The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Mari

Guest Tamaranis

Guest Tamaranis

The conservatory was the single largest source of information in all of Terra. Many archmagi claimed to possess unparrelled personal libraries of spells and lore, but no dozen of them could even begin to compare to what was held in the conservatory. Spells of particular power, such as Corruption, could not be found there, but it might have been possible to extrapolate that spell, and others, if a single being could research all that was contained within those halls.

And perhaps more importantly, it was the cultural hub of Terra. Bards, Story-tellers, and adventurers came to the conservatory to record their tales or learn of new ones. Great shelves of poetry and heroic tales lined the walls to such an extent as to dwarf the number of magical volumes the building housed.

There was a constant flow of mages, archmagi, and bards through the halls. Quiet was seldom. Few things were surprising there. Undead, demons, angels, and talking wolves were common-place, as were other strange phenomenon.

That was the conservatory in its prime.

Some time ago, a god previously thought to be benevolent and of minor importance, Mari, proved the sages and theologists wrong. Terra began to unravel, multi-souled mages became more and more common. Scholars of all kinds working from the conservatory studied the phenomenon, but none could discern the reason for Mari's strange behavior or its unfathomable power.

Because the population of the conservatory was always in flux, and even those who had resided there for years often left without a farewell they didn't notice it at first. It seemed that one day, quite suddenly, the halls of the conservatory were strangely quiet. Those who were left seemed to notice it all at once, but realizing what was happening couldn't stop it. One by one they continued disappearing.

Now the building was burning. A building which had survived multiple parties held by Wyvern himself seemed now to be on the verge of destruction. Only two or four living things remained inside, depending on what you counted as living.

Inbi Infusco was furiously attacking some unseen and apparently resilient foe by manipulation of temperature. Heat that could liquify steel lept from her hands, which wasn't helping the fire situation. She might even have inadvertantly started it, no one was quite sure. Normally she was much more exact and careful with the use of her power, but there was no time for that now.

Fighting alongside Inbi was a vampire known simply as Black. The ferociousness he fought with, ironically wielding a vampire slayer's sword, seemed to be holding at bay even this unbeatable foe. Such a pace in combat would have been impossible for a mortal to sustain, but being undead, Black didn't tire.

Behind them stood a pair of archmagi, a human named Venefyxatu and another vampire called Tamaranis. Both specialized in the use of black magic, and both were attempting to discern the nature of their foe and launch more effective attacks. If anything, they were less effective than Inbi and Black.

"I can't sense anyone else, not even Gyrfalcon." Venfyxatu said, leaning on his staff. "But I did just find something unexpected."

"I sensed it too, it was indeed Arawn, but he's definately not here in body." Tamaranis agreed.

In unison both of them turned around and unleashed pure nether energy at something that had been approaching from behind. The flames near them flickered and died in response their power. A vague shape was briefly outlined by darkness and disappeared. Venefyxatu seemed to become weaker and lean more heavily on his staff. Tamaranis showed no sign of weakness, but was no less taxed than Venefyxatu from the effort of pushing the attacker back.

"Inbi" The said together, Venefyxatu's voice sharp with surprise and concern, Tamaranis' as cold as ever. Without turning they'd sensed her sudden absence.

"Damn you!" Black cursed, realizing Inbi had been claimed by the strange force as well, "I'm the warlord of death and you will pay! Do you hear me!?"

Inbi had apparently been putting some effort into controlling the flames after all, for with her absence the seemed to suddenly gain vigor and advance towards the three remaining residents of the conservatory. Venefyxatu waved his hand, which caused them to flicker and weaken, and Tamaranis' protective darkness began to lash out, seeming to 'kill' the flame on contact. But it still advanced.

"We must flee." Tamaranis insisted for the umpteenth time. "This is obviously the work of Mari, and we cannot overcome it."

"No!" Black disagreed, slashing about even more frantically now that Inbi wasn't aiding him, "We can beat it!"

"Odd." Venefyxatu suddenly said,

"Gyrfalcon." Tamaranis acknowleged.

If Black sensed the presence of the Conservatory's traditional guardian he didn't acknowledge it, he was too busy fighting.

"Perhaps he has returned with a way to combat this force." Tamaranis suggested, now drawing his sword as numerous vaguely defined shapes moved towards he and Venefyxatu. "It would be fortunate, for the opportunity for flight has left us."

