The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Computer be broke!

My USB picked up something nasty from dem skanky computers on campus. I cant open anything except for Internet Explorer, and windows explorer (but cant run any programs). This sucks since my laptop (which is my main computer) has a "My Safe" portion, in which I stored a bunch of important stuff, and I cant retreive it Rolling Eyes

I'm hoping whatever trojan/virus/thing that possesed my laptop didnt somehow snag my WoW details (I sure as hell didnt log onto anything once I realized it was acting funny, but it might have been latent for a while) and send it through my firewall.

Well, I just managed to totally screw myself over. For the record. . .before deciding to format, find your copy of windows FIRST, especially if it's a notebook with all the bells and jingles. I was so convinced it was in the plastic wrapped thingo that I didnt open when I first got the computer (it came pre-installed I think) that I actually sat right down, dumbfounded when I opened it and found the disc wasnt inside (I really dont know where it went). I was so eager to wipe those damm buggers out before they could get to my precious password and shard my epix that now nobody can get to them :P

So things that are screwed up now...

Wireless does not work

Video card is not recognized by windows (apparently it's a "special" driver you cant get from ATI's website)

And then there's this wierd problem with graphics. In a nutshell? it dosnt work. It recognizes the card, says there is no problem, but then:

-When I try to start ANY 3d application (except for windows screensaver, which inexplainably works) it just shows a blank screen.

-ATI Catalyst control centre has a blank box where the 3d preview is supposed to go.

-It becomes super jerky when I try to scroll anywhere (IE, MSWord, whatever). The only word I can describe it as is "tearing" though I'm not sure if thats the exact term.

The jerkyness during scrolling inexplainably vanishes when I turn graphics acceleration off (of course, the 3d stuff dosnt work at all then)

My noob opinion #1: it's something software. The same problem happened on my desktop, which is why I semi abandoned it until now (Thought I'd puzzle it out after my semester ends)

My noob opinion #2: My copy of windows XP is an upgrade. Previously I had windows 98. I totally forgot to install windows 98 on my desktop when I formatted it, but Windows XP _inexplainably_ let me install. It really boggled my mind when I realized that later. Of course, thats when the trouble started. On my notebook, I installed windows 98 first, but it didnt boot up properly the first time and I rammed windows XP right over it immedetly.

So uh. . .help? please? Getting the shakes here Embarassed

Glad to hear you got your computer sorted out.

I know over the last few years there's been a tendancy to release machines with the OS and everything all stored in a hidden partition on the hard drive.

Usually you're 'supposed' to write your own restore CD's so that you've got them if you ever need to format your hard drive... stupid idea really since half the machines I've seen set up like that don't have cd writers and the other half need the restore cds because they've had a hard drive failure and thus the restore information is inaccessable.

For the record, windows upgrade CD's can be installed without installing the prior version first, usually that's actually better, you just often need to put the previous version in the drive at some point to verify that you've got a legitimate copy.

Also any non-standard drivers (like video card or whatever) that are required should be available from the hardware manufacturers website if the standard ones don't work...

Too little too late perhaps. I'll cross my fingers for you and hope there's not a next time. :)

I've just had four next times in the last week on my laptop, so I know how it feels. Guess that's what I get for messing around with my settings just for fun. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on fixing your computer! :)

Being on a strict budget myself, I have 'acquired' a computer for everyone in the house, and then some, and they all seem to have their quirks, like obscure drivers for proprietary chips, including onboard I/O and bridges that don't come with the OS! And then there are the inevitable little peculiarities that always come with older and well used equipment - like it doesn't work right. :P

Anywho, I feel for ya! ;)