The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Journey to the Center of the Mighty Pen

James Crow

In response to the polite question, Ozymandias sprang to his feet, hands out as to ward off a blow.

"OWL SHIT!", he cried. "Okay, okay! I'll talk! I'll talk! Just... just knock it off with the creepy shadow stare, would ya? It is awful knowing something's got no eyes staring at you!"

The man who was purportedly millenia old, and a ruler of one of his planet's most powerful nations, actually hugged himself in fear under Alex's now very surprised gaze.

“So, you’re killer with a mace but superstitious of a gaze?” Brighid tried to hide a smile by chewing on her fingernail, but her raised eyebrow gave away her amusement.

“I’ll stop staring at you when you stop stalling and answer our questions,” Alex declared with far more authority than a substance-less man should possess. “I've seen you glancing down at the ground every time the wishing stone’s been mentioned. I think you know exactly where it is, and I think it’s close by.”

Ozymandias sighed emphatically, “You got me. The stone’s—“

He was cut off by the beating of a thousand tiny wings as a swarm of iridescent dragonflies flooded the cavern. The trio raised their arms and beat furiously at the insects – Alex wasn't very effective at swatting them away – but they were persistent and seemed to multiply by the moment.

“This can only mean one thing!” The old Egyptian yelled above the commotion. “They’re being chased by a pack of giant, subterranean frogs!”

Edited by Brighid of Byrness

“What could this mean?” James asked, away from the conflict of flies and frogs, at the scene before him. The village him and Scheherazade where in was a exact replica of the Mighty Pen, that lay far above.

“Well this is a treasure room,” Scheherazade said with a sly grin.

James gave her a stern look, “If you are telling me that someone is saying that the Mighty Pen is the true treasure I'm going to throttle my writer!”

"Why?" Scheherazade asked, puzzled.

"Cause it's cheesy and I'm a serious, dark, and brooding character," said James crossing his hands, as if he was pouting.

Scheherazade started to roll on the floor laughing. After a good minute of James glaring at her she looked at him, still laughing to herself, and said, “Didn't you also say this is the portal room.”

James nodded, “I did.” He put a fingure on his chin, ignoring the little girls laughing. Then he went up to the 'Tavern of the Quill' and opened the door, and looked inside.

The inside looked like the tavern but everything was made of....”CANDY!!” shouted Scheherazade as she rushed in and attacked a gingerbread and candy-cane chair.

“This isn't right,” James mused as he stepped in, looking around at all the candy furniture. “Normally, witches live in places like this.” He felt a warm breath on the back of his neck. “Stop that, now what was I sawing...right, witches. There is no witch in the Pen and witches don't guard trea.....” The breathing got harder. “I SAID STOP THAT SCHEHERAZADE!”

The little girl poked her head up from behind the counter in front of him, munching on a glasscandy bottle filled with soda. “what?” she asked.

“I told you to stop breathing down the....back.....of.....” He looked at the girl in front of him, as it slowly clicked, he turned around, slowly. He found himself, eye to leathery green muscular chest. Then his eyes looked up at the things head and saw it to be that of a frog. A frog the size of a volkswagen beetle!

“RIBBIT!!!!!” the thing belched in James' face.

“this is just not my day,” James hissed, the screamed, “RUN!!!”

“What do we do now, Ozymandias?” asked Brighid urgently. Hearing no reply, she spun slowly in a circle searching for the man who had helped fend off the dragonflies just moments before, but the crotchety ol’ Egyptian was nowhere to be found in the panorama. However, Brighid did see an advancing ‘army’ of enormous amphibians approaching from just east of the village where James and Scheherazade had gone in search of the wishing stone.

“Ozymandias! Where are – “

“Shhh….” Alex whispered fervently under his breath. “He ran over that way, toward that outcropping. Let’s go quickly before the frogs notice we’re standing directly between them and their dragonfly feast; follow me!”

Easy for him to run stealthily Brighid thought to herself as she followed the flitting shadow across the cavern, trying to be as inconspicuous as she could.

Ozymandias wasn’t behind the rocks. He seemed to have disappeared into the misty vapor that clung to the damp, stone walls.

“What are we going to do now, Alex? I didn’t think Ozy was the kind of man that would leave us when trouble showed up. All I have is this dagger to defend us with if things get dangerous.”

“Hopefully, it won’t come to that. Have you ever seen frogs of this unusual size before? Maybe they’re not dangerous to humans? What are they going to do, anyway…suck us in with their sticky tongues?”

Brighid did her best to stifle a giggle; although, the image of being forcefully ingested and slowly digested in the belly of such an enormous beast didn’t seem pleasant at all.

“I’ve seen frogs eating fish and birds in one whole gulp along the lake back home; I suppose they could eat us if they wanted to.” I wouldn’t be worried if I were you, she continued on silently to herself. I don’t think a flimsy shadow is going to be as appealing to a frog as a person plump with flesh.

By now the vanguard was just about abreast of the outcropping. Peeking around the edge of the hideaway, Brighid could see the enormous bullfrogs were covered in warts and slime. Ewww…with any luck they’ll just keep moving right on by without noticing us.

Alexander reached for her hand and gave her a slight squeeze as if he concurred with her silent plea.

“Oh, no…” Brighid hissed under her breath as she felt a frantic squirming within the hood of her cloak. With a mighty effort, out popped the rubber chicken, landing in plain sight at the foot of the rocky outcropping.

“Sqwaaaaaak!” he cried angrily, as he narrowly missed being squashed by an enormous webbed foot.

Meanwhile back at the Candy Tavern, James and Scheherazade started to run away from the giant frog. “Where are we going,” screamed Scheherazade as James carried her up the stairs, nearly avoiding the seeking amphibian tongue.

“If I'm right,” James started, “then right....yes! My room.” He stopped in front of an almond bark door and opened it. Once inside he put Scheherazade down and bared the door. With a sigh he turned around and immediately screamed, “WHAT HAPPENED TO MY ROOM?!”

James quaint room was covered in bright colored candy, his bed had become a large marshmallow, covered in fruit-wrap sheets, and his self proclaimed prized writing desk was peanutbrittle with candy cane legs. Scheherazade just giggled, “dark and brooding.”

