was mostly empty.

Since he was feeling relatively happy and bored at the same time, he decided that he had an excellent time and place to do some doughnuts and burnouts.

Hopping into his Trans Am, he started her up quickly, and gunned the engine to get her warmed up quickly. Shifting into reverse, he revved the engine, and burned out backing up, sliding the car's front end around in the process. Popping her into second, he let her go, and crushed the gas flat to the floor. As if swaying upon her back tires, the car slid from side to side, slowly moving forwards and splattering the principal's car with hot rubber bits.

She got moving quickly, and he ran most of the way across the big, mostly empty parking lot before going into a braking slide, turning the car sideways. As she began to turn, he gunned the engine once more and began doing doughnuts, slowly at first, but speeding up as he got the engine's full power into spinning the wheels. After a minute or two of this, he turned the wheels in the opposite direction, and as the car fishtailed wildly, he got her moving straight, and headed out to the track to see who might want to race tonight. No one had challenged him last night, and he was just forced to do a little practice.

(OOC: Feeling quite energetic and happy about promotion :D Had to release it somewhere other than IRC and MSN :D)

Ricky logged on the his usual sites, drifting through pages ranging from poetry to sports, a few photographic sites. he had added Jenny to his contacts, and was surfing quite aimlessly in the hope of seeing her online.

Jenny appeared in his messanger window, the icon shifting colour as she added him to her contacts.

"Hi Jenny. How are you ?"

he sent the message, and before waiting for a reply, added;

"I got your contact from leann in chemistry, she said she had met you online browsing, you dont mind do you?"

The next morning dawned bright and clear. The students were relieved when they got to school to see that for once this week there were no police cars outside the front.

By sheer random chance, if such a thing at a high school exists, most of the nominees found themselves standing outside by the school fountain, the males talking quietly on one side whilst the cheerleaders all gossipped loudly on the other.

The separation was broken as Tiffany ran up to both of the groups, babbling "ohmyGod!" repeatedly at such a speed that it was almost unintelligable.

After a moment or two of catching hre breath, Tiffany was finally able to relay her story.

"OhmyGod you guys! Bobby was in a crash last night! The brakes like totally failed on his car! He's in hospital!"

The nominees all murmered amongst themselves in shock. Bobby was such a careful driver after his first car accident...he wouldn't be so reckless as to have another, would he?

Tiffany soon voiced this;

"You don't think that someone's been, like, setting us up? All of these accidents have been happening to Prom nominees!"

The conversation continued, broken up once mroe as friends split off into groups to discuss the recent turn of events.

Tiffany watched all this and sighed heavily. Now who was she gonna go to the Prom with?!

OOC: Poor Bobby Jones/Gryphon was a hapless Student with a love of fast cars. Day phase now begins for 48 hours. Cast your slander I say!

OOC: from last night, written collaboratively with cryptomancer.

Jenny and Ricky started chatting with each other.

Jenny says:

No, Ricky I don't mind.

Ricky says:

I figured it gives me a chance to get to know you a bit better

Ricky says:

we dont get to talk much at school

Jenny says:

Yes, that's true. And when we get to talk, there is always someone who interrupts us.

Ricky says:

yes it is always hard to really talk with the others listening and gossiping.

Ricky says:

so i supose you all set for the prom?

Jenny says:

don't even ask

Jenny says:

my dad was supposed to take me

Jenny says:

but his car broke down last week and it won't get repaired until the night of the prom

Ricky says:

ow, not a good thing.

Ricky says:

I could offer an alturnative...

Ricky says:

my timing is off again, but I was really trying to find a way to ask you to come with me.

Jenny sat surprised in front of her computer screen for several seconds. He had actually asked her!!

Jenny says:

to the prom you mean?

Ricky says:

Well.. yes.

Ricky says:

I dont want it to sound like a sympathy thing though,

Ricky says:

I really wanted to ask you, I was going to take the Corvette. got room for one more.

Ricky says

would really like you to be that one.

Jenny says:

oh, I don't know what to say

Jenny says:

that's so nice of you

Jenny says:

of course I'll accept

Ricky says:

thank you

Ricky says:

so, what are you going to wear?

Ricky says:

I would like to co-ordinate my look to fit.

