The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Afterparty

Wyvern

Next in the archived line-up of parties honoring other sites is a party hosted in honor of Arcane Artistry, which was entitled "The Arcane Art of Disco Fever" and took place in the beautiful Foyer of the Arcane Aristry HQ. Despite the lack of any other pennite participants, this went down as perhaps the funnest off-site party thus far, as the folks at Arcane Artistry are very friendly and fun, and really know how to get their groove on on the dancefloor! I'd highly recommend checking them out and getting to know them if you ever have a chance. Anyway, their site is going to be changing formats soon, so I thought it would be good to archive this prior to the switch so that there's no chance of losing track of it. Enjoy.

Wyv

The Great Arcane Artistry Keep bustled with life in the cool September night. Whispers of "NaNoWriMo" filled the halls with excitement and wonder, and merry laughter echoed from the Role-Playing Halls and CYOA Quarters. From the foyer of the building, the view of the mystical valley was magnificent and stretched as far as the eye could see... that is, until a tiny wisp of smoke began to obscure the sight a bit. The wisp slithered in serpent-like motions towards the ceiling, and was quickly accompanied by more trails of smoke, each of them emerging from the general vicinity of the foyer entrance. Arcane Artistry's stargazing crowds snapped from their reveries as the wisps turned to billows and the foyer became immersed in gray smoke. Those who had been relaxing squinted through the thick clouds and stood from their seats, lifting their hands to their brows as they tried to make out the source of the smoke. The billows gradually died down, and the gray haze that filled the room receded to reveal (*building musical chime tension*)... nobody, standing at the door.

The Arcane Artistry residents present turned to one another and muttered amongst themselves in confusion, scratching their heads and wondering if it might have been some broken chimney or minor kitchen mishap that had caused the smoke. They shrugged to themselves and began to return to their seats, only to pause and stare as a scaly red figure dressed in plaid sorcerer robes fell from the ceiling. The almost dragonic figure made an unelegent crash-landing on the rug next to the door and went still for a moment, then slowly twitched and began to raise himself to his feet.

"Yeesh, can never get the timing on that thing right." Wyvern brushed a claw over the crimson scales on his head and adjusted the cheapo wizard caps that rested on each of his horns. "*Ahem* Greetingssss, Arcane Artistry! The name's Wyvern, and I come in peace!"

Wyvern stepped forward and almost tripped over his cloak, then extended his arms and bowed to the gathered crowds. The overgrown lizard dug a claw into his cloak and pulled out a bright red blanket. He stuck his snout up in pride and rubbed a claw on his chest, then tossed the wide blanket over part of the floor.

"In honor of your excellent Keep, I offer you... free booze and munchies!"

Wyvern grabbed the blanket with a confident grin and tossed it off of the spot on the floor, only to reveal... the floor again.

"Erk." Wyvern let out a nervous laugh and rubbed his head for a moment. He breathed an apology to those present, then quickly ran to the room next door. The lizard returned several minutes later, shoving a table filled with bottles of Bruteweiser brew and curly onion cheesdoodles into the foyer. "*Ahem* All are invited to help themselves. It's a party, y'all!"

Wyvern snapped a claw, and the chimes of music in the background began chiming disco dance beats. He did a twirl, then removed one of the wizard caps from his horns and layed it on the ground. Several white rabbits began hopping out of the cap to the sounds of the Disco beat, each of them carrying an addressed invitation on their back. The names Nessa-Ciryatan, Achityn, Rosemerry, and CL da Writer were written on the envelopes amongst many others. Wyvern let out a triumphant laugh and clapped his claws together at the rabbit-out-a-cap trick working for a change. He frowned, however, as the rabbits began hopping around the floor in every direction, aimlessly looking for carrots.

"Uhmmm." Wyvern raised a claw and spoke loudly over the sound of the Disco beat, already half-dancing. "If folks could just spread the word that there'sss free booze, eats and dancing, that'd be great. Come on in and enjoy yourselves, you all deserve it!"