“Shut up,” hissed James, “At least my clothes are...” He opened the closet and slowly started to weep.

“FRUIT WRAPS!!” laughed the little girl hysterically, not able to hold it in any longer.

“shut up,” he hissed through clenched teeth.

“I wonder if my room is like this...do you think the toilet is fixed?”

“I think it is a fondue fountain.”

She started to drool, thinking of an infinite supply of chocolate. Then she stopped a minute to think then looked at James. “My...” James nodded, “Where I,” James started to grin while he nodded, “EWWWWWW!” finished fondue as she pieced it together. “Your sick!” James just shrugged. Then there was a bang at the door, and they both looked at it, not even breathing.

Then another bang and the door splintered a bi and they could see the frogs eye looking through the hole. Scheherazade let out a shriek as James grabbed a piece of broken brittle and said, “I've got an idea.” Before Scheherazade could ask what, James unlocked and opened the door. Scheherazade let out another shriek as the frog went for her. Then as the frog leapt inside, James dove the broken piece of candy door into the frog's head, killing it.

As both of them stood there for a minute, looking at the dead frog, Scheherazade blew up, “YOU TRIED TO FEED ME TO A FROG!” James just shrugged and nodded. “I'm going to tell Brighid!”

“Tell her what,” James said with a sly grin, “A giant frog? Like she will believe that.” Scheherazade just glared at him, then James looked around once more before rushing to the window. Scheherazade was looked puzzled and was about to ask why, when James said, “Could it be? I don't believe it.”

“What?”

James just shook his head and replied, “This all makes sense!”

Scheherazade took a step back and nodded. “Right! Now you wait here, and I'll go get Brighid to examine your head.”

James looked up and smiled at her, “ha..ha..ha. Real funny.” Scheherazade just smiled, she thought so. “This is the treasure room! Everything is here because it is something we treasure. The Pen, candy, it just combined cause we where together.”

Scheherazade nodded, following the mad-mans logic, “Then who treasures frogs?”

“Must likely that witch, Brighid.” They both gave a quick smile, different reasons, James thinking it was funny and Scheherazade because she was going to tell Brighid what James said. James turned to look out the glass-candy, stained window. “I wonder if the others are doing alright.” They both gave each other a quick look. And with a nod, they were off to be reunited with their friends.

“Quick, Alex, you need to come up with a plan or our gooses are cooked!” Brighid begged.

Alex rolled his eyes at his love’s stupid pun but couldn’t help emitting a snort of laughter despite their dire predicament. “It’s that damn chicken’s fault! If we get out of this alive I’m going to wring his neck, and I don’t care if Zool suspects ‘fowl’ play!” He winked at his panicked companion, trying to lighten the mood.

The frogs stopped their forward march.

The chicken looked confused as he stared up at the bulbous amphibian bodies. Where were those delicious dragonflies he had seen swarming around from the safety of his perch within Brighid’s hood?

Several of the frogs started darting their tongues in and out.

“I’ve got a plan,” Alex whispered in Brighid’s ear. “Don’t worry, and don’t move from this spot. I’m going to grab that chicken and run down the passageway ahead. I’ll lead them away from you while you try to find James and Scheherazade.”

Before Brighid had a chance to voice her concerns for his safety, Alex jumped over the rock and scooped up the chicken off the ground. The bird started flapping his wings and squawking wildly, driving the frogs into a frenzy. Dodging and weaving, Alex managed to make his way out of the middle of the horde which had devolved into total mayhem. As he started to pull ahead of the pack, the leader – who had little brain power and poor eyesight like the rest of his crew – gave the order to follow the bouncing chicken. None of them realized that the bird was being carried by the shadow of a man.

James and Scheherazade ran back to where they left there friends. They stopped short when they only spied Brighid there. When she saw them she let out a sigh of relief and said, “Ozymandias vanished, then giant frogs, then the rubber chicken, then Alex led them away.” It looked as though she was going to cry.

James looked down at Scheherazade and noticed that she was smiling. Then in a blink of an eye the little girl ran, stumbling a few times for effect, towards Brighid crying, “BRIGHID!” Scheherazade hugged Brighid, sobbing.

Brighid gave a soft sigh, “It's okay, Scheherazade.” She pushed the girl away and put her arms on her shoulders reassuringly.

Scheherazade covered her face, sobbing, “Jam..James tried to feed me to the frogs!!!!” Brighid looked shocked, then shot a stern glance at James. Scheherazade peaked out from between her fingers and figured James still need more punishment, so she continued her act, “He...he also said that these frogs are because of the wicked, warty, witch Brighid!!” James was impressed by continued her act, , but had a shiver go down his spine when he saw the flash of anger in Brighid's gaze.

Alex struggled to maintain concentration so that he could create enough of a physical form to hold onto the squirming chicken, at least long enough to lure the frogs away from Brighid. But what little brain the chicken had was focused on filling his empty stomach with those dazzling dragonflies, and it didn't take long before he had slipped from Alex's tenuous grasp.

He launched his flubbery form from amphibian to amphibian, bouncing off their backs up to the ceiling and rebounding down again. The frogs snapped, growled, and shot out their long tongues in a frantic attempt to ensnare the bothersome bird, but the only thing they managed to 'catch' was eachother; soon the the passageway was clogged with a tangled mass of frogs.

The chicken managed to squeeze his flimsy body through the conglomeration and bounded ahead in hot pursuit of the dragonflies.

Alex floated like a rising mist from the bottom of the pack and doubled back down the tunnel toward Brighid. Having an intangible body had its perks, but he was eager to get this whole 'wish thing' over with and pick up his life where it had 'ended.'

Brighid listened until the last sounds of the melee receded down the tunnel before stepping out from behind the rock.

What am I doing here? She asked herself yet again, looking down the empty passageway where Alex had led the frogs. It would be so much easier if I could just go back, way back before Alex even showed up on the shoreline. But here I am...stuck. But you're not the kind of person who can stay stuck, Brighid.There is never 'going back,' just forward through the now; you know that. She sighed and grabbed her traveling bag from behind the hiding spot, slinging it over her shoulder. I must find that wishing stone. I need to fix what I ruined. I need Alex to be released from his torment.