Jenny says:

to tell you the truth I don't know yet

Jenny says:

I could wear a dress my mother had while she was still alive, but that would be outmoded probably

Ricky says:

Want to go shoppinjg after school sometime.

Jenny says:

would it be too much to ask of you to take me shopping one of the days before the prom? seeing as I can't go since my dad's car, bla bla

Ricky says:

I can help you choose something, and it will give us time to really talk as well.

Jenny says:

oh you're so sweet would tomorrow after school be good for you?

Ricky says:

tomorrow is great, I got most of the afternoon free, well, I can get out of mostly everything if i need to.

Ricky says:

I would love to take you shopping, where you want to go?

Ricky says:

does the mall have much to suit a ball? or would you like to head out to some of the more boutique stores.

Jenny says:

I phoned the clothes boutique at the mall and they said that they don't have much for a night like the prom

Jenny says:

do you know any good stores?

Ricky says:

hey we could skip the last few classes, talk to the teachers nice, and head to the city, I hear there is a good set of designer stores there to look at. if you dont mind an afternoon cruising in the jeep with me?

Jenny says:

my last class is p.e. so I can easily skip that, but before that I have maths, and I wouldn't want to miss that

Jenny says:

oh, but wait

Jenny says:

I've just remembered

Jenny says:

Ms Brown has said that she won't be able to do the maths class tomorrow

Ricky says:

sweet.

Ricky says:

so, see you in the cafereria after lunch and we can go from there?

Jenny says:

ok

Jenny says:

sounds great

Ricky says:

wonderful you drink cappacino?

Ricky says:

with sugar?

Jenny says:

that's right

Jenny says:

you must have been watching me earlier today

Ricky says:

yeah, sorry, I do that.

Ricky says:

you are beautiful

Jenny stared silently at her screen surprised that Ricky had said it this fast. On the other side of the connection Ricky was thinking how to continue the conversation since Jenny wasn't typing anything.

Ricky says:

thank you for accepting my invite.

Ricky says:

it will really be wonderfull to go to the prom together.

Jenny says:

sorry for not replying, you surprised me a bit there

Jenny says:

and when I say a bit that is quite an understatement

Jenny stopped typing midsentence, wondering what Ricky was going to reply.

Ricky says:

yeah, sorry, i can be a bit blunt at times,

Ricky says:

but i mean it, you really are beautiful,

Jenny blushed in front of her screen, and for several moments did not know what to reply. Then thinking that she needed to say something she said:

Jenny says:

thank you

Ricky says:

you are welcome,

"Jenny! Could you come for a moment?" - her dad's voice drifted up the stairs.

Jenny says:

brb, my dad wants to talk to me

Ricky says:

no problem,

Ricky says:

I should probible go though, homework to do.

Ricky says:

see you tomorrow?

"Jenny, I have found a friend of mine, who could take you to the prom, he..."

"No need anymore dad, I have found someone to take me." - she replied, smiling and rushed back up the stairs.

Jenny says:

sorry it took this long, my dad had found a friend of his to take me to the prom, but I told him I had found someone to take me

Jenny says:

I should also do some homework

Jenny says:

see you tomorrow

Jenny says:

Jenny signed off 10:30 pm

Ricky sat looking at the screen, signed off and shutting down, he relaxed, "wow, she said yes."

Ricky drifted through the day, his mind shifting uneasily through the last few days.

the team is going to struggle with two players missing, and two of the better ones too. Bobby would not have been stupid in his car, he knows better. his thoughts shifted again, Jenny would get to the cafereria after he did. He headed to the counter and ordered a latte. looking around, he found a slightly secluded table, and sat to wait, still in view of the counter so she would see him when she arrived.

Dee parked her dad’s car and, after locking it, she walked up to the school. She noticed there was a whole bunch of nominees standing together, and heard Tiffany screaming over all the other excited voices.

"OhmyGod you guys! Bobby was in a crash last night! The brakes like totally failed on his car! He's in hospital!"

Dee was shocked and stopped walking to listen to what the rest was saying in reaction to this. People were already suggesting that it had been one of her fellow nominees that had done this, but who?

