The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

What is the Proof of Your Existence?

Falcon2001

Here's a little something to get your brains back into gear after so much mind-numbing school:

What is the proof of your own existence?

My take on it is as such:

Quote:

Well, I personally believe that nobody can fully comprehend all of my sheer power, so they view me as a tall pale kid with too much hair. But in reality I'm a (message deleted due to forum breakdown at sheer power of description) and it's really kinda cool.

Anyway, how can one prove ANYTHING? How can you prove something to others if the only one who can completely prove you is YOURSELF? Maybe I'm an illusion, merely a dream of a small tiger-striped tabbycat sleeping in a shaft of crystalline sunlight on a windowsill. Maybe we're merely the crazed results of a maniacal scientists experiments in AI. Maybe we're merely pawns on a giant playing board, with mysterious players. Maybe we're merely electronic impusles hurtling at the speed of light across wires that crisscross a gigantic world.

Have you seen the Lain?

I believe I exist because I am a creator. I wield the absolute power of creation. Quite truly do I speak, too. I am an author, a poet, a musician and a programmer. Everything I do is centered around creativity.

Creativity is a wonderful word. Most people think books, music. But what does it really mean?

cre·a·tive Pronunciation Key (kr-tv)

adj.

Having the ability or power to create: Human beings are creative animals.

Productive; creating.

Characterized by originality and expressiveness; imaginative: creative writing.

Having the ability and power to create. That's a wonderful, awe-inspiring line, when you really think about it. I mean, behind the entire facade of evil and destruction I find so engaging to maintain, I desire REAL power. REAL power is not ruling a country or a universe or a multiverse.

REAL power, TRUE power, is writing a poem, or a book, or watching a melody blossom before you as a rose in the misty morn.

True power is spinning a directory-based menu system in Visual Basic out of nothing but 1's and 0's.

True power is putting something into the world that wasn't there before.

You can keep your dictatorships and politcal intrigue and backstabbings and all the bloody rest of it. You can have it.

I'll take a nice quiet place for me to sit and write, like a weaver at a loom, pulling the strings of reality together like a shimmering web into length and form and verse and rhyme.

Do I exist? Maybe. Maybe not.

But I create, and in doing so, validate my own existence.

This compliation of music is neither unique, nor is it special. But it is music, and in being such, it validates it's own existence. Remember, music is not an art form, it's a way of life. - Quote from inside cover of Silvertrip:Experiments in Silver, which I happened to make.

In ending, I'd like to sum up my entire post here into five words:

I create. Therefore I am.

I Am.

Are You?

Cioden Darkeye

Quill-Bearer - The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Owner of the Reply Raven - Enemy to all those who never post responses

"Oh my God, I'm LEAKING POETRY!"Edited by: Falcon2001 at: 10/13/02 12:01:30 am

Very well written! [/i]Hugs Falcon and waves the Reply Raven away.[/i]

Good use of imagery combined with clever and well lines of thought.

I'm not so sure I'm creative. I synthesize the ideas and inspirations of others. At my best, I fuse them into something that appears original.

Hmmm...

I think perhaps I'm a Weaver of works, my own and others.

Existence. To quote Master Niven, I'm just the Mote in God's Eye.

-Peredhil

One thing about the above definition of creative is that it refers back to itself. Unfortunate.

So where do things come from when we 'create'?

Often people have asked me where I get my ideas from (Back when I used to write. ). The answer always disapointed them - Always. The reply would then be "Oh, well, I could have done that." I learned that if I wanted someone to retain a sense of wonder or mystery about something I wrote (rare, but it has happened) I should simply not explain where I got it, but rather say it came to me out of the blue. They were always very satisfied with that answer - it sounds so... creative.

And now that I've explained it, please don't look at me like that.

But they didn't write it, getting back to my example. They didn't because creativity is really no more than an expression of imagination - the individual imagination. They could no more have written it than I could have written something of theirs. I think this is a very key definition - expression of imagination - because it illustrates the two ingredients of the three step process of manifesting creativity - thought, action, and finally deed.

So, what is imagination? I think imagination is a smattering of things, a soup of our individual and collective life experiences that stretches without time scale through a mental space of infinite dimension. From this comes the synthesis of disparate 'things' into something new - a creative thought.

