The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Greetings to a new arrival

cryptomancer

In his usual corner table, the cryptomancer sat, enjoying some quiet solitude amidst the chaos of the pen keep and life, that had combined so wonderfully to create stress and new challenges of late.

The coffee on the table in front of him was half way gone, when a set of tattered green ears appeared at the edge of the table in front of him. the ears clambered up the table, assisted by the chair, and the eyes below the ears on a rather tattered face, looked at him and beamed a wide and misshappen grin.

"do I know you?" Cryptomancers quieried, unsure of the intentions of this small and ashtetically orcish visitor to his quiet corner.

:raven:

The brightly colored girl skips gleefully in, a curious light enters her eyes as she looks on this little green fella. She smirks. "What cute little ears!... they remind me of leaves that happened upon a hungry caterpillar, yup they sure do."

From her overly long sleeves she pulls out a small glass and a flask and smiles. "Have a shot of whisky on me... you look like you could use it, little guy"

Tipping his bowler hat, well the top half of the hat (the bottom remains fixed around his head below his ears), he grins at the gathering crowd.

"Well, 'ello you lot, pleased to be making your aquaintance then, pleased to be made welcome in a place of such honerable company."

Looking himself up and down, he then fixes his gaze at the painting, "Um, what do you mean tattered? this is my best business suit, on account of me being here to conduct some business with my good friend in the hood, if you take my meaning. Now if you will excuse us, I shall appreciate some quiet for me and my good friend here." He smiles at the others and gestures to Crypt.

"Good one Guv, playing the whole 'I dont remember' card are we? Let me give you a quick refresher then."

I theatrical jump and pose ended with Norman standing tip of ears to eye level with Crypt, he stood on tiptoes, and reached an almost eye to eye level.

"Party, good party, got better when you showed with the blonde in the tight mini and all that. As I recall rather fondly mind, you understood the finer points of the diverse culture of us more clan orientated folk. Made many a friend that night you did, mind, not many got a chance to thank you properly, 'cept me you see, got me a nice chair leg and fixed to thank you for your invitation of friendship."

"You hit me in the face with a chair leg, you the, um, Orc? that gave me a the black eye at the rave that CheerMynx took me to."

Crypt narrowed his eyes at the small greenis thing standing on tiptoes on the table in front of him.

"What makes you think we are friends? I dont even know your name."

"Oh! Pardon my manners sir! Dreadfully sorry, Norman, Norman the Runt, Please to meet you again formal like that is. Your skills in understanding Orcish culture still astound me, and all the lads really too. See we all had the best party we had in a long time, and see the thing that made it all so good party like was you , and the blonde, quite an outstanding bridge of the culture gap if I say so myself."

The Runemage smiled at the small Orc, "Ok, so we had a fight and you gave me a black eye and that makes us friends?"

Puzzling over this new arrival Cryptomancer leaned back and looked Norman over. He was dressed in a rather interestingly textured suit, complete with bowler hat, in two parts, brim under the ears, the rest on top.

The rest was rather typically orc, just smaller, a lot smaller.

"Ok, so what are you doing here?"

"Well, see, the lads wanted to thank you and invite you for another visit see. Just, they is just a bit uncertain of the welcome from your archers and all on the keep walls. See we dont always manage to bridge the cutlural gaps with you, um, paler folk, if you take my meaning."

Norman sat on the table cross legs and rested on his hands. "Seems I got the task of doing what I am good at like, and sneaking in to find you, and since I already thanked you for your kind invitation to be friends, it was sorta a fore gone conclusion that they would send me, being as we are such good friends and all."

"You want me to come to a party? Just because of the fight we had at the other one? Um, I am not sure that would be a good idea, I am not certain I could take being thanked by all of 'your Lads' in one night."

Crypt looked at Norman, "Why dont you stay here a while, learn some of the subtly differences in our cultures?" Norman's astonished look, was answer enough, it seemed he was rather happy at the suggestion.

Norman beamed, as much as green teeth in a greenish skinned small orc can that is.

"Stay? Here? Well I never! Blow me down and call me slimey! That has to be the kindest suggestion anyone ever made to me, hats off to you Guv, honest and true, I would be happy to stay."

Norman leaned in and whispered, "See, I want to look around here a bit and make some new associates, in the business side of thing see. I have a knack for spotting a good deal, and organising the right people to meet at the right time, namely me meeting them when they is least suspecting it see, and I know there is a lizard type gentleman here with a similar sort of business mind to myself."

Leaning back Norman grinned and announced to the room in general, "Well I never, seems the Lads had you lot pinned all wrong, I would love to stay and partake in your culture for a spell, not too long mind, wouldn't want to out stay my welcome and become an imposition on you all. But stay I shall, and I thank you very kindly for the gesture of welcome and kindness. You mind if I take residence with you then Guv? seeing as yours was the invite and all?"

"Um, sure, I dont see a problem with that suggestion. I can let you have the wardrobe in my quarters, it should be a good fit for you."

Crypt smiled and scribed a rune on his coffee cup to refill it, and producing a smaller vessal did the same for Norman.

"If you wish to meet the 'Lizard' his name is Wyvern, and he is the one you need to speak to about formal residence here, his office is that way, just follow the paper trail."

"Wardrobe? that be a suit fit for a chief to me, and I take your jest well in the height department, just keep those type of comments to a minimum or we shalln't be seeing eye to eye much, if you take my meaning."

Norman let off a burst of almost machine gun laughter, that stopped as suddenly as it began, "Wyvern? Respectable name that, I shall go see him directly, well after we share a cuppa it seems."

