The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Save the Princess

Gwaihir

You look at your watch because it's time and he's not here. Well, to make the best of things you try to distract yourself by looking at the decorations...this room isn't used except occasionally for formal announcements and you can't remember being here before. Passively you wonder whether it's the King who's in love with silk or his decorator--clearly someone is though! It only seemed a bit odd to see a silk tapestry--or even a whole room of silk tapestries--but even the carpets and wallcloth (think wallpaper) is silk, as is the ensignia of the royal family that hangs above the big doors. Heck, the doors are covered in silk. You look at your watch, the hands aren't silk yet but their movement indicates that it's been ten minutes.The man next to you smiles and you're about to make a joke when finally the high door opens.

After the King and Queen come out, the King talks a bit about his daughter and the Queen cries a bit but frankly the silk room is more interesting. It's not as if you didn't already know that the princess had been kidnapped. Of course it's a tragedy but you are about ready to find the culprit and get her back...or at least get something to eat.

After the King finishes speaking everyone is moving to leave when a long haired dwarf rushing out. "Greetings all! As the King has mentioned it is a great tragedy that we have lost the lovely Princess Oksana. However, it's up to us in this room to get her back. Naturally the police will search, but the real work always happens quietly. I will be coordinating the search effort so any questions should come from me and I will pass on any information I have. Unfortunately, at present we know nothing. Please tell me if you find out what happened and we will investigate.

If you have a complaint about anyone here or think anyone here is violating the rules of our fine city please tell me. We couldn't have that happening now could we.

Naturally, if you are the one who helps us bring back our princess, you will be invited to ask for whatever you want; anything in the kingdom.

I release you all to search and converse amongst yourselves. Good luck!

OOC: Clues are out (everyone should have recieved a PM of some sort.) and game is started. Enjoy.

First opportunity to vote would usually be Saturday, but voting will close at the end of Friday (eastern time) instead to not exclude Sweetcherrie. I'll remind you later in the OOC thread.

The silk was absolutely fabtastic, amazing, gorgeous! Dennis was taken away by all the magnificent colours of the hall, and he was already thinking how the interior decorating could be improved upon by adding some flowers here and there when the King and Queen entered.

The first thing he noticed on the royal pair was that the queen’s dress was absolutely horrible, how on earth could a queen wear something like that? And oh, her hair, yugh. That was so totally out of fashion, and it was clear that she’d never heard of facial care before. Dennis had to admit however that the King looked rather spiffy, his legs showed rather well in those green tights, very manly.

Dennis twirled a lock of his own well-conditioned hair around his finger, and looked around the audience. Most of them had certainly never heard of fashion, and that lady over there was wearing a very nice dress, but that colour would look better on a pig than on here. No, if it would’ve been his choice he would definitely have chosen a different colour dress…something to go with her eyes probably.

When the dwarf came out he gasped. There he was again, that strange little man from the market. Dennis his hand went down into his pocket and his fingers played over the little puzzle box. His thoughts went over the note that had been in the box, and he decided that that was where he would look first.

While the dwarf was speaking Dennis’ attention drifted off to the court jester in the corner. What a built that man had, his muscled legs showed beautifully in the multi-coloured clothes, and Dennis felt his loins stir. He coughed manly-like and moved his handmade jacket slightly to cover up the feelings this man had awoken in him. He would simply have to find out who that man was!

He shook his hair back, and tried to focus back on what was happening in the court, but his eyes kept drifting to that delicious jester.

Adrian watched the dwarf make his speech quietly from the right corner of the room. He liked standing here because no one ever noticed that he had a clear view of all thier faces from the shadows. Everyone thought him a simple jester, and that was the way he liked it. Well, almost everone, he thought as he fingered the letter in his pocket.

He was concerned for the princenss, to be sure, but he was confident he could find her in a reasonably short time. He was more concerned that someone knew his talents went beyond acrobatics. That could be a weakness, and he had to find out who it was.