Expression is also key, for without it one would not be able to have 'done the deed', as it were. Expression is not only the creative act of producing the creation but also the skill and knowledge that makes it possible. With expression alone one may be creative by simply taking a common ordinary thing and lifting it up to a new level.

So you see Master P, you most undoubtedly are creative, for your life experiences, knowledge, and skill are all quite extraordinary, so in point of fact you would be hard pressed to not be creative. ~Zool~

King of Nothing, Lord of Nobody, but thoroughly in charge of how I feel about that.

I wouldn't worry too much about that quote...

Solomon... said that like what? 3...4 thousand years ago?

"verily, verily all is soap bubbles..." pop.

Drawing from others... past,tv, life in general is okay... borrow techniques... why not.... as my jazz teacher told me, " hey, your not going to reinvent the wheel, so why try to learn in vacum" Point is unless u were born like unto a profet or oracle... speaking verse after verse from the day you learn to talk... well, why worry about it... even genius needs to have something tangable to stand on... and the language was there long before his words were... he/she just found a different interpertation...

When you pull from a flow, your pulling from within... The part of your brain frantically trying to record/form it, is using the whatever tools you gave it to create it... hell, my old muy thai (kick box) instructor told us like this... "showing u a new technique, is just adding to your tool box...knowing when to use them, is up to you."

So to sum up... biblical water cycles while cool and insightful for meterologist to ponder... doesn't mean that you can't tap into something fresh out there... cause remember you're your own unique special person in this world...just like everyelse...

revery

the dreamlost

"weary are the hands that hold..."

the dream continues...

Guest Rhapsody

Sure....I mean something that has never even been attempted.

For example, I freaked out when i heard about Scott Joplin being played by string quartets. That had just never occurred to me before...that's the kind of originality I mean.

But of course, that kinda stuff is hard to do, hard even to comprehend. So as you can see, I'm not stunned very often, and I'm not one to give out undue lauds.

Exactly Rev! There is no creativity in a vacume. At least, not for us mundane divinities...

And yes, you are unique, just like everyone else - a little play on words here, as obviously uniqueness demands difference, and everyone being different makes us the same - yeah. Or, on a deeper level, a paradox. Being all the same, we are different. Being all different, there is no better or worse, only different.

So, creativity isn't defined entirely by the end product, nor entirely defined by the source. It is moving to a 'new' place - and perhaps that is how we exist. The sum of many, many disparate sources, atomic, molecular, chemical, dimensional, metaphysical, a synergistc bonfire of cosmic and physical forces, a knife thin lagrange of balanced creation, energy and entropy, consuming a host of like phenomena and spewing out in addition to that a plume of vectors and everchanging local circumstance.

Or maybe not.

But were that the case, such an entity trying to find 'objective proof' of it's own existance outside and independant of it's own subjective perceptions could vey well find itself in quite a quandary, similar to trying to stack BBs while standing on your head and wearing boxing gloves in a gale wind.

Don'cha think?

~Zool~

King of Nothing, Lord of Nobody, but thoroughly in charge of how I feel about that.

Edited by: Zool47  at: 10/13/02 3:50:25 pm

Guest Rhapsody

Just an "Honored Guest's" humble opinion.

I think their is a reason why Zool and a lot of us, me included, have trouble with true creativity. In this day and age, a lot has already been said and done. I hate that expression, "There's nothing new under the sun," but the more I think about it, the more I think its true. A lot of the stuff I write stems from something I've read or seen on TV or experienced in real life. Then something blossoms off of that. But true originality is hard to find these days. A lot of the stuff considered original is not so unique in plot, but perhaps different in style or technique.

There was a big to-do when one author published a book written completely in emails. Nowadays, there are a whole lot of books written like that.

Imagination is a wonderful thing. But even more awe-inspiring is dreams. I find much of my work based on my dreams, cuz personally I dream a lot and my dreams are weird.

Expression is only valid if it comes from the heart. Too often, you hear some pop music on the radio and its classified as an art form. Please. Pop is mostly cliches and gushing and crooning put to packaged melodies, embellished only by appearances and sex appeal. Beethoven is art. Mozart is art. Yanni is art. Not nsync....meaning no offense to any fans here.

Most people in the artistic field are as somebody said, a weaving of different stories, experiences, lifelines into a "new" piece of work, perhaps with a different twist or moral. But I personally WORSHIP originality.

-Rhaps