"Join us at The Pen," Came a voice that was unmistakably Gyrfalcon's. "We can continue this from there. The halls of The Pen are insulated against Mari's power." Then his presence disappeared.

"Not quite what I was hoping for..." Venefyxatu commented, as he sent a stream of dark energy towards Black. Being undead Black was unharmed, it was difficult to say whether or not his opponents had been affected.

"Perhaps you have a suggestion as to how we might reach The Pen?" Tamaranis asked as he turned and cut at something he hadn't been aware of until it was almost too late.

There was no answer, Venefyxatu was gone. Tamaranis was incapable of giving up, he continued to fight, but it occured to him that this was most probably the end.

Black worked his way over, and soon the two vampires were fighting back to back against something they couldn't see, though undead could supposedly see anything if it were present. Tamaranis felt something cleave the shadows protecting him, and the halls and flames began to fade and blur.

"Tamaranis? Damnit!" Black's muffled voice shouted.

Still Tamaranis hadn't complete resigned himself to destruction. He was being pulled away from Terra, but he wasn't being pulled away from the other planes. He began to deliberately push away from Terra, speeding the rate at which his view of it faded. But Tamaranis pushed in a different direction.

Soon there was nothing but gray light, complete emptiness. At first Tamaranis was unsure of what had happened, but he quickly confirmed that he had escaped the grasp of whatever it was and reached the between.

It wasn't as easy to reach Terra from the between as it should have been, but Tamaranis was experienced in the manipulation of dimensional barriers, and when he reappeared on the surface of Terra he was standing at the entrance to the guild which had began to replace the conservatory as Terra's hub of magic and culture. The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.

OOC: Hi everyone.

The door to the Mighty keep of the Pen is Mightier than the Sword was disapointingly small. Only after looking around did Tamaranis notice he was standing at the side entrance. As he took this in it opened.

Tamaranis stood ready to confront whoever it was that had opened the door, but as it slowly swung open he realized that mysteriously no one was there. The open portal quietly waited for him as he peered into the cool darkness.

"Welcome!" said a voice, shattering the silence. "It's about time you arrived. Come in, come in! We've been waiting for you."

The voice spoke but no one appeared. So urgently were the words spoken, and with such warmth, that Tamaranis stepped in.

The room was a small tavern. Looking around he saw it looked deserted. The door closed with a slam behind him.

~Zool~

"Sorry for the small reception - We rather expected you to come into the Recruiter's office by way of the main gate. However, since it is you, the others are on their way here to greet you," spoke the voice again.

Tamaranis was neither fooled nor startled, however. He was a creature of the night, with senses far beyond mere sight and sound. His attention was instantly drawn to the large painting above the fireplace.

Even tamaranis, Vampire extraordinaire, had to raise an eyebrow as the regal figure depicted in the full sized ornate gilt framed oil painting bowed deeply, the paint swirling and reforming, every brush stroke and every fold of cloth perfectly detailed. "We meet again," said the painting after his bow. "It has been a long, long time - aeons, in Terran time."

"I do not remember you," said Tamaranis to the curious painting. "I would certainly remember having talked to a portrait - though the rubber chicken over your arm does seem familiar... When is it you say we met?"

"Well, first allow me to introduce myself, as I don't believe we ever were properly introduced," said the painting with a smile. "I am Zool, at your service." This time he gave a short but respectful bow.

"Ah, Zool. The name is vaguely familiar. You left the old conservartory long ago..."

"Yes, which landed me in this painted prison - but that's not important now. The important thing is that you know that when the flying grapes descended upon the mages of old, I was there. When mages were falling to their doom from the top of Mount Tyrant, I was there. When the five mages joined forces to Quell the Heart a'Blaze Eradication Ultimate spell, I was there.

"Why is that important?" asked Tamaranis.

For a moment the portrait appeared to darken, and an unusual crease aged Zool's painted brow as he spoke again. "It is important because it appears that the cronicles of the conservatory have been scattered to the five directions by the dark wizardry of Mari." The mood quickly passed, and Zool spoke again. "It is important so that you know you are amoung friends - so that you know that you are welcome."

