The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

In search of revenge.

Silver Dragon

The night wore on and as the sun began to show its head on the horizon Silver opened her eyes to great the horribly cheery morning. As it was she hated mornings like this, despised them was more like it. Rising from her bed above the tavern that she managed to find a room in that night. Washing her face and donning her long black cloak she headed down the stairs to enjoy a drink before determining her next course of action.

When she arrived at the lower level the noise of the morning petrons engulfed her. Finding a table somewht off to the side she waved over a serving woman and ordeered a meal and a glass of wine. As she waited for the food to arrive she listened to the morning tales of the locals. Eating her food in solitude she suddenly realized that she had decided to travel on to the next town. This country was new to her and though she did not know the names of the towns along her way she seemed to know where she was going. It seemed that only yesterday she had decide to go after the men that had killed her father and though it had been months since her departure from his cave she could still smell his blood from where the men who had slain him had passed through this very spot.

Finishing her meal she returned to her room and gathered her things to be on her way. Her pet dragon Seyan came to her upon entering and retreated to her hair for the long journey that was still ahead of them. When she left the tavern she still felt as if there was a long way yet to travel. Heading on down the road she soon was encompassed by the forest. The locals told of horrible things in the forest, but that was of no concern to her, for they had also said that it was the fastest way to the next major city, and that was where she was headed.

OOC: since I had nothing in mind really when I wrote this just have fun but do try to follow my lead here please?

Edited by Silver Dragon

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You know," a light tenor voice called out from behind the claoked lady. "There are some pretty dangerous things in this forest. I might be one of them... But, I suppose you should consider yourself lucky that I'm not. You don't exactly make your way spritely throug hthese trees, now do you?"

He stepped out in fron of Silver (though he did not know her name), and bowed, his ebony hair falling over his face before he brushed behind his head again. "Allow me to introduce myself m'lady. I am Damon. I've not often come a cross a traveler during my time here in the forest, but when I meet one I like to have the company."

He glanced at her equipment and nodded. "It seems you are looking for something. People do not generally come into the forest armed if they are a mere merchant or traveler. As I have nothing better to do, and I believe it is time I actually leave this forest, I might ask if I may join you in your travels? Your business is your own, but surely the things you may find in this forest you would not be able to handle alone... I'll let you think about it, but in the meantime would you mind if I walked with you?"

As Damon stepped out of the woods and introduced himself she wondered where he had come form. This man seemed qiute odd to her just walking out ing front of unknown people that way. If he had not been as stealthy as he was and she not quite so intent on her journey he may not have surprised her the way that he had. It had been so long since she had had company that she figured it may be a nice change for some. Blanking her face so as to not let him know that he had starled her she graciously replied, "Of course you may travel with me, although you may find that i am not quite as helpless as you may have first believed." Looking at him as if he should have noticed before she opened her wings to thier full extent. With the unveiling of her large silver wings she said," If you had not noticed I am half-dragon. " As if her words to the man had caused a leash to come undone Seyan poked he small silver head from under the long locks of silver hair that fell just below the womans shoulders. As Seyans hiss Silver began to calm the timy silver dragon. "People call me Silver." she said. "I have been alone for far too long it is about time that I saught some company and if you were a very bad person my little girl here would have attacked you instead of hissing. She only did that because she does not know you."

With that she turned and headed off down the trail not waiting for him. If he were to travel with her he would just have to kepe up

Damon blinked in response to the unfolding of Silver's wings.

"Well, i thank you silver for allowing me to join your party. Perhaps i misspoke when I may have implied that you were helples. Few people who have the gall to come into these woods are helpless... well, those who make it this far in."

He struggled for a second, hunched over, and two black leathery wings sprouted from his back with hardly a sound and a small amount of blood.

"Your race does not surprise me in the least," he said, still hunched over. "And in fact I am happy to be able to reveal my true self. Humans despise me, so i must follow under that guise."

He stood mildly tall, a full 5'9", and his eyes had changed from a light blue to a shade of black that matched both his hair and his wings. "It might give you some suspicion of me to tell you that I am a demon, but i have been alive for so long that i have forsaken the idea of wanton destruction and chaos. Thousands of years and what seem like unending screams are nothing more than a bother to me. It is for my reformity that I have been shunned from the Abyss, and should i return I will be executed. So, I kept to myself in this forest for the last few centuries, and you are the first non-human to come through here on a... mission it seems."

