The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A mission

It took Patham quite a while before he spoke up, studying both applicants at length. Cambio and Annael were waiting quite patiently, surrounded by a flock of butterflies flying peacefully around them.

"Sorry about the delay," Patham started, "but as you might or might not have heard, we have had some changes here at the AVV, and so your application was not duly processed yet. We shall try to remedy this unfortunate error as soon as it is humanly, and in case of my co-guild leader, gryphonly possible."

Patham picked up two sheets of paper from the table in front of him.

"All the paperwork seems to have been taken care of by my predecessor, so it seems that all I need is to give you a mission." He studied the papers more in detail. "Ah, but it seems that Sweetcherrie already gave you a task to accomplish. Finding guards for our guild halls is a task worthy of someone wishing to join. I think then that all that remains for me is to show you the room of portals from where you can set out, and wish you luck on this-"

"Patham!" Gryphon came crashing into the office. "There is another applicant here." Following close by Richard came into the room, his dark sunglasses now in a pocket of his trench coat. He seemed as if he were dressed for war, judging by all the various weapons fixed to his clothing.

"But Gryphon," Patham softly whispered so that only his co-guild leader could hear. "We only have two more amulets. How are we…"

"We could just send him along with these two and modify their missions slightly," Gryphon said.

"Very well then…Richard I see that you are called," Patham motioned at the paper which Gryphon had brought him. "You shall go with Cambio and Annael here, and they shall have their missions slightly modified," he said, quoting Gryphon almost verbatim.

"You still need to find guardians for these halls, yet you are also charged to bring back an amulet like this one." Patham held up his amulet for the three of them to examine.

"These amulets are necessary for each member of our guild. Due to a mysterious force attracting these amulets quite strongly in the vicinity of one of the portals, most of the amulets close-by have already been recovered, so it is possible that you may need to travel far in order to find one of them."

Richard nodded. He had already travelled far following directions given by the Info, and he was ready to travel a slight bit more. Annael and Cambio might have been slightly annoyed a having their assignment made harder by the appearance of Richard, but they did not show it.

Just then a butterfly landed on Gryphon's head, which he gently brushed away with a movement of his wings.

"Come, I'll show you the portal room, where you can begin your journey."

He led them down to the basement, where they were faced with the tough choice of which portal to take.

Finally the three makeshift companions made a decision and stepped into the swirling currents of magic occupying the space between the two sides of the stone arch, ready to face the unknown on the other side.

In the unknown world, they nearly stumbled into a rock face as they fell from out of nowhere. Cambio only barely managed to regain his balance after Richard had crashed into him. As our three adventurers stood up, and dusted themselves off, Cambio couldn't help feeling the weight of a stare on his shoulders. He thought that it was Richard, but every time he looked at him, he simply could not catch him sending glances his way. And it wasn't Annael either.

He only realised who, or what was watching them when it was already too late. The yellow eye, with the black vertical slit in the middle was almost as large as the palm of Richard's hand, and the scaly body which accompanied it was enormous.

This wasn't an Almost-Dragon, as a well known member of the Pen. It wasn't almost. With the rock face behind them, it seemed that any chance of escape was cut off. Yet, after several long seconds passed, it had to become obvious that the dragon was eyeing them with something other than hunger or the need for destruction. Whatever he wanted was up to them to guess.

That day, Cambio looked like a lithe elven girl and she squealed sharply before he could restrain the reaction. The dragon growled.

"Oh my GOSH!" Cambio took a deep breath and tried to center himself and then turned to look at his comrades. Neither of them reacted in that split second so he turned back to the dragon.

"umm, Greetings!"

OOC: I've started an OOC thread for this and I spent too much time on it. I'm at work and I've got to start working. Feel free to continue from here, you two. If no one does, I'll try to write more in a bit.

Annael blinked, raised an eyebrow.

"Ah, Cambio, change...I think I get it now...." Looking at Richard who just shrugged, Annael looked back at the dragon and sighed. "I just knew this wasn't going to be easy. What's every easy anymore." Taking a few steps forward, Annael looked at the dragon and gave a little smile.