As the dwarf finished his speech, small groups of talk broke out, and Adrian began making his rounds about the room. He decided on juggling for now. Quietly walking around the room, listening to see what people knew and trying to figure out who had discovered him. Dennis seemed to be trying to catch his eye, maybe it was him? Doubtful. Adrian had always thought him a bit of a simpleton, but still, he'd have to talk with him later on, alone.

How does one properly wash a silken floor? Do they replace this frippery every time a crowd steps into the room, or do they just send it to the cleaners? Or do the servants... Shaking his head in puzzlement, Imar steps softly into the chamber, taking in his surroundings, picking up bits and strands of "idle" gossip as they waft about the room like incense laced with too much honey and a touch of vinegar. He stood slightly apart from the encircled social, but not quite out of earshot.

Just as he started to question the sanity of that dwarf he'd consulted in the marketplace (and by extension, his own), a hush fell on the court and the kind and queen emerged from a silk curtain. They spoke for a while…princess was missing, reward for whosoever manages to “rescue” her, yatta-yatta we’re so important, etc. Imar yawned, with great subtlety, and waited for something relevant to be said. Then the dwarf showed up. Eyebrows shifted up and down, more talking…yeah, she’s still missing, police aren’t reliable to it’s up to you guys to find her, and we have no evidence…

Just then, Imar noticed a small box that had somehow found its way into a pouch dangling from his belt. Glancing down, he picked it up, fiddled with the Rubix Cube-like panels on it, and discovered a little fortune-cookie like slip of paper inside. As he held it up to his face, anyone who bothered to look would notice his bristly eyebrows rise slightly, furrow momentarily in concentration, and stay that way before he carefully folded the slip of paper in half and stuff it in his pouch.

And with that moment, the dwarf disappeared off the stage and the schmoozing returned to its previous dull roar. Imar shrugged and turned to the nearest circular clique with the nonchalance of a large toothsome predator with just a little space left to fill in his cavernous belly.

Edited by Mirrizin

Lady Yvonne D'Ander surveyed the room. Most of what she saw was the usual crowd, all dressed up and animatedly discussing the Princess' disappearance. There was Lord Henry, who was rather too fond of holding hands in public - a disgusting habit. In private, of course, Lady D'Ander enjoyed holding hands as much as anyone, but it was a very private thing indeed. Standing near the door was Prince Richard. He was too quiet; Lady D'Ander liked someone with whom she could discuss things. And - oh! - who was that? The man saw her notice him, even met her eyes for a moment, then looked away. How odd. He had clearly been looking at her, and wasn't embarrassed to have been caught looking, but he hadn't offered a smile, or come over to talk. Just then the King and Queen came in, so she filed away the man for later thought.

Partway through the conversation, Lady D'Ander heard a discrete cough, and saw that it had come from that same man, who was now blushing and rearranging his coat. He was looking in another direction, though, and Lady D'Ander strained to see what woman had made him cough and blush. Obviously he was trying to flirt with someone, but who? Surely not Lady Amanda, the only one who seemed to be in the direction he was looking. Perhaps he was playing hard-to-get, and cleverly facing the other way, when really he was flirting with her. It would explain the lack of a smile.

When the speeches ended, the man left quickly, apparently trying to catch up with someone. Still Lady D'Ander failed to see anyone that it could be. She sighed inwardly and made her way to her rooms. She would have lots to talk about to her maid, tonight, what with this strangely flirting man on top of the princess' disappearance.

"A kidnapping, si?" - Alfonso murmured to himself, his thoughts split between the riding lesson he was giving in half an hour and the news the royal couple and the dwarf had just announced. People around him were all glancing around, wondering whether the person standing just next to them was a possible suspect. A woman standing next to him, whom Alfonso seemed to recall was named Lady Yvonne, usually surrounded by men, seemed to be missing her entourage today.

Alfonso chuckled to himself as she watched a man leaving. The spaniard wondered to himself whether the man was Lady D'Ander's next target. Alfonso had to admit to himself that he was not untouched by the Lady's beauty, even though he did not follow her around like a faithful hound, as he had seen men do in the past.