Brighid raised her hands to her face in despair when she thought of Alex and his selflessness. How can he even begin to forgive me?

Her private agony was cut short by the sound of running footsteps approaching from the direction of the village. Scheherazade burst out of the dimness and threw herself forcefully into Brighid's arms. James chuckled as Scheherazade began to weave a story of James' 'abuses.'

"The time for fun and games is over, James," Brighid said sternly to the handsome man as he leaned nonchalantly against a massive stalagmite. Her eyes flashed angrily, and it was plain to see that she was dead serious. James stepped away from the speleothem and replaced his smirk with a more solemn expression.

"You're right, Lady Brighid," the charming rogue replied, glancing down at his strange watch. "We have arrived at exactly the correct time and place where all focus must be on ferreting out the magical stone that will restore some of us to our mostly normal former state of being, including the Pen. And it will be up to you, dear lady, to decide who will be helped...and who won't."

No one had heard the silent approach of Alexander.

"He's right, Brighid; you'll have to be the one to make that decision, and I know you'll choose wisely." Alex smiled reassuringly at his love, and Brighid couldn't help but feel her heart fill with dread, despite her relief at his safe return. "In the meantime, the coast is clear for our search. The rubber chicken broke ahead of the frog pack and is in hot pursuit of the dragonflies, and the amphibians -- once they disentangle themselves from the 'clog' the chicken created -- will be on his tail for quite some time."

"So, we have some time, but we still don't know where to start the search," Brighid replied.

"I think we do," Alex added. "Before the dragonflies descended upon us, I saw Ozymandias glance at a certain spot of the cavern floor when the wishing stone was mentioned. I believe he knew exactly where it's buried, and I think it's someplace close by."

“He looked over here.”

“No he looked over here, you filthy shadow!”

“Guys stop fighting!”

“Aren't you going to spank him or something!”

As the four heroes and heroines discussed (argued) where the stone was hidden, an ancient hand reached out and pushed a stalagmite over. And each of the party fell down a separate trap door. Then there was silence as the stalagmite righted itself. The trapdoors closed back up and the hand crept back into the shadows.

♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣

James turned and twisted down a long slide, slowly getting queasy. Finally it deposited him onto a pile of 'soft' rocks. With a slight groan of pain James stood up and looked around. He was in a new part of the cave system, and it was foggy, very foggy. He walked around a bit and couldn't find his friends. So he was about to call out when he heard, “James?” He looked closer into the fog and saw an outline inside the fog. Walking closer he reconsigned it as Brighid. She saw him to and ran over to him. “James! I was so worried.” She gave him a hug, then looked around. “Where are the others?”

James just shook his head, “Not a clue. But we should start looking for them, the fog is starting to get worse.”

He started to walk away until he heard Brighid say, “James?” Turning he saw that she was looking very sheepish, playing with her fingers and avoid his eyes. “What are you going to wish for?”

James smiled and said, “To be cured of course.”

She gave him a questioning look. “I don't think so.”

James looked a little surprised, “Why?”

“You always have a plan,” she responded. “That watch on your wrist is most likely stopping the effects till you get the medicine from one of your 'friends'. Otherwise, by the look of your eyes, you shouldn't be able to see anything.”

James gave a small laugh and continued his quest to find his other friends. “Figured everything out have we.”
“I bet you want to trade places with Alex.”

James just stopped, his back to her and he started to laugh, “Why would I want to do that?”

“So you could be my lover.”

James froze, no longer laughing, eyes wide with shock. 'what,' he thought, back still to her.

Brighid gave a sly grin at his reaction, “I'm right aren't I.” She walk over to him and leaned in close, pressing her body to his, whispering into his ear. “is that what you want, would I even be able to resist?” She pulled away from his ear and walked in front of him, swaying her hips seductively, saying, “Though if that is what you want, all you need to do was ask. I always thought you were sexy.” She spun on her heel to look at James, her sly smile still on her face.

James quickly bowed, regaining enough of his composer to hide his blushing face from her. “You give me to much credit my Lady,” he said, voice cracking a bit. “But I'm not that handsome.”

She looked at him, hand on her chin, and said, “Then it's to be hidden.”

With a quick shiver, James froze again, still bowed. 'how,' he thought.

“Ozymandias called you an elder. Now I've met a few elders since I've shown up, and you don't act like them,” she started to walk towards James, who was shaking in fear. Arms behind her back, her grin never fading. “You seem to lack confidence, and try too hard. It seems like you are trying be like them. Like a kid in his dad's shoes.” She squatted down in front of James. Looking straight up into his eyes, grinning, and said, “It's so cute!

James looked at her, and though having a great view, he only saw that smile! He quickly stood and spun around, panicked, thinking, 'when did I slip up? no one should be able to read me this well!' Then his panic turned into anger. “You know nothing of me!” he roared. “Just get out of here and leave me alone!”

“You always were.”

James spun around and noticed that no one was there, just a broken mask where Brighid once stood. He fell to his knees as realization of what happened hit him. The fog slowly circled him, like a predator closing in. James just watched, a look of defeat covering his face. Then the fog took him.

With a sudden lurch, the ground opened beneath Brighid; she plummeted down a winding chute and plunked unceremoniously upon the cold, hard-packed floor of yet another cavern. She couldn’t see far – the cave was filled with a chilly, damp fog that quickly permeated her hair and clothing which clung to her like a second skin.

She stood, straightened her cloak, readjusted her traveling bag, and tried to get her bearings. “Alex! James! Scheherazade! Where are you?” she yelled into the mist.

A few seconds passed. All Brighid could hear was the thrumming of her own beating heart. Fear started to press in around her, and she stumbled as she felt her way cautiously across the empty space. This was not another man-made passageway beneath the keep; this was an older room, one created long before the Mighty Pen was ever constructed. The smell of deep, rich earth was so thick that, combined with the moist air, Brighid found it difficult to breath. She immediately dismissed the idea of a freshly dug grave when it invaded her thoughts, and she replaced it with an image of a pale blue morning sky. Slowing her breathing to stem the flow of panic, Brighid finally came up against the wall. As she surmised, the wall was earthen and a bit crumbled away beneath her outstretched hand.

