The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Creative Writing Exercise # 8

Salinye

**I don't think I've done this one on this board before, forgive me if I have!! I couldn't find it if I have, but you never know! If you want to see some of the things people wrote on a different board years ago in response to this challenge, click here. :0) **

This is a paragraph by paragraph challenge...If you had to call yourself an object what would it be and why. Likewise, what objects would those who frequent your life be? I'm interested to see your paragraphs on who you are and who those you are close to are. Symbolism is used in a lot of writings,and is often expressed through objects. This challenge will show us how you think of yourself and close friends/enemies in symbolic terms by associating them with common everyday (or maybe not so everyday) objects.

This is free form paragraph style. :0)

Huge Kudos to Yui for restirring this creative writing exercise pot!

~Salinye :fairy:

Often searching for my own self-worth, I do know I am valued by others. I enjoy traveling and feeling like a contributor for the “bigger” picture. I’ve been fortunate to have visited other countries, but I miss most of the sights since I’m often in the dark. Jingling around wears me out and I often clang with my friends when we’re moving together.

One could say that at the end of each day, I do feel quite spent. I do feel like we are separated into groups, which only increases my fear of being forgotten. When I’m being difficult, some say I have a heart as cold as metal. But who in my situation be thrilled to have little control over their life? I’m thrown and slammed down and hidden away in small containers.

It does make me feel good to know I can help those who need me. One of the great aspects is when I’m happy and clean; I shine and gleam from side to side. Unless I am forever lost, I know I will have a very long lifetime.

I’m a coin. I’m part of the physical aspect of the society “money”. I don’t agree with how we are being viewed by humans. People feel that if they have us, they are powerful. And I just want to be used as a trading mechanism to keep the human race functioning. Simple times, when people exchanged their trades with each other to get what they needed seem to have diminished, and now, I feel that we are almost an evil creation. I almost wish I didn’t exist. But, it could be because I am the lowest valued coin, and I can’t see it from a higher-worth position. Who knows? Maybe they will get rid of me and my kind to even things out for my superior-valued money pals.

I’d rather be anything but what I am.

(I hope I did this right? Err...or maybe not? I meant to show that I think that the way that society influences people in modern today, has also contributed to why I have had low self esteem. Except, that I don't feel I really do have poor self esteem so much any more, since I accept that I am who I am for a reason. I suppose this would basically be the me who I was in highschool.)

I am vapour. Formless, sightless, aimless. I may be everywhere at once or nowhere at all. I move at the whim of wind and stay at my own expense. Little noticed, little known, ignored at others' cost. I may cool and soothe or burn and corrode. Such is my power, such is my curse. Such are all things in the end, carried on the wind.

Rubix Cube

If I would compare myself with an object it would most probably be a Rubix Cube. I don’t know if everybody remembers them, but they were those cubes that existed of different compartments, with a colour on each side. You could turn and twist the cube, and the object of this little game was that you got all side one colour, at the same time.

The most difficult thing was to have everything in order at the same time. I am like that, I normally am pretty organised, but there is always a side that is completely mixed up. When I finally manage to have all sides one colour, than it only takes a few little twists to mess it all up again. With this I don’t mean to say that I’m unstable or anything, the cube was made of a pretty hard plastic, just that organization is sometimes hard to find in my head.

The colours are also important. As I said each side had a different colour, (I think they used: white, yellow, red, orange, blue, and green) I’ve got at least as many moods as the cube has colours. I can be a happy yellow person, but there are also days when there is a red sign going up, and I should not speak to anybody, unless they like being insulted.

Green would be the days on which I feel especially connected to nature, white for the spiritual days, blue for when I’m feeling sad, and finally Orange for days when I feel particularly connected to Holland (I seem to have less and less orange daysJ).

Ironing Iron

My mum would be an iron, smoothly striking out the wrinkles when needed, and leaving you with a warm and cuddly feeling. Very practical, you only need to be careful with touching her on the wrong places; you might burn yourself (like when I don’t clean up my mess behind me).

Calculator

My dad is more of a calculator; I can always count on him to give the right answers. He also helps me with the most difficult problems. At the same time he has soft spots, like the keys on a calculator. He has the handy quality that he can turn himself of when he doesn’t want to discuss something any longer, and then decides to do something else instead.

Towel

My little brother would be like a towel, nice and soft. He soaks up too much, and ends up silent. He’s never been much of a talker more a listener, but sometimes his dry humour can catch me unexpected.

Oak

My best friend is an oak. One that has been broken in a few places, but just kept on growing stronger of it. She is an amazing person, and is as refreshing as the oak tree is in spring, full of new undiscovered, leaves, and yet so familiar.

Of course I love all of them, and I could probably go one with a few other people. I have heard of drama classes that used this exercise to improve the acting. I’ve always had the tendency to connect people with different animals, but this was fun as well. :D

I fly, free and lighter than any bird on the wing, lighter even than their feathers. My speed is beaten only by light itself, it would seem. I race, and cavort, and wrestle, and would explode if I could from all the energy and drive I have from simply being.

My strength is vast, due simply to my creation. There is no obstacle I cannot overcome. Yet all too often, I become wrapped up in myself, and do damage untold to those around me, even as my might increases in terrible ways.

These times bring me crashing to earth, and in the wake of that crash, the weight of my footfall seems nigh immesurable. I cannot move without tearing a furrow wherever I tread.

I am the winds of a tornado.