The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Musings of Evil

Guest DoctorEvil65

Guest DoctorEvil65

"Fear is a question: What are you afraid of, and why? Just as the seed of health is in illness, because illness contains information, your fears are a treasure house of self-knowledge if you explore them"......Marilyn Ferguson

Fear......as far as emotions go, it's one that most people would prefer not to have. Yet at it's core, fear is one of the most basic, primitive and necessary emotions known to man.

Everyone at one time or another has experienced fear. Sometimes fears spurs one on, giving them motivation where none existed. Other times fear is a detriment, paralyzing one into inaction.

The Doctor is no stranger to fear. Fear, both positive and negative has guided the Doctor's actions for many years. For many years the Doctor had a dread fear of failure. Failure plagued the Doctor had every turn. Every victory the Doctor ever had, was replaced in the Doctor's memory by the tiniest of failures. Eventually, this fear of failure became a driving decision maker in the Doctor's life. After all, what was the sense of trying, if failure was ONE of the possible outcomes. There is a line from the Eagles song "After the Thrill is Gone" (If you don't know who the Eagles are, don't worry, it just means that you aren't old) that goes ".....You get too careful with the steps you choose....you don't care about winning but you don't want to lose......." In part this became a guiding force for the Doctor, avoiding the loss. For the Doctor, fear became and immobilizing force, many opporunities in many areas where missed due to fear.

Does the Doctor have regrets because of this? Surprisingly, not many For a variety of reason, fear was necessary for the Doctor to develop into the person the Doctor is today. There comes a point, when you have to look are your fears in a very objective manner, and anaylze them head on. After many years of living with "The Fear of Failure", the Doctor had become very comfortable. Failure!!! Big Deal!! The Doctor just stopped trying, just stopped caring, in effect the Doctor learned how to live with the fear. The problem is, that sometime, someway, the "Fear of Failure" turned into the "Fear of Success". The reality of the situation was, the Doctor didn't know how to handle success. Failure, hell, that had become like a pair of broken in tennis shoes. That was the expected end result. Success was what the Doctor yearned for, yet years of being afraid of failure, made it impossible to try.

Sometimes you get to a point in your life were you have to take a very hard look at yourself in as objective a manner as possible. This is very difficult for most people. Few people can look at themselves in an introspective, critical manner. Some people may require the assistance of others. Whatever the case it's important to confront your fears and attempt to overcome them. Don't let them dominate in a negative manner. For the Doctor, this was simple....all the Doctor had to do was try OK, actually it wasn't that simple, overcoming your fears, no matter how rational or irrational is never easy. ....but the rewards, ah the rewards, are ever so sweet........

"Fear not that thy life shall come to an end, but rather fear that it shall never have a beginning.".....John Henry Cardinal Newman

Sincerely,

DoctorEvil

But VERY nicely phrased Doctor.

Fear of Success.

There is a certain security in failure. Each success suddenly give you something to lose. A standard up to which to live. A banner to carry forward.

This CAN be difficult. Each attempt after the Success risks all.

Personally, I find an answer is to redefine success. Success is better defined for me as the attempt and growth, rather than the (by-)product of the attempt. As long as one learns from it, there is no wasted creative endevour in my opinion.

Putting in his two cents, Peredhil wanders off

Guest DoctorEvil65

LOL......oh, Cioden,....."The climax of one's life"?????? Do you know what the "The climax of one's life" is? It's the same for all of us.......

TOMORROW is the climax of your life

And when tomorrow is today, tomorrow will still be the climax of your life.......The Doctor has had some days that were so bad, so miserable, that the Doctor considered just ending it right there. But the one thing, the only thing, that stopped it was tomorrow. The old line "....Tomorrow's another day...." has so much truth in it

Life is not a sprint to the finish line. It's not a contest to see who can get the best prize. Life is......a possibility....what you do with that possibility is up to you....

LOL...and with that miserably optimistic psychobabble, the Doctor will leave you with a few insightful quotes....

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today"......William Allen White

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling"......Margaret Lee Runbeck

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me."....Carol Burnett

"Enjoy your own life without comparing it with that of another.".........Marquis de Condorcet

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."....George Bernard Shaw

"Life is a great big canvas; throw all the paint you can at it."......Danny Kaye

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."......John Wayne

Sincerely,

DoctorEvil