The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Recent Banning

Gyrfalcon

http://www.patrickdurham.net/themightypen/index.php?showtopic=6718

As a result of our new guest's investigation, Degenero Angelus was banned. Disco-neck Ted's findings were substantiated by Zadown, Wyvern, Sweet and myself after looking for the poem and finding it in many, many different places. The poem itself was written by Isabelle Di Caprio and was published in Mad Magazine in 1963 and 1969, well before Degenero was born.

Degenero was a long-standing member of our community, and I am sorry to have to do this, but the Pen will not allow plagiarism.

We ask that if you wish to post another author's work, please attribute it to the original author and place it in the Library.

If you have any questions, we, the Elders, will be happy to field them as we can.

Wait a minute, I'm confused. So you're saying the poem that he posted was a direct copy and paste job of Isabelle Di Caprio's poem or that he took her poem and composed a variation off of it?

Homages are common enough and credit is usually given if only implied, but copy and paste jobs are just sad sorry things.

If that is the case then I am very disappointed.

rev...

Well at least someone caught it. I guess it's a good thing we don't have a statute of limitations since it was posted like what 4 years ago??? I mean heck that's the year I joined. Man that's brings back memories. I was still in the pressure cooker of Korea in wake of 911. That was like the longest year of my life and up until this last year in college, it was also my most producted writing period. Wow, poor deggie. has it really been so long?

rev...

Edited by reverie

It's sad enough, but I think if Deggy had been around he would have been spoken with in person....and then banned.

He has been sent a personal email to notify him, and I think it was the only reaction possible.

Thank you to the Elders, who are the people having to hand out these not-so-nice messages.

shouldn't this be minstal hall topic btw? Or is this one of those example things.

If by 'example things' you mean letting our Initiates also know what's going on... yes. Unfortuantly, Initiates can't see the Minstral Hall, and something like this affects the Pen as a whole.

If by 'example things' you mean letting our Initiates also know what's going on... yes. Unfortuantly, Initiates can't see the Minstral Hall, and something like this affects the Pen as a whole.

Especially as it was a new arrival to our halls that first noticed the piracy.