Norman sipped the coffee, "Got a spot of sugar ther Guv?" Crypt drew a rune on the cup, and the contents swirled. Norman sipped it and smiled, "that hit the spot, nice trick that, mind teaching me it someday?"

Stifling a yawn, Mynx wandered tiredly through the Cabaret Room, a trio of kitten minions following close at her heels as she allowed her remaining senses to pick up the new sounds and scents of new arrivals to the Pen.

Ears pricking as she recognised the aura of Cryptomancer, Mynx stopped her aimless movements and headed towards the RuneMage's table to say hi.

The greeting was already half formed on the feline's tongue when her nose picked up the new - and decidedly unappealing - scent around her friend. Purely out of habit, Mynx blinked.

"Why do you smell of orc?" she blurted out.

Before Crypt even had time to respond, a voice piped up behind her.

"'Ere! Don't I know you?"

Norman wondered if it would be polite to aquire one of the kittens, and if he had a spit big enough to roast it on.

He turned his attention to the larger feline in the robe.

"Well, like I said, don't I know you?"

The orc scaled the chair and clambered onto the table.

"Well I never, it is the blonde from the party. I must say you look quite fetching as a red, but the other outfit did work for you better, you didnt half scare the death out of me in that robe an' all." Norman watched the kittens again.

"Anyways, I am Norman the Runt, pleased to meet you again luv, always good to have more than one friend close at hand."

Mynx frowned in a mixture of confusion and annoyance at the small creature before her.

"Blonde?" She asked. "Party?"

Behind Norman, one of the kitten minions hopped up on the table, sniffed at him, and jumped back down. Forming a small huddle with the other two minions, the kittens appeared to confer, before one of them scampered off out of the Cabaret Room.

"Crypt..." Mynx fixed her friend with a puzzled expression. "Does this have anything to do with your date with CheerMynx?"

As she waited for a reply, the kitten minion returned with about a dozen more of its kind.

Mewling adorably, the kittens took up residence on and around the chair and table, ears pricked as they watched the miniature orc with interest. The image was reminiscent of pets waiting to be given their dinner.

Crypt stared at the kittens, willing them to come up with a suitable distraction for him.

When they failed to do anything, the RuneMage cleared his throat nervously...only to be saved from explaining by the very orc in question.

Taking advantage of the distracted company (and the increased number of kittens), Norman had reached out for one and picked it up by the scruff of the neck. It stared at him calmly, before scratching him in the face and leaping away.

"Why you little..." Norman leapt off the table to chase after the kitten...and ran into the base of Mynx's scythe. Rubbing his nose, the orc looked up at Mynx to find her glaring at him.

"Don't..." the feline threatened.

"Sorry Luv, no offence intended, just playing with the lil scamp, no harm done now was there?"

Norman began his assent of the table again, "I suppose it a good indication that there is no kitten huntin to be had in this place, not that I would ever think of spitroasting a feline of any sort mind."

Norman shifted to the furthest edge of the table, away from Mynx, and watched the gathering kittens longingly before snapping out of it at the sound of Mynx's low growl.

"Right you are luv, see, not chasing them none an I, just looking, no harm done." As a whispered aside to Crypt, that was heard quite clearly by Mynx, "that dye job given her the same temperment too, if you take my meaning."

Grinning disarmingly at Mynx, Norman shifted uncomfortably as he realised this was not going in his favour, "Um, we start over then shall we, Pretend like we never met and I just arrived and all, and we didnt get into no barney at the party that yous two crashed, although it a good thing you did as it sorta made the party and all that, but we just now met, and.... " Norman stumbled in his attempts to restart the introduction, the flick of Mynx's tail was a rather obvious threat in a distinctly feline sort of way, and the kittens seemed to be preventing most of the normal means of escape.

"Hi, I am Norman the Runt, and I believe I was just on my way to someplace else that I had to be, in order to fullfill a previous engagement with someone not looking like a warmer, angrier, more-inclined-to-disembowel-me-with-her-scythe, version of Death itself."

Norman threw a small grappling hook that had been hastily palmed and scampered up the rope to the roof, and dissappeared into the rafters.

Mynx's ears flattened briefly at the change of accent coming from Cryptomancer, before she snorted and allowed a small smile to creep across her face.

"Do you want to tell him that charming smiles don't work on the blind? Or shall I?"

Crypt blinked. "But if you couldn't see it how did you know it was there?"

"Could hear it in his voice," the feline replied, before flinching at the orc drool.

"You do realise," she continued to her friend, "that if he harms any of my wards I will hold you personally responsible?"

"Why me?" Cryptomancer pleaded, recognising the tone in his friend's voice. It was not a friendly tone.

"Why not?" Mynx flashed a toothy grin at her friend, before collapsing wearily into a chair and conjuring a coffee. As she sipped her drink, the feline made a mental note of Norman's scent and aura. He would be an interesting one to watch...

Appy jumped another beam and wobbled a bit before regaining her balance. Living in the rafters had been quite soothing for a long time. She could see and hear everything going on in the Keep and still avoid being seen.. by most. A movement up ahead caught her attention and she crouched down to check out this new arrival to her temporary living space.

After some time it was obvious the creature hadn't seen her, but in this light she could see it.. him? well enough to determine he wasn't human... but he was small enough to be a child.

Appy beamed in the darkness and jumped another beam closer.

"Psst! Did you come to play?" A big smile is heard in her voice. The loneliness was getting to the little girl after all...