The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WW XI

Merelas

How would you feel about being assigned a character to play in WWXI?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's the idea:

The Setting is the Salem Witch Trials of 1692. In this game, "Witches" will take the place of the wolves, a "witness"" will take the place of the seer, and a "Faithkeeper" will take the place of a Baner. I will assign these rolls after they have been selected at random, and anyone else is a part of the peasantry.

Due to the fact that there will be at least one person with the actual title of "Reverend" in the game (and that this person may or may not be the baner), I changed the title of the baner in order to make things less confusing.

In order to make the game more historically accurate, for the purposes of role-play, the "day" phase will represent a week or so in time, and will be reffered to (in character) as "the trial". At any time during the trial, any person may cry out against a person suspected of witchcraft against the village of Salem.

Finally comes the tricky part: I'm considering assigning each of you (participants) a character to play. By character (using examples from previous games), I mean to say the persona you take on. For example, Tanuchan was a werewolf in the Wild West game, but that was her role. Her character was that of Amanda Cartwright, married to Nathaniel Cartwright, and having an affair with Markus Black.

Obviously, I will allow you room to create and play your character--the object of these games is creativity, and I wouldn't infringe upon that. However, I do want the following characters to be played by an actual person, and I'm not sure if anyone would volunteer:

1. A town Reverend, newly established in Salem

2. A town Marshall, sort of like a chief of police

3. Various officials of the church, including a Church Treasurer and other members

4. Tituba (a servant from Barbados, speaks little english and works with the children... in actuality, she was put to death for witchcraft, but that's not necessarily the case here :P )

These roles can be difficult, and I'm sure that not everyone could pull them off. Plus, being assigned a roll makes things a little different, and it's never been tried before.

However, I have a feeling that people won't like this idea, so I've left it open to polling. When you reply to the poll, if you vote against being assigned a roll, please specify what character you would like to play and if you would be willing to take on one of those roles I've listed above.

Thank you, and please sign up and vote!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sign me up!

I'm all for a challenge, so I'd be willing to do any of the characters you outlined.

Note: If the vote ends up being 4-9 or something in favour of no assigned chars... I just wanted to point out that not all is lost, with regard to that. Simply assign the chars to the people who volunteered. (I wasn't sure with what you said if you realized you could do that, or not) :rolleyes:

I'm in.

I _was_ going to play Agatha Harkness, widow woman, who buried six kids and three husbands.

The first died from eating poison mushrooms.

The second died from eating poison mushrooms.

The third died from having his head bashed in.

(He wouldn't eat the poison mushroom.)

OK, getting all the Monty Python out here in the non game thread:

Sir Bedevere : There are ways of telling whether she is a witch.

Peasant 1 : Are there? Oh well, tell us.

Sir Bedevere : Tell me. What do you do with witches?

Peasant 1 : Burn them.

Sir Bedevere : And what do you burn, apart from witches?

Peasant 1 : More witches.

Peasant 2 : Wood.

Sir Bedevere : Good. Now, why do witches burn?

Peasant 3 : ...because they're made of... wood?

Sir Bedevere : Good. So how do you tell whether she is made of wood?

Peasant 1 : Build a bridge out of her.

Sir Bedevere : But can you not also build bridges out of stone?

Peasant 1 : Oh yeah.

Sir Bedevere : Does wood sink in water?

Peasant 1 : No, no, it floats!... It floats! Throw her into the pond!

Sir Bedevere : No, no. What else floats in water?

Peasant 1 : Bread.

Peasant 2 : Apples.

Peasant 3 : Very small rocks.

Peasant 1 : Cider.

Peasant 2 : Gravy.

Peasant 3 : Cherries.

Peasant 1 : Mud.

Peasant 2 : Churches.

Peasant 3 : Lead! Lead!

King Arthur : A Duck.

Sir Bedevere : ...Exactly. So, logically...

Peasant 1 : If she weighed the same as a duck... she's made of wood.

Sir Bedevere : And therefore...

Peasant 2 : ...A witch!

:D:D:D

All right, signups are coming along nicely... I think we'll let them stand until... oh, say Friday, and then we'll close admissions and begin the in character thread. And I will make (what has the potential to be very large) the opening post with a little bit of background from a... shall we say, "unique" perspective.

The roster is as follows, thus far:

Katzaniel

Eyremoon

Tanuchan

Vahktang

Dragonqueen

Lady Celes Crusader

DeantheAdequate

Cryptomancer

Methinksyoufoolish

Certainly not, Cryptomancer :) I enjoyed your RP as much as Lady Celes, for you were really quick to pick up the scenes with Anna without any planning at all - it was really really fun for me! :D

I hope you keep having a good time RPing here ;)

MTYFoolish, I'm glad to see you back!!!

