The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Brainstorm: Tabloids and You

NickCall

We all know Tabloids are some of the more colourful venues of news reporting in the world, but what is it about them that makes them so unbelievable?

This is mostly just a brainstorm to help me write a story. I will eventually be using this as my "application" piece, and I'm actually excited about the idea behind it, so I want to make it a very good piece of work.

Essentially, what I would like from you guys is when you read a tabloid, what elements do you see that make you say, "I don't believe that!" be it shoddy pictures, or made up countries. I'm trying to address as many of the issues behind them as possible in my chosen tale.

Oh, and I'll say hi, too. I work with Ozy, and he kept telling me about this place, I told him, "Hey, I could use a place that'll get me writing again" and so on, so here I am. My handle says 'Memento Mori' but Nick works, too.

Hey Nick! Glad to see you about!

I don't read tabloids, personally, so what I remember of them is from back in the days of snagging a Weekly World News for the kids' dad when he was in bed sick, purely for distraction and amusement while he was recovering.

What makes a tabloid unbelievable? That would be quite the laundry list, actually. Poor grammar - how could accuracy have been verified if it hadn't even been edited for spelling or grammar? Loose to non-existant logic. Sensational stories along the line of "Innocent swimmer carrying Loch Ness Monster's baby!" And oh, the photos... grainy and obviously edited for those you can tell what it's supposed to be, the rest could be photos of a light fixture taken while the camera was moving, for all you could tell what anything was supposed to be. O_o

They were badly written, the photos were worse, and I never found them worth more than a snort and giggle standing in the checkout line bored enough to be scanning headlines.

1. Size and color of the headlines and number of exclamation points. Less is more.

2. Shoddy pictures that are eye-catchingly bad, like "WWII BOMBER FOUND IN CRATER ON THE MOON!!!" and the "crater" the plane just nestles into turns out to be the Sea of Tranquility. Bonus points if the curvature of the lunar horizon is visible in the distance.

3. Anything with "Bat Boy".

4. Headlines with a surprise ending set off by a comma or a colon, like: "Man Cuts Off Own Head With Chainsaw, Lives!" (actual headline, no pun intended)

5. Anything with aliens.

6. Anything without aliens.

7. Anything where aliens get an actual by-line.

Good luck with it, and 'hi' back.

Edited by Disco-neck Ted

Wyvern wanders into the Cabaret Room, sorting through a large pile of blank documents from his Devil's Advocate folder. He pauses as he overhears Memento Mori's question, and nods along to Disco-neck Ted's statement as he approaches in a quiet slither. The overgrown lizard nudges Momento Mori once he's in range, then hands the newcomer one of the blank sheets from his pile.

"I wouldn't really worry about it, y'know? Jussst keep the title 'Brainstorm: Tabloids and You,' and yer pretty much set." Wyvern frowns and folds two more blank sheets, half-distracted by the pile. "I mean, ssstorms of brains attributed to people reading the tabloids? Everyone knowsss that Psimon is behind that sort of stuff!"

Wyvern snickers, but goes quiet and lifts a claw to his chin as he repeats the title under his breath.

"Of course, then again, 'Alien Brainstorm: Tabloids, Bat Boy, and You' would also have a nice ring to it..." Wyvern folds another blank sheet and spears it on one of his horns, then turns to leave. "Anyway, be sure to fill out that geld donation form before you apply. I'll be catching ya around."

;-)