"Yes, Greetings my friend. I have the feeling that we stumbled in during the middle of your sleep. Please, assure yourself, we're not here seeking a tooth, or a claw of yours. We're just visitors, and we mean you no harm." Brushing a butterfly off her nose, Annael again smiled at the beast. The butterfly, not fearing for its saftey, drifted casually over to the dragon, fluttered around it and settled on top of its head. The dragon gave a blink, a very slow, long blink, then let its eyes slowly drift up towards where the butterfly sat. Turning back to look at Annael, it gave a snort, a puff of smoke coming from its nostrils.

"Yes, well, hmm...," Turning to look back at her companions, Annael shurgged and try to think of what to do. The dragon didn't seem very forthcoming with any information. A sudden noise made Annael turn towards the dragon as it took a few steps forward, forcing the group back. Cambio gave another little squeal and move to stand behind Richard, who was still without expression. Annael moved over to stand next to the others and leaned in towards Richard.

"Do you have any experience with dragons? This is a little out of my realm."

Edited by Annael

(OOC: Uh...don't seem to have permission to post in the AAV out of character room. Richards details are set out here)

"Mine too I'm afraid, we don't have dragons where I'm from." Richard's voice was cool and unruffled as he gazed at the dragon, estimating it's damage potential. Annael noticed him slowly moving his hand out from under his coat however, and fervently hoped the dragon hadn't seen the movement.

"It's a fascinating creature though..." Richard quickly noted the length and size of the creature, estimated muscle strength and calculated total mass. His head tipped sideways slightly as a voice heard only by him was heard to be cheering.

Standing at ease, he gave communication a second try. "You wouldn't happen to have seen a medallion around here somewhere, would you?"

OOC: Patrick this was my attempt after our conversation this morning/afternoon. If there's anything I should change tell me and I'll be happy to.

The dragon looked at Richard and if it hadn't been a dragon, one might have said it was laughing at these humans. There was no response though and everyone paused a moment.

Finally, Cambio sighed. "Well, guys, there is something I can do. I can't do this for long though and it's pretty damn tiring. Let's hope it doesn't eat me."

For a moment, every muscle in his body seemed tensed and Cambio held his breath as he strived to contain the turmoil that was forming his shape--and it sometimes seemed, his life. The other two waited and then *pop*

Cambio had become a tense baby dragon. He was about human sized and he bowed his head in what he hoped was respect.

"Umm, pardon my form, sir...or ma'am, sorry. I mean, I'm sorry I'm a dragonling but I don't know any other form that could speak Draconic. All respect is intended, believe me. But ...."

The hillside rumbled. "The form of an exalted Dragon! You try my patience, small ones."

Cambio the dragonling bowed as best he could, almost knocking over Richard in the process.

"Your greatness, we didn't mean to intrude. But this is our portal and we just appeared here. In fact, you don't think you might be willing to stop intruders from passing this way...except for us who belong?

The dragon snorted and the hot air blasted the three.

"You are on my hillside, rats. What will you do for me?"

Cambio blinked and thought 'I should have seen that one coming.'

"Umm, whatever you want sir...or ma'am, I mean."

The dragon blew a bit of hot air at Cambio. "Silence or you shall bore me. There is a town off to the east that keeps hiring heros to kill me. Now, I am quite capable of killing all their heros but I am tired of killing rats for a bit. Go and tell the villagers not to attack me and maybe I will let you and your friends through this portal. I do not promise to stop eating the villagers though. Be careful of your task, for if I have to burn the village, that will be quite a bother for me. If I have to do that, will make sure I get you too.

By the way, you make a terrible Dragon but it amuses me that you tried. I could have spoken your language if I'd really wanted to, you know."

Having finished giving the questors their immediate task the dragon yawns, showing a mouth full of very very sharp teeth.

Snapping it's jaws shut with an all too audible snap it turns to regard the three in front of it again.