“Alex, where are you?” she called out cautiously.

“I’m here, Brighid. I’m with you.”

She could hear his voice but couldn’t make out his shadowy form within the fog.

“Listen,” he said to her, “I know you’re scared, but we’ll be fine. Don’t panic. We just need to wait a bit longer until this fog clears away, then we’ll know what to do.”

“I am scared, Alex. I don’t like this place; it reminds me of a grave. It’s suffocating. Ever since we left the Boaz Room it’s been one thing after another, and we’re no closer to finding the wishing stone than we were up there. I’m not even sure James’ plan is going to work. And, well…even if it does work there’s sure to be…consequences.”

A tear slipped silently down Brighid’s cheek as she thought of the decision she was going to have to make.

“I know this upcoming decision sits heavily upon your heart. I also know something that you’re afraid to admit, even to yourself: part of you doesn’t want me to come fully back to life. It would be so much easier if I stayed dead wouldn’t it, Brighid?”

“Don’t say that!” she gasped quietly.

“But it’s true,” Alex continued. “I can feel your conflict, Brighid. I felt it that night when we made love. You took a vow to forever be alone and put the needs of your people first and foremost. You’re afraid to trust in our Fate because on one hand, Fate brought us together, but on the other hand, something – some seemingly higher power – guided you within a dream state to take my life. You saved me; you destroyed me. You must know that you hold my fate in your own hands; you always have. But what you don’t know is that I gladly place myself there. I will accept whatever decision you make because the night you allowed me into your bed, I surrendered myself. I had lived my whole life up until that time searching for the empty spot inside of myself and with you, I found it. I am whole now…here in this half-life I’m currently experiencing; in death, when it eventually comes; and in life, if I’m granted another shot.”

Brighid sobbed gently, realizing that what Alex said was true: she was afraid of turning her back on all that she had been taught, on all of the obligations she had taken upon herself from an early age. She hadn’t realized how empty a part of herself had been until Alex had come into her life. She felt selfish…that was the crux of the guilt. What made her think that she was special enough to deny the vows she took and turn her back on the people who relied on her? The good of many must come before any selfish wants.

She hated herself for killing Alex – yet, she had actually felt relieved and absolved at the thought of his death – but the guilt and pain…and longing…had been what she was running from ever since she first woke on the bank of Lake Penrith the morning after. She wanted to be with him more than she wanted to serve her people, and that thought alone made her feel dirty and unworthy under the unwavering gaze of the gods and goddesses she served.

She hung her head in shame and defeat even though Alex couldn’t see her through the fog. “There will be a steep price to pay whichever way I decide,” she said to the silent mist.

Brighid was to far in thought to hear the sounds of something approaching. Then came a voice, “Brighid?” She looked up and saw the form of James. She ran towards him then stopped. Something was off. James was looking at a broken mask in his hand, and shaking.

“James, what's wrong?” she asked.

“Who where you talking to?” His voice sounding distant, scared. Not like the James Brighid had come to know.

“Alex,” she responded.

“Where is he?” James said hesitantly looking up from the mask, and avoiding Brighid's concerned gaze.

She turned around saying, “He is right th....” She stopped. The fog had cleared up some and Alex was nowhere to be seen. Only a pile of bloody bandages.

“oh,” James said quietly.

Brighid stood there for a moment, looking at the bandages, then back towards James, who was looking at the mask again. “What's going on here James?” she asked. Then angrily added, “I'm getting tired of your silly games!”

“i...i...i'm sorry,” James said. She looked at him, puzzled. Something had happened to him, something was wrong.

♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣

Elsewhere under the Pen a shadowy man landed with grace befitting a ghost. He looked around the foggy cavern and saw James standing there with a grin on his face. “Hi Alex,” he said with a small wave.

“James!” barked Alex, “What have you done with Brighid? And I'm fed up with these silly games!”

James looked at him hurt. “Isn't me. Why is it that whenever something goes wrong you blame me?”

“Habit,” hissed Alex, “I'm sorry. Now lets go find the others.” And he started to walk in a random direction into the fog.

“What are you going to wish for?” James asked, not moving.

“Simple, to make Brighid happy.”

“hmmm, I figured you would wish that you were her lover.”

Alex froze, then turned to James, who was now slowly circling him. “What do you mean?” Alex finaly asked.

“Scheherazade told me what she saw of your memories when you two where together. Fragments,” Alex had a chill run up his spine. James just got a wider smile. “She thought nothing of it, I figured it out. You only have fragments, pieces.”

Alex quickly shook his head, keeping his eyes on James, “Memory loss. A tragic event some....”

“Stop lying to yourself!” barked James. “You are just making things up. Hoping, somewhere deep inside of you that it is true. Trying to hide that you are nothing but one of those filthy...”

“no”

“...good for nothing...”

“stop”

“.....shadow beings that Brighid hates!”

“Shut up!” Alex barked and ran away into the fog. Leaving behind in the parting fog nobody, only a small hand mirror.

