The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The way we are

Gryphon

Just as an aside to the vaguely meaningful posts I've been putting in here in an effort to make conversation:

Terry Goodkind in the book Wizards First Rule states that the rule is "People are stupid"

(I hope I've not misquoted, it's been a long time since I read that book)

Casual observation of people (both individually and as a race) often seems to support this rule.

Sometimes I'm stupid and sometimes I'm not... does this mean that sometimes I'm not people? :)

hmm I remember that rule being something like "People will believe anything" ... I could be wrong tho. And afterall, that could mean the same thing :P

One other thing, you can never be people, since you are an individual. And there's a big diference between 'people' and 'individual' ... The difference is in the social interaction/conditions.

-Appy

From memory, which does tend to be faulty at times, (thus enabling me to re-read books), the bit about people believing anything was part of the expanded explanation of the rule.

Basically, as you say, they might mean the same thing.

:)

Pitty though... I was wondering what it felt like to be people. Guess I'll just have to settle for being me.

It's barely related to the questions I asked when I first asked when I opened this thread, but it is related and interesting too.

Someone sent one of my workmates a weblink the other day to this website:

Interesting Website

I find it exceedingly interesting that a portion of the american population actually feel it's necessary to apologise for the political choices of the rest of the american population.

It's an interesting method of interaction and I'm still trying to decide if it's a subtle method of insult to those who did vote for the new President.

Whatever it is I'm curious if anyone else has stumbled across this website and if you have what your thoughts on it are.

Edit: I forgot to say the pictures etc that make it interesting are under the Gallery section - last time I looked there were something like 420 galleries and rising.

Edited by Gryphon

I also stumbled across this website - it was logged on a very popular Dutch weblog. As is usually the case, there are those who think things like this are ridiculous, and there are those who fully agree with the website.

Personally, I was actually rather impressed by how concerned Americans are with politics - most people I know here seem as if they couldn't care less about who's governing them (probably because the parties are a ) too complicated and b ) most people think that politicians are all corrupt, so it doesn't matter which one you get.

I don't think (hope) it'll be as bad as it seems when looking at this website...

I also found another website, logged on the same weblog : clickety click. It's a kind of condolance register ... don't think I need to explain any further? :) 243 pages of it...

Also, it's actually counting down ("Only 3 years and 352 days until Bush leaves the white house"). Methinks this to be slightly exaggerated...

Edited by Venefyxatu

I found it quite fascinating to be honest... some of the picture entries I saw before I gave up looking at them were entertaining to say the least.

Personally I never really got into politics and those who do are a total mystery to me... I just cannot bring myself to see what is so fascinating about it. But I know it takes all kinds to make the world go around.

There's even an entry from New Zealand in one of the galeries I (sp?) saw! Yay! Go New Zealand. :D

it's not so much politics as attempting to be concerned with the direction society is going in general... the two are forever joined... as the ruler of the day sets the tone for enough things to influnence how things should get done... if that's not tooo general for you... my concerns with the current commander and chief only grow more concerned when I look at his changing cabinet and all ppl leaving the CIA... I took Powell's resignation particular hard. It was nice to have former four-star general so close the throne. I will miss him. I saw him as the one of the few voice's of reasons willing to take on all the other 'yes' men. If history has taught us anything; it is that those who surround themselves with only those that will agree with them, we only grow more out of touch with reality as time goes by...

rev...

Funny thought occured to me regarding the whole US election thing... well, funny to me.

With all the noise being made by both major camps pre-election it's funny that I'm now hearing so very little noise from those who support (read: vote) George Bush.

It's probably unfair to them, but I couldn't help think 'are they sitting back and cruising having proven that they are "right", or have they suddenly in the aftermath gone "oh dear, what have we done?"'

I only hope you'll forgive me for having a sence of humor that finds this kind of thought funny if you're an avid supporter of GWB... I've said before and I'll say again, I pretty much view politics as a funny kind of weird soap opera that's vaguely entertaining to watch on TV but I'd not want to live there.

Originally posted by Gryphon:

Someone sent one of my workmates a weblink the other day to this website:

Interesting Website

I find it exceedingly interesting that a portion of the american population actually feel it's necessary to apologise for the political choices of the rest of the american population.

Yeah, I actually stumbled onto that site in its first week of existence, right after the election.

Apparently its been growing my leaps and bounds, enough so that it now has a sister website, called apologies accepted. It can be seen here

Since some newspapers have reported on it, its popularity has grown.

We talked about it in my freshman sociology class today and we were all amazed at how it started out as merely a lark and grew into this huge site with thousand and thousands of people sending in photos. If you haven't already looked, check out the photo gallery on sorryeverybody.com. I've heard the site has averages HALF A MILLION hits per day.

As for the motive, it might, as Gryphon said, be a subtle way to insult the President, but it seems to have grown into a way to reconcile with the world. A lot of people seem to think that Bush has harmed the U.S.'s foreign affairs and relations. And his re-election may be a sanction for the continuation of such. So the people who are upset about the election results have bought into this website....as a very non-political way to reconcile with the world outside the U.S. that presumably dislikes the ways in which Bush handles foreign affairs. At least, this is way my sociology prof interpreted it.

With all the noise being made by both major camps pre-election it's funny that I'm now hearing so very little noise from those who support (read: vote) George Bush.

It's probably unfair to them, but I couldn't help think 'are they sitting back and cruising having proven that they are "right", or have they suddenly in the aftermath gone "oh dear, what have we done?"'

Actually I heard a retaliatory site has been created for Bush supporters. But I haven't actually seen it or searched for it, as I'm not a huge Bush supporter.

*Rhaps*

Speak softly but wield a big Vote?

Focusing on the future and wondering why others focus on the past?

Favorite: Silent but Deadly?

small comment: funny how it's a dutch website, the one accepting the apologies? Specially with the big wave of violence going on there right at this moment after the killing of Theo Van Gogh..... we're a weird bunch I tell ya :huh:

Edited by Appy

aww, the future...

well since the u.s. economy is based on faith(t-bonds and what not)... and we tend to need other people from here and abroad investing them... its going to be interesting to see where the all money's going to go... Euro's gotten stronger over the last few years... gee, I wonder why?

...also excellent wall-paper appy... Go Sluggy :)

rev...