The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WWXXXI: Sign up and OOC

Ayshela

Welcome to the recording industry! This game, we're a part of a small record label, working in and around a recording studio.

As a player, your options are varied. You may be an artist (or part of a band, though you would speak/act for your band as a whole) trying to break into the business and score a contract. You may be a contracted artist/band trying to protect your market share. Or you may be a studio technician or marketing agent working with the new talent.

As a wolf, your job would be to make maximum use of your unauthorized access to the newly recorded music, by distributing low quality and/or distorted versions of unreleased tracks across the internet to discourage sales of your competitor's new album (or the new album of someone you dislike, if you're a tech or in marketing).

As a seer, your friends in the record label's security staff discuss with you any unauthorized access they've noticed, letting you know who it was traced back to if they've discovered that yet.

As a baner, you have friends of your own in the record label's security staff and can recommend, based on rumours or intuition, that a particular artist's work be encrypted/removed that night .

Wolf kills and lynchings - the method chosen would really depend on the night phase/day phase accusation roleplay to determine which would be more appropriate to the story line. Either there would be enough suspicion raised and loud accusation that the record label would choose to cut its losses in public image and terminate your contract, or the label's legal department would act on information received and file a lawsuit against you, keeping you so wrapped in red tape that any further recording would be impossible. For studio employees, you would be fired, with or without blacklisting depending on whether it's a wolf kill or a lynching.

Ever wanted to break into the music scene? Here's your chance! =)

Sign-up will close at 9am Pacific time on Sunday the fifteenth. I'll open the thread for introductory roleplay by noon, and PM your roles Sunday night.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to play...

I shouldn't...but I want to...

Bah what the hey...what's the worst that can happen, right?

Carrie Dee, 17

Carrie is a reluctant pop/rock singer from a small, close knit town. 'Discovered' by a money hungry agent who promised her the world, she has true talent but lacks the drive to pursue a record contract on her own as doggedly as she currently is with her agent pushing her. It's not that she wouldn't like to be famous, she just doesn't see it as being the be all and end all of her life, whereas her agent sees her as his last chance to make a name for himself in the music industry.

Carrie Dee is about 5'8", pale skinned, and has brown eyes, although she wears cats eyes contacts most of the time. Her hair is currently dyed black with electric blue streaks, and she is slender verging on dangerously thin. She's not really happy with her image, but her agent keeps pushing for her to maintain her interesting look in the hope that it will help her secure a contract.

OOC: If someone wants to play Carrie Dee's agent, I'm more than happy to work with you, otherwise I'll just write him as I need him.

Anyone who knows anything about the music industry knows Mr. Coolio.

Caesar Ulysses Leo (signs his checks C. U. Leo) works as an agent for newer musicians that are going to make it big (and its a well known fact that if Mr. Coolio is your agent, you're going to make it big). He frequently shows up to the studio with a small group no one has ever heard of with a big tune everyones going to hear.

Mr. Coolio's been in the music business for over 20 years (his age is estimated to be late 40s, mid 30s if he's listening). He can be found in a business suit at all times, usually an unusually bright pigment (the sky blue is his favorite, it goes best with his eyes), though the neck tie usually hangs loose in a casual manner.

Mr. Coolio deals only with small time musicians on their way up. If the hour is late enough and the mood relaxed, you might be able to get him to tell you the story of a young rock star diva who he gave the world to, only to be dumped when a better offer came around. Since then he deals only with people whose talent is bigger than their heads.

Mr. Coolio is single, if you ask him he'll tell you he's married to the music in his soul.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: i guess I'll go ahead and play the game because well i love playing this game even though i know i'll get distracted for a day or two and when i come back i'll have been long since dead....like always, sigh oh well guess the people know a wolf when they see one

Alexia Lee, 18

Alexia Lee was the dummer for a punk rock band trying to make it big. She, being the typical drummer, was wild and crazy, and couldn't sing worth...Nothing. She partied and danced and stayed out 'til the break of dawn. And sometimes, even longer. She stood at 5'9" and had a bright green fauxhawk. She had every facial piercing possible, excluding the Monroe. She had a blue rose tattooed on the inside of her right wrist, a memorial for her grandmother, a Cheshire Cat on her upper left arm with the phrase "Can you stand on your head?" and her very polite "F*** YOU!" tattoo, one letter to each finger. She was very much a typical punk rocker and lived and loved it.