Grimmael's dimly glowing lamp did little to abate the damp clinging fog of the caves. He had seen the trap doors open and the others fall through, but was unable to do anything about it. He knew where they must have fallen, had visited the caves once before long ago, so knew where they were, and that they were to be avoided. Though they were not dangerous in themselves, they caused a peculiar experience with a perspective that could be unsettling to the unaware - which he was, the first time he'd found them. Though the issue revealed was still painful - as always, consuming his life - he'd come to terms with the conditions of the cave. He was pretty sure...As he approached the end of the cave he was in that then teed off in either direction a huge rectangular shape on the rock wall resolved out of the fog. "Hoist me up Grimmael. I tire of this cave, and desire another wall to grace," said the full size figure as it looked down condescendingly from within the enormous painting.Grimmael eyed the illusion for but a moment, then turned left and followed the new cave. He gave a small guffaw as he passed. Surely the caves could do better than that."Where are you going!" called the portrait. "You OWE me! You would be nothing without me! You must bear me FOREVER!!" The shouting faded as he walked deeper into the caves. Something like that, but then that's the breaks, thought Grimmael wryly. He thought no more about it, for then a new figure came out of the fog, one Grimmael had not seen in a very long time, one from out of his past which he had run so far for so long from. Now you're getting to it, he thought grimly. Let's see if you have anything I haven't thought about every day for years on end."What?" said Grimmael out loud to the impossible visage in front of him.The figure looked hurt. "Now is that any way to greet your brother, whom you haven't seen for so very long?"Grimmael knew better than to waste time in epistemological debate, which telling him he wasn't actually his brother would inevitably lead to. It was remarkable, though, the long curve of his nose set perfectly in his finely boned face, the pale, almost sallow skin, the dark hair trimmed very short, and piercing brown eyes... We were so young then, he reflected. Less than a century. Willfully, he maintained his focus. "What do you want?""What are you going to wish for?" said the pseudo-brother excitedly."What should I wish for?" replied Grimmael cannily."Aegla.""I don't believe in magic," stated Grimmael, turning to go."You've got to be kidding me!" said the pseudo-brother, grabbing his arm to stop him."She's dead, Plumbus!" shouted Grimmael, locking eyes with the phantom. A tense moment passed as Grimmael glared into the phantom's eyes, his shout echoing back to them over and over, then he shook the hand off his arm and turned to go again, saying, "She's dead, and I killed her, and nothing can change that. Ever." He walked on, again evading the traps that lay like sharks just under the surface, though they nipped at his heels and the ripples washed over his toes."You can do this Aurous! You know where the stone is - you could be the one! You could bring her back - you could finally HEAL!!"Like the previous illusion, the shouting faded as he made his way down the passage. He had a good idea of where everyone would end up, and he intended to be on hand for the danger he knew awaited the others.

Edited by The Portrait of Zool

Further behind a certain recently-traveled intersection, a small, tinny voice chanted to itself.

"Ballsballsballsballsballsballsballsballsballsballsballsballsballsballs!"

It sounded as though it were in a hurry.

The voice silenced quickly as it came to the trapdoors, and the intersection, still a good way ahead, a light just disappearing around the bend.

The silence was a broken by a small, but resolute, "Hup!", followed by a less certain cry of "BAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLS!" plummeting down the hole beneath the trapdoor that had claimed Brighid.

“James! James! Are you here?” Scheherazade screamed frantically. Once the trapdoor opened, she had rocketed down the slide at a break-neck pace and landed on the floor in a heap. She scraped her elbow on the way down, her head hurt from the impact of the sudden stop, and she was scared of the foggy darkness.

Her eyes darted this way and that, but there was nothing substantial to focus on. She felt as disoriented and panicked as when she had been trapped in the fire as a small child. This time, however, only an eerie silence surrounded her instead of the horrific screams of each family member as they were captured by the insistent flames.

“Brighid?” the frightened girl called out hesitantly. “Don’t leave me! I’m scared!” She started crawling on her hands and knees, often getting caught up in the length of her dress and having to stop to hike it up so that she didn’t fall forward onto her face. The hard, damp earth dug into her bare knees. Tears streamed down her face.

“Where…are…you?” she managed to choke out between sobs and hyperventilated gasps of air.

A strangled scream pierced the fog. Scheherazade froze and cowered on the ground in a small ball.

“Mommy?” she whispered. No. No. No. It’s not mommy. It can’t be mommy. Mommy’s dead…and daddy and Dina. There’s only James. James is the only one who can save you.

“James!” she shrieked. Silence and then another phantom scream broke through the fog; it was a young girl’s scream. Scheherazade wasn’t sure if it was she herself who had screamed or if it was the ghost of her sister.

Crawl, crawl, crawl…you’ll find the exit. You’ll find James. He’ll find you. He always finds you….

The fog started to dance around Scheherazade, like the flames she remembered. The cries of her family echoing around her. And all she could do was what she did then, fall to the floor and start to cry.

♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣

In another portion of the room Brighid looked at James. He was shaking, she couldn't tell if it was from the damp chill or fear. Just like she couldn’t tell if tears were running down his face. And his eyes, fixed wide and never moving, stared at the mask. Finally Brighid had to ask, “What's so special about the mask, and why is it cracked?”

Never looking up, James answered, “I wore it long ago, another life it seems. And it's cracked when I tried to put right a mistake I made, as a town burned because of it.”

♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣

Back in the fires of fog, Scheherazade was choking on the damp smoke. Tears staining her face, wondering why this was happening again. Then came a familiar voice, “What are you going to wish for?” She looked up, what little hope she had breaking when she saw a figure standing amongst the flames, wearing a mask.

"You're not really James," Scheherazade addressed the masked figure. "You're trying to trick me. You only look like James, but you're not brave like he is. He's on his way to save me again. He always saves me!"

"You little fool!" the voice behind the mask hissed. "I am James; I'm the real James...the one that started the fire that burned your home and killed your whole family. I'm the coward that was too afraid of being caught -- too fond of my own skin to try and save your family -- the craven who lay hidden in the bushes in your backyard until I saw you emerge crawling through the doorway gasping for breath, blind from the smoke and cinders."

"You're lying," Scheherazade sobbed. "James would never do something like that. He saved me! He saw the fire when he rode into town. He ran into the back of my house and pulled me out before the whole thing collapsed!"

"Believe what you want. James was a vagrant. He was on the run from the law and hiding out in the shed attached to your home. His carelessness started the blaze that turned into an inferno. You're such an innocent idiot! In your mind you lost your family, but you gained a champion. You want desperately to believe the story of his heroic deeds he told you. I'm sorry, my enchanting child, but that's all an illusion, just like the 'mask' James wears is an illusion of confidence and bravery."

"But you're not real, he is!"

"I may not be real in a physical sense, sweet Scheherazade, but I do exist. I exist in James' soul; I am James! The person you believe him to be is just an act...just a facade...a mask he put on when he saved you and carried you off here to hide out with him in The Mighty Pen."