"Why are you still here? I thought I set you a task? Be about it!"

There is no real warning, just a flick of a claw on the draconic foreleg and Annael, Cambio and Richard are suddenly overcome with a whirling sensation like they're caught in a whirlpool or a tornado. The whirling is joined by a roaring sound and it takes the trio a moment to realise that it's probably the dragon laughing before everything goes dark.

When light returns the questors find themselves high upon a mountaintop looking out over a forest. In the extreme distance off to the east they can barely make out what might be a town, however their gaze keeps being drawn back to the forest, dark and menacing at the bottom of the mountain. It's trees seem to reach for them of their own accord...

Richards eyes scanned the forest before them for some sign of a threat, some reason behind the vague feeling of uneasiness that seemed to be creeping over him. Something about the forest made him want to Cloak, but that was foolish. His eyes detected no unusual signs of life, no detectable threats. Slowly he began to make his way down the slope of the mountain side, placing his feet carefully. When he failed to hear the sounds of the other two, he stopped and looked curiously over his shoulder.

"Coming?"

Then as he turned he saw why Cambio and Annael were delayed. At first he thought Cambio had vanished but upon looking closer the scene was different. Utterly exhausted from his time as a dragonling, Cambio had turned into a toadstool. It would probably be a bit before his body was rested enough to turn into something better.

The little brown toadstool turned red adn then flashed blue as it tried to say "Don't leave me!" Whether or not Annael understood I can't say but after a bit of thought she shrugged and scooped up the flashing toadstool before walking after Solivagus

Lasiera stepped through the portal Patham had indicated her, and arrived as the shapeshifter had said, in the central square off a peaceful little village. Around here the square was bustling with activity, merchants trying to sell of their latest wares on market day.

Patham hadn't given her many indications and it was up to Lasiera to decide where she was going to start trying to repay this favour. Would she have to meet with the village's elders or would events turn out so that she would be able to repay the favour with her own actions?

Hopping a little to keep up with Richard's long strides, Annael held the toadstool tight as they made their way through the trees. As they progressed deeper into the forest, it was if they had entered night. The canopy of the trees blocked out all light, making it difficult to see. Tripping on exposed roots on the path, Annael mumbled and hopped along on one foot, her bare foot throbbing. Feeling something grab onto her hair and yank, Annael tumbled back, landing on her bottom. Hearing her little "ommph", Richard stopped and turned around.

"Why are you on the ground?"

"Well, you know, I figured that it was a good time to stop and have a picnic. What do you say?"

"Why is there a tree branch attached to your head?"

"It's the newest fashion. I was thinking about bringing it back to the keep and introducing it to all the women." Blinking and not saying anything, Richard just stared at Annael. Sighing, Annael put the toadstool in her lap and tried to remove the branch from her hair.

"The tree kinda reached out and grabbed me. I don't think that they really want us here." As Annael struggled with the branch and her curls, roots of the tree came up from the ground and wrapped around her, starting to pull her back towards one of the biggest trees.

"Hey now, what...eekk!" The toadstool tumbled from her lap and rolled to rest at Richards feet. Richard watched as Annael was sucked into the tree and disappeared.

"Hmm...this is not good." Stooping to pick up Cambio, he looked at it. "Any ideas?" Turning to look at the once more solid tree, Richard wondered where Annael was.

• 2 weeks later...

Richards mind scanned through the possiblities before him, and found only one. He had to get inside the tree, he could do no good from outside, short of blowing up the tree, and that might not be the best idea for his companions. He looked curiously at the toadstool he has recieved on Annael's dissapearence, but it was either sleeping or had nothing to suggest. It was hard to tell really. Command wasn't offering any advice either, they seemed to have been shocked into silence by the actions of what appeared to be a simple tree. One voice had suggested napalm, but he wasn't ready for such a drastic measure. He had always preferred stealth and guile over excessive violence, especially where comrades were concerned.