(OOC Sorry for taking some liberties - feel free to straighten me out. Indeed, Welcome! Make yourself to home. In order to be a member you do need to post something as an application. It's up to Wyvern if he will accept this or not, being it is outside of the Recruiter's office. As it was written to introduce yourself here, I am hoping he will accept it... But please go there and post something ( even a reference to this post (he gets so bent when he feels ignored. )). )

Peredhil, the absentminded but Polite Bard wanders by talking to himself.

Stopping, he sniffs twice, and then sneezes.

Tamaranis! comes the delighted exclamation. How delightful!

Totally unaware of the power and menace whose aura surrounds the vampire, he approaches and gives him a hug.

Somewhat taken back by the familiarity, Tamaranis looses his chance to react - with a *poof* Peredhil has stepped away and been sucked through a portal.

Looking down, Zool shakes his head sadly. That happens a lot to him you know.

Hugs?

Oh, those too. But I meant, every time he makes it back here, he's sucked away by Rude Lifeforms again.

Having fought the RL demons themselves, the pair exchange a knowing look.

Guest Tamaranis

It had most certainly been a strange last few minutes. Being nearly pulled out of existance, apparently showing up at the wrong entrance to the Pen, discovering Zool had become a painting, being hugged by Peredhil...

"You'll have to forgive my poor aim," Tamaranis says to the painting, "I've spent the last little while on the losing end of a one sided battle against a mad god. Things were somewhat disorienting at the end."

"No problem at all," Zool's painting responds

"I'll be going to register my presence with..." Tamaranis pauses slightly as he realizes just who it is that is in charge of membership, "Wyvern."

This would certainly prove to be intersting. Likely trying as well.

Tamaranis walked through the echoing hallways of the Pen, taking in the feeling of his surroundings. It was silent, and there was no one around, yet there was an... aura... around the Pen keep that had disappeared from the Conservatory- one that spoke of solitude granted, but the opportunity to talk to friends should one wish.

Having felt the Conservatory die around himself, Tamaranis enjoyed the feeling of life once more. Perhaps he enjoyed it too much, as he didn’t sense the other’s presence until he was almost on top of the figure.

“Tamaranis.” The voice whispered from the shadows, features concealed in shadows so deep that even the vampire’s eyes could pierce them. Reflexively, Tamaranis prepared himself, feeling shadows ripple down his arms to settle in the shapes of claws.

“Tamaranis... welcome.” Gyrfalcon said as he stepped from the shadows, a welcoming smile on his face. “It’s been a long time, hasn’t it? I’m sorry for my abrupt departure from the Conservatory, but with the reemergence of the God Mari, I no longer had a place there.”

He gestured to the stone walls surrounding them, and beyond, to the rest of the grand and beautiful Keep of the Pen. “This is my home now, where many have come from the Conservatory of Terra. Hopefully the rest of the wanderers will collect here eventually.”

The half-elf started by Tamaranis. “I know that you should go and meet with Wyvern now, so I wish you well in your interview... and no matter what that greedy almost-dragon says, there is no ‘application fee’. The half-elf stopped and half-turned, smiling.

“Good to see you here, Tamaranis.”

He walked around the corner and left Tamaranis alone once more.

As Gyrfalcon left, Stick entered. A moment passed between the vampire and the tall warrior. They exchanged glances for a moment. Much had happenned in these two's past, it seemed intertwined. Stick's hands itched to reach for any of the innumerable kunais hidden through out his person, but he stayed them. This was a place of peace. After the uncomfortable moment finally passed, words were spoken.

"Tamaranis."

"Stick."

Both blinked.

"I'm glad to see you here, friend."

"It's good to finally be here."

For a moment, all grudges were lost, and Stick shook his former mentor's hand, then went his own way as well. Things had just got rather interesting.

OOC: Was I *too* in character there?

Guest Lord Seth Exodus

OOC: This seems a time for introductions, both old and new, so I shall make myself known here, as well.

IC:

Tamaranis turned as he heard the sound of approaching footsteps from along one of the nearby corridors. Sensing no threat, however, he did not ready himself for defense nor offense, but simple stood waiting.

The footsteps heard were of a quick pace, though, not of running. And with the came the mummer of a low voice, talking to itself with a slight english accent.

"Dear me. Poem, poem, poem, story.... bill? How did that get in here? No matter....story, story, story, monologue....dracious, what a mess." The voice was near now, as it listed of something or other aloud.