Scheherazade curled back into a ball and wept. I’m not going to believe anything he says about James, she told herself firmly. They’re all lies. James is a hero, and he will always keep me safe.

When Scheherazade looked up the illusion had vanished, and so had most of the fog.

For the most part the fog had retreated; only a few wisps swirled around Brighid's ankles like a cat rubbing against her legs in anticipation of a treat. James stood before her staring down at the broken mask in his hands.

"James, I don't know what you think you've done in the past that is so terrible, but you need to forget about it and concentrate on finding the others and the wishing stone. Besides, what happened in the past is over with. Scheherazade adores you, and she counts on you to keep her safe. You need to face whatever fear it is you have and be strong for her."

"You're right, Brighid. I'm the only family she has and she's mine, but I'm also the reason why she lost her real family. She doesn't know that. When she finds out, she won't forgive me."

"You must be strong to forgive another, but first, that person must have enough courage to confess their mistake. I also share the same fear. How can Alex ever forgive me for what I did to him? But worse than that, how can he ever forgive me for wishing that he had just stayed dead?"

A sudden gust of air blew down from above as the trapdoor opened once again. Startled, Brighid and James looked up just in time to see a figure fall through the hole screaming, "Baaaaaallllllls!"

James grabbed Brighid and pushed her out of the way just as the newcomer hurtled into the cave and landed with a thud and a, "Aauugh...balls!"

The fog had not retreated like normal fog, it had merely gone to feed on easier prey. Sadly for Scheherazade, for she was that prey. For in the place of the masked man was a small oil lamp. One she remembered finding outside her house long ago. One that she had read could grant wishes. Her eyes dried up as she stood, and almost trance like walked towards the lamp. Remembering the first time she found the lamp. She had felt worthless, scared, lonely. For every step she took closer, the fog grew heavier, hungrier. She remembered taking the lamp back inside. She fell to her knees in front of the lamp and rubbed it, as she had once long ago, before the fire. She remembered wanting a friend, and a voice. Then she heard that voice, the one that had haunted her ever since the fire, saying the same thing it did then, “What will you wish for?”

"Ooofph!" Brighid grunted as James landed on top of her. She was tangled up in her cloak and James' limbs, and her traveling bag had shifted to the side in the fall, hiding her view of whatever it was that had fallen down through the trap door.

James rolled off to his side and Brighid struggled to sit upright. In the shadows a strange creature was trying to collect its wits and orient itself within the new surroundings, all the time softly emitting a string of what sounded like expletives, "Ballsballaballsballsballs....."

"Get up and run, James! Who knows what that thing is!"

Brighid straightened her cloak, hoisted her bag back into its proper position, and hesitated just a second to decide if she should run left or right; she started off down the closest passageway. The earthen floor was hard-packed and easy to traverse without fear of tripping on a jutting stone, and she made her way rapidly through the warren of twisting turns before finally surrendering to breathlessness at yet another T-junction.

She doubled over, hands on knees, trying to catch her breath and slow her pounding heart.

"What was that thing, James?" she gasped, dragging huge gulps of air into her aching lungs. No answer.

"James?" she called out down the way she had just come. There was nothing in the passageway but the dim light crawling back into the darkness and the faint echo of her query. What is with that guy? She thought angrily to herself. He's always vanishing off into the unknown leaving me in the dark!

Drip, drip, drip; at some point the labyrinth walls had become stone again and water was seeping through a crack in the ceiling. No wonder I was so out of breath; I've been running at a slight incline the whole time.

Brighid sat down to rest, back against the wall. Rummaging through her bag, she came across a small pouch containing a handful of dried berries she had gathered before her arrival at The Pen. Had it really only been a day...or perhaps two...since she had followed Zool into this strange but exciting place? What I wouldn't give for more Hydra fois gras she thought as the berries entered her empty belly.

Into the heavy silence a slight scraping sound made its way. It sounded like someone was pulling an object and heading her way. As quietly as she could, Brighid stood and pressed herself against the wall at the junction's opening; with any luck, whoever it was wouldn't notice her before she had a chance to bonk them on the head.

To Brighid's surprise, it was Grimmael who appeared in the opening, dragging his lame leg against the rough floor as he limped ponderously down the passageway. Brighid stepped into the pathway, startling Zool's cantankerous servant.

"Lady, Brighid! You're okay! I was beginning to wonder whether or not any of you were still alive down here." Grimmael didn't sound overly excited.

"I don't know where the others are. I was with James awhile ago, but we've been split up. There were frogs, and a crotchety ol' Egyptian...and an insidious fog that cruelly contained images of my innermost fears. I was running from a creature that fell through the trapdoor before I ended up here."

"I haven't come across the frogs or Ozymandias, but I was also in the grips of the fog's phantasms. Follow me, Lady Brighid. I know the place we're all being led to, and it's a dangerous spot. You do not want to wander into it alone."

Brighid was not too sure that Grimmael would be of any help if there was danger up ahead, but the scarred man seemed to know what he was talking about, and he had lived in The Mighty Pen for a very long time, so she stepped out into the corridor and slowly followed him down the passageway.

