The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Non-urgent application

I'm under the impression that you don't have to submit fantasy for an application. Maybe that would be the best move, but... ah, I won't bother you with the long explanation. Here's a quick sample of my writing... not my most riveting work...

Slowly, his hand pumped the gun, hoping that the noise wouldn't be heard by the enemy. Hot, sticky, his wet blonde hair clung to his forehead. Eyes searched the bushes for any sign of movement.

His partner knelt nearby, cradling his own gun in both hands. "Do you see 'em?" he whispered.

The eyes continued to search, slowly, efficiently. "No," he whispered back.

"Maybe we didn't cut them off..."

A hush fell over the hiding place. Their feet moved as quietly as possible along the wooden fence. They brushed stealthily past the hedge leaves. Birds sang overhead, oblivious to the tension below. A sprinkler hissed in a yard nearby. Ciccadas began to hiss in the late summer evening, the sky a deep sunset yellow.

"Iiiiii-keeeer-UMBA!!!"

The boys screamed as, with a battle cry, some one dropped from the trees. Before they could raise their weapons in defense, they felt the enemy's weapon bearing down on them, beating hot splashes against their chests. They retaliated. Two streams of water streaked out at the girl. She stopped pumping the super soaker and dived into the bushes.

"HAH! Nice try!" one of the boys screamed, snuffing water out of his nose.

The girl's head emerged from the bushes, her green eyes smiling brightly. "Actually, it WAS!"

Shouts erupted behind them. The boys whirled, and their eyes grew wide. The entire opposing team barred their way, six or seven water guns spraying together. The outnumbered ones fought back with boyish pride, but they were no match for this volley.

"We win!" The girl jumped out of the bushes again and began a lame dance. She didn't care how it looked. "Oh yeah! Oh yeah!"

"You so fell for it!" the others jeered. The ambushed boys smiled, embarrassed, and argued.

Still grinning, the girl looked down at her watch. She drew in a loud gasp, which was barely noticed in the din. "I've gotta go, you guys!"

"Aww, c'mon!"

"Sorry!" She tossed her supersoaker back to the kid she had borrowed it from. "I've got an appointment in thirty minutes!"

"Okay, bye!"

"Bye!"

"Come back sometime!"

"I will!" She stopped and looked over her shoulder. "We so creamed you."

I have absolutely no doubt - althought is not mine to say and my opinion has no more substance than steam in the wind.

Once the Evil Essays and Exams are beaten back by our Almost Dragonic Elder, I anticipate a plethora of wonderful to read responses issuing past Melba's hennaed hair to warm and delight the Pen.

• 2 weeks later...

Jareena Faye stretches and yawns in her applicant easy chair, slowly growing tired of waiting for the ever-absent Elder of Initiates. Hoping that the greedy Elder didn't take the "Non-urgent" part of her application title too seriously, the eager applicant raises herself from her seat and is about to seek out Wyvern herself when the almost-dragon comes frantically barging into the room. Jareena is surprised to see that the overgrown lizard's scales are colored pale white as opposed to their normal crimson red... The almost-dragonic Elder bows briefly to the patient applicant before collapsing into his desk chair and snatching her application from the top of his desk. Reading over it several times, Wyvern grins to himself greedily, a crimson color gradually returning to his scales. Turning to the applicant, Wyvern snickers to himself and hisses:

"A nice story, Jareena... Before I accept your application, however, I think I may have some products that might interest you..."

Jareena raises a brow curiously as Melba lets out a huge groan from a corner of the room and collapses into a nearby easy chair, preparing for the worst in advertising...

"Products...?" questions Jareena. "This is the Recruiter's Office of the Pen, is it not? If I wanted to buy products, I would've gone to Target and spent much less time wait-"

"Don't worry!" interrupts Wyvern, taking out a large suitcase and undoing several combination locks that secure it's front. "This'll only take a few minutes... besides, at Target, you wouldn't find products like these!"

With that, Wyvern opens the large suitcase to reveal several water guns that rest inside, each resembling a common Super Soaker. Jareena stares at the box for a long moment before finally speaking up and asking:

"So... what's so special about these?"

Wyvern clears his throat of a few ashes, then responds:

"These are special Pen model water guns! This first one is called the Super Soaker O-infinite... It doesn't have the best range or firing power, and it was manufactured very cheaply by yours truly..."

Jareena blinks and questions "Then why would anyone want to buy it...?

"Well, each model has been touched once individually by Orlan, the Sexy Sexy man of Terra! Thus it's sky rocketed in value, particularly amongst the ladies..."

Jareena giggles at this and points to another water gun in the brief case, this one colored dark brown.

"What's special about this one?"

"Well..." replies Wyvern "That one's labeled the Spam Soaker 113. It's a potent 'water' gun as it's actually fueled by spam, which can be refilled easily on any occasion. Comes in two colors: Bullsh!t Brown and Headache Aspiren White. Sells for -2 geld... we're trying to get rid of them."

Jareena nods to this and points to a final water gun that rests in the briefcase, this one significantly larger than the other two.

"What does this one do?"

"That one's the most powerfull of the bunch..." responds Wyvern proudly "We call it the Official Pen Waterlily Soaker... It's normally used for watering the Pen's resident gargantuan plant, Waterlily, which takes an enormous amount of water and force... I think it would be deadly in a Super Soaker battle!"

Having said this, the overgrown lizard aims the Waterlily Soaker at Melba and offers Jareena a free demonstration. The reptilian Elder is about to pull the trigger regardless of the applicant's response when Jareena quickly stops him, politely stating that she didn't need a demonstration as she wouldn't be buying any products today. Wyvern nods to this and grumbles to himself, stamping Jareena's application ACCEPTED.

;p

OOC: A cute story and an ACCEPTED application, Jareena, welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) Apologies for taking two weeks to respond, RL kept me very busy with work the last few weeks. Be sure to either post your e-mail address here or mail me at elitwack90@hotmail.com so that I can send you some additional Pen info. Once again, welcome!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so embarrassed!!!

Wonderful story, and I think our minds must think alike! I fear I did not read this before posting my application, and within mine there is a small diddy that has a similiar feel as your story did. I just wanted to assure you I didn't pirate any ideas. :0)

I read your story just now and thought, "Uhg they are for sure going to think part of mine was a copied idea!" LOL however, scouts honor, it was not. :0)

Great minds think alike, eh?

~Salinye

• 1 month later...