*hugs*

~Tanny

All right. Characters and roles have been assigned. This thread will serve as the OOC discussion for the game, and I ask that all backstory planning be conducted here, as PM alliances are NOT allowed (as I told most of you in your Character info PM). Our roster is as follows:

I would note that in the 17th century, "Goodwife" was something like "Mrs." It was often shortened to "Goody" when you were familliar with the person, and thus not being formal.

DeantheAdequate--Reverend Arthur, newly established in Salem

Tanuchan--Goodwife Arthur, wife of the Reverend

Vahktang--Thomas Parcel, Treasurer of the Church

Katzaniel--Goodwife Parcel, wife of Thomas

Dragonqueen--Allison Whitney

Lady Celes Crusader--Silence Whitney, daughter of Allison

Eyremoon--Samantha Bones, widow

MeThinksUFoolish--Eric Dobbins, Usher of the Church

Cryptomancer--Donovan James, Governor of the province.

Best of luck to all involved.

The in-character thread will start soon with a little bit of an introduction. The first kill will be an NPC after the day phase (which will be only RP as we won't have a reason to lynch yet). Then will come the night phase (an announcement will be made, at which point the FaithKeeper, Witch, and Witness will all PM me with their selections).

Yay :D

Merelas, just a (dumb) question... what exactly is an Usher of the Church?

And, if we can choose first names... mine is Amelia Arthur, and friends could call me Amy - or not? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the adequate language for Salem at that time... :huh:

No PM alliances allowed - but can we PM to set some character background, or you'd rather we use this thread and talk in the open? As I'm Dean's wife, I'd like to set a "common language" with him... and I think Katz/Vahk and Dragonqueen/Celes would feel the same... :)

This will be fun to play - me, a Reverend's wife? :lol:

~Tanny :flower:

The thread is up. In character posts are welcome at this time. My next post will be to open the night phase, and will result in the death of some of our beloved NPC's. Mingle, my little ones, mingle!

Edit: After looking back on Tanny's post some more I realize I didn't address one of her questions. PM's between characters for purely story reasons that you don't want others to know (to be honest I can't think of one but maybe you can... perhaps you've had an affair and so you want to have a bad relationship with your spouse but you don't want to let people know yet) just right now, you may PM each other about the game, but I do want you to CC me everything.

Edited by Merelas

Don't be Amelia. 'Cause Merelas did assign me a first name, and we wouldn't want two Amelias. :P

Um... why is Eyremon playing a woman? Are you sure he won't mind?

As for plans...

Vahk: I think we should have two darling little children. A boy and a girl. Nancy, maybe, and Graham? 12 and 8 respectively, I'd say. I'm just pulling this out of nowhere so if you have any other ideas, just post it.

Tanuchan and Dragonqueen: We should have a knitting circle or something. Once a week. And maybe we're planning a barbeque or something for the town? We should be "perfect" little wives, until the lynching starts and we turn vicious ;)

Celes: Mind if we hire you to look after our kids sometimes?

Something Merelas sent me, answering a doubt I had, and asked me to post here...

An usher played an unusual role in 17th century churches. They seated people in their appropriate pews (each person had assigned seating), and were supposed to make sure that no one slept (because services lasted all day). They had a special staff that they used to this end, with one end having a brass knob on it (like a doorknob) and the other end having feathers attached like a feather duster. If they caught a lady or an old man or child sleeping, they would tickle their nose with the feathers until they awoke, but if they caught a grown man sleeping, they were smacked on the head with the knob.

Katz:

Oops... didn't know about your name. Well, then I can be... hmm... Anne.

Knitting circle... yup, agreed. As the Reverend's wife, I guess it's my role to lead that one, and maybe also a Prayer Circle twice a week?

I would also help you with your children when needed. We can be good friends, as you're the wife to the Treasurer...

A barbecue seems nice also. Good idea :) And maybe also some kind of campaign... mm... what would be adequate? Clothing and shoes for the poor? And besides the barbecue, how about being in the middle of the preparations for a jamboree? If that kind of stuff existed at 17th century...

or a beneficent party, something like that.

Dean

I've sent you a PM to discuss some detailed background, just to not cluttler this thread... you can post the answers here, anyway.

Do we have children? I guess it depends on how old we are, and how long we've been married... I'll let this up to you, unless I have to use something in the IC thread - sorry if I write something not exactly in your plans...

RP note

Please, I am not familiar with Protestant customs as I've grown up in a mainly Roman Catholic country. So bear with me if I say something incoherent in my RP... you can always point it out here, and then I'll correct in the thread.

~Tanny :flower:

~~~~~~

Edit: Meh... my first name, again. Hadn't noticed Elisabeth was the NPC witch...

Edited by Tanuchan