o'er heights and depths unknown.

Now here I stay upon the time,

mine eyes cast still and dull.

What vision clear, once counted mine,

lies held within Sorrow.

© Psimon 04 August 2003

inspired by this pic : Rock of Sorrow

Dresden

O city, fallen city. Once beautiful, content. What tortuous ruin has attended you?

O city, fallen city. Such dark and desperate clouds veil your eyes. See the living stumble among the dead.

Prepare your people, O fallen one. Lower their eyes lest they see your violation.

O city, fallen city. What hope have you to greet the new dawn?

O city, fallen city. Hope falls pale and still, lifeless, as have your children. O sorrow!

Stone lies upon stone no more. Hear the wailing of your mothers.

O city, fallen city.

Wipe the tears from the eyes of your children. They will feel no more pain.

They will hear no more screaming. They will cry no more.

They are at rest.

© Psimon 04 August 2003

inspired by this pic: Dresden

• 4 weeks later...

Another couple of excellent works Psimon!

Really enjoyed the image portrayed in sorrow that the dawn would cleanse the soul of all such thoughts. For me is wasn't actually a sad poem. It stood out quite clearly that the protagonist (or author depending on how it was meant), had the ability to see Sorrow for what it actaully was together with the knowledge that "Sorrow" is only a temporary thing which passes with time.

I enjoyed the reflection in the last stanza which for me lent credance to my thoughts on the poem, but accepted that he was still too caught up in the emotions that come with Sorrow to break free from it despite this knowledge.

I agree with Peredhil in that Dresden could apply to many cities. But I think that the city chosen for the title infers an undercurrent of the complete and unecessary bombing of the city during world war 2. Well thats what I took from it. At that stage I believe the allies had decided to bomb the city to make the advances quicker and to cut off power and a supply route in the general area but the Germans were already under so much pressure from both fronts that their armies were crumbling anyway. As opposed to the bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. The Japanese were already beaten at that point but they refused to surrender and although their infrastructure had pretty much been anhilated - their pride would not allow surrender and it became quite clear to the allied leaders after losing nearly 1 million troops trying to take back all of the islands and the islands of Iwo Jima and Okin Owa (spelling?) that they could not afford similar loss of manpower trying to take the main islands. And hence the atomic bombs became necessary.

See - they inspired me to talk :P

Good poems - keep 'em comin' :wolf: