The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A Contest!

Gwaihir

The challenge part one: Below is a list of references to different pieces in the writer’s workshop. It’s an interesting place and it’s always fun to watch awesome pieces develop there. See how many of the below pieces you can find and PM me your findings when you’re done. I’ll post them all at the end of the contest, because this is also an exercise in creativity. You don’t have to find the poem I was thinking of. In fact, I encourage you to find a piece that isn’t the one I was thinking of, and just make it fit.

I warn you, these will not all be on the first page, so you may want to go down to the bottom and change the “from” pulldown to the ‘from the beginning’, because I did when I made these up.

The due date is in two weeks from today, which is the October 26th.

Note that I’m am not sure how easy or hard these will be, so if multiple people find a reference for every poem before the due date I’ll post more.

I apologize before hand if I seem to be giving a bad summary of anyone’s piece. I might have been thinking of a different piece than yours or I might really have just messed up. Either way, if I displease any authors I apologize.

A poem about the dangers of extinction

A piece about the little people and the big people

A story about being trapped

A poem about the lowering of a zipper

A poem spoken by a miner

A piece about inner beauty and the way it clashes with human greed

A piece about the nearly lost

A poem about being a shadow

An un-commented on piece which includes a growing blooming light

A metaphor between urban pollution and inner confusion

An interesting halted story about elves

The Challenge part two

Pick any piece in the writer’s workshop and put some attention into it. Do some analysis and post at least one suggestion for the author. I’m not going to compare analyses when I’m deciding winners, but you must do one of these to qualify.

The Prize

This is all just for fun, but there is a prize. I will award a unique item from the Elder Treasurebox, found in the highest reaches of the tower, and give it, with some description to the person who finds the highest number of the above references. After that the role-playing is up to you. Use your item, role-play with it. Have some fun!;

[edited to fix dates, thank you James]

If I PM you all of them, and then post on the 9th one to create an advantage - do I win?

Sighs and realizes he couldn't do such a Rude thing.

I haunt the Writer's Workshop, even though I haven't the right mix of talents to do critical help, so I already know these. I'll exempt myself from the contest. I'm too old to play with such neat items as the Elders have anyway.

Wyvern jumps up and down in glee at the thought of a new item to auction off on the black market, but frowns at the notion of having to put any effort into getting it. Rubbing his scaly chin sinisterly, the overgrown lizard quickly rushes into the Writer's Workshop and randomly swipes one of the shortest threads he can find, which happens to be Quincunx's "Passionfruit." Dashing back into the Cabaret Room and triumphantly waving the thread in the air, Wyvern practically crashes into Gwaihir as he points to the thread and exclaims:

"I found it! I found it! I found it first!"

Gwaihir stares at Wyvern glumly.

"You found it Wyvern...? What're you talking about?"

Wyvern grins broadly.

"I found the solution to your Writers Workshop contest! Lookee here!"

With that, Wyvern holds up the "Passionfruit" thread and lets out a diabolical laugh.

"Wyvern..." starts Gwai "I said that the responses to the contest should be PMed-"

"There's no time for that!" interrupts Wyvern frantically. "I can't wait for the unique artifact for a week... the black market season is just coming to an end."

Gwaihir sighs and shakes his head.

"Wyv... if you only have one thread, how can you possibly have found the answers to my contest? There were multiple themes to find, remember?"

Wyvern scratches his head, reading over the contest rules fully for the first time and noting to himself that Gwaihir has a point. After a moment of thought, the overgrown lizard turns to the Loremaster once again and hisses:

"Ahahah... but of course. Allow me to explain: this work contains ALL of the themes you mentioned above. Here's my reasoning..."

The overgrown lizard clears his throat and commences.

1) A poem about the dangers of extinction

"Passionfruit" certainly contains numerous references to the dangers of extinction. The way that the work is posed as a question suggests one's uncertainty about existance. Also, note that the adjective "round" is used for the passionfruit's taste, and is similar to the shape of the Earth. Once the metaphor is made of the passionfruit being the Earth, the dangers of extinction in this piece become apparent.

2) A piece about the little people and the big people

"Passionfruit" contains both "little people" (the tongue) and "big people" (the passionfruit). The little people are trying to make a connection with the big people in the piece by valiently attempting to discover their taste.

3) A story about being trapped

In "Passionfruit," the narrator is trapped due to being unable to find an adjective to describe the taste of the fruit. The fruit is also trapped in a way, as it can find no escape from being eaten.

4) A poem about the lowering of a zipper

Hmmm... well, have you ever had anyone tell you "shut your zipper"? (I know I have all the time, due to my boasting schemes). The "zipper," in this case, refers to the mouth that's opening to bite into the passionfruit.

5) A poem spoken by a miner

Unless I'm mistaken, in the 600th edition of the magazine "Terra Monthly," it was noted that the goblin mining community of Eradication mages were "passionate about fruit." Plus, the eating of fruit can be considered a rather minor thing...

6) A piece about inner beauty and the way it clashes with human greed

In "Passionfruit," the greed of biting into the fruit clashes with the inner beauty of it's taste. The way that the taste is described as something visual, being "round," places an emphasis on beauty and appearence as well.

7) A piece about the nearly lost

In this piece, the taste of the passionfruit is almost lost due to it's taste being left to the reader's imagination.

8) A poem about being a shadow

In "Passionfruit," the fruit mirrors the shadow of the narrator, due to it being specifically-shaped as round which is the exact shape of a goblin miner!

9) An un-commented on piece which includes a growing blooming light

"Passionfruit" is uncommented on (though I may be correcting that shortly), and the fruit is used for light dieting while growing and blooming into ripeness.

10) A metaphor between urban pollution and inner confusion

The tongue and the mouth are representitive of urban pollution as they pollute urban populations with cell phone calls and endless discourse. They are connected to inner confusion due to the confusion of how "round" could possibly be a taste.

11) An interesting halted story about elves

Well... I've often heard that when elves moon folks, a certain particular part of their body ressembles a passionfruit. Perhaps if it were continued, elves would be mentioned... though God forbid if the piece was about tasting those kinds of fruit. ;p

Having ended his explanation, Wyvern pants for breath and turns towards Gwaihir. The Protector of Wiggly Cabbages rubs his throbbing temple and smirks at the overgrown lizard as he says:

"Well... minor logical discrepencies aside, Wyvern, there's one crucial thing you overlooked: the subtitle of the thread."

Wyvern glances at the subtitle and collapses into a sobbing heap.

It read "Not a work in progress."

;p