The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Insperation

Snypiuer

Suffering from a monumental case of non-inspiration to write anything, I was wondering where others find their inspiration to write. Do you have a favorite theme or setting that you feel most comfortable with? Do you follow a basic pattern when writing?

Whatever you think may help, not just me, but others.

Normally I do my best thinking in the shower....then anoyingly forget it when the water stops. IT BITES!! Other than that I search the internet, read a book, listen to friends/coworkers, talk to myself (sometimes that gets awkwards), watch tv, stare at something I find beautiful (also sometimes awkwards), or close my eyes and stop. I might look through a notebook(s) that have unfinished ideas, or half-baked thoughts. It might help to have a place like that. A place to put the unfinshed or half-baked ideas, in hope that a person gets an idea from it, or finishes it (just a thought). For some of the other questions, about a theme, setting, or pattern, I'm still trying to find what I'm confortable with, so not much help there. But in the end I seem to fall back to the first poem that ment something to me......hope that helps.

Couple of things inspire me. I find that making myself go out and be with people, like going to a group thing and actually listening will help. Reading books and what-iffing the things the author didn't write. Oddly, reading the Bible will trigger things.

The biggest thing I've found about being a writer is writing discipline. Zool is the one who first exposed the idea to me, and more than anything else, it's true.

Write every day. Write about life, ideas, what excites or upset you. Be totally and ruthlessly honest with yourself. Write about not being able to write if you must. Have pity parties, rejoice without guilt and modesty, But write.

And never ever show it to anyone else. It's a private contract between you and your muse, a place you can meet in privacy, authenticity, and work through things. You'll find reoccuring themes happening. You'll reveal the issues of your heart. Plus, like priming a pump, you'll flush out the "bad water" of really crappy writing, and ideas will bubble up that are worthwhile.

*hugs*

I for one have been a lurker for a long time, and do read and enjoy your writing, and hope you continue.

• 3 weeks later...

I write because I have too. The shit wont leave me alone until I write it down. It keeps me up at night. I think maybe I need to find a way to write when I dont have the creative inspiration battering the doors down. i would like to publish my stuff someday, and waiting for the muse to strike doesnt seem like a particularly efficient method of generating a portfolio worthy of print.