Slowly he approached the tree that had taken hold of his butterfly surrounded companion, sitting down on the ground and leaning against the trunk, his muscles tense at the mystery of what might happen next. He felt the toadstool quiver in his hands, but it also seemed unable to suggest anything. He waited there, and hoped the tree would swallow him too, so that he might find some way to break out at a later time.

Lasiera shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts. She needed to do something for this town, but the man who'd led her here hadn't told her how big a favor they owed the place.

Best to start by finding someone who would know. She looked around and found a cripple sitting beside the road.

"Pardon me, sir..." She looked down at her feet as she approached him, "I'm new to town. You wouldn't happen to know where the elders live, would you?"

Surrounded by total darkness, Annael cleared her throat.

"Hello?" Her voice ecoed back at her. Reaching up into her hair, she gently took a little butterfly into her hand. Cuping her other hand around it to create a little cave around the insect, she gently blew into her hands. Feeling the butterfly give a little start, it began to flutter it's wings. Opening her hands, the butterfly lifted up in the air, its wings beginning to glow. Brighter and brighter the light jumped off its rapidly flutter wings until it shone light to the surrounding area.

Looking around herself, she realised this wasn't a normal tree. Carved into the bark were various symbols, ones that Annael had never seen before in her rather extensive life time. Squinting to see them better, they looked to be some sort of writing, but she couldn't tell for sure. Resembling ancient Norse runes, that was where the resemblance stopped.

"Hmm. Now, if only I could tell what those meant," Annael said to her light bearing butterfly.

"Ask, and ye shall receive," a voice spoke from out of the darkness, startling the angel. Before her eyes, the symbols started to shift and change, moving around eachother until they were reassembled into english.

"Speak the name

Of the dame

Who's fair face

Destroyed our race."

"Well now, Voice in the Darkness, um, which race are you referring to?" Silence. Giving a little hmph, Annael mumbled to herself about bodiless voices making false promises.

"Helen of Troy." Nothing.

"Oh yeah, that was the face that launced a thousand ships. How the heck am I going to figure this out?"

Sighing, Annael slumped against the tree and decided it was time to reach deep into her head to sort through thousands of years worth of memories to see what she could figure out.

Edited by Annael

The cripple looked at Lasiera, clearly surprised at what he was seeing. "Now, I might be knowing that. Then again, I might not. Ol' Terence has to rely on generosity to get by. Might you be having perhaps a few spare coppers?"

Lasiera frowned. Citydwellers always did worry about coins and such things. "I don't have any coins, I'm afraid. I might be able to do something for you, though." Ignoring his quizzical look, she looked at him more closely, taking in his injuries. He had sores all over his legs, and a missing eye from the look of it. One of his arms had been broken and hadn't healed right. She could tell that he wasn't breathing as well as he could be, and there were deep scars in his torso that showed through his ragged shirt.

In the same way that she had always done it, she fluttered upward and sat delicately on his shoulder, resting a hand on his head and calling on this new world to speed his body's healing. Over the course of moments, his legs healed and she felt the scars in his back loosen somewhat, though she knew that he had injuries too deep for her remedy with something so simple as a basic curative spell.

The man, Terence, pushed himself up wobbily to his feet, and grinned as she leaped gently to the ground. "Can't say as I know what it is you did, miss, but I appreciate it. Back hasn't felt this good in years. Elders live this way." So saying, he picked up his walking stick and cup, and began to walk with only a slight limp. Lasiera followed, oblivious to the stares of those who passed by.

• 2 weeks later...

Lasiera

Although outwardly the beggar had seemed amiable after Lasiera had cured him but on the inside he was slightly annoyed with the little creature destroying what brought him his daily income. Yes, he did feel better the way he was, but looking and feeling better, he could rely less on the goodwill of people in giving him a few coins. He almost cursed out loud as he realised that he might have to look for some work again. Despite these thoughts, the beggar was a simple men with a good heart, who was not one to leave a favour unthanked, even if he had not asked for that favour, and even would have possibly preferred not getting it.