Tamaranis finally caught sight of the figure as it rounded the nearest corner. It was a rather flustered looking gentleman, dressed in formal wear, spectacles resting low on his nose, a cane dangling from his forearm, and arms over-flowing with papers, scrolls and books.

The man, so bent on his organizing, didn't even take note of the stranger before him and careened straight into the vampire, sending papers, glasses and all into the air, and the man to the floor; the vampire, however, merely stepped back and looked with curiosity on the muddled little man.

"Confounded things!" the noble cursed. "Where did those glasses get to? Oh, here they are." He didn't even lookup to the stranger as he began to gather his papers and such. "I'm terribly sorry; so clumsy of me."

Finally, after gather his belongings back into his arms he stood.

"That was really all my fault, you see... Gracious!!" The man started, sending his papers flaoting around again as he finally took note of the form before him. He looked over his spectacles at the vampire and began to mutter under his breath to himself.

"Hum... pale skin... the eyes... obviously of the undead persuation...dear me... fangs... claws..." here he gave a slight shiver. "A vampire, no doubt; God help us." He stopped his assesment of the dark man, and paused for a moment. "No sense in being rude, is there?"

He straightened, and composed himself once more. "My apologies, old boy, you caught me quite off gaurd. My name is lord Sethryn Exidious, at your service." Here he gave a courteous bow. "I hope you find things well here; welcome."

"Thank you, m'lord," the vampire spoke for the first time in his meeting of the lord. "Things have been...interesting."

"Well, good good, then," Seth cut in. "If you'll excuse me, I must be off." With another quick bow he sped off past the vampire, leaving his papers and such in a scattered mess on the floor. "Oh, what a head-ache I've got! Another vampire, oh dear.I really must find some..." he trailed off as he disappeared down the hall.

The vampire, Tamaranis, simple looked after the lord, shaking his head.

OOC: Welcome, Tamaranis, hope to see more of you around. A warning, though; Seth is quite a character, especially with your type. He'll take some getting used to.

Revery stumbles around a corner....

"Oh kewl new dark evil type person... Hi am revery of old old old B2 Banquet hall... Poetry and Rambling my specialty so you'll note the mediocre role playing guise," winks "um anyway here, you can have one of my archmage annoynomous chips"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Inbi Infusco

Inbi Infusco had been surrounded by darkness. She had cried out, needing so badly to return to the fight against Mari. She could not just leave her friends there! Without her, who knew how long they could survive? She knew that they had been growing desperate enough as it was - one less person could be the death of it all.

The darkness grew and then, suddenly, subsided. The bright halls of the Pen shone before her, and dazzled, she entered.

She found the halls bright, full, and confusing. She needed to get back! No one here could help her, though they welcomed her as a friend. She longed to stay in both places at once, but knew that if she could ever return to the ongoing fight against that vicious god, she could not split herself for long.

She wandered for a while, meeting a few old aquaintances along the way. Soon, however, she saw a portal open in the distance. She rushed towards it and saw, to her excitement and to her sorrow, the god Mari. With barely a thought, she jumped through the quickly closing portal to resume the fight. Part of her got caught in the Pen, however.

How could the young woman fight a war against a god and still keep part of her being inside this bright hall with so many friends? How could they have any hope of winning if she kept her heart divided?

Katzania posted,

Just then a great lion entered the Hall. She came in the right door, but she found the way easily to where the small group stood. She nodded to Tamaranis and the others. She recognized many and knew a few, though they were yet to meet her.

Seeing Inbi and her terrible conflict, the lion leapt forward. Certainly she had ulterior motives; she was very hungry. In fact, she barely even knew that she was doing the human a favour. She only saw the half-way there soul standing, unprotected in her inner conflict, and knocked her down, unconcious.

Others rushed forward, intending to put the beast out of its misery, but the motions were practised and fluid. In a few easy gulps, Inbi Infusco was gone and there stood only Katzania.

Her image blurred and she turned into a startling character (that is, outside of these halls it might be startling. Here, the figure fit right in). Half tiger, half man, wearing the dress of an ancient witch doctor, complete with bone necklace and a spear, it was like an insane copy of a centaur, black and orange and barbaric.

"Hello," it said. "I am Katzania."