The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Limitations

Guest crowgirl1126

Guest crowgirl1126

Just a topic I have been contemplating....

Throughout my life, I have grown in a "bubble" of limitations. From childhood to the end of my life, I will always have things which I cannot be, or do, or feel, or even take advantage of. Yes, this is true for each person; however, I desire to grow above the average person. I yearn to be air.

As air, I can be in all places at once. O, how I could discover how it feels to obtain a god-like quality!

Perhaps a valid desire, this dream cannot be a reality due to limitation. Each day, one adjusts to others with accordance to shifts in life. But what if.... what if one could break those barriers of limitation to alter how things have always been?

Edited by: crowgirl1126 at: 12/2/02 2:29:25 pm

Guest crowgirl1126

I am not powerful enough to be able to rearrange the cosmos, but I can do my best to break down the barriers in my own life.

I an encourage self-expression through my own creativity.

Perhaps, I could choose a career to promote "breaking down the barriers".

Honestly, I am far to selfish to dedicate my entire life to such a vocation, but I can indeed put it as a priority.

Limitations promote an organized society, but I believe every human deserves a bit of chaos to fully experience growth.

It's this circle, this labyrinth of limitations which motivates me to break free.

My only real limitation is my own self doubt. I never believe anything I do is good enough for anyone else to see, regardless of what that anyone else tells me. I'm a perfectionist, and not being able to do things up to my own standards annoys me beyond belief. When people praise my work I bet suspicious, because I don't think it's worthy of the praise it's recieving. Lately, I've been getting better at evaluating my own work, but I still have some troubles seeing it for it's full worth. Degenero, the 'one and only'

"The death of one is a tragedy, the death of millions is just a statistic." - Joseph Stalin, 1946

Guest crowgirl1126

I really do understand where you are coming from. I believe a lot of people feel that way. I can't be a hypocrite and say that "you shouldn't limit yourself because of your self- doubt" because I do that too. Wouldn't life be so much easier if we ourselves didn't make it so difficult. I bet that my problems would be 10% of what they are if I had a higher self-image and adequate self-esteem. Edited by: crowgirl1126 at: 12/2/02 3:35:39 pm

Quote:Posted by crowgirl1126:

I bet that my problems would be 10% of what they are if I had a higher self-image and adequate self-esteem.

Well I bet that I'd have a girlfriend if I had a higher self-image and adequate self-esteem, so there. My problems are greater than yours. ---Vlad the Imploder---

No relation to Vlad the Impaler

"Me is smart. Dur." -Stick

Edited by: Vlad the Imploder at: 12/2/02 3:43:40 pm

Guest Kasmandre

Limitations??? Hah! I have no such mortal boundaries!!! I am the greatest thing since sliced bread (which I must admit, is pretty cool)!! I laugh at these petty boundaries!!

As you can see, I have trouble taking things seriously. And then, when I do, I take it too far and become an @$$hole. And then there's the whole "sliced bread inferiority complex". --------------

Kasmandre, Initiate of the Pen

"Time slowed, reality bent. On and on the Eggman went."

-Dreamcatcher. by Stephen King

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. by Douglas Adams

"Let's Roll."

-Flight 93

Yeah... Sliced Bread is really... REALLY... cool. This was a great idea for a thread, I really wanna hear what some of my peers... and those who are a bit above my peers, have to say about it. Degenero, the 'one and only'

"The death of one is a tragedy, the death of millions is just a statistic." - Joseph Stalin, 1946

Many people don't need higher self-esteem.

Many people have the problem that they think they need more self-esteem. And when they start thinking about that they immediately see themselves as at the same superb and brilliant and also worthless. And this dichotomy

causes them to see themselves and others as "bogging them down"or "limiting them." And they get really angry at the world and at themselves as well and they feel miserable and you know that's not good and stuff.

So don't concern yourself with how good you are or how bad you are. F&ck 'I am Likeable and Capable' and make 'I have self-esteem' your mantra.

I Know many of the very smart people here have got the opposing view. That you should ignore all limitations. Attempt the impossible without bothering too much as to whether it's possible or not. And I can see the place where they're coming from. I call that place Crazy-land (just kiddin'). No, that's also valid, as long as you can keep from being disappointed at not reahing your goals and not consider that a failure.

God, I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. Must be this low self-esteem I've got.

Impostor

I will never learn to fly, but that doesn't bother me.

doctrine or practical applications?

Random thoughts, I'm pressed for time.

As a self-motivating tool, if you can achieve any impartiality at all:

When depressed, compare yourself to your peers. You'll normally come off 'not so badly' or 'wow, I'm doing okay'.

When feeling too egotistical, compare yourself to you - that which you know you COULD'VE done, or would be capable of doing - if only...

Many Western cultures have distorted basic Christian values into socially oppressive weapons instead of the freedoms which they should be (Different topic), however, one of these distortions manifests in the bizarre idea that "I should be responsible for all my weaknesses and failures, but not for my strengths and successes." After, one wouldn't want to appear egotistical or bragging, hmm?

As a direct consequence the average Westerner has been trained to focus (when viewing themself) only on the negatives and limitations. As you love yourself, you love others... So too many cast stones and tear down (just trying to be helpful, but...) instead of affirming or edifying (edify == to build up).

"He's getting above himself" with the logical social implication of: "We need to tear him back down to our level" rather than, "We need to support him so he can guide or pull us up, once he's firmly established."

Intelligent people tend to have serious ego boundary problems, often projecting their abilities and emotions onto others. The "If I can do it, it's easy, prolly everyone could if they just tried, and it is not worth much, but if I can't, then I can respect it" mentality.

Another limitation of intelligence is that is has nothing to do with emotional reality, except to perceive and refine definitions of HOW one feels more acutely. Thus the highly intelligent can REALLY become depressed over feeling 'petty jealousy' for instance, not only feeling jealous, but knowing that they shouldn't feel jealous, too aware of the implications and reactions if they act on the jealousy, etc, etc - and they end up turning it all inward and becoming depressed and short-circuit defeated, or expressing it anyway - and feeling stupid/guilty.

Intelligence isn't a feeling - it's a comparison of a facet of self to other's similiar facets. Feeling are an entirely different arena, mutable turbulent and energetic. Thought feeds into feeling, can provide the reins that control the steed of emotion, but the harness must be properly attached and you should figure out how to adjust the straps for comfort.

Enough rambles I suppose

The limitations one knows

Can be based on shared reality

Or generate internally

If head rules heart tyrannically

A sociopathic robot you'll be,

But if emotions wear your crown

Your life will be very up and down. We do not write because we want to; we write because we have to.

W. Somerset Maugham