(OOC: For the whole character description... see my avatar...)

Myriddin looked up quickly from his place in the dark corner of the room at the sound of wings. He had heard that sound many times before, enough to know it was wise to step carefully around creatures that made such noises. As he looked at the lady he started in surprise. Not what he had expected. There was something in her eyes that he seemed to recognise. A few moments later he realised what it was, it was the sight he saw every time he looked in the mirror.

Carefully he stood up and took up his staff from where it lay by his side. Sheathing the sword he had been polishing under his cloak he walked over to the group. Maybe they could lead him to those who he sought.

As he left his corner his brow furrowed in concentration and his amulet shimmered slightly as he cast the smallest of spells before walking over to the two people.

As he approached they saw a black robed figure, back bent with age leaning heavily on his staff. A grey beard ended in a point just below his collar, where there lay a common medallion the like of which could be bought at any shop. No weapons were visible, unless you could count the staff.

"I couldn't help over hearing you" he said in a wheezy voice. "Though I'm old I still have a few tricks up my sleeve that may be useful to you, if you will have me." He snapped his fingures and a ball of fire matirealised in the palm of his hand.

"Will you accept me?"

(OOC: How'd we get in a room? Oh well... Just in case you were wondering, i think we're in a forest... I'm not sure.)

"Well, old man, I see you have the talent of illusions at least." Damon commented dryly, pulling his wings back into his body. "I have found little use for them in the past, but it is amusing at best." He paused, staring into nothingness for a moment, as though he was wracking his brain for some hidden thought.

"Actually, I've found that illusions can be useful... I hope you can forgive me, I've lived more millenia than you could dream, so it takes this old rust bucket of a mind to recall some things. I must also apologize for my rudeness. My name is Damon. Whether you overheard it or not is of no matter, as you have already seen what I am. This, my elderly friend-in-question, is Silver. She tells me that she is half-dragon. We are a motley little partnership at the moment, one created of various races and no particular goals. Well, Silver has a goal, I think."

He muttered a few words to himself, unintelligile to the untrained, but it would appear to Myriddin that he was casting a detect magic spell on the medallion. "That's a curious item you have there. It is not as ornate as i would think that a magic item would have. Might I ask you it's function? I should also inform you that it is Silver's decisiosn whether you gain acceptance into our band..."

(OOC: Just out of curiosity, did you get your name from the new MTG expansion...?)

Myriddin chuckled to himself and straigtened, a grim smile on his face.

"I'm glad you could so easily see through that. You'd be surprised how many people it has fooled."

He pulled up a chair and sat down, holding his staff lengthways in his lap.

"My medallion is a symbol of an old order, the Order of Witch Hunters. I am the last of them. I've been hunting the ones who destroyed it for a long time now. The medallion serves as a focus point. It has no power of itself, it merely helps me concentrate and remind me of my purpose in life. As for this staff...I have no idea what it's properties are. I found it in a cave I took shelter in one night. It seemed to call to me."

Myriddin stared off into space for a moment, recalling old memories before shaking himself.

"Forgive my test but it was needed. There are many fakes on the roads nowadays, and the ways of chaos are not easily spotted. Just as I am chasing those who killed the rest of my order, so too am I being hunted."

Myriddin chuckled again, a deep mocking sound and looked deep into Damon's eyes and into his soul.

"Interesting. I have never met a demon with such intelligence before. Nor with such morals. You will be a rare companion indeed, if I am allowed to follow of course."

(OOC: The name is latin for merlin. I use the name as a sign of respect for the bird of prey, not in reference to the mage of legend.)

"Hn..." Damon looked thoughtfully back into the wizard's eyes, knowing that Myriddin would fail any soul-searching atempt. Demons held no souls except for the ones they stole, traded, tortured, sold, ate... They did not have any of their own.