Time was passing, and standing next to this woman was just wasted time. Alfonso did not weave a maze of lies for himself to get lost in. He knew that even if he managed to get this woman, she would most probably just discard him, whenever she found another plaything.

Alfonso turned, the sound of his riding boots on the soft carpet marking his passage. His riding lesson awaited, and he had never missed one before.

"Vamos a ver how everything unfolds."

Imar continues wandering around the room, mutting things about "trunks" and "tusks", before settling alongside Dennis, who, like most of the other "players" as Imar had come to think of them, seemed content to sit back and watch the curious play wafting around them. "I couldn't help but notice," he said loudly enough to be overheard but softly enough to create the illusion of privacy, "that you also were given one of these." He held up his rubix cube box, now resealed. I was wondering if perhaps we could agree to some sort of pooling of resources, in the interest of hastening the rescue of our dear departed princess.

With a sigh Dennis decided that he had to have that jester, his muscled legs, his pecs, his...what the?!

Someone had sat down next to him and the idiot had sat straight in his line of view! Dennis tried to look around him to see Adrian still, but then the ponytail even started talking to him. With discontent Dennis pulled his eyes away from where Gorgeous Adrian had been just two minutes ago and looked at the person sitting next to him.

Dennis observed the man next to him. He had obsiously poor skin, and should use some of the imported lotions Dennis always used. Of course he wasn't going to borrow it to him, but the poneytail could definitely use it. He was nothing special in Dennis' eyes, except that he had a rather sensual mouth, very kissable.

Oh my! The mouth was moving as well. Dennis tore himself away from thoughts of kissing and attempted to focus on what the ponytail was saying.

"....departed princess."

Departed? The princess was still alive, non? Dennis was just about to open his mouth to notice this when his brain told him that it had registered some other things as well. Ponytail had made him an offer to share their knowledge. Wouldn't it be great to find the princess first? Maybe he would be able to impress that yummy jester with it. Yes, he wouldn't mind sharing information, but now was not the time and neither the place to do it.

Dennis put on his "tough" face, narrowed his eyes slightly, and said as calm as possible.

"And what makes you think you're little cube is worth my valuable information? and what's more, why should I trust you?"

Erilyn watched from the back of the room, almost blending in the shadows of a corner. She definitely had a disliking of crowds, but she did what was proper in her duty as a lady-in-waiting. She noticed Lady D'Ander's interest in Dennis, but her sharp eyes saw also the jester right behind the Lady.

Hmm... more likely to be interested in Adrian...

Erilyn kept her pretty face in a schooled pleasant smile while going out, curtseying here and there for the other Ladies. She knew Lady D'Ander would be talking about the events later, and started to think what was the meaning behind the small note she had found between her clothes in that morning.

Who could have put it in there....

OOC: Warning for implicit content!!! (Just tell me if it has to go)

Dennis had gotten tired of waiting for an answer, and was already attempting to look around Imar, but that lovely jester had left. He wondered where he had gone off to, and at the same time he was trying to think of a way to get rid of ponytail, and on top of that his blather had started to fill up.

Oooh! wait a minute! That would of course be the best excuse ever to get out of this conversation! He started shifting in his chair, and folded one leg over the other. He looked at ponytail intensely and wondered how a man could live with such skin as he unfolded his little sharade further by wiggling more on his chair.

"I'm sorry to interrupt this very interesting conversation, but I'm affraid I have to use the little boys room. Be right back, hun."

Dennis slipped away, and left a stunned Imar. He didn't care too much, he simply had to find that jester, and find out more about him, but first things first. As he walked out the grand hall he wondered whether the toilets would be as soft and silky, and asked a purdy knight where he could find them.

The bathrooms were indeed gorgeous, although Dennis would never have put in golden taps, a gypsy wouldn't even want golden taps, of course gypsies didn't even have taps, they had wells, but that didn't matter. In his opinion the only place you could possibly use gold was in money. He undid his trousers, and sighed as he emptied his blather in the porcelain toilet.