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wyvern

Nessa-Ciryatan

Entranced by the goings on of the strange scaly wyvern and the aimlessly hopping rabbits, Nessa was startled as she felt something thump into her leg.

Looking down, she saw it was a rabbit with an invitation attached to its back. She leaned down and detached the invitation, and then spun the rabbit around on the smooth floor so it faced another direction and let it hop away again in hindered. The name on the invitation was hers. She cracked the seal and read.

Hmm, she thought. Free food, drinks, and dancing. Who could say no to that?

Long-legged, dark-haired, and pointy-eared, the elvish woman strode into the room decidedly, pausing only once to call out very unelvishly, “Come on, everyone! It’s a par-tay!”

The Wyvern was already hopping about dancing, obviously having such a good time that Nessa left off welcoming him to the grand Halls of Arcane Artistry more officially. She didn’t want to spoil his fun.

With a grin for the funny wyvern and a longing look at the snacks table – she’d never heard of ‘curly onion cheesedoodles’ – Nessa started dancing. For all her elvish grace, the dance turned out to be a strange one as she dodged the rabbits underfoot. She'd thought the Wyvern had been dancing oddly because of his lizard-like physique, but now she knew.

“I can fix that,” she muttered, and waved her hands in a complicated pattern. Bright, sparkling blue magic swept from her hands to circumnavigate the room and touch each and every rabbit that had come from Wyvern’s hat. Satisfied, Nessa went back to partying.

In the meantime the air around the rabbits sparkled blue mist, and each of them suddenly got to their hind legs. Black eyes gleamed intelligently as they began wiggling their noses at the air around them.

“I say,” said one, sounding very surprised.

“Indeed,” said another, sounding equally surprised.

“Something in the air tonight, boys,” said another, cleaning his whiskers with his paws. “Now, we can’t stand idly around all night, we’ve got invitations to deliver. Hop to it!”

With smart salutes, the rabbits retrieved the invitations from around their backs until they could hold them at a more dignified level in front of them, as if they bore serving platters.

“See that gaggle at the door, lads?” the third rabbit asked, pointing one furry paw.

“Yes, yes, we do, old son,” the other rabbits replied excitedly. The dance music was starting to affect their legs in strange, interesting ways.

“That’s your target, boys. Remember, be cute and cuddly, and don’t take no for an answer. Now charge!”

There was a flurry of furry movement and shouts of surprise from the door as the rabbits went to work.

Wyv

Wyvern's eyes widened as the disco chimes picked up a few notches, his focus caught somewhere between Nessa's elven form and the one-upmanship of the rabbits in his "magic" act. The overgrown lizard ceased his arrhythmic arm motions as he eyed the floating bundle of rabbits surrounding the door. He raised a claw to his snout in the midst of what should have been a shimmy-limbo.

"Don't ferget, yer all still under contract! We'll talk about repeating thisss act at the next show. Now hop to!"

The lizard frowned as his voice was lost to the volume of the music, and promptly turned his attention back to Nessa-Ciryatan. He gaped at her incredibly smooth dance moves, and let his forked tongue roll loose as she tossed her dark hair back in an entrancing flourish. The lizard raised a claw to his chin and mulled over a means of impressing her in light of the obvious difference in skill, then snapped a claw in the air as the beat switched up a bit. Wyvern crossed his arms over his chest and proceeded to break into a horrendous Russian Barynya. He began approaching Nessa with fancy footstomps and pointless "barynya" hisses, only to trip over his tail and go stumbling forward. Nessa did a long twirl to the left, dodging the lizard and pausing as he fell by her feet.

"*Ahem*" Wyvern's scales went a deeper shade of crimson as he slowly lifted himself from the dancefloor. He rolled his tongue back into his mouth manually, then cleared his throat of a few ashes. "Sorry 'bout that, thanksss so much for joining in the fun! I've heard ssso many good things about ya."

Wyvern twiddled his claws, flexed his wings, stared up at the ceiling, then finally extended a claw to Nessa. He cocked his other claw back to the dancefloor.

"... may I?"