It seemed like wherever they were heading was a ways off, as they walked for some time. Lady Brighid herself felt pained at the labor just walking was for Grimmael. Though the caves were cold and damp sweat plastered the thin dark hair to his forehead, his breath coming in ragged gasps. It was apparent he was really pushing himself, though they were hardly moving at the pace of a swift walk. Twice she nearly rushed up to support him when it seemed he might fall over. Finally she just had to say something. "Are you okay? I am a healer of some skill... perhaps there is something I could do for you?"Grimmael rounded another bend without stopping or looking around. "This way," he said. After a pause he volunteered, "It's not much further," otherwise completely ignoring her words.That he had met Brighid could be a very good thing. For one thing it meant that they were nearing the end of the ordeal. Grimmael knew the caves held two challenges, one that faced a group individually, and the other one together. So complete was the fogs power of illusion, that it was possible for two people to walk right by each other and never see each other, so it was apparent they were at the completion of the first trial. Knowing this, he knew Brighid and him being together could be used to their advantage by him choosing where the rest of them would meet up. They just had to hurry, in hopes they were the first to come together, otherwise no matter where he thought he was going they would wind up finding themselves with the larger group. He dared not say any of this out loud to Brighid, however. The walls had ears, and their advantages were very slim.The cave they had entered began to widen, and then they found themselves inside a much larger cave. It was warmer too, and brighter. Grimmael hobbled over to the side of a raised pool that steamed gently - a natural hot spring! "We will wait here," he said, heaving his body onto a bench-like rock."Wait for what?" asked Brighid."To see what happens next," he answered in an odd tone, raising his head to look into her eyes with his good eye.Brighid decided Grimmael was definitely a bit rough around the edges, but gave it no more thought as she turned her attention to the hot spring. She warmed her hands over the steaming water for a moment before opening her bag and pulling out a cup made out of thin sheets of carefully hammered tin, each about an inch tall and one inside the other, so that it could be 'telescoped' into a full standing cup, or collapsed into a flat little shape that fit handily into her bag. Telescoping it into it's full cup shape she carefully dipped it into the water and raised it to her lips. It tasted sweet and clean, with a slight mineral tang and nothing sulfurous at all. "Delicious!" she proclaimed, which Grimmael echoed by nodding his head.Reaching into her bag she produced another folding cup, which she also filled with the hot water, then she pulled out some herbs which she added to each cup. She didn't like these caves one bit, and wasn't sure what was going to happen next, but saw no reason not to take advantage of the sudden respite. She offered one of the cups to Grimmael. "Tea?"He took the proffered cup in his good hand and sipped, enjoying the warmth and the flavor. He recognized the restorative she had snuck into the mix, and he was grateful, saying simply, "Thank you." This was exactly what he had been hoping for.

Now all they had to do was wait for the others ordeals to finish, and in turn be led to the cave of the Hot Springs.

Edited by The Portrait of Zool

James had no idea what that thing was that fell from the sky, and frankly he didn't care at this point. When he heard Brighid yell run he followed, and after awhile he found himself out of breath. She was right he need to face his fears and confess. “Brighid,” he started between gasp, “I think...no I know that I...” He turned to face her and found no one there. He was again alone. He put a hand over his face and started to laugh.

After awhile, he slicked back his fog dampened hair and looked around. He wasn't familiar with this part of the cave. Then it clicked, he could see here! The fog wasn't so bad, in fact it was pocketed in one general area. Then he heard a familiar, thunderous, powerful voice say, “What will you wish for?” James' eyes widened. That was the voice of the lamp. But that could only mean one thing. “Scheherazade,” he said rushing into the fog.

♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣

Inside the fog, the voice spoke to Scheherazade, “Do you remember the first time I asked you that?”

She nodded, “I was alone.”

The voice responded, “No. You were beaten by a drunk of a father, ignored by a abused mother, and tortured by a sister.”

She just shook her head, “no, they loved me.”

The voice laughed, “Love? Love? No my dear, no one ever loved you. At least the way you wanted. Do you remember the wish you asked?”

“A.....fri....end,” she replied, starting to shiver.

“Close my dear,” the voice said, teasing her. “But that was not the wish you asked for, the one I granted. You truly wished for it all to....” At that moment a large figure swooped in, grabbing Scheherazade and holding her close.

♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣

Outside of the fog, the figure stopped moving and put her down. Though she knew who it was, she still turned and looked up at her hero's face. And there, giving her that irresistible grin that let her knew everything was going to be all right, was James. And there, in the caves eerie glow, more was said in a few looks then what most say in a life time.

Then Scheherazade broke the silence, “James. Don't leave me again.” She turned, not wanting to show her tears to her hero.

“Never again,” he replied.

Scheherazade turned back to face him, anger in eyes and voice. “LIAR! You are going to sacrifice your life to bring back that filthy shadow man. And leave me all alone again.”

“Destiny, not life,” he corrected.

WHATEVER!” she roared, “The fact is that you are going to be gone. Did you ever think of others? Of the people that would miss you? Of the people you are going to leave behind? of me?” With tears falling from her eyes she stared at James.

He walked over and knelt in front of her. “Let you in on a secret. I'm a selfish ass. That being said, I have no intention of letting that Shadow have his way.” They locked eyes, and all the cave went silent. Then they gave each other a hug.

After the long embrace Scheherazade asked James, “So what now?”

“Well,” James said as he stood back up. Then with a grin he said, “We go find the wicked witch Brighid.” Scheherazade covered her mouth to stifle her laughter. And with a nod they where off, leaving hand in hand.

But, unseen to them, a shadowy figure watched. Stunned by their statement. He could only stand there in silence as the two left. And soon, regaining his wits he was off, with one goal. To tell the only person he could trust, his lover, Brighid.....

As soon as Grimmael finished his tea, Brighid rinsed out their glasses and returned them to her bag.

"I wish I had something more substantial to offer you," she said to Grimmael. "I'm starving! I wish we were back in The Boaz Room with Zool. We could order up more roasted peacock with that flavorful, red sauce...and a slice of that hazlenut torte Swami Noguru devoured on his own before anyone else got as much as a forkful!"

"I could also do with a bit of food, Lady Brighid, but I think it's going to be awhile before we get back up above. I wonder how my master is faring; there seemed to be quite a storm brewing outside when we left."

"Zool seems to be resourceful from what I can tell," Brighid replied with a smile as she thought fondly of her friend forever trapped in his painted form. "I'm sure he's fine. Have you known him long? How did you become his -- "

"Brighid!" Alex yelled as he ran toward the pair's resting spot beside the pool. Brighid hugged her former lover, grateful to see him unharmed after the fog's treacherous ordeal.

"Oh, Alex! You're okay!"

"Well, I'm as 'okay' as a man caught between life and death can be, but hopefully that's about to change." He smiled down into her eyes and was surprised to see how much relief they contained because of his safe arrival. The fog had shown him her darkest secrets, and he knew she was full of guilt at the betrayal of her vows. He also knew that if he had just stayed dead then she wouldn't have to make the decision to betray them again...or to condemn him to a more permanant death.