But my oh my! Who was that? Dennis had to control his urges to not swing around (it wouldn't have made a very good impression to splatter his dear jester under pee), but there he was. Adrian had stept into the bathroom as well, and stood next to him. And, wow, did he have nice equipment, his belt was heavy under it. Dennis could see some juggling cones, and a set of multicoloured balls, he certainly wouldn't mind playing with them once!

He shook off, and did his pants back up.

"You know, I noticed you before...and it so happens that I think we should work together."

Dennis hoped that he had looked manly enough to pull this off, and tensely waited for an answer.

Imar suddenly slips into a vacant trance, his eyes glazing momentarily, just as he was going to say something else to Dennis. There was a momentary buzzing in his ears that foretold an incoming message from one of his compatriots back home. A businessman with a small network of contacts, Imar had found use for a mystic who, for some fee, trained him and most of his higher-level lieutenants in a limited form of telepathy useful for long distance communication. It proved occasionally essential to his business, but mostly led to extraneous, unnecessary, or redundant conversations, such as this one.

The conversation went something like this:

“Hey boss, we’ve got some big news for ya!”

Really?

“Yeah, this guy, he says that there’s a huge shipment of silk coming in from someplace called Phantasia, methinks we might be able to hijack it!”

You don’t say. Do you have the capacity to handle this job?

“Sure, boss, just waiting for your command.”

Go for it.

“Um, great. When will you be here?”

I’m preoccupied. I think you can handle this yourself.

“But boss…”

You heard me.

Imar then closed his mind, the equivalent to hanging up on some pesky telemarketer. It wasn’t hard, telepathy was only possible between two willing participants, and as soon as one participant chose, a conversation could be ended instantaneously…very convenient when dealing with insecure, if not outright inept, subordinates. He was sure his lieutenant could handle this one. Besides, he now had bigger, more interesting fish to fry. Speaking of which, where was he…

When Alfonso snapped his fingers to call the nearest servant to fill his glass he was surprised at the lack of reaction. The rogue waited exactly as long as he could and when he did fill the glass, he carefully filled it right to the brim so that Alfonso had to be very careful not to splash as he took his first sip.

The incident wasn't really a problem--Alfonso had perfect hand control but it was offensive. What had gotten into the servants to make them think he wasn't as important as anyone. This was the second one to annoy him today. Clearly, he would have to talk to someone about the help these days.

Still, he was beginning to wonder if it wasn't something more serious a little bit later. He tried to engage the dashing woman next to him in conversation and after a quick smile she quickly turned away.

However, nothing was final until later on. When the King arrived with pomp he had an announcement. "There is one among you who we have all welcomed. Since he came he has been given a position teachign horseback riding and we were all pleased with him. However, now the court bubbles with discontent about him. Alfonso de Margarita you are hereby banished from this city for five years. Be gone before noon next or your head will be your penalty."

"Que hijos de..." - Alfonso murmured, and turned to leave the audience chamber.

Three hours later he had already packed and was in his stables, saying goodbye to the only companions who had ever considered him for what he truly was. A pity that humans could not learn from their faithful, four-legged companions. Coming to a sudden decision he threw open the stable's double doors, and started untying the horses and releasing them to their freedom. He had brought most of the them here, and after what the court, instead of thanking him, just sent him away, he felt they did not deserve to be served by horses he had trained.

As the last of the horses galopped off towards the late afternoon sun, Alfonso turned and surveyed the remaining two horses in the stable. Gentle Miel, and fiery Fuego. These two had grown especially close to his heart and the choice was not easy.

The sun was setting in the distance, when leading Miel, Alfonso knocked on the door Lady D'Ander's home. As he had guessed it was Erilyn who opened the door, as her status required her to follow her lady's orders.

"I'm sorry that I had to cancel today's riding lesson." - Alfonso said. "But as you must have seen, I am no longer desired around here." He shrugged. He glanced at Erilyn's face, the last rays of the sun bathing one side in an orangeish light. "It is neither the tiempo, nor the lugar, for me to say what I had wanted to tell you during today's lesson, but I would like you to accept this mare, Miel is her nombre." Alfonso placed his hand over Erilyn's and when he withdrew it, Erilyn was holding the bridle of Miel, who gently turned to her, and nuzzled her with her nose.