"I suppose it might not do me any good to tell you that i was once, a very long time ago asked to dispose of someone who might have been a member of your order. It was not out of malice, but rather from authority from the Abyss. That was centuries ago though. Perhaps my employer once had a mortal contact, and so the hunt is back on again. I might be able to help you find who you are looking for, if you could forgive me for slaying... a great deal of your Order's ancestors."

"I should inform you that I have forsaken all of my old ways, as you may have overheard, and that a companionship may be possible. I'll tell you what. in exchange for your forgiveness, I will asist you in hunting down those who originally made me destroy so many. Whoever did it was not human, and so they may still be alive, and I will help you kill them... I do not know if Silver would allow your company, but as i am in his comapny, you may join me? Do we have an agreement?"

(OOC: Plot twist out of an undefined plot... Also... I didn't know there was such a bird... interesting.)

"Tell me Damon, what would you say a soul is? Who hands them out? Where are they made? It is my belief that morals cannot exist without a soul to hold them together. By reforming and holding to those morals and principles I believe you have CREATED a soul. Those who obey without question, hesitation or thought, those who are empty and beyond redemption, they are without souls, and I pity them.

"As to killing former members of my order? I may be said to have killed some of your kind, though I imagine they were no where near as powerful. The only reason I seek revenge on those who destroyed my brethren is because I saw what was done to them when I entered our home after my wanderings. I saw the blood and the empty husks. I saw the profanties and vulgarities sprayed across the walls in blood, and at that moment I knew I could never truly progress, that I would have to live forever under the motto 'Es nil hesrl.'

"I would gladly accept your company, and I sincerly doubt that forgivness is needed."

At this Myriddin slowly began to recite his creed.

"What is it to be a Witch Hunter?

To toil endlessly against the dark.

What is it that we cannot forget?

We are all but one step away from the pit.

Who then are we to judge and condem?

The death of a thousand innocents is far better than the survival of the damned.

Do we bear our burden lightly?

Our destiny is a cruel master who we dare not ignore.

What then will be our reward?

We ask for none, and none is recieved.

When can we ever stop?

When the cold grave eternal calls us to rest."

Myriddin smiled mockingly at the end of his recital.

"We, our, such words have no meaning any longer for me and yet still I cling to the creed. It will never be forgotten for as long as I live, and I intend that to be a VERY long time."

(OOC: I'm starting to enjoy this, I admit I had my doubys :) )

Looking over her shoulder at the odd pair that had joind her she curtly replied "I care not who joins me so long as they step llively. And I am also glad to see that I shall not have to be seperating the two of you." With an indignant squak from Seyan (Silvers tiny silver dragon) she strode on down the path deeper into the woods.

As the sun began to sink into the sky Silver began a search for a place to camp, frevently hoping that the two comapnions she had aquired had brought food for themselves and that they would do their fair share of the work required at night.

ooc: Darlin' we are in the woods. But if you would like to me in a tavern i'm sure that my char. would fly you there with a little prodding. :) oh and no she will not always be this mean.

Edited by Silver Dragon

Myriddin muttered irritably under his breath, planted his staff firmly on the floor of the tavern and concentrated. As he began to mutter syllables under his breath strange symbols started to surround him and his staff began to glow, half white and half black seperated by a strip of metal. The locals in the tavern hastily pulled away from him-they had seen his medallion and knew the reputation of the Witch Hunters.

Gradually Myriddins form began to shimmer as his transportation spell took effect. Then with a loud POP he vanished, to reappear along side Silver and Damon. The locals glanced at one another, then hastily ordered another round of drinks.

"Sorry it took me so long to catch up." He said, smiling mockingly at his fellow companions.

(OOC: Fly indeed...HAH! :P )

(OOC: you know what's good about incubus... teleport without error at will... i base my spells and characters off of D&D... it gives me a reference point)

Damon glanced at the reappearing Myriddin, blinking. "Well, to continue our little conversation, friend. i would have to contest the fact that I do not have such petty things as morals. i'd still kill without a second thought, and I am not exactly completely reformed. It' simply easier to get along in this realm without continuously being hunted... I have to apologize for arguing, but indeed, if I did have a soul, I would no longer be a demon, nor would i still have an existence. Those who shunned me from the Abyss would have noticed my soul, and they would have killed me. In addition, one is mortal to have a soul, and I, friend, am not of that category. Again, I apologize for contesting your theories, but I am quite adamant in conflict..." He paused, looking thoughtfully. "Perhaps, however, there is a certain... something that keeps me from killing all that lives, but it surely is not a soul. I would guess it's boredom of killing so much..."

