The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A Belated Hello

Ayshela

With a weary sigh, Ayshela trudged through the shadows as evening closed in. Seeing lighted windows ahead of her, she changed course slightly to investigate, hoping to find shelter for the night.

"A Cabaret Room, eh? Interesting. Dusty and well worn, but so am I. Oh! And the door opens outward, in case of... altercation. Nice touch, that."

Pulling the door open quietly, she slipped inside amidst the wash of laughter and conversation.

"Hmmm. Sounds friendly enough." she mumbled to herself as she stood in the shadows beside the door. Glancing about, she located the bar at the far end of the room and the bartender, who appeared to be a pleasant person. Making her way across the room almost unnoticed, she reached the bartender just as someone called out, "And who might you be, lass?"

Turning slowly to face the voice, she met a frank smile and curious eyes. "Ayshela," she said, nodding slightly. Caught between conflicting desires, she hesitated only an instant before smiling slightly and choosing both. Turning back to the bartender, she tossed a fistful of money on the bar calling as she did, "Double scotch on the rocks, and a round for the house on me, if you please."

In the ensuing commotion, Ayshela collected her drink and drifted to a darkened table in the corner of the room, where she began to ponder possibilities.

The bartender watched her go, and smiled to himself, stroking his greying mustaches thoughtfully. He then returned to a slightly too innocuous polishing of the bar.

Elsewhere, an overly "generosity"-filled patron yowled in pain as the blade of the scythe belonging to the black-cloaked rat skeleton he'd nearly stepped on went clean through his foot.

No sooner has Ayshela tossed her fistfull of money onto the bar counter than the "altercation" that Pen members had adjusted the door for comes rushing into the chamber. Wyvern had heard the familiar sound of clinking geld from over a mile a way, and had not hesitated to take several illegal shortcuts through the kitchens of Celes Crusador's cafe' in order to arrive at the Cabaret Room as swiftly as possible. Briefly sniffing at the air, the overgrown lizard makes out the distinct smells of 20 seperate geld pieces, each with their own unique scent. Greedily turning towards the source of the smell, Wyvern spots the newcomer Ayshela at the bar and immediatly rushes over in her direction, snatching a chair from directly where Lumpenproletariat sits and pulling it up next to the Honored Guest. Grabbing Ayshela's right hand with one of his scaly red claws and shaking it vigorously, Wyvern smiles a grin of razor sharp teeth and happily hisses:

"Greetings, Ayshela, and welcome to the Mighty Pen! I'm the resident jack-of-all-trades/expert schemer of the community, Wyvern... and as I'm sure anyone here can inform you, your geld is perfectly safe when you invest it with me!"

Upon hearing this exclamation, several Pen members present in the room let out groans and grunts of dismay, causing Ayshela to cautiously pull her bag of money closer to her... Grumbling to himself, Wyvern encourages Ayshela to apply for guild membership at his office before raising himself from his seat and rushing back to his regular scheming.

;-)

The wolf by the fire raised his head at the comotion. The fire light flickered in his yellow eyes as he watched the woman take a lone seat in a dark corner. He would've chosen a seat by the fire himself, but she had style... and a good drink. Hopper thought on this fact a moment before slowly getting to his paws, stretching and padding over to the newcomer.

Eventually, the wolf makes it to the corner, dodging many a falling drunkard and narrowly avoiding damage to his tail. He silently sits at the stranger's feet, his now shaded yellow eye flickering between woman and drink. If the stranger strained her ears and the room were silent (hah) then she might have been able to make out a faint whimpering.

Hey there, name's HopperWolf. We've met, but I think you might have a bad impression of me. I'm not usually so objectionable. Here, I'll let you get me a drink and say hello and welcome! really, welcome to the pen, I'm sure you'll make a fine addition ;)

Ayshela sits enjoying the shadow of the corner table as she ponders where to go and what to do. Nodding to the bartender in thankful acknowledgement of an excellent drink, she looks around the room and is reminded that safety in numbers is merely a popular myth.

She looks Wyvern over closely as he rushes over to her table. Interesting. She looked at him skeptically as he expounded on his "investment opportunities", and politely declined. "Thank you for your generous offer, but i prefer my available funds to be a little more - well, available." As she watches Wyvern rush off to another investment opportunity she makes a mental note to look into this guild he mentioned.

Lost in thought, she didn't immediately notice the wolf padding in her direction. A smile broke irresistably over her face as she noticed him easily dodging the mismanaged feet of patrons trying to find their ways to the door or the closest facilities. Here, now, was an elegant creature. He came to sit by her feet, clear yellow eyes flickering from her to her drink, and she thought she caught the ghost of a whimper as his eyes rested on her glass. Slowly extending her hand toward him, she spoke softly and reassuringly.

"Well now, not only are you a gorgeous beast, you have good taste in drinks as well. I'd share, but there's barely enough left to make a good taste. Would you like one of your own?"

Hearing that faint whimper repeated, Ayshela gently ruffled HopperWolf's fur and headed off to the bar for a refill for herself, and a drink for her friend.

ooc: No worries, HopperWolf. i quite enjoyed the discussion, before life waylaid me and i was unable to get back to it. i did look in on that thread and it's quite wandered from our points of discussion, so i thought it was perhaps better to just leave it be. :) i never once considered you objectionable. Here, enjoy your drink and be at ease. :)

Celes sees the tail of the would-be dragon walking through her café's kitchen and runs after it. When she finally catches him at the counter of the bar, her mind was setted to scold the overgrown lizard.

My café's kitchen is not an highway between the Manor and the Cabaret, you disturbed my cook by doing so. An Elder is supposed to set an example to the younger membership and I doubt that behavior is commendable. Also I'd...

Suddenly, the cat lover extraordinaire stops her scolding and notices an embarassed Ayshela. Celes takes a deep breath and smiles at the newcomer

I apologizes for making you enduring this scene, but that greedy reptile can be somehow a pain in the "derrière". I am Celes Crusader, resident of the Manor of Tongue and owner of its café. Its awalys a pleasure to see new faces and you're right to keep a tight watch to your wallet. Now, if you excuse me, I've got to check over my cook.

The Molière's tongue user heads back toward her coffee while her black cat is playing with the overgrown lizard's tail. After a moment, the cat runs to where his mistress is supposed to be.

Alaeha wanders into the room absently, her mind struggling to find a word that rhymes with "orange". She stumbles into a table and, with a laugh, discards the puzzle, replacing "orange" with "red". Looking about, she spies an unfamiliar face. Listening for a moment, she gathers sufficient information to begin a conversation.

"Welcome to the area, Ayshela! We're always glad to have newcomers... Will you be staying with us, or are you just passing through?"

OOC: Welcome to The Pen. Shall be looking forward to your application, if you decide to stay with us. :)

Celiwyn looks around the room curiously, following Alaeha. Having spotted a new face she smiles slightly as Alaeha greets the new girl.

"They really do welcome new comers here..." Celiwyn laughs as she remembers the crazy greeting she had gotten from Wyvern when she first applied.

Celiwyn sits comfortably on one on the bar stools near Alaeha and Ayshela, just listening quietly, as she is a person of few words tonights.

OOC- Wow... not bad... you should stick around Ayshela...