"She likes you." - Alfonso said, turning away to hide his own expression and feelings.

"You have to leave?" - Erilyn asked.

"I have no choice in the matter, if I wish to survive." - Alfonso said, and with one last glance at Erilyn he turned and walked the twenty meters to the next street corner, where he had left Fuego. The black stallion, sensing Alfonso's feelings, did not neigh in happyness upon its master's return. Alfonso set off at a slow pace down the street. Erilyn was still outside, gently caressing Miel's neck.

Alfonso, unable to speak rode past speechless, but her voice calling after him, stopped him.

"Alfonso!"

"Si?" - he said turning back, and noticed Erilyn running after him. Coming alongside Fuego, she put a foot in the stirrup, and pushing herself up, kissed Alfonso. Alfonso was taken aback, he never knew that she shared his feelings, and now it was all too late. It was painful, but he had to leave. He did not want to risk endangering Erilyn. He gently pushed her away.

"Yo tengo que go away. And you have to stay aqui." - he said, even though it was painful to do so. "I hope nosotros shall meet again Erilyn."

"Where are you going?" - she asked him, not wanting to let go. Not now.

"I'm not sure yet. So far I had only been thinking of leaving this place, and not much about the destination. I shall probably be going East though. A cousin of mine, named Eduardo is the smith in the first village towards the East. I shall tell him where I shall be going."

"I will follow you, Alfonso. As soon as I can. If you will have me."

Alfonso nodded, wondering whether the bad turn his life had taken today would soon be compensated. Erilyn kissed him again, and this time Alfonso returned the kiss.

"I have to go." - he whispered, and at the exact same moment, Miel, having walked after Erilyn nudged her hand. Erilyn descended from the stirrup, and for a long time watched Alfonso dwindling towards the distance.

OOC: thanks to Tanuchan for approving Erilyn's actions. :)

Edited by Patrick Durham

Adrian couldn't belive his eyes! Dennis had just walked into an empty bathroom outside the great hall. He had noticed Dennis' interested looks in the hall, as had everyone else who had at least one eye open, and wanted to know what his intentions were. Truth be told, he could quite easily guess what his intentions were. He had heard rumors about Dennis' "companions." On the other hand, if Dennis had also recieved a clue, he might have a good chance of getting it out of him, now that he and Dennis had some privacy.

He walked over to the toilet next to Dennis and relieved himself.

"You know, I noticed you before...and it so happens that I think we should work together," Dennis said as he was just finishing.

Adrian allowed himself a slight smile. This would be easier than he thought.

"I was thinking the same thing," he said, turning to face him. "I heard you tell Imar that you had some information you belive may help find our dear departed Princess? It just so happens that I have some information as well. Would you care to trade? But wait, not here. It's not a safe place to talk so openly. Why don't you come by my apartments tonight, after second watch begins?"

Adrian was almost blinded by the light shining from Dennis' eyes. Dennis was just about to open his mouth to say something, but Adrian put a finger to Dennis' lips.

"Shh, I'll see you tonight." And without another word, before Dennis could even turn around, he swept out of the room. Closing the door behind him, and allowing himself a quiet chuckle, he hurried down the hallway and out of sight.

Wordless he stood there for a couple of seconds, and noticed how his own pants tightened around his hips. Then Dennis made a little jump and clicked his heels together, with a little ‘yeeha’ he landed again. A bit calmer he straightened his clothes, and looked in the mirror to see if his excitement wasn’t too visible on his face, and to admire the lips that were touched by the handsome jester. He smiled a broad smile, showing his pearly white teeth to himself, and turned around again to take another deep breath.

He had a rendez-vous with Adrian! A real date! Oh my god, what should he wear? He had to look his absolute best for him, of course. Again he looked in the mirror, but while he was looking at his face, and trying some smiles, something dawned on him.

He wasn’t exactly there to flirt with handsome men of course; he was there to find a princess. Darn, why did those stupid women always manage to get themselves lost. With a smirk Dennis concluded that he would have to give this priority, surely Adrian would understand, and possibly he would love him even more when he was chosen to be the hero of the day.