He led Lasiera down a winding street. A row of similar houses on the left side of the street had charred walls, and one of them was almost completely burnt down. The cripple noticed Lasiera gazing at these houses.

"Dragon," he offered as an explanation but would not go into any more details. Either he was afraid of revealing more than he should or he did not know anything more.

"Shortcut through here," he said presently standing right in front of the burnt down house. Only then did Lasiera spot that indeed, behind the charred husk of what once must have been the house of a middle-class family, another street was running parallel to the one they were on.

The parallel street was bustling with activity, many merchants and peasants offering their wares for sale. The cripple navigated through the ruins of the home expertly.

Walking past a food stand, Lasiera could not help noticing him pocket an apple, without leaving any payment.

Annael, Richard and Cambio

Suddenly, finding the answer to the riddle acquired a renewed sense of urgency for Annael, trapped inside the tree, as slowly the bark of the tree around her started closing in on her with an undeniable force.

A voice echoed inside the tree, its voice even carrying out to Richard and Cambio, who was slowly starting to acquire the energy needed to shapeshift again.

"Long were the years

since her passing.

Unchecked the tears

sad songs we still sing."

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting on the ground with her back against one side of the tree, her knees bent and her feet braced against the other side of the tree, Annael was slowly being squished. Feeling the tree shrink some more, Annael wiggled her bum a little as her knees moved closer to her chest. Sighing and clearing her throat, she opened her mouth to speak to the tree, but no sound would come out. She had been saying female names for hours now, all to no avail. Every name that she knew had been spoken, and then a few that she made up, and still nothing happened. Resting her head against the tree, and closing her eyes, Annael never thought that she would see the end from the inside of a tree.

Her butterflies fluttering about her anxiously, Annael gave a little shrug and was squeezed more by the tree. She figured she had maybe an hour more before her body wasn't going to be able to fit inside the tree anymore.

Taking one of the butterflies in her hand, she whispered softly to it before taking her cupped hand and pressing it flat against the tree trunk. Feeling it flutter against her palm and then nothing, she moved her hand to see that the butterfly was gone.

Outside the tree....

Richard frowned as he felt a a fluttering against the back of his neck. He moved forward a little and a butterfly flew out from behind him and hovered in front of his face.

"Richard, get me out of here!" The butterfly yelled in Annael's voice.

"What? How? But you're in the tree!"

"Not for much longer! The tree is shrinking with me in it! If we don't get me out of here, I'm going to become sap!"

"Hmmm. Can you move away from the trunk any?"

"Not much, but I will try. What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to try and break you out."

Richard stood up and put Cambio off to the side so that he wouldn't be hurt by pieces of the tree. He cocked his head to the side as he received instructions on the best course of action.

Short of having an axe to try and get into the tree, Richard was going to have to use his hands.

Removing his jacket and throwing it off to the side, he rolled his neck and shrugged his shoulders to relax them a bit. Taking a deep breath, he drew back his right arm and punched the tree. Surprisingly, his fist went right through it. Lifting an eyebrow in surprise, he felt a hand clutch his.

"I think you just pissed off the tree! It's shrinking faster!"

Richard withdrew his hand and started to tear at the bark, ripping pieces off and throwing them to the side. Annael started from the inside, giving a little shriek as the tree pressed in on her. Annael managed to squeeze her head and shoulders through the hole that she and Richard had made.

"Quick, pull me out! Pull me out!"

Richard grabbed Annael by the arms and pulled on her. She braced her feet on the opposite side of the inside of the tree and pushed. With an "oumph" Annael flew out of the tree and into Richard, both of them tumbling onto the ground, arms, legs and butterflies everywhere. They ended up a few feet from the tree. Sitting up and pushing curls out of her eyes, Annael eyed the tree that had held her captive.

"Suddenly, I have an aversion to this forest. What say you we get out of here?"

Richard got to his feet and helped Annael up. "I couldn't agree more. Let's collect Cambio and make our way to that town." Stopping to grab his coat, Richard shrugged into it and picked Cambio up from where he had placed him. He started off through the trees when he felt Annael slip her hand into his.

