the hard packed snowy banks

of pain we never could get past.

And I’m afraid it’s gonna

be a long cold summer,

because just like winter

takes its time in coming,

it’s gonna take its time to pass.

Very very strong symbolism. Very sad subject. :(

I like how you identified it as summer, so that the reader would be sure to pick up on the symbolism and the distinct comparisons to feelings and objects is also very well done. Your poem shows you skill..and you wear that skill well.

Thank you all for the kind words -- this one has been percolating for quite a while and I wasn't sure if it would ever get written.

Crowgirl, your opinions are very much worthy of my, or anyone else's consideration! I'm probably going to let this one sit for a while now that it's written, but once I get around to looking at it again your observation will be one of the things I'll make it a point to consider as I try and tweak the wording a bit. Details like that are important -- please do not hesitate in sharing them.

• 3 years later...

ditto on saw another honored guest reading this, so decided to bump it too...

Sorry for the clutter.

Ya know cyril and don't bite my head off for this, but you should consider turning this into a song.

I'm think an older country or folk arrangement might work out quite nice. Like John Denver or Woody Guthrie, okay maybe not Woody, but you get the idea.

rev...

• 2 weeks later...

Cyril.

My good friend it has been a long time. Ive meant to wander in here & comment before, when I first read it but times, are well ruff. I apologize so let me get to it!

The meaning in this poem is so rich. It really works well. I want to re-read & such over & over to analyze & try to find something, but I cant. Nice to hear from you!