The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

September 22 1988

Regel

As it is with most people certain dates become important events in one's life. Some are so obvious as to not need any explanation. Most recently Sept 11th, 2001 became one of those dates. For me Sept 22nd 1988 became a day and a time of year that I reflect and remember. After some PM's with a number of close friends that had shared their written words I was inspired to try putting down some of the thoughts and images that run through my head this time of year. I have no real title for it but for purposes of my application I'll call it

September 22 1988

Summer died today,

quietly while the rest of us slept.

Before it could rise to see another day

it fell peacefully into death's cold embrace.

Summer died today,

while the coffee machine brewed

and the alarm clock rang.

The sky still lightening to a songbird’s lament.

Summer died today,

with flowers still in full bloom

and leaves still green in the trees.

The fall has once again come too soon.

I would very much like to join The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword. Please consider this my application to join.

Edited by Regel

*pulls up a chair ans sits with Regel as he waits for wyvern to come in and take a look at the application* i came prepared Hon . *slowly begins to take things out of her bodice and sets them on the coffee table ...cheeze wine and some lovely little crackers * "This should tide us over for a while :D"

With a slow and deliberate gesture the seated Regel reaches into his satchel and produces a dusty bottle of red wine and two glasses. "It's a Barolo I liberated from the cellars of a country I once visited." The two friends were soon sipping wine with their small repast when WrenWind looked at the dusty satchel lifting one eyebrow and asked "What else do you have in there?" Regel met her question with a smile and said "Wyvern has his decanter and I have a satchel filled with items long forgotten." With that they passed some time in silence sipping wine.

Wyvern whistles to himself in an innocent manner as he paces down the corridor leading to the Recruiter's Office, checking off various items on a "Consumer Report Checklist" he's carrying as he briskly arrives at the office door. Sticking the checklist back into the left pocket of his coat while pulling out another legal document from his garmets, the overgrown lizard snickers to himself sinisterly as he pushes open the door and steps into his office.

Upon entering, the reptilian Elder immediatly turns towards Regel and Wrenwind, who are tasting wine and nibbling on expensive cheeses, and exclaims:

"Greetings Regel! Glad you could make it... thanks for keeping him company, Wren. Now then, let's get down to business shall we?"

Regel nods eagerly as Wyvern pulls up an extra chair and takes a seat at the table... The applicant watches in disgust as Wyvern quickly pockets an entire plate of cheeses while stuffing numerous appetizers in his mouth and mumbling:

"First of all *munch* great poem *gobble* certainly *slurp* acceptable material..."

Regel's face brightens up as he hears this, and the eager applicant immediatly exclaims:

"So I'm accepted to the Pen?! That's gre-"

"Not so fast..." interrupts Wyvern in a sinister tone. "Before I can accept your application, we must discuss the negotiations presented in the contract of your using my name in your introduction thread on the Pen. As Alaeha mentioned, it doesn't come without a price..."

A glum look suddenly comes over Regel's face, which causes Wrenwind to look up and exclaim:

"Hey, wait a minute... I don't recall there being any prices for using na-"

"There is now!" interrupts Wyvern, grabbing the bottle of fine wine resting on the table and downing half of it in a single gulp. "Don't worry, the price isn't all that much... all I ask for is the AoA mud wrestling ring, the Grinch, a couple of pounds of chocolate, Wench, and about three jumbo truckloads of beer pretzles."

Regel and Wrenwind gaze at Wyvern with blank expressions, unable to believe that he's actually serious in his demands.

"Of course, if you're feeling generous, you might also want to throw in a few more pounds of chocolate and a couple of tabloid magazines..." continues Wyvern greedily while propping his scaly feet up onto the tabletop and knocking over several plates neatly arranged there in the process. "After you've given me the merchandise, you'll be accepted-"

Wyvern is suddenly interrupted as the door to the Recruiter's Office is kicked open by Melba, the Almost Secretary of Initiates, who races into the office as fast as her legs can carry her. Lifting a gigantic "Anti-Wyvern Mallet" she's holding, the tempered secretary immediatly bashes the reptilian Elder over the head with it, sending him into a state of unconsciousness. Grabbing the legal document from out of Wyvern's hands and swiftly tearing it up, Melba apologizes to both Regel and Wrenwind before stamping Regel's application ACCEPTED and racing out of the Office to perform yet another Herculean task...

;-p

OOC: On a more serious note, Regel, this is an excellent poem... I particularly liked the vivid imagery and the way you ended it. Very well done, and definitely ACCEPTED... Welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) About time you found your way over here, I knew your creativity couldn't stay concealed for too long.. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

I thank you all for your comments. The source of this was the unexpected passing of my father. He was in his 60th year and an epileptic. He awoke that morning to the alarm clocking ringing and the automatic coffeemaker brewing but as he reached to turn off the alarm he suffered his last Grand Mal. This is a difficult time of the year for me as summer turns to autumn. Picture perfect fall days with flowers still in full bloom are bittersweet.