Dee looked at the faces of the people standing around, and noticed that Ricky and Jenny were missing. She had already thought before that they were up to something, and them not being here only seemed to confirm that suspicion. Talking to Ashlee had not helped; the girl had only been talking about the fact that Brown had died before asking her to the prom.

She discovered Angela and Sheila in the crowd and waved them over.

“I want you to keep an eye on Jenny” She said to Sheila, “and you to follow Ricky.” She continued as she turned to Angela. “They are up to something, and I need to know what it is.” she said grimly.

OOC: No accusation yet

"A car crash...what a pity. Bobby always was reckless." Meredith murmurs to herself after hearing the news. Though she doesn't usually waste time listening to what Tiffany's saying, something catches her ear.

"You don't think that someone's been, like, setting us up? All of these accidents have been happening to Prom nominees!"

There it is again. That suspicion of a murderer in their midst. Unlikely for two boys, both nominees, to fatally crash their cars within a week of prom. Someone's taking an unhealthy interest in this prom. Meredith's eyes wander around the room. Almost everyone is discussing the killing excitedly, but she spots Jenny heading to the cafeteria. The other girl looks not at all distraught, or even concerned. In fact, she looks a bit preoccupied, and there's a small smile on her face. Now, what could have her smiling after the tragic death of one of her classmates? As an afterthought, Meredith thinks And what could she possibly be doing that she needs to spend so much time in the cafeteria?

Meredith walks over to Dee, whom she noticed seemed to be looking for someone earlier. "Hey Dee, I saw Jenny heading to the cafeteria again. She seemed pretty happy. What do you think of that?

Dee had just send her puppies away to follow Ricky and Jenny, and she was still pondering over what had happened, when she noticed that Meredith was speaking to her. It took her a moment to recall what she had asked.

“I think it is a bit strange, but maybe they haven’t heard it yet.” She answered carefully, she wasn’t sure if she could trust Meredith. Sure, she seemed nice enough. Now. However, Dee also knew that she was known to turn things the way she wanted them, with whatever means she needed.

“Oh, they’ve heard,” Meredith answered with a grin, “Tiffany was shouting loud enough.”

Dee chuckled, it was true Tiffany had been screaming like a squealing pig, “Want to have lunch together and talk things over?” she asked Meredith.

Due to the online chat she had had with Ricky the day before Jenny got to sleep later and in the morning stayed in her bed slightly longer than usual. She nearly missed the last schoolbus and arrived barely before classes started, but to her relief everyone was still talking outside. Then she found out the news about Bobby. Two players down in two days. As a cheerleader for the football team Jenny knew that the two of them had been important players for the team.

She gossiped a few minutes with the other nominees and then the morning classes started. At the beginning of lunch break Jenny went to see Mr. Johnson the, physical education teacher. After explaining to him in a few words, Mr. Johnson agreed to excuse Jenny from his class.

Jenny then headed towards the cafeteria. She saw Dee watching her, but at the moment did not pay much attention. She spotted Ricky sitting at a secluded table of the cafeteria. She ordered a cappuccino with milk and sat down at Ricky's table smiling at Ricky as he greeted her.

"Mr. Johnson has let me off from the P.E. class. Have you managed to get rid of your classes?"

"My day is now officially clear to spend with you."

Ricky smiled as he watched Jenny sip her coffee, he was still a bit stunned that she had said yes. he sipped at the last of his own drink,

"You heard about Bobby?"

Jenny nodded, Looking at Ricky as he watched her.

"Is the team going to manage without the others?"

"It will be a close one, Brown won't be missed much in play, but the other two were key players, very skilled ones too. It will be hard to replace them."

Ricky seemed distracted for a moment, before continuing,

"Shall we go? Where do you want to start?"

"Sure," Meredith answers Dee. This could be an informative meal. Dee's not a stupid girl, and Meredith knows she also has an interest in the killings.

As the two near the cafeteria, Meredith points out Ricky and Jenny. "Look, there they are. I've seen them together a lot in the past couple days. Do you know if they're going to prom together? Jenny moved pretty fast."

OOC: vote for Jenny/Patrick Durham.

Edited by dragonqueen

Sue nearly snarled as she walked by Dee and Meredith. "Can you believe her? Not only sucking in the attention of every guy she walks by, but she's already moved in on Ricky? Sure gets around, doesn't she?"