^_-

Macros the Black

Macros looks at the floating bunnies with lofty disdain mingled with amusement. With a rustle of his black robes, the wizard steps past the ooglers in the doorway and into the room, raising dark eyebrows at the sight of the beautiful elvish woman dancing with the squat but enthusiastic wyvern.

"Well, I've seen stranger things."

Macros the Black shrugs and lifts his crystal topped staff. He points it at the ceiling and mutters something unintelligible. A disco ball appears but a moment later, called through time and space by his powerful magic. Lights appear as well - blue and red spotlights that he sets to draw their power magically, and soon the party room is lit by a multitude of colors and twirling pinpoints of light from the disco ball.

"Time to let loose!" he exclaims, happy with his work. Then, hefting his black robes above his knees and giving everyone a scare at such an undignified sight, Macros leaps onto the dance floor and starts doing the twist, ignoring the strange looks he receives from dancers and watchers alike.

Nessa-Ciryatan

With a twirl and a flourish, Nessa placed one strong but delicate hand in the Wyvern's scaly palm.

"I'd be delighted," she said, her eyes asparkle.

Somewhere in the background, a black-robed wizard with his robes hiked up ridiculously above his knees shimmied on past them. "Great party!" the wizard yelled. Strange coloured lights and a large twirling mirror-ball that reflected them had somehow appeared on the ceiling above their heads.

"Great lights!" Nessa called back with a grin. "Welcome to the party!"

The Wyvern tipped the skinny wizard a courtly bow, using his tail for balance. Then the lizard-like creature deftly spun Nessa in a tight circle and swept her backwards in what he obviously hoped was a slick and dashing dance move, but almost sent Nessa sprawling most unelegantly to the floor.

"Hmm," she said, clutching his scaly limbs for dear life, unimpressed by the near spill.

With an apologetic and what he hoped was his most charming grin, Wyvern shrugged and in one neat and perfectly timed move swung her upright again and preceded to boogie her around the room.

"One hasss to be quick when dancing with me," he informed her adroitly.

Nessa raised one dark eyebrow and regarded him until she caught the gleam in his reptilian eye. "Ha," she replied. "We'll see about that!"

Together they danced madly about the room, the black-robed Macros shimming in between them now and then, his hiked up robes and pale knobby knees yet another source of amusement. His enthusiasm more than made up for the frightful sight however, not to mention his otherworldly dance moves.

At the door, Nessa saw more figures converge as Arcane Artistry students and Seers received their invitations to Wyvern's "Welcome to AA" party and came to see where the great beat was coming from and what all the fuss was about. Behind them Nessa could just make out the shapes of the polite but firm bunnies who had herded the local residents to the party room congratulating one another amiably and looking very pleased with themselves.

"Come on in!" she called to students and Seers alike, beckoning with one graceful hand.

Achithyn

Because it is an introduction... (likes to state the obvious). :P Why not play along and write up a reply? BTW, welcome Wyv! I've read some of your posts on www.themightypen.net about a year ago - you're a great writer. It's good to have you aboard AAF. :)

~Achi

Shade

Shade rose from his seat and carefully hoisted a large stack of books as he made his way to the one of the the Arcane Library's myriad shelves. Some said the shelves were filled with every book any arcane member had ever read but Shade was too lazy to check. He started with surprise when he spotted a rabbit holding an invitation releasing the stack right onto his foot.

Fortunatly he was too busy to notice as the slender raven haired man reached for a polished mahogany stick leaning against the nearby table. "Damn evil bunnies, their back again!" Shade exclaimed charging at the rabbit with the stick.

"Oh dear" the rabbit muttered in an inexplicable british accent, wiggling it's nose "I belive sir that you are quite mistaken. I am not an evil rabbit, I have come merely to deliver an invitation." he explained holding out a small envelope.

Shade eyed the rabbit suspiciously before taking the invitation. "Well see about that..." Shade gingerly opens the envelope and reads the invitation. "Alright this is proof enough for me, your not an evil bunny after all. Off to the disco!" Shade shouted enthusiastically as he hobbled across the room.

