The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Hmm, suppose an application would be good

Seii

Well, I was rather dumb in NOT reading the instructions first. In doing so, I posted a few poems into the Banquet Room without an application to be found... Please take a gander at them, and let me know if I need to submit something more since those are now already up. <_<

Brute smiles as he hands the newcomer a mug of frothy booze. "Oh, I wouldn't worry too much about the order of things around here. True, we prefer people to apply, but it is a free forum, available to any who wish to share their thoughts or writings." With one darkened hand, Brute gently pats Seii on the shoulder while the other hand removes the untouched mug from Seii's grasp. "Although I haven't added any comment on your poems, I did find them to be quite good, in my humble opinion. As to your question of whether you would have to provide another literary example for the application, I believe the answer is yes. Wyvern's a stickler for that sort of thing. Don't despair. I have every confidence you'll do well with the application." Brute flashes a smile from his pale, white face and drains the mug of booze, then wanders away towards the tavern.

edit: Oh, I especially liked Battlecry. :)

Seeing as how "yes, new stuff" is the general consensus...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seii decides to try taking center stage once again. Catching the attention of the room, he speaks. "I seem to understand from asking around that I should 'sing for my supper', as a newbie. I would beg out of song, as music does not seem to flow spontaneously for me. However, I think I can manage a story or bit of poetry or some such." He rummages around in a small belt pouch, pulling a small leather-bound tome out of it. The tome is apparently covered in a highly polished leather, and it reflects the lighting as Seii opens it and begins to flip through the pages. His bright blue eyes twinkle as he stops at a page and looks up. "Now my friends, I will attempt to introduce a bit of mystery to the room. You see, this tome is something that I have always carried, yet I know not where it is from. To increase the puzzle, some of the stories hidden inside seem to be about myself. I have chosen to accept these stories, which do not parallel any events that I recognize, as parables, or perhaps word pictures, as opposed to prophecies or some such. I will, however, let you decide." Looking down once again at the page, Seii begins to read.

"What is it like to be immortal? I will tell you what it is like. Being immortal means you can continue to stumble onward no matter how many sharp, bloody objects protrude from your middle. Sometimes you feel like a practice dummy for the inconsiderate and heartless, but it never seems to affect your ability to simply plod on, one foot in front of the other. Why do I have these daggers constantly pinned into my body, why do I do nothing about them? The simple answer is that no form of retaliation is sufficient. Neither is any retaliation possible against those responsible.

Females, my friends... they are all caused by them, these wounds of mine. I am sure you, the reader, have at least some knowledge of the sheer destructive force these creatures hide within themselves. Yet, it seems to be worth it while they are present. It is a little like dealing with a powerful magic spell, having the sheer LIFE surround you with it's power even though you are almost having YOUR life extinguished by it. They do not know, oft times, what they are capable of. And so they stab, and stab, and stab again. My blood runs to the ground and collects at my feet, yet they know it not. For I am noble, you see. What they do not know and cannot understand cannot possibly help them to do either.

I have always guessed that it was for this reason I was granted immortality. In this life, with this ability, I am able to be totally open and trusting with all when I choose, fearing no consequences save the ones left on my heart in the end. Many friends have come and gone, many a traveling companion have I watched walk into a sunset on their own paths. I know it is for the best, that I do. Always I carry the knowledge that one day I will meet up with my friends again, that those who truly cared will swing 'round a bend and we shall once more join weapons against common foes.

It is this, my constant hope in everything, that has earned me my title. I wish it upon no one, I alone bear it and and the happiness and sorrows that go along with it.

-Seii, Kibou No Denreishya"

Closing the tome with another flash of reflected light, Seii slides the book back into his belt pouch and surveys his audience. "Interesting, is it not? Maybe I'll meet this man who shares my name someday." With a smile and a nod of his head, Seii steps out of the center floor and goes back to observing the people around him.

