The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Of Deer and the Green Elderly

Salinye

A friend of mine's husband was asked to give a talk at Church on the topic of "The Atonement". She then told me the talk he gave and I wish to share it here in my own words, because it's just too funny. (incoming a bit of church humor)

So he stands up at the pulpit, and this is how he starts.

"So, today, I'd like to share a few stories I know about deer. When I was a young boy, some friends of mine and I were walking through the wilderness when we happened upon a suffering nearly dead deer. It was lying upon its side eying us. You could see the terror in the poor things eyes, but it was far too close to deaths door to do anything more than pathetically lay there and suffer.

We gathered together and discussed the matter and came to the unanimous conclusion that the civilized, compassionate and kind thing to do would be to put the poor thing out of it's misery. Looking around and weighing our options, we decided that our best bet would be if we stoned him to death.

So, we set about our mission of mercy and gathered all the large stones we could find. Then on the count of three, we threw them as hard as our little child arms could right onto its head. The poor thing groaned and looked at us even more terrified as we continued to try to put this creature out of its misery."

He then goes into GRAVE details of how they continued injuring this deer, finally grabbing a large stone that took all of them to lift and dropping it on the deer's head. (Now at this point, please input little old ladies with blue hair in very modest dresses turning green in their pews.)

His transition from this story was rather eloquent, he simply paused then ended by saying, "And now for another story about deer."

"When I was a bit older I was taken hunting with my father. It was Doe season. About the second day into the trip, I got a doe within my cross hairs. Clutching the trigger nervous, I fired a shot dropping the creature. Grabbing my father I led him to where the creature was, however my excitement was cut short as I noticed small nubs upon his head.

He was not a doe, infact, he was a very young buck, and he was not dead. Looking at my father, I exclaimed, "I have just shot a deer illegally! But I have to kill it! I must kill it! I could get in trouble for this!" Of course he shot the deer and took it home to file away in his mother's freezer. (Input here into your visual that any church going woman over 60 who wasn't green before was now and the previous green ones were fanning themselves trying not to be sick. Bless their hearts! Lol)

Again, here came a pause and the lovely transition of, "And now for my last story about deer."

"When I was grown into a young man I took a small day hike alone to think and reflect on my life. At some point I entered a clearing at the same time as a magnificent deer did. We both stopped barely into the area our eyes locked. We stood this way for minutes. (The deer obviously not used to humans or she would have fled in terror) It was magnificent, beautiful and amazing. Forever will that moment be surged into my memory. I still remember how grateful I was for that rare moment. How much I appreciated it."

It was after this story that he concluded his ten minute rant on deer with the following paragraph.

"...And I liken those stories unto the Atonement. When we are children we sometimes do things that are wrong and we don't realize it, and yet, the atonement is there for us. Then we grow a little older, and sometimes do things that we DO know are wrong, and yet the Atonement is still there for us. Then we grow into mature adults and have enough self-control, will power and good desires that we can fully appreciate the atonement. We can stand in awe of it and take advantage of it allowing it to become a lasting impression upon our lives." (Suddenly the little old women stopped fanning themselves, turned a little bit back to their creamy color and listened with a soft smile.)

**Add disclaimer** Now, I am by NO means preaching to anyone, or trying to enforce my beliefs in any way! My soul intent on sharing these stories with you was because I was so impressed by them!! He was given this assignment, and instead of using common every day ideas and stories, he chose creative true stories from his life. This post was merely for your enjoyment. :0) Anyone who has attended church at any time, probably can appreciate the humor! **End disclaimer**

In my opinion, people will remember this lesson on Atonement longer than fifty others they've heard. (That would be my guess anyway.) I guess it goes to show you that sometimes the messenger IS as important as the message!!

I hope you found humor in this and enjoyed reading it!!!

~Salinye :butterfly:

That sure isn't a story you'd expect to hear at church but(once you get past the first story, I was a little green myself,lol)there's a beauty to it that shows the continuity of nature and the harsh lessons to be learned from it.

I'm an animist so I equated the stories more along a nature angle than a religious one but good stories none the less. And you're right: somehow things become more real...more personal....when you use examples from your own life instead of always writing an interpretation of others. Thanks for sharing.:)

Tyler

:writersblock:

*hugs Wyldpatienz*

Yay! You took exactly from that what I hoped someone would!! Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate it and was so afraid people would think I meant to push a religious message. But I didn't. :0) Just thought that was great!! (I would have loved to have been there to see the reaction lol)

~Salinye :butterfly:

I wouldn't worry much, Salinye. Whatever way you decide to phrase something, I don't think you can offend me, for one. ^_^ Hopefully you got a chance to compliment the preacher on that one!