The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

And I Poked My Head in, Why?

Finnius

Out of a stormy night, or maybe a clear one, or quite possibly it was even day; with light cloud cover and a warm, jaunty breeze, and through the door of the assembly hall of the Mighty Pen, pops a little blue head.

The head is soon followed by a neck, after which comes a body. The head, neck, and body stand nervously in front of that great and hallowed (And long-sought-after.) organization previously mentioned. And when the collected... beings... that make up the Pen's membership have turned, studied, gasped in surprise, or delight, or righteous anger at the intrusion; and when some have snickered, sighed, yawned, or thrown things, the head, and indeed the person; begins to speak.

-------------------------------------------------

*cough...

Hello. Some of you know me, some of you might even remember me. Greetings to those I recognize, and salutations to those I don't. By way of introductions, my name is Finnius.

Or just Finn, or Finny, or "That dirty bastard." People call me a lot of things.

I'm sorry to intrude on what was apparently an assembly of some sorts, although, not knowing what it was, I'm not quite as sorry as I should be. For which I apologize. But apologies aside, I've got news. Not big news, or grand spectacular warnings of impending doom. Just news. And the news is this: I've been wandering down that endless road, searching, trying, and I've somehow found my way back.

Like I said, some of you know me. And I've come back to you.

*Looks around, surveys the room...

Of course, you realize I can't just let it go at that. Endless road, wandering, whatever; you want the meat. The whole shebang. And that's what I intend to deliver. So without further ado... Ok, maybe just a little ado... could someone get me a drink? Scotch... thanks so much. Wonderful. Here it is:

-------------------------------------

So there I was, happily plugging away at some piece of work or another, when disaster struck. Isn't that always the way? Calamity strikes without warning, because if it warned you, you'd duck.

Anyway, it was about two years ago, and I was stable. The geld was flowing, the taxman paid in full, and I had work. Not steady work, mind you, but work none the less. Mainly playing music for the overly-religious, and doing temp work for sundry individuals and/or conglomerates. I was expecting good things out of life.

Well, let me tell you, good things DO come to an end. Namely, the work ran low for a few months straight. Needless to say, my bills did not. Something had to give, and the first thing was correspondence. So I left, without warning or goodbye. Zool would have been furious. At least he had the decency to warn us. The following year would see me cold, hungry, and in the dark more often than not, but I did not despair. That didn't happen until the second year.

To make a long story... well, not so long; a good bit of time went by, pretty much staticly. I got up in the morning, headed out the door, and literaly walked myself pretty much to death, looking for a break. By which I mean selling little soul-chunks for the chance to work. It was fun, in a weird sort of way. (Hey, I got a good story out of it, right? Show of hands, how many of you can honestly say you've slept on a public bench? Ok... never mind.)

Eventually, one of my wildly thrown lines started tugging. I, of course, did not reel it in. I sprang on it like a shark onto a bloody piece of chum.

That was about three months ago.

In that three months, I have discovered the joy of savings, and come to the shocking realization that my former town square had been napalmed into glass, destroying most of my belongings. (Thanks so much, by the way, to whom-or-whatever saved Cerulean's Masquerade.) And all the people, every last one... were just gone.

So I set out again, high and low. I found Tamaranis by sheer luck and asked if anyone was still around. He directed me here, but I lost the instructions. Oh well, at least I had a hint. The Pen; beacon of literary light that it was, still lived.

The Pen proved much harder to track down that I had origionally thought. In fact, between work, something called real life, and the fact that I still don't have a good way to gain access to any kind of information, it took me a solid month.

But one dark night, I stumbled off the road, and saw a door. There was a familiar light on inside so I took a chance and poked my head inside. And the rest is history.

--------------------------

OOC: The preceeding is pretty much true, just (Lightly.) modified to fit the character. It's been a long time, but here I am. I still don't have a PC, although that is likely to change in about five or so months, but I can check sites, and post replies once or twice a week. I can check my mail, and do so on a regular basis, and I will respond to anything sent me as soon as I get it.

The point is I'm back, if you'll have me. Either way, this is at least a hello.

The little woman in the large black cloak blinked at Finnius, digesting both his sudden appearance and his recent struggles. It does take a few heartbeats, but eventually it all sinks in past a rather large pool of exhaustion.

Yui's eyes widened and a smile crept its way onto her face. "Finnius? Goodness... It's been so long." She's rather uncertain whether the bard would even remember her, but she hides it well behind a friendly expression and a respectful bow. "You should never doubt that you're welcome here, so let me be the first of many to greet you. I'm glad you found your way to the Pen, despite the hardships you've faced on the way, and I hope you will enjoy whatever time you can spend here. It is good to see you again, friend."