------------------------------------

Oh yes, and many thanks to Falcon for his confidence. ^_^

Edited by Seii

"I'll drink to that!" toasts the portrait above the fireplace to the stunned silence. Lifting a painted mug in his painted hand, his painted lips find, much to the whole portrait's dismay, that Brute has already drank this booze as well.

"Well..." begins Zool again, wondering distractedly how Brute managed to drain even a depiction of a tankard, "Give the young man some supper then - he has certainly earned it." :)

• 2 weeks later...

Seii, Brute, and Zool's stomachs all simultaneously growl as several weeks pass by and supper in the Recruiter's Office still hasn't been served... The portrait of Zool sighs dismally, staring at his rubber chicken cuckoo clock wrist watch and wondering if perhaps it would be better to order takeout at this point... if those types of restaurants still existed after the enormous amount of time they had spent waiting, that is. Seii stretches and yawns, brushing off the many cobwebs that had gathered on his tunic and thinking about the speech he had given several weeks ago, seriously considering adding "having to wait endlessly for overgrown lizards" to his list of inconveniences of immortality. Brute lays fast asleep at the other end of the table, noisily snoring and taking advantage of Wyvern's long absence to catch up on some dreaming...

Suddenly, the door to the Recruiter's Office slams open and all three of the people present in the office jump in surprise. Zool hits his head against the top of his picture frame, Seii practically topples out of his chair, and Brute is abruptly awakened from a pleasant dream involving drowning in an ocean of booze and loving every minute of it...

At the door of the Office stands the Elder of Initiates himself, Wyvern, wearing what was perhaps once a cooking apron but now looked more like a charred sheet of soot. The apron is not the only thing that is thoroughly dirty, however, as the entire figure of Wyvern is covered from head to toe in soot and reeks of various cooking oils. Even more horrifying than this is the large platter that the overgrown lizard holds in his hands, which appears to harbor a large mess of slime bearing some vague ressemblence to food. The overgrown lizard grins broadly, his yellow-ish fangs momentarily contrasting with the greyness of the rest of his figure, and drops the platter onto his desk before exclaiming:

"Dinner is served! Admittedly, I'm not the best cook, so this recipe took me a couple of weeks to make... but feel free to dig in!"

With that, Wyvern begins scarfing his own food speedily from the platter, having finished about half of it's contents before Brute decides to bravely walk over to the desk to see what Wyvern has cooked up. Eyeing the unidentifiable contents of the platter cautiously, Brute takes one sniff at them, gags briefly, and then immediatly falls into unconsciousness... Though the prophet of booze could handle the stench of the strongest of alcohols, he had yet to master that of Wyvern's cooking...

Observing Brute's reactions to Wyvern's food curiously, Seii backs away a few steps from the platter and asks:

"Mr. Wyvern... what exactly did you cook anyway...?"

Wyvern looks up from the platter, finishing the last of it's contents and rudely belching a few flames before mumbeling:

"Craft Macaroni and Cheese ™... I think I put a bit too much soy sauce and dijon mustard on it, but otherwise it was good as usual..."

Seii and Zool stare at Wyvern blankly for a long moment and Zool's rubber chicken lets out a single, disgusted "cluck..."

Raising himself from the seat at his desk and walking over to a cloths hangar in the corner of the room, Wyvern cleans his face off using one of Melba's dresses and then walks up to Seii while reaching into his pocket for something. Pulling out a stale fortune cookie, Wyvern grins and hands it to the Pen applicant, who cracks it open after a momentary struggle due to it's staleness... The fortune inside the cookie reads:

"ACCEPTED"

:P

OOC: Definitely an ACCEPTED application, Seii, welcome to the Mighty Pen! My apologies once again for the lateness in responding, RL really had me in it's twisted grasp these last few weeks. Be sure to post your e-mail addy here or mail me at elitwack90@hotmail.com so that I can send you some more Pen info... Once again, welcome! :)