The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A Quill Quest for Annael

Gwaihir

You Annael have requested that a Quill Quest be given to thee, so hereby I

...ok I'll quit speaking like that now.

Annael, your quill quest is to go the large and mysterious Elder Treasurebox and pull out an item. Describe it in detail, tell us about its properties, get creative and when you're done it will be awarded to the winner of the above Contest.

Peredhil wanders in to listen and finds himself confoozled.

After Annael marches off, he poses some questions.

~~~

Approaching the Lore Master's Proclamation Throne, with the disembodied greenish giant head of Gwaihir floating above it, Peredhil stammers out his first question.

Erm, Great and Wonderous Lore Master, Is there a description of the Treasure Chest?

The flames roar and he leaps back as the Voice roars, "You dare to question the Great and Powerful Lore Master!"

"Meep. I'm sorry. What Contest?"

Again the flames roar and the ground shakes. The curtains ripple and reveal Gwaihir :wizzie: and several Wiggly :wigglycabbage: Cabbages working dials, levers, and footpedals wildly.

"Ignore the Elf behind the Curtain! The Quill Bearer knows of which I speak! Get thee away, and your little dog too!" At this last, even the Wiggly :wigglycabbage: Cabbages stop their rippling and everyone looks at :wizzie: Gwaihir.

"Little dog?"

The flames roar wildly and Peredhil scampers off.

~~~

(Ooo! Ooo! I wanna write a pompous speech!!! Lemme try! :woot: )

"Annael, approach and stand before us."

The Counsel of Elders sat in a semi-circle on the podium on ornate chairs, while Gwaihir stood before the center chair. On the center chair was a small placard bearing the words, "Out to lunch, play nicely kids - Ozy". The only light was a single overhead spotlight illuminating a place before the podium.

Much of the Pen membership was gathered around the shadowy walls, standing as quietly as they could manage. The furious scratching of pens and pencils jotting down inspirations from this awesome event vied with shuffled feet, suppressed coughs and someone with whistle-nose.

Annael quickly stubbed out her cigarette with one spiked heel and glided forward, her winds slightly spread to aid her balance as she walked. Her slightly tarnished halo was cocked rakishly and floated as always with no visible means of support, while her butterflies swirled nerviously around her. This was the first time the Pen had really tried to make a big deal of a Quill Quest since Jechum and his infamous Monty Python Bush ploy.

As she passed the Ancients section just before the light, she sensed Peredhil gathering Will and letting something comparable to a spell flow toward her. If it had been anyone else, her defenses would've automatically engaged, but Peredhil.

She should've smacked him she thought a moment later. His love and admiration, focused and accepted, clothed her with how *he* saw her just as she stepped into the light. She shone with a splendor she hadn't hadn't possessed since she'd fallen. Some of the more demonic spectators quickly put on dark glasses; with great restraint she managed to keep from rolling her eyes. The gleaming angelic robe suddenly fell gracefully with no ashes ground into the fabric. She knew without checking that her halo now gleamed burnished above her head.

With an internal mixture of amusement and exasperation that usually accompanied her dealings with the Polite one, she stopped in the middle of the light. At least she wasn't nervous any more; the only butterflies were dancing, reflecting rainbows, in the light.

"Annael, you come before us a Quill Bearer.

When you applied for Initiate and were accepted, it showed your willingness to stand before our judgement for membership into the Pen is Mightier than the Sword. Your ability quickly made a place for you, and our judgement is ever tempered by the love we bear for the newly come to our community.

"You became a Page, showing increased involvement in the Pen's unique culture, not only focusing on your works, but reaching out to help others through comments and participation.

"As Quill Bearer, you demonstrated did all that you'd done before, and showed by your words and deeds that you understood and embraced the essence which makes the Pen is Mightier than the Sword slightly different than any other place, that unheard vibration which connects us all and cannot be adequately describe or listed.

A long pause. She was beginning to sweat a bit under the light, although according to the old saw, ladies "glowed". She suppressed a smile at the thought, and wished suddenly for another cigarette.

"Now you stand before us ready to take the final step to membership. The Quill Quest is not a reward for past behavior, but rather a recognition of your potential and affirmation of our trust in you for future decisions. As a full member you will have not only a say, but a vote in our future. As a full member, we will count on your support in helping the Pen to change with the times, while keeping the spirit of traditions past."

"Annael, do you accept this responsibility?"

Suddenly the silly ceremony wasn't so silly any more. She was pledging to the Pen a willingness to help it survive, to contribute to the running of its future, not just dipping in to post or sip the nectar of other's works. As a member, she'd have more power than someone who was an Ancient, like Peredhil or Arawn, with her ability to vote.

She felt a sudden longing for a cigarette and hoped her dry mouth wouldn't stumble.

"I accept this responsibility."

"Then know this Quill Bearer. The Quill Quest is your graduate work, a gift to the Pen. In its essence, it is designed to help build the Pen in some way. We call it a gift because leadership is always a gift of service, not a right or affirmation of ego."

She finally nodded as the pause grew uncomfortable. Apparently it was the right response for Gwaihir, no, the Acting Lore Master, continued.

"Annael Quill Bearer. Your Quest is to delve into the Elder's Treasure Box, and from the raw energies of creative chaos contained therein, draw forth an Item.

Once you have an Item, you must discern its properties, abilities, and attributes and present your findings to the Membership of the Pen. Only then will you be a Full Member.

Beware, for if you falter, you may be burned by the inspirations with reside in this artifact. Greed, Selfishness, put these from your heart before you reach, lest your ambition exceed your grasp!"

This last was delivered in majestic tonality, spoiled only slightly by the Elder Wyvern's muttered, "My tail smoldered for a WEEK."

Resplendent in the light, lit as she was by love, she trusted not her dry throat to respond.

Annael clicked her heels, saluted and marched off to the Treasurebox with her butterflies marching on air behind her.

~~~

:zorro

(Just as an OoC aside, I took extreme liberties with Annael. Heretofore, she was running around bare foot and didn't smoke.

But I had this vivid mind picture of her standing, waiting in the shadowy alcove, the arching wings hinted at as a greater heart-shaped backdrop behind her. The sudden glow as she drew one last time on the cigarette lending its sullen red to highlight her angelic face from below, setting the crimson lipstick a shiny black and making red flecks in her ears. Then a falling star as the cigarette arched down, with the point of view coming in as it fell, so the final strike on the flagstones of the floor was like a meteor hitting, splashing fire. Point of view pulling outward and the black stilleto steel-tipped heel coming down to grind it out.

Really symbolic fallen-angel stuff.

Then the next image I had was just after I'd sent my love to let her know how I saw her and what I still saw within her - and the luminescent glow around her at the light hit. And stuff.

Umm. So I hijacked the thread and changed her character.)