(Sincerely,

~Yui)

Edited by Yui-chan

Peredhil beams happily as one he has long awaited returns, worn and weary with the world's tribulations writ on his visage.

Guido and Nuncio lead Finnius to the waiting room of Wyvern's Recruiting Office and prepare him a sumptious meal, while Elrohir subtly puts a pad of paper and a pen at his elbow in case he should want to write an Application...

Welcome, welcome, welcome. You don't know how much some of us have missed you. Glad to have you back, on whatever basis.

Finnius has come,

Brings light and joy to my heart -

Haiku's Patron Saint.

-Peredhil

Gwai walks quickly through the writing rooms. He has no time to read them now, he must get to his Wiggly Cabbages. And then he stops in his tracks. Finnius he reads. "The guy who made the really good haikus on the ubb!" Gwai hurries in to say hello.

....my jaw litterally dropped open in shock when I saw your name there.....

Canid is unable to express her surprise and delight at your sudden return... her horror at what has befallen you and her joy to hear you are back on your feet.

Canid bows to the little blue mage, who finds himself quickly overrun with small purple fuzzy things picking through his pockets.:Fuzzy:

You'll find out who they are I'm sure.... :D

WELCOME BACK!!!!

Wyvern dashes into the Assembly Room the moment he hears a strangely familiar voice mentioning the steady flowing of geld... Entering into the large Hall expecting to find yet another scheming opportunity, Wyvern stops short in his path as he recognizes the reclaimed form of the Patron Saint of Haikus, Finnius. Rubbing his eyes and pinching a scale to make sure he isn't dreaming, the overgrown lizard stands in amazement for a good five minutes while gazing towards the legendary Blue Man of Terra... After the reptilian Elder has fully recovered from his state of shock, this emotion is replaced with some genuinely scary almost-dragonic joy. Grinning a full grin of razor sharp teeth, Wyvern throws his arms in the air and exclaims:

"Finnius! This is one heck of a pleasant surprise! I'm very glad to see that you've managed to return to writing and have found the Mighty Pen!"

Having said this, Wyvern rushes up Finnius and gives him several friendly handshakes... The Blue Man anxiously turns a hand towards his wallet and loose change, recalling the wilely ways of Wyvern quite vividly, but is surprised to find that the lizard doesn't make a single gest towards his currency... Pouring a tall glass of Bruteweiser ™ booze from the Endless Decanter and handing it to Finnius, the overgrown lizard hisses:

"Sorry to hear you've been through some hard times... It seems your quality of writing hasn't changed in the slightest... it remains excellent!"

With that, Wyvern turns in the direction that Peredhil is pointing and zooms off towards the currently overflowing Recruiter's Office, a stream of I.O.Us flying out of his pockets as he does so...

OOC: Welcome back Finnius! :) A number of us have certainly missed you, and this is very good news indeed.

Proverty could only enrich a person's soul,

It's only in the bleakest darkness that one could truely see.

Loneliness is a state of mind to allow clear thinking.

and desperate struggling makes everything suddenly prescious

people either came out bitter, ignorant, broken,

or they could finally understanding and cherishs every simple thing in life.

When you were gone, you were missed

now you are here, again we rejoice.

I hope the years has harden your dedermination

but not your heart. The worst will never be over,

but knowing you could probably survive worst is pride in itself.

I wish you prosperity my friend, and not just in your bank account.

from Nortorious LOTG

Edited by Lord of the Gay

Well... having been so greeted, how can I not offer more explanation?

Like this:

At Master Pered's genteel prodding, I've put in my application. It struck me as a bit short, however, so I'll be adding to it at my earliest convenience store. Or something like that. Honestly, it might be tomorrow or next week. In any case, this is why I did not include my e-mail address within the body of my effort, as Good Sir Wyvern so demands of his approachees. I'd also like to open up the door to some collaborative writing, one of the things most missed about the old AM UBB's. Any interested parties should please e-mail me at ninja_bob212@yahoo.com, or just drop me a line here. We'll work something out, just be warned of my somewhat erratic schedule.

One more thing before I go... Patron Saint of Haikus, Terra Lost? :D

Why do I smell Pered in that? Could be wrong... it has been a while. Either way, it's a touching little thought, and I thank whomever is responsible.

Until next time, I remain:

Finn - I'm stunned, almost speechless with delight :P at seeing yer ugly blue mug again. :) It was my unbirthday yesterday. I couldn't have wished for a lovelier surprise. (2 years since The Masquerade - wow, scary.)

Catch up with you soon eh?