The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Skins are back

Gwaihir

Well, Patrick and I (but frankly, mostly Patrick) have recolored the necessary icons so we have our skins back. Also blessings on Yui, because she told us how to do it and without her advice it wouldn't have been possible.

This is all a work in progress but we will be fixing things as we go. Anyone who wants to help recolor icons is welcome to PM one of us. The noir skin still needs tons of work and tan needs enough work itself.

Edited to add:

To change skins, on the main page go down to the bottom left and you'll see a pull down bar. Note that the Noir is not functional yet because one can't click on anything with that skin on.

However, these are still a work in progress. Some skins have impaired functionality (especially the ones with ---- in front of them.)

Edited by Gwaihir

So that Gwai and me don't get lots of repetitive PMs about icons or colours not working, could you post any icons or colours you find which aren't working in this thread? It would also be helpful if you can note where you found the icon or colour which isn't working, a link to the dead/blue icon is even more helpful.

We're mostly working on the tan skin now, but later might update the other skins also.

Yui, we changed things in The Mighty Tan Pen.

Xaious and anyone else encountering a skin in which you can't get back try pressing back and rechanging the skin to something which works, if that fails, post in this thread and we'll change it back for you.

Edit: I have just turned off those skins which severely don't work. At the moment we're working on correcting problems with the Tan skin.

In the Tan Pen, the quote boxes and things like the announcement about a post having been posted are still blue. And as I'm looking at it, the bars for the reply formatting and the box that says "clickable smilies" are still blue, which I assume is not right, seeing as how the other header bars are brown.

Was that confusing?

This shouldn't be a current issue for those who are wanting to try new skins, since the ones which severely don't work have been turned off.

*however*

I suggest that you open your profile in a new window/tab (right click your screen name to do so) so that should a skin change in your current window go horribly awry you can change it back in the other window.

It looks great, guys. The Pen feels more like home in Mighty Pen tan. :D

Three things for you to look at:

1) The background for the Fast Reply table is stark white default. It would probably fit in better in our pale tan.

2) The Board Message screen still has some default blue and default white areas. If you want to see it, just hit the 'View New Topics' button twice in fast proximity. That should give you a spamming error... Like it does to me when I'm bored. ;)

3) There are still some subtle missing icons. For example, look between the Edit and Quote buttons on the top right of this post. That +/- symbol is the placeholder for an icon. Similarly, when you hit the Edit button itself, the Full vs. Quick choices are supposed to have little arrows beside them... or something. I forget what those icons are, actually. Sorry. ^_^;;;;

The recolored icons on the rest of the board look really great, Patrick. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Yours,

~Yui

Edit: Oh, I see what's going on. With regards to icons, you should take a glance back at the default blue skin again. The buttons are pretty different in the new boards, so the Quote vs. MultiQuote (or + Quote) vs. Reply stuff is a little switched around. You can see the little arrows on the Edit button that way, too.

Just a list of what is done/needs to be done:

Done:

Multiquote buttons added.

Redirection screen colours fixed.

Little arrows in pop down menus added.

Rich text reply box colour fixed.

Clickable smilies colour fixed.

Fast reply box colour fixed.

Search flood protection colour fixed.

Fixed blue lines.

Fixed font colours in send PM screen.

To do:

Buttons to maybe draw better:

Go button.

Multiquote add.

Profile card.

Round ' "REPLY ' button's corners.

The line between the post and the lower button bar is still blue, and everyone's signatures are too, but I'm not sure if you can do anything about that one...

Oh, and there are some shadowlines blue still, like the border around the loginscreen box..

I hope you know what I mean heh.. you guys are doing a brilliant job, thanks!

I fixed the Go image that I knew of last night. There may be another one missing though. (and yes, the button is a bit weird, sometime when I have a bit more time I'll fix it.) It's still better than nothing :P.

absolutely, function over form in initial runs! things can always be tweaked once they're *working*.

*huge hugs* just looking at how much of a headache this is being, i'm SO not holding my breath for the Noir skin! Thank you, all three of you, for taking this on and making it possible.

• 3 weeks later...

If you select the IPB 2.1 Default it's there in blue. If you select the IPB Default or the Mighty Pen Tan (Mighty Tan Pen?) It's there in brown in both. IF you select the Pre 2.0 skins, you have the Invision logo and no Pen sword. At least, as I just checked the available skins, that's what shows on my system. Which skin do you have selected?

The skins with a * next to them shouldn't be selectable, at least I had set them to not visible, my guess is you can only see them because of having admin powers. The two which are supposed to be visible and working are the Mighty Tan Pen and IPB 2.1 Default.

mmm. could be. hadn't thought to log out and check which ones were available...(though I don't think they *are* available unless logges in...) ;) just cycled through them to see which one she might have gotten switched to which *didn't* have the graphic. Of the two which should be available, it's *there* so something must be blocking it on her system. Probably have to start with the standard "clear cookies/clear cache" and go from there. :-S

I have IPB 2.1 Default selected, but I guess it's not the skin after all because I can see it now. I'm on the same computer (I love having a laptop) but a different internet connection... I'm not sure what that means the problem is, but as long as it's just me (and just sometimes) I won't worry. I just thought when I didn't see it that perhaps the skin itself had something wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just checked under all of the skin settings and I couldn't find the setting for what fields to be displayed next to posts, so I'm pretty sure that this doesn't have anything to do with the skins, but is some more global setting.

While someone finds a solution to this, geld totals can be seen in people's profiles.