With that, Damon hunched over once again and his leathery wings sprouted from his back. He fluttered among the canopy, stealing dead branches and dropping them on the ground. He flickered for a second and appeared next to Silver as she was still walking. "Firewood. This is a good spot to camp at. I just hope the wizard knows a fire spell..."

He looked back at Myriddin and then once again regarded Silver. "By the way, that teleporting was what caught you off guard, in case you ever considered cursing yourself for being surprised."

(OOC: Demons don't need food! Yay! >^_^<)

Edited by Damon Inferel

Myriddin chuckled and mumered "Argue all you like Damon, neither of us will give ground, and a world without conflict would be dull indeed."

Myriddin frowned at the pile of wood Damon had collected then seemed to consider something. Shaking with silent laughter he shook his head and began to mumble a series of sylables, creating white symbols around his hands. With a small tossing gesture he threw a small fireball into the wood and watched it catch instantly, the faint wind stirring the wood and making sparks rise into the sky.

Sweating slightly he leaned heavily against the tree before sinking to the ground. A strange hum as of a thousand voices ran through the small campsite and a faint glow surrounded Myriddin before dying away. The tree he was leaning against enveloped him protectivly and hid him from view.

"Enjoy the fire, my companions." Myriddins voice sounded weary.

"Interesting..." Damon commented, watching his new companion, or vice versa, disappear into a tree. He chuckled a little. "I'd almost think you were a druid my friend. Sadly, your age defies that nature. I have to wonder if these spells are physically taxing on you as well. You seem very tired with casting only two spells."

He turned to Silver as he sat by the fire. "You know, I had said that your business is your own, but I might at least ask you where we are heading. It will be a day at least before we leave this forest, especially if we rest now, so I need to know where you are trying to get. I know this forest like I know myself, and I can point you in the right direction."

The sound of Myriddins mocking laughter came from the oak tree that had surrounded him.

"Just how old do you believe I am Damon? And it appears that some illusions do affect you, when you aren't on guard for them. I will set wards around the camp. As both of you are magic users you'll notice them as red symbols, a staff surrounded by seven circles. Please, Damon, do not walk over the seals, they are set to trigger if a creature of chaos crosses them."

Damon paused at Myriddin's laughter. "Hn... You have captured my curiosity with the comment involving illusions. You are not as old as you appear, are you?"

He stood and walked to the tree and proceeded to tap on it. "You wouldn't mind showig your true nature, would you? I am quite curious, and if I am right about your illusion, then there is no need for your 'age' to slow our travels..." His voice was calm, almost uncaring of the whole situation.

It had taken him centuries of practice to hide the effect of irritation, so it would take someone of profound experience to realize that Damon was not pleased with the 'prank' he had been decieved by.

(Demons have pride too! >:_:<)

"Myriddin chuckled wryly as he emerged from the arms of the oak tree. Why not, we ARE travelling together after all."

Myriddins form shimmered and standing before Damon was a strongly built man standing just over seven feet. A hard face supported a dark black beard, the same colour as his shortly cropped hair. Piercing blue eyes glittered from beneath black eyebrows, though the eyes seemed troubled as if from some inner torment.

"You are indeed correct, I am not as old as I appear."

Myriddin smiled mockingly.

"I imagine I am older, though that would depend on your guess. The fireball, just as my illusion, was also a test. Remember that we are tested everyday in many different ways, and failure in such tests may well lead to the introduction of more chaos than the world can support."

Myriddins look became fierce.

"Hear me demon. Though I doubt I equal either your skill or Silver Dragon's I am still a force to be reckoned with. Make sure you do not fall back to the ways you first followed. I am no weak in combat magician, nor am I a druid relying on nature. I am a Witch Hunter, despised wherever I go. But enough of such talk, threats are wasted energy, and as I said I doubt I could match either of you."