"Dear chap, how do you plan to dance with an obviously injured foot?" the rabbit enquired.

"Good question, I also just relised I don't know how to disco." Shade added, his expression one of deep thought and worry.

In an explosion of light a plump motherly looking woman with wings appeared "Cinderella you shall go to the ball!".

"Why it's the fairy godmother good chap" said the rabbit as he excitedly jumped up and down knocking over the pile of books Shade had dropped. Which fell ontop of the unfortunate rabbit.

"Tis indeed eh what?" Shade agreed in a faux british accent for no particular reason.

Spotting the invitation the fairy god mother snatched it from his hand and read it. "So you wish to go to the disco, yet have not the moves?"

Shade nodded "That's exactly right, but why did that last bit sound like Yoda?"

"Never you mind! Now hold still..." she warned as she raised her wand and cried "Dibbity dobbity doo!"

Shade's clothes magically transformed into a 70's disco outfit. "Wow, outdated!" Shade exclaimed runiing a hand along the line of the clothes to feel the smoothness of the fabric. "Though I must admit I do feel quite funky".

"Outdated indeed, these are the disco clothes of funky +5." She explained her face suddenly turning dead serious the motherly appearence drained from her features to that of a serious old woman. "Now listen to my warning well the spell will only last till midnight where upon your clothes will turn back to jeans and a t-shirt."

Shade shrugged as bent down to rescure the rabbit from under the pile of books "I fail to see the problem"

The fairy godmother sighed spinning her wand on her fingers "Then you will forget how to disco and look stupid"

"Oh well, will this chnage your mind?" Shade asked standing up straight before producing a fifty from his pocket and handing it to her.

"Take as long as you like" she answered before dissapearing in a flourish.

"I do belive you just up and bribed the the fairy godmother" The rabbit exlaimed eyes widened in surprise.

"Quite" Shade chimed before running out the door to the disco.

Shade burst into the foyer just as the music reached a crescendo, Shade rythimacally made his way to the dance floor. He nodded slightly in greeting to the host and gave a small amused smile at Macross before joining in.

Wyv

"Alllrrrriiiiiiiiiiight!" Wyvern struck a wide grin and flashed a claws up to Marcos, flapping his wings to the flashes of bright disco color. The overgrown lizard had only a moment to glance up at the grandiose disco ball as Nessa pulled him back into an energetic elven twirl. Wyvern faked a Tarrantino-style hand motion in order to wipe the sweat from his scaly brow inconspicuously, not wanting to reveal to Nessa that he'd broke a sweat. He waved towards Achithyn happily as he noticed him sitting near the refreshments table, then scrunched his wings to grind his back against Nessa's as best as he could. The lizard's eyes widened as Discotheque Shade made his triumphant platform-shoe entrance, and the musical chimes seemed to go into all-out Saturday Nighty Fever mode as folks began pointing their fingers up and down. "Woooooo!"

Wyvern glided with Nessa in the direction of the refreshments table, then came to a quick stop and panted for breath as he reached the food and drinks. He grabbed two bottles of Bruteweiser and popped them open with his horns, then downed the two of them simultaneously in an overflow of booze. The lizard handed Nessa a bottle along with a clawful of curly onion cheesedoodles, then raised another bottle to toast.

"Thankssss to all of ya guys for coming out." Wyvern grinned and scooted some curly onion cheesedoodles over in Achithyn's direction. The lizard marveled at Shade's extra-funky disco chains for a moment, then turned his eyes away from the dancefloor as Marcos began to raise his black robes again. "To be clear, though, thisss party is entirely in honor of Arcane Artistry! I'm heraldin The Mighty Pen, and we wanted to celebrate our appreciation for your community while adding you to our Lissst of Useful Links. So don't give it up fer me, give it up for yourselves! Y'all are an awesome group of people. Rock rock on!"

Wyvern took a long swig of a brew, only to cough and sputter as he spotted what appeared to be a fairy godmother of some sort wearing an outdated dance gown. She was making her way onto the dancefloor, and a trail of dancing arial rabbits was following behind her...