The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Fire (my application)

Celiwyn pulls out an old piece of paper from her desk, slightly nervious as she reads over it. Her friend Alaeha had asked her to join the pen, but she couldn't help but be slightly worried about posting her work. She smiled slightly, reading over the words in her poem. This was one of her personal favorites...

The paper reads as follows:

Fire

To everyone else it was an empty firepit,

Never to be lit again,

But not to you.

You saw the kindling under the ashes,

Just waiting to be lit once more.

You started sending sparks that way,

Until the tinder caught a flame.

Slowly at first you feed the new light,

Faster as it grows,

Each breath you take feeding it,

Each word helping it grow.

Now the firepit flows,

With a fire blazing strong.

It sends out a warmth all of it's own.

May the fire's light shine in your eyes,

And it's heat warm your soul.

Please continue to feed the flames,

As the fire grows.

~ I love you .~

_________

I wrote this poem almost two years ago. But it's my favorite and I figured it was time to share it with the world. It seems fitting somehow… I have never really posted anything in a board before. *smiles warmly waving* Hello everyone, nice to meet you all.

*bows politely and hands in her entry to the front desk*

Glad to see you finally got around to coming out of the shadows and posting. Don't worry, there's really nothing to be nervous about. They haven't laughed at me either... not even for the poem I posted a while back, Redemption...

You'll do fine. It is a good poem, after all.

Peredhil wanders in, munching on chocolate pieces which have mysteriously appeared in his refrigerator, and reads.

Wow, VERY good. You'll do just fine here.

Looks back and forth and whispers in a chocolate laden breath,

If you read the thread addressed to applicants, you're supposed to post an ORIGINAL work, just for the Pen. I think it's supposed to show dedication or something. I'm not sure.

But it's even better than giving our Almost Dragonic Elder geld for getting in...

I can write something just for the Pen if you like... I didn't notice that... but I thought it made more sense to post one of my favorites... If this isn't quite right I'll retry... Maybe one of my short stories? *smiles warmly and nods* Thank you... I'm glad you liked it... I was afraid I'd look silly posting love poems...

Celiwyn,

I think "Fire" is a beautifull and excellent poem in every sense, and I'll definitely be looking forward to reading more of your poetry. The tone of the poem almost seems to radiate warmth and love, and the entire metaphore of a fireplace for the effort and love of the person the poem is directed to is both intriguing and excellently executed. :)

Having said this, as Peredhil pointed out, the rules are the rules... Despite this being an excellent piece of work, I'd really appreciate it if you could post a new piece written specifically for applying to the Pen. I look forward to reading it, and am certain you'll have no problem getting accepted. :)

*smile* Okay... I can do that... I did miss that clause in the rules I guess... *thinks* Guess it's short story time... or time to borrow Alaeha's rhyming dictonary... Sorry to of misread the rules. *pulls out my writing pad and being writing ideas* I'll be back to try again soon... promise.

With a slight prod from Alaeha, Celiwyn steps back into the office, knocking carefully on office door.

"Sir Wyvern? If your not busy... I'd like to try again."

Blushing slightly Celiwyn walks up to the desk, this time handing over a sheet of paper, the ink still slightly damp. She bows politely and slowly walks out the door, waiting in the hall with Alaeha. If you read the paper it reads as follows...

*Who Sings Now?*

Who sings now I ask?

The Phsyce like maiden?

Her dream is now shattered glass

She used to sing

But now who for?

What joy can she bring?

Eros lives on

Imortal in her dreams

But still no song.

Shakey and afriad, gentle butterfly,

Can you hear the note?

She's asking, praying, hear her cry.

Will you comfort her?

She might try to love

Do you know what you want for sure?

Phsyce, the love so pure

The one he's framed in his heart

The hearts of two he cures.

Hope now fills the lonely heart,

Simple sweet family love.

What a beautiful place to start.

The maiden raised her voice.

Once more she has reason

Lonelyiness is vansihing with rejoyce.

Phsyce, the maiden and their dearest,

Now together they sing

Happiness is now the path nearest.

___

This one's a tad newer, sorry about misunderstanding the rules... I love the poems and stories on this site... Alaeha was right in sending me a link and telling me to look... I'm glad I did.