So saying Myriddin moved closer to the fire, gesturing negligently and increasing the temperature.

"Remember my warning about the wards Damon. Oh, and my real name is Heinrich, he said in passing, Myriddin was who I was before my brothers were destroyed."

(OOC: Now that I have found my Dungeons and Dragons books I'll mainly be using the spells I have found in them unless I am forced to look somewhere else for knowledge. I'm also wondering how in blazes a human such as myself will be helpful to a damned big demon, dragon and pet dragon. Hopefully we'll find that out later.)

Edited by Solivagus

(OOC: Meow! I'll explain stuff later... even though tis isn't my RP)

Damon's eyes reflected a small amount of surprise, but he did not step back from what could almost be interpreted as threats.

"Hn... I imagine you are much older than you first appeared, perhaps through some form of magic. humans do not generally live as long as you seem to have. Your soul has a vast amount of wisdom to it, and there is still power you haven't used yet."

The demon contracted his wings, and approached the new man, Heinrich, with pleasantness. "In fact, Heinrich, I would say that you are formidable enough to compare to the two of us. Perhaps some time you and I might engage in a duel, a sparring match. Not on this night, but I should like to see the potential of a Witch Hunter who has survived the ages. I am quite the honed swordsman, and you should not find me to be weak in my magical properties either. None flashy, as you might say, but I do know the tricks of the mind... enough to control them should I choose so. But, as you say, threats are wasted. I've grown tired of boasts and empty threats over the past millenia."

Damon smirked, the fires of the camp reflecting in his eyes as though infernal flames were in them. "Competition, someday, with you. I doubt that it would be unenjoyable... And I shall heed your warnings. You may sleep when you wish. I'll not betray you or Silver. Tomorrow, I am guessing by Silver's determination, we are moving again."

(OOC: Well, humans aren't exactly weak. In fact, fiction very rarely depicts non-humans defeating non-humans. It is a known fact of myth or legend that the human has overcome all oddities and obstacles. your character will do very well.)

Carefully listening to their conversation, while seeming to be consumed in sharpening her sword she whispered something to Seyan and shortly there after the tiny dragon flew from sight only to return moments later with a two rabbits for the fire. As the two finally grew quiet she looked up, her silver eyes glowing in the firelight. "As to what my object is here I am hunting the men who killed my father. It could not have been a mere man though for he was a very old silver dragon. They did not pass this way; they went around the forest, but from their trail where I left off they were headed to the other side of the forest. I can still sense my fathers blood on them. That is how I track them even though i am months behind them."

With that she went back to sharpening her sword. At the two mens stares regarding her sudden interest in speaking she said, "If you do not wish to go with me now I shall understand, but the company is nice to have, even if the two of you are going to have to be broken up constantly." With that she pulled a small spit from her backpack, skinned the rabbits, and put them over the fire.

The night lengthened and when Seyans rabbits were cooked she took one for herself and gave the other to Heinrich. "As it seems that you do ahve to eat here eat this, Heinrich, or what ever your name is." Sharing hers with Seyan she finished her rabbit in silence. "I do hope that the two of you shall stop this quibbling some time soon." Looking at the Witch Hunter she added "How old are you really? With all the tricks you have tried to play on us it is becoming harder to believe you. So out with it or I may decide to leave you behind being as you do not know my intended destination." With that she settled back and waited for his reply.

OOC: My powers are limited as I am only half dragon. I go by D&D rules more often than not myself. So you see a "mere human" shall be helpful I am sure."

"Blunt and to the point, travelling with you should be interesting. The demon and I have put aside our differences for now, there's no need for you to worry about us fighting." Heinrich grinned and tore at the rabbit. "Thanks for the food Sayen."

Heinrich carefully went into a trance and the golden glow surrounded him accompanied by the hum, louder than ever. There seemed to be some sort of discussion going on between Heinrich and another entity or entities. Eventually he left his trance and opened his eyes again.

"I have 'existed' on this world some five thousand years, suspended in stasis outside of time when I am neither threatened nor needed. As to my age, the years at which I have travelled this land, they number two hundred and thirty one."

Heinrich laughed.

"To elves I am a mere infant. Ask more questions if you wish, I will answer to the best of my ability."