Sue stormed off to a quiet table by herself and rested her head on her fintertips, trying to massage the pounding headache out of her temples. This was all getting so strange, so fast. Someone *had* to know what was going on. Why couldn't she figure it out?

And at the rate guys were dropping, would anyone have a date for prom?

OOC: Vote for Jenny/Patrick Durham

When Duke heard the news he was stunned. Another crash? This was starting to get ridiculous - he knew most of the student's cars up close and personal, at least the ones that were used for racing, and he knew that brakes didn't just start failing by themselves. He decided he had something more important to do than classes today, and that the same thing went for Elliott.

With a snap of his fingers he summoned the lad and headed for his car.

"C'mon genius, we've got work to do."

Elliott didn't question this and just followed. He did raise his eyebrows for a moment when Duke did a quick check of his car before getting in and when they drove off slowly for once he was so amazed he could hardly speak.

"What? I'm not going to kill both of us because someone messes with my car. As a matter of fact, that's exactly what we're going to prevent today. Look, what we're going to do is ..."

As Duke explained his plan, Elliott started grinning - this sounded interesting! The rest of the day they spent in the garage, messing around with parts, screens and software.

--- Later

"Right, let's give it a try."

Duke pulled back and got into the car. He tried starting it, but a newly-installed touchscreen lit up, gave a warning beep and turned the car off again.

WARNING!! WARNING!! Brake test returned error 0x002. WARNING!! WARING!!

Duke grinned, got under the hood and connected the cables again. When he tried to start the car again, the screen gave an OK message, indicating that all the tests had been completed successfully and that the car was fine.

He nodded at Elliott while picking up some spare parts. "Nice work, genius. I'm just going to put these back, you sweep up the floor?"

Elliott was sweeping when he heard a loud crash and some even louder curses coming from the back room, and he hurried over. Duke was lying on the ground, his right leg pinned under a heavy metal bar, swearing and slowly lifting it off his leg. When he noticed Elliott, he stopped swearing long enough to ask for an ambulance ... he'd be going to prom with a broken leg.

OOC : With everyone voting for Jenny, I'll add some tension by casting my vote towards Ashlee McDowel / Zariah, absolutely without a reason.

Tiffany was in sheer panic; poor Bobby was gone and she is left with nobody to accompany her!

- Why it had to be Bobby? He was so nice to ask me to acommpany to the Prom Night and now he's at the hospital. NOT FAIR!!!!

The others reaction to Tiff antics were as varied as the demeanors, some were empathetic while others were dead annoyed. Some, however, decided to enjoy the show.

- I don't who did that to Bobby but that was SO MEAN!!!! That's SO UNFAIR!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Tiffany's eyes spouted fountains of tears. Meredith comments the situation in her own callous ways.

- I'm hearing the WAAHbulance!

(OOC: Tiff is way too upset to pinpoint anyone for now.)

Ricky opened the door of his jeep for Jenny, and as they pulled out of the carpark glanced over at her. She was really beautiful in the sunlight, the way it highlighted her hair. They drove to baker st, parked and started slowly walking, not saying much as they went. Both of them still a little unsure of the new ground they were on with each other.

They passed a few stores, not much catching the eye, a few nice designs, but nothing really stunning. Jenny, sighed, "hey, thanks for this, it really is a big help."

Ricky smiled, "Hey, time together is important, I am glad i could help."

the pused by the next store Jenny glanced into the window ignoring the display there, her eyes searching the interior of the store for that small hint of deep blue, her favourite colour.

Ricky suggested they go in, and look more closely, Jenny was abou to say no, when something cought her eye. " ok, lets. "

They stood looking at the gown , Ricky at a loss for words as his mind dressed Jenny's wonderful body in the deep blue strapless dress that hung before them , "Damn, that would look stunning on you." Jenny smiled, "you like?"

"Hell yeah. You want some privacy to try it on?"

"ok" jenny bounced over to the assistant, pointing out the dress as Ricky walked to the door to wait out side.

"Hey? Where you off to? I want you to see this on me, and give me an honest opinion"

Ricky blushed, "Um, sure, ok..." he trailed off as jenny closed the door to the changing room.

OOC: Vote on hold while Ricky drools

Edited by cryptomancer