Edited by Celiwyn

Celiwyn taps her foot patiently while waiting directly outside of Wyvern's office, opting for the inconvenience of standing in the hall rather than facing the awfull stench and unsturdy-looking easychairs present within the office. Gazing restlessly at a large grandfather clock that rests in the corner of the hall, the eager applicant turns to her friend Alaeha with a worried expression on her face, clearly concerned about the amount of time the overgrown lizard was taking in reading her new application. Alaeha is about to assure her friend with words of encouragement when suddenly, Wyvern barges out of the office door with Celiwyn's new application poem in his left hand. Clearing his throat of a few ashes and grinning one of his signature evil grins, the overgrown lizard turns to Celiwyn and hisses:

"Another excellent poem, Celiwyn... Certainly worthy of acceptance, though perhaps you could help me with a little something first..."

Having said this, Wyvern points to one of the names written on the application sheet and mutters:

"I noticed you mentioned Phsyce, the once mortal Goddess who was immortalized by Cupid through his love for her... You also mentioned numerous songs and melodies that aid Phsyce in being elevated from her lonliness to this powerfull state of immortality..."

Celiwyn raises a brow curiously at this bizarre interpretation of her poem, and is about to speak up and explain that the once mortal Goddess' name would be spelled "Psyche" when suddenly, the overgrown lizard thrusts what appears to be a large trombone, several flutes, and an enormous upright bass into the applicant's hands. A bewildered Celiwyn looks at these instruments, and is about to speak up when Wyvern suddenly interrupts by exclaiming:

"If you can play the melody you speak of in the poem to render me immortal, I'll be quite gratefull and will immediatly accept your application!"

Celiwyn starts to speak up once again, both to inform Wyvern that she has no song that bestows immortality and that even if she did, she wouldn't be able to play 5 instruments at once by herself... The applicant has no time to say anything, however, as Wyvern suddenly tosses off his tunic, leaving both Celiwyn and Aleaha in shock as he reveals an ancient Roman toga he had dressed himself in underneath. Flexing and trying to look as fashionable to the Gods as possible in preparation for his immortality, the overgrown lizard tosses on a cheap wreath of laurels, which he quickly finds is infested with millions of tiny green aphids... The overgrown lizard lets out a startled shriek as he notices the bugs, and quickly rushes to the Pen's bathrooms to clean himself off. Celiwyn and Alaeha, who carefully watch the progress of Wyvern's misfortunes, are startled to see that the overgrown lizard returns from the restrooms still covered in aphids, yet even paler than before. The reptilian Elder had forgotten about the enormous gelatonous blob that now infested the restroom area of the Pen...

As Wyvern continues to run around screaming and scratching at his scales to get rid of the aphids, Alaeha decides to take necessary action. Quickly grabbing a super soaker that remained from one of Wyv's previous Pen application responses , the brave Pen member soaks Wyvern to the bone with it and rids him of all the foul insects. The overgrown lizard collapses to the ground, stamping Celiwyn's application ACCEPTED and muttering:

"ACCEPTED... i hate water..."

;p

OOC: On a more serious note... An ACCEPTED application, Celiwyn, welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) Thank you for reapplying and posting another wonderfull poem. Be sure to either post your e-mail address in this thread or mail me at elitwack90@hotmail.com, so I can send you some additional Pen info. Once again, welcome!

Congratulations! Knew you'd make it... They were both very good poems. :D

Now I just need to make you start importing your stuff in here... We need as many good poems as we can get over here, after all... and we're certainly not getting any from me. I'm the one who, even when depressed, can't write free verse.

Alaeha gives Celiwyn congratulatory hugs, while privately scheming to... now do you really expect me to post my schemes and plots out here to be read? ;)

Celiwyn bounces up and down exictedily in Alaeha's arms and she is grinning ear to ear.

"I did it! I got accepted!"

"You did mispell the goddess name though." Alaeha commented with a grin.

"Well, maybe I need to get a better proof-reader..." Celiwyn said in return, playfully shoving my friend. "And you can write free verse... tell you what... I write a good sonnet and you write a free verse and we'll both post it."

Celiwyn turned to Wyvren extending her hand, "Thank you Sir Wyren, I'm honored."

~ My e-mail address is Celiwyn@earthlink.net~

Weather Man

It's raining again,

My hearts tearing again.

You promised me,

Never again would I cry.

But what is running down my cheek,

Moist saltly and bitter sweet?

You didn't mean to,

You didn't know..

Just how fragil,

My heart is so.