"Sorry, I don't feel like being dinner again. And unless you feel like carrying me, I'm holding tight to your hand." Richard just gave a snort as he lead the way through the forest, the trees ahead surrounding them in darkness.

Edited by Annael

Suddenly Cambio started to shake. Richard looked at the toadstool with mild disturbance. "I wonder what he's going to become now."

"I'm not sure but you'd better put him down in case he's heavy." Annael warned.

It was just in time too. Cambio, even as a toadstool had felt the change coming. He had tried to restrain it so as not to crush Richard's hand but one could only wait so long. As soon as Cambio's root touched the earth, he almost exploded into a large rhinocerous. His rapidly expanding bulk knocked both Richard and Cambio over. Still the grass was soft and neither were hurt. As they picked t hemselves up, Cambio did a little gallop around them. In this form he was quite fast and it was quite a relief to not be stuck as that bloody toadstool. Once more he cursed this stupid enchantment he was under and scowled grumpily at the world. What else could a rhinocerous be but grumpy after all.

With extreme politeness Richard offered Annael a hand and quickly helped her up. For a moment they stood, recovering themselves and then they saw Cambio's broad back, waiting. He sidestepped toward them and the offer was obvious.

Perhaps the first people to ride on rhinocerous-back they discovered that it was extremely bumpy but quite efficient. The trees sped by and the two humanoids were jolted up and down as the quadruped jogged morosely.

• 2 weeks later...

Lasiera shook her head in quiet disgust, still only paying the barest of attention to the hum of human life around her. Terence' casual disregard for another man's work couldn't be helped, and she didn't care to lose her guide over it, but it still irritated her a bit.

She was startled out of her irritation, however, when she felt something hard and furry scrape at her foot as she fluttered along behind the old beggar. Looking down revealed it to be a dog. Black and white fur intermingled across its body, and a long tail shook side to side as it sat back down on the ground after pawing at her foot.

"Hey! Flying lady!" The dog barked, "You be my friend?"

Terence looked back at the sound. "Don't worry about the stray. Eat's better'n me, he does."

"Certainly, I'll be your friend," Lasiera smiled, and burst into a fit of giggles at Terence's look of befuddlement and impatience. "I'm doing something important, so I can't play, but I'd love it if you'd tag along." She turned to Terence, forcing her expression to calmness, "how much farther to the elders?"

Holding onto Richard for dear life, Annael didn't so much as pray that they would soon reach the town as she did beg. Finally, Rhino-Cambio came to a halt just outside the town. Annael tried to get off the back of the rhino gracefully, but ended falling into a crumpled heap. Trying to get to her feet, she glared as Richard jumped off Cambio's back and stood next to her all gracefully and proud. Gritting her teeth, Annael pushed herself to her feet and tried to take a few steps and promptly feel on her face.

"Oh blooming feathers! That's it. I'm never riding on the back of a Rhino again." Annael felt Richard take a hold of her elbow and pull her to her feet. With a supporting arm around her waist, Richard helped Annael stand.

"Cambio, well, I think it best if you stay here. I think that if you accompanied us into the town, it would draw attention. Mostly likely unwanted attention, don't you?" Annael said to Rhino-Cambio. Cambio lowered his head in agreement and wandered off to a grove of nearby trees and began to eat some grass. Annael looked at Richard who nodded his head and helped Annael walk into town.

"Where do you think we should begin?" Richard asked as they passed various vendors selling all sorts of goods.

"I'm not really sure. I guess the best way to get the townspeople to stop going after the dragon would be to talk to the town elders, don't you?"

"Yes. Now we just have to find them." Stopping by a fruit stand, Richard asked the peddler if he could tell them where the elders were.

"Just walk to the end of this lane, and turn left. Keep going until you see the inn. The House of the Elders is that way." Thanking the peddler, Richard and Annael made off in the way that they were directed.