He straightened his clothes, ignored the by now uncomfortable tight feeling in his pants, and wandered back into the dining room, hoping that he would be able to catch another glimpse of Adrian before they would be dismissed.

OOC: We tried to keep this from Lady D'Ander's POV but Erilyn's parts were written by Tanny

IC:

Lady D'Ander stroked her brush carefully through her hair. Her hair tangled so very easily, which is why she usually had Erilyn do it. But Erilyn had gone to answer the door (what was taking the woman so long?) and Lady D'Ander had a party tonight, for which she didn't want to be late. So she sat on the not-so-comfy stool in front of her vanity, brushing her own hair.

Finally Erilyn came back into the room and took over.

"So, who was at the door?" queried Lady D'Ander.

Erilyn took some seconds to answer, a bit startled by her Lady's voice. "Just Alfonso." The maid untangled Lady D'Ander's hair deftly, managing to not pull it. The young woman was much better than she'd been when she first started working for her.

"Oh yes, Alfonso. Pity about him, hmmm? Well, it's actually a good thing. Now I'll have you Thursday evenings again, and just as fall fashions start to come in. I'll need your help picking out a dress tonight, by the way. Anyway, whatever came into your head - riding lessons! A maid! - I don't know, but I'll certainly miss the occasional ride with him myself. I do love horses."

Erilyn nods, sighing inwardly. "He was a good company, m'lady. He certainly had good looks and was able to impress most of us."

"Oh, yes! He had nice shoulders, for sure. But he talked very strangely. A woman can't end up with a man who can't even speak decent english."

"However, Spanish can be of advantage, m'lady. A trusted man who can understand what potential enemies talk behind our backs is valuable. You yourself commented this some nights ago."

The noblewoman nodded, wondering briefly why Erilyn was defending him, but immediately forgot as her mind drifted on to other things, and eventually back to recent events. "Erilyn! Did you know, today a man was flirting with me, but he was being very shy about it? I'm going to have to find him again, and see if I can't get him to show his affections a little more openly. He was certainly very good-looking, and I like a man who's decently shy. But it shouldn't be up to the woman to do the courting, either."

Erilyn finished her hair, and Lady D'Ander stood up while her maid went to the wardrobe and picked out a few dresses. As the girl brought them forward, Lady D'Ander remembered something else.

"Erilyn! D'you know what? The other night, someone gave me a very funny note. Something about a tree and three people. It didn't make much sense. And ... and ... you don't think it was one of the other women, do you?"

"What did it say, m'lady?"

Lady D'Ander was distracted. "Huh? Oh, the note! Just something about a tree. I think it said two men and a woman. But what if he wasn't looking at me at all? Surely I'm not losing my charm."

"You don't remember who gave you the note, m'lady? It might be either an invitation for a meeting, or someone trying to warn you about a dangerous meeting... and it's impossible for any man not noticing you, m'lady."

"Oh, dear, I hope you're right. An invitation? No, it was very mysterious. Just said something about these people that had already met. Whyever should I care about a meeting that already happened? At any rate, I simply must know his name."

"Maybe the meeting was important for you, m'lady... and if it involved this man who is interested in you? You wouldn't want to have him deceiving you. And if you describe him to me, if it is your wish I might find out his name."

"Oh! Would you do that for me? He had very nice hair. Long. Very well-dressed, too. He obviously has pride in his appearance; he stood out among everyone else there today."

"I know who he is... his name is Dennis. But my lady should be sure that the meeting you were warned about does not include him. It would be terrible if any of the other women were using him as a plot against you."

"Oh, don't be silly. A plot? Oh, you're thinking about the Princess gone missing! But what would anyone have against me? Anyway, this will have to be the last dress I try on, or I'll be late. Maybe this Dennis - what an odd way to pronounce it - will be there. Yes yes, don't fuss, I'll be careful. But either he's interested, or he's not, and if he's not, well, I guess I'll just have to be devastated. But you've already told me he can't help but be entranced."