(OOC: Um... Er... huh? Just kidding, I'll follow.)

Damon put a quizzical look on his face, his eyes flickering back and forh to himself. "We actually had differences? Hn... Well, in any case, Miss Silver, I suppose we could say that we have put them aside, as Heinrich has so put it."

He muttered to himself for a moment, thinking nothing to himself and saying nothing to anyone else. This lasted for less than ten seconds. "Heinrich/ Myriddin... Hn... I wonder, do you feel as though you may have made a mistake by holding yourself outside of time for such a lengthy period of... time? As you have rested, the world has moved in a number of ways, and there have been a great deal of those who hold wisdom you might have been able to acquire. If you are going to live forever, why do you not seek to better yourself through both physical and mental prowess, much as I have done. It is true that as I am timeless in my nature, and I need not to preserve myself in such stasis, and thus I can say that I have had time to learn from the past many mistakes and time to improve myself, though still clinging to my chaotic nature. This is not a gloat, but rather a point. Humans hardly ever live beyond a century, so your seeming 'immortality' must be magical, and not genetic. Thus, with your expanded age, you might have been able to continue your... training, so to speak, and you would, possibly, hold the power to avenge your brethren with ease. In short, I am wondering why you have not done so?"

(OOC: I hope I didn't repeat myself... But, yeah... I ask long winded questions. It's supposed to reflect my character's patience, I guess... Or, I'm simply trying to fill the space in this little typing box so I can click the 'Show signature' and use less space... Stephen King is a good writer... >^_^<)

As the sun rose over the trees it made a firey ring on the horizion. Silver woke from her slumber and began making her preparations to leave. While she was readying her things to leave Seyan appeared from her morning forey. Chirpping at her the little dragon took up her accustomed place under Silver's hair. Not bothering to check if the others were awake she set about preparign her morning tea, making a small fire from the coals that were left from the night before. Slowly sipping her tea she waited for the others to begin stirring so they could set off for the day.

Adglomero flew slowly over the forest beneath her, the wing muscles of Hiemalis, her Roc, giving her a strong sense of power. She wasn't exactly in a hurry, but she was concerned. She had been supposed to meet him in a tavern some days ago but when she had arrived all she found was disturbing rumours of magic. Her elven eyebrows sloped into a frown as she remembered his warning. Suddenly she felt a prsence in her mind.

Sorry I couldn't stay and chat.

Well at least now I know you're nearby.

You can't come with me on this one Adglomero, it's too dangerous.

I can handle myself now, I've passed the third circle.

So?

She felt anger flare in her heart. So I've found you! she yelled, both through her mind contact and out loud in triumph. Hiemalis let out a shrill echoing cry and began to circle towards her friend.

The Roc landed gently with only the lightest stirring of leaves as it touched the ground. Quickly she was off and running to him then suddenly stopped short is Hiemalis let out a cry of anger. Quick as a flash the bird shot away towards a hunched figure, hatred in its eyes. The robed figure Adglomero had been running to quickly uttered a bird like cry of both warning and greeting, and the Roc stopped short, looking enquiringly at the speaker. Catiously, now, Adglomero approached the figure.

Edited by Vanessa

Heinrich looked with amusement as Adglomero approached him.

"Ado-" Quickly Heinrich cut off her hesitant greeting.

"Link with me." He said firmly, and held out his hands.

"After all I've achieved you still-"

Link now! The mind thought was like a whip and Adglomero flinched instinctivly, seeking for his hands.

Gently but firmly he grabbed her hands and eased her into his mind fully. Time and space seemed to warp around her.

She felt herself returning to a castle to find only ruins.

She felt herself falling and running and being chased.

She felt herself escaping and turning into the hunted.

She felt the meeting of new companions and explantions.

Most of all, as always, she felt one strong word, "Duty".

With a jolt she felt herself pushed back into her own body.

"And that's how things stand now, Adglomero. Now do you understand why I said it was too dangerous?"

Still disorientated she replied. "You taught me to search out danger and better myself, remember?"

Heinrich sighed and waited for Silver to lead, a look of mock resignation and despair on his face.

Edited by Solivagus