((I can update a little more in a bit. This was just thrown together for a moment.)

Seth Able: 23

Seth works at the studio as a sound tech. He can often be found hanging out chatting with various artists who record at the studio. When he's not in the recording booth he is trying to put together enough material to launch a rap career...

On the plus side he's got some talent for rap, however unfortunately for him he's got more talent for comedy parodies of other artists work. Unfortunately because he's got no interest in becoming a parody artist.

Nice. =)

Just popping in for a mo' to let y'all know that I'm going to have to shove the time frame back a bit since we *really* need another player or two, and some of our possibles haven't been on to check messages. I've just gotten home, so once meds kick in I'll throw this open for introductory/open RP. I won't close sign-up until monday night or tuesday morning, so roles won't be PM'd out until tuesday evening. I want everyone to have a shot at character introduction without any role-bias. =)

And again, I'm really hoping to draw in a couple more players to make the game more viable. If you know someone who might be interested in playing, feel free to poke them. ;)

Since I know you both, and she wouldn't post for you without permission, yes. =)

Besides, if you want to "tweak" your character description later, you can always do so.

Hope you feel better soon!

great! =)

For those who already know who they're playing, the game thread is up and ready.

Open roleplay now - I'll post here when sign-up is closed and then PM out roles.

NO PM alliances - any alliances must be formed in game through RP.

If you need to PM back and forth about the game, please CC the PM to me so I know what's going on.

and have fun! =)

Mkay, character here.

Charmaine Meeks is a young bassist, just out of highschool, in a small-town band trying to make it big. Recently they've had some limited success at local venues. Heady with the taste of fame, the bandmembers have started to bicker amongst each other and consequently their music has suffered. Charmaine's had enough of the drama, and is thinking of leaving her current band, which seems likely to split soon anyway, but for what she doesn't know. Her secret love is marimba, and she has wild dreams of playing marimba in a rock band, but she knows this will likely never happen. For now she muses over this dilemma inwardly and struggles to hold the seams of her band together and patch up their music. Generally, Charmaine is quiet and introverted. She has serious doubts as to her musical ability, but forges ahead. She is tall and thin, with reddish hair falling just past her shoulders.

On behalf of Tanny I give you Carrie Dee's agent:

Vanessa Lochmond.

Female.

30s.

She dresses terribly - she thinks she's cutting edge but really she's a disaster.

She puts on a velvet sweet (yet annoying) tone of voice, but when she's annoyed starts to screech like a pig being murdered.

Despite the name (and the accent she tries to adopt) she isn't Scottish.

Carrie is her ideal 'prey' - Young and naive from a small town, with enough talent that she's not a total loss, but clueless as to her "rights". Vanessa filled Carrie and her family's head with a glitzy story of their daughter's potential, and as a result has the perfect weapon against Carrie when she tries to question her.

"But lassie, don't you want to make your parents proud?"

Okay, so at this moment our cast list reads:

Mynx - Carrie Dee

Savage Dragon - Mr. Coolio

NightFae - Alexia Lee

Gryphon - Seth Able

Giles Jordan - Giles Jordan

dragonqueen - Charmaine Meeks

Tanuchan - Vanessa Lochmond

I've been requested to leave this open a few hours longer for one more possible player. It's nearly 3pm Pacific Time now, I'll close sign up and PM roles at 10pm Pacific Time tonight. Y'all have time to get yourselves to the party and mingle, and I'll post the NPC kill tomorrow evening.

Wow. =)

I certainly didn't expect that!

Oddly, I didn't even really realize until I went to write up the lynching, that the wolf was the lone sound tech. Sorry if that made your job more difficult, Gryph!

NightFae was our baner.

dragonqueen was our seer.

They never got to perform in their roles, and a couple people didn't even get a chance to post =( because of the speedy resolution of the game.

I do hope you had a chance to have a bit of fun with it, however.

And thank you for the chance to mod a game! 'twas fun to plan and write.