will not follow

you

follow no one

one word breaks the

silence

is all we ever needed

[04 mei 2007, Hellevoetsluis]

Edited by Appy

Read it first and it appeared as nonsense. Read it twice it seemed to have some meaning. Read it thrice and realised how much it reflects my moods of late. Simple and complex, you've caught it both nicely here lass.

:wolf:

I like this poem, Appy. :-) The stanza structure stands out to me in particular, as the way that you position a single word at the center of each stanza to form two different sentences is very well done. Reading the stanzas under this structure gives the lines a very transient feel to me, and also adds to the overall rhythm and flow of the piece. The repetition of "silence" and "you" as the central words also adds to the thematic elements of the piece, and I like how the stanzas alternate betweem a first/second person perspective and a first person plural perspective with each stanza. The positive connotations of "silence" in the last stanza are intriguing as well.

Very nicely done, overall. :-) Thanks for sharing this Appy.

Just messing around. thought I'd play with your structure a little and impose my style on your idea. I like it as is. This just experiment.

cheers,

rev...

try to shelter

you, but you

shelter yourself

as we walk in

silence as silence

walks with us.

I/We will not follow

you as you

follow no one:

One word could

break, this silence

Edited by reverie

• 4 weeks later...

I like this poem, I think it does really clever things with the structure to call emphasis to the small but not insignificant points it wants to make

Placing one word in the middle of each stanza is not only interesting and helpful, it's downright instrumental to making this poem as good as it is. I think using one word to form two distinct sentences prompts the reader to play the sentences off one another. That leads him or her to re-read the first sentence and in many cases reconsider or heighten his/her appreciation for what's being presented. Very good stuff, right up through the closing line, which is excellent in that it brings the poem to an end succinctly without losing the openness to interpretation that defines this poem.

Edited by HappyBuddha