The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Slugs and Ants

Rune

Peredhil looked down as Rune bumped his knees.

"A grammar beast! They live within the walls, twisting grammar and spelling. We TRIED a spell that would make all the works within the Pen keep perfectly spelled and formatted." He scythes as the Beast fleas from Peredhil's purrfect gramma. "We had a mispelling in the original spell. Now within the Keep's walls the beasts roam. Nearly all of the mistakes in the works here are their fault."

Bending and taking Rune's hand tenderly, he led her back to Josh, musing aloud, "It's a good thing you didn't run into Gonad The Grammarian. He's a wild barbaric fellow, who wields the oversized sword known as the Critic's Tongue. It drips acid."

At Rune's worried look, he smiled down. "Don't fear! He hunts Grammar Beasts almost exclusively.

“A grammer beast!” Rune thought to herself. “I wonder if they all have such interesting knobby knees.” She contemplated the thought as Peredhil lead her down the hallway back towards Josh. “And where did Pere come from? Did he go through the invisible wall too?” She thought it best to investigate, that information might come in handy later.

“Pere?” She asked, still walking but now looking up towards him.

“Yes?” He responded, acknowledging her question.

“How did you find me? I mean, wasn’t there a wall there? Or maybe there wasn’t and I just thought there was, after all I was sliding when I hit, er, when I went through the wall.” She chewed on her finger after that last question, unsure of herself.

Peredhil chortled. “That was a metaphor.” He said, matter of factly.

“Oh.” Rune said. They continued to walk while her brain poured through it’s storage to attempt to locate an entry for megafore.

“Whats a megafore?” She said.

Peredhil chuckled. “Metaphor, it means ‘A figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, thus making an implicit comparison, as in “a sea of troubles” or “All the world's a stage”’

“Oh.” Rune nodded. “I don’t get it.” She continued to nod.

“Well, that wall wasn’t really there. You just thought it was. Most of the walls at the keep are just megafores, er metaphors. There are no physical boundaries here, just whatever boundaries an artist places on themselves. “

By this time they had reached Josh who was studying the staircase Peredhil had fallen down earlier. “I think we should start here, since you felt dizzy further up this way. I would assume that sense you are so in tuned with the spiritual realm that whatever made you dizzy is much more powerful and therefore was a slight sense of overload, if that makes sense.” Peredhil nodded sagely, Rune nodded because Peredhil was nodding but really had no idea what was going on. The two men began to climb the staircase when Rune remembered Tasslehoff was still missing.

“What about Tassie?” she piped up. “He went missing, I was trying to find him.”

“I am sure he will turn up later.” Josh said, “We really must get going.”

“I am sure he is safe inside the keep.” Peredhil added.

Rune nodded. Seemed she was doing a lot of agreeing as of late, and followed the two men up the staircase. She had to stretch to make it up one step, so it was a rather exhausting climb.

• 1 month later...