"Alex, have you seen the others?" Grimmael asked, interrupting the couple's reunion.

"Yes, Grimmael...and that's why I'm relieved to have found you first. I overheard James speaking with Scheherazade -- it was really James, not a figment of the fog -- and from what he said, I don't think we can trust him."

"But he's the only one who knows about the wishing stone...the only one with a plan to get us all out of this mess and set things aright," Brighid interjected.

"Yes, I know that, Brighid, but I also know that he's out to save his own hide. I heard him tell Scheherazade that he --" Alex stopped short as a crash resounded in the passageway leading into the Hot Springs.

"What in the devil was that?" Grimmael declared.

A few hours before the noise, in another part of the cave system........

Are we there yet!” whined Scheherazade.

“For the hundredth time no,” James responded, holding back his temper.

WHY!” pleaded Scheherazade, “I'm hungry!

James just shook his head and responded, “Well why don't you use your new found 'powers'.”

“Why don't you check your watch!” she retorted.

They stood there and glared at each other for awhile till they heard a groan not to far off, and went to investigate. There they found the body of the old Egyptian, still on his back, just groggily waking. “Glad to see that....” James started.

Just to get cut off by the Egyptian pointing a finger into the sky and screaming, “BBBBBAAAAAALLLLLSSSSS!”

James and Scheherazade looked up just in time to see a yellowish streak streak straight down and smack the old one in the face knocking him out....again. And as the thing started to zoom back from where it came James reached out and caught it by it's scrawny rubber neck.

When it finally settled down, James and the rubber chicken locked eyes. Some people will tell you that great rivals are not born from nothing, but must be created. Well I tell you in the brief moment that there eyes lock, a rivalry of epic proportions was indeed born. And the chicken threw the first beak. Letting out a massive cry, “BRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWKKKKKKK!” It started pecking at James' hand. Who in turn flung it and proceeded to curse.

The rubber chicken flew into the waiting arms of Scheherazade who gave it a fond embrace and said, “I will call you Chicky and you will be our mascot.” James shot her a death glare, babying his pecked hand. “What, he is perfect.” James gave a doubtful look, at which Scheherazade went to explain, “He is loyal, fearless, bounces back from everything, and likes me. The perfect mascot for our part.”

James burst out laughing and retorted, “Stupid, bird-brain, rubber, poor judge of character!”

She got right next to James' face, glaring at him and was about to retort when Chicky went, “BRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWK,” right in his face.

Scheherazade let out a giggle as James shook his head. Then glaring at the small rubber chicken said, “What next? A hoard of....”

RIIIIBIT!”

James just shook his head, “My luck can't be this bad, can it?” He turned and saw the frogs, larger than the ones he saw before, hopping out of the fog. “Guess it is. Time to run....again!” He turned around, grabbed the old Egyptian by the foot, dragging him with. Scheherazade followed carrying Chicky.

“Where are we going?” she asked, hearing the frogs getting closer.

James looked around and saw a...door? 'well beggars can't be chooser,' he thought, then said, “Here.” And ran through the door, slamming it and blocking it right when Scheherazade made it in. They could here the amphibians out side, trying to break it down.

“Now what James?” said Scheherazade, gasping for breath.

He looked around and noticed the four of them where in a small library with only one way in and out, the way they came in. “Well we....”

“BBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWKKKKKKKK!”

James quickly covered his ears, sending a death glare to Chicky. Who was smugly stared back. Scheherazade just gave a smile. “Start pulling books off the shelves,” James said, still glaring at the rubber chicken.

“Why?”

“Because one should open a secret passage.” She shrugged and started flinging books left and right. One hit they waking Egyptian, putting him back to sleep. After awhile there was just one book left. James shrugged, “Always the last one.” He looked at the title as he pulled it. It read, Alice in Wonderland. Fitting he thought, as a trap door opened beneath them.

♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣

Now in the present...........

Grimmael, Alex and Brighid looked around trying to find the source of the noise when all of a sudden a part of the ceiling opened and James, Ozymandias, and Scheherazade from it right into the hot spring, getting everyone wet. James and Scheherazade looked at the others as Ozymandias floated on his back. “Brighid,” Scheherazade screamed as she ran and embraced her, “I'm glad your not a witch, or you would have melted.”

Brighid gave James a dirty look, knowing that it was him who kept insisting that she was a witch. Then she looked back at Scheherazade and said , “I'm glad your....”

“Ooooo,” Scheherazade interupted, “You need to meet our parties new mascot!” She looked around. “Where is he?” she asked when she couldn't find Chicky.

James just got out of the hot spring and started to saw, “I hope he.....”

Then from the hole above came Chicky, saying his famous line, “BRAAAAAAAWWWWWWWKKKK!” And slamming into James, knocking him back into the hot spring, bounced right into Scheherazade waiting embrace.

Scheherazade spun and proudly presented her new friend and team mascot to Brighid. “This is Chicky!”

As soon as James' head broke the surface he screamed, “DEATH TO THE RUBBER ONE!”

• 1 month later...

Brighid couldn't help but take some secret delight in James being harassed by the rubber chicken; he deserved it for all the witch nonsense he kept feeding Scheherazade. He often seemed too cocky, and he needed to be taken down a peg or two; although, all of them had been tested by the fog and she knew James didn't possess as much self-confidence as he wanted them to believe.

"Bested by a bird, oh brave leader," Brighid sniggered in James' direction.

"That bird is a maniac," James replied, pointing in the direction of the rubber chicken who was roosting quite peacefully in the safety of Scheherazade's arms.

"He doesn't look too dangerous," Brighid retorted with a smirk.

Swiftly, James lunged out of the pool, grabbed a hold of Brighid, and pulled her back into the hot spring.

"Why you ---" Brighid sputtered as she surfaced for air. But she couldn't resist laughing as she wiggled free from James' grasp and started flinging water at him. The two of them engaged in a friendly but competitive water fight.

"Here, hold him," Scheherazade said to Grimmael as she pressed the bird onto the older man's lap. Then she ran towards the hot spring, launched herself into